Photo

Bicycle racing on GP and other race tracks (merged)

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 16:36

I have been a great fan of F1 ever since I can remember and just started to follow cycling regularly a couple of years ago, the main reason was Marco Pantani and my own little biking tours with my friends. I got hooked. Now Pantani isnt riding anymore, but I still watch the Giro and the Tour almost everyday.

Today ARD was showing some pictures from the old Nurburgring where the cycling world championships took place, propably in the 60s. Rudi Altig won the race. I got the impression that the Nurburgring was also a legendary route for the bikers, not only for motor racing. Then I remembered that the Circuit de Catalunya was home of the cycling race of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Can you guys give a few more examples of grand prix tracks, that also hosted cycle racing?

Advertisement

#2 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 16:46

My dad is really into cycling, and when I was a kid as well as taking me to Brands Hatch on Sunday for car races, he used to go on a Thursday evening during the summer months where they had bike racing.

They used to vary the track quite a lot - and also the direction (you can do that on bikes - no need for gravel traps and the like!). Going backwards around the Indy circuit was always harsh - the drag up to Paddock Hill Bend being something of a killer even with the run down from Druids!

Onew time they raced the GP circuit - but bypassed the Indy track effectively linked the GP loop with the McLaren section of the Indy circuit. This made for a VERY tight turn - since McLaren was cambered and laid out to take cars the other way. Its hard to explain, but if you know Brands you will understand!

It was cool to watch, because you could actually get on to the track, muck about in the pits, pick up old bits of rubber and get up onto the race winners podium as well - basically you had the run of the place.

One time we went, back in 1986, Ferrari had been testing during the day, and were still loading up when the bike racers arrived in the evening. I got to watch the mechanics pack away and then watched the cycling action with them on the pit wall!

IIRC in 1988 The Tour de France had a stage which finished on the Spa circuit (of course this is partly public roads). The cyclists were again running backwards - along the main straight (name??), through Eau Rouge, then the hard slog up to La Source where the finish was.

I think they also had a finish of the Tour at Le Mans as well.

#3 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 16:52

I once took part in a bicycle race at the Crystal Palace circuit (about 1960 I think)

I regret to say that I was lapped.

Anyway as I found out later, cars are more fun!

VAR1016 :smoking:

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 17:04

Originally posted by mikedeering
IIRC in 1988 The Tour de France had a stage which finished on the Spa circuit (of course this is partly public roads). The cyclists were again running backwards - along the main straight (name??), through Eau Rouge, then the hard slog up to La Source where the finish was.

That was in the legendary Tour of 1989! Still remember how disorientating it was to see them riding the track in the other direction for one full lap. Winner of the stage BTW was Raul Alcala, another Mexican win at Spa.......

#5 Drinky

Drinky

• 1,084 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 17:22

According to this list of World Road Cycling Championships there are several names of locations that should ring a bell to racing fans. The Nürburgring has actually been used thrice and in fact the very first WC was held there in 1927 (the other ones in 1966 & 1978). Other names include Monthléry (1933), Zandvoort (1959), Sachsenring (1960), Imola (1968), Zolder (1969), Montjuich (1973) and Goodwood (1982). I'm not sure whether or not the race was really held on the circuit, but it seems likely. Other possibilities include Rheims (1947, 1958), Berne (1936, 1961) or Montréal (1974) where the local circuit may also have been used.

#6 xjohnnyjaguarx

xjohnnyjaguarx

• 33 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 17:56

well this year the worldchampionships cycling are in zolder so

#7 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 19:08

Montreal used a different circuit (Mt. Royal) than the GP circuit. This years world Road Worlds will be at Zolder.

In addition here in NC, USA we do criterium races on a 3/8 mile oval, and 10 mile TT around Lowe's (Charlotte) Motor Speedway.

#8 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 20:41

The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, in Mexico City, is closed to cyclists on Thursday afteroons regularly. It is a great place to put kilometers in your legs since it is quite flat. Some of these days they race around the oval part of the course.

#9 DREW

DREW

• 462 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 20:51

Originally posted by VAR1016
I once took part in a bicycle race at the Crystal Palace circuit (about 1960 I think)

I regret to say that I was lapped.

How about a "How long will it take to lap VAR1016?" competition?

;)

DREW

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 22:35

I believe that Rouen was used on a number of occasions for stages of the Tour de France

#11 Liam

Liam

• 504 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 22:59

My Dad has told me about going to see a cycling race at "a circuit near Leicester in England. It must have been prety big as Dad was not one for travelling from Ireland. If I remember the story it sounds like the World Championship's with the orad race held at the circuit. I think it might be Mallory Park, but I'm not sure. Anyone spread some light on it?

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 22:59

As Drinky says, Reims was used for the cycling world championships in 1947 and 58. It was also used for the French championship in 1960.

THe French championships were held at Rouen in 1961 and 1963, the Criterium National de la route was held there in 1967 and 68, and the French amateur championships in 1969.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 23:49

Lakeside used to be made available for cyclists at about 5pm every day during the week... or was that some days during the week?

Anyway, road racing cyclists had plenty of practice there, if not actual races.

I reckon Mt Panorama would make a tough test for any cycle race... don't know if it's ever been used, but a race from the top of the hill to the start/finish line in either direction wouldn't require much pedalling to frighten the most intrepid speed nerd!

Man, do they make sprockets that big?

#14 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 00:06

I have a yellow jersey, no less, presented to me with due ceremony and emblazoned with the words 'STAGE WINNER - 2000 TOUR OF ADELAIDE'. I still walk with a limp, and continue to apply the cold cream...

DCN :

#15 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 06:08

In South Africa Kyalami was used for fun rides and training. My Dad cycled on the old Kyalami in 1987, I cycled on the reworked Kyalami track in 1991 and 1992. Up to last year one could go to Kyalami and train on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays in the morning and evenings. The Zwarkops race track host a race event every 3 to 4 months, with the next event on the 4th August and then the 3 November.
:up: :smoking:

#16 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 06:25

Brands Hatch was build in a place originally used for cyclists.

#17 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,901 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 06:30

I am not certain about the year anymore but it must have been the late 70's.

Another world cycling championship was held on the Nurburgring in I believe 1977 or therabout. It became a dash for the finish between Francesco Moser and Dutchman Gerrie Kneteman. Moser should have won that sprint with ease but took it easy just a little bit too early and Kneteman beat Moser with millimeters as the finishfoto revealed.

Any Duthc also cylcing fans remember the year? I know it created an uproar that Kneteman won that title because he was one of the heroes in Dutch cycling.

Henri Greuter

#18 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:03

Every year a charity bike race called "The Tour de Combe" takes place, running the wrong way around Castle Combe. I took part once, and made the mistake of having no previous practice or equivalent fitness.......... I finished, but wasn't quite as active as usual on my marshalling post that afternoon.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:25

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
I am not certain about the year anymore but it must have been the late 70's.

Another world cycling championship was held on the Nurburgring in I believe 1977 or therabout. It became a dash for the finish between Francesco Moser and Dutchman Gerrie Kneteman. Moser should have won that sprint with ease but took it easy just a little bit too early and Kneteman beat Moser with millimeters as the finishfoto revealed.

Any Duthc also cylcing fans remember the year? I know it created an uproar that Kneteman won that title because he was one of the heroes in Dutch cycling.

Henri Greuter

That was 1978 for sure! Moser was known to be a fast finisher, Knetemann was known as a "flat-iron" as they call it, and never sprinted in a full pack. However, Knetemann can be very dangerous in a tactical sprint-a-deux, certainly after a gruelling 260+ kms (12 laps) on the ol' Nordschleife, and he took Moser by surprise.

Advertisement

#20 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:34

Originally posted by scheivlak

That was in the legendary Tour of 1989! Still remember how disorientating it was to see them riding the track in the other direction for one full lap. Winner of the stage BTW was Raul Alcala, another Mexican win at Spa.......

For the old 7-Eleven team! And yes, I think legendary is the only word for the 1989 event.

The 1982 World Championships were run at the Goodwood circuit - as already stated.

#21 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:42

Laguna Seca is used for the Sea Otter Classic in March each year. It features some fairly serious Road and Mountain Bike races.

Neil

#22 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:42

Here you go Liam.

Venue - Mallory Park
Year - 1970
Winner - Jean-Pierre Monseré

Cycling Archives

#23 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 07:50

Originally posted by Option1
Laguna Seca is used for the Sea Otter Classic in March each year. It features some fairly serious Road and Mountain Bike races.

Neil

The corkscrew on a bicycle would be "interesting" - rather scary to go down, rather tiring to try and go up...

#24 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 08:08

Here in the U.S., I'm aware of...

Laguna Seca (mentioned, but it was used back in the mid-70's for "La Contienda de las Colinas")
Riverside (60's)
Watkins Glen (also c. mid-70's)
Long Beach GP circuit (held a short race on practice day in 1976)

There were so many accidents in the Long Beach cycling event that the organizers dropped it...it made the insurance rates go up!.

Jim Thurman

#25 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 12:30

I also forgot Portland International Raceway--they have a training race series there weekly.

#26 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 16:11

Yeah, I remember the '78 race on the Nürburgring - I watched it for the whole of its duration!!!! :eek:

Dijon-Prenois was also used as a stage finish of the TdF around the time, I recall.

#27 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 17:55

Originally posted by Jim Thurman

Watkins Glen (also c. mid-70's)

Jim Thurman

Jim - we also had bicycle racing at the Watkins Glen circuit as early as 1956 and in to the early 60's. I'm not aware of any others - beyond the ones you mention in the mid-70's.

#28 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:50

A cycle race was held a couple of hours before the 1987 Hungarian GP, IIRC it was a round of the Hungarian Championship.

F1 drivers and mechanics took part in a cycle race during the 1993 Brazlian GP weekend, J.J. Lehto won.

#29 maxim

maxim

• 137 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 11:29

Originally posted by fines
Yeah, I remember the '78 race on the Nürburgring - I watched it for the whole of its duration!!!! :eek:

I watched it too and I still wonder how Moser could have lost that final sprint against Knetemann :( .

#30 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 11:33

Originally posted by Geza Sury
A cycle race was held a couple of hours before the 1987 Hungarian GP

I bet there was more overtaking....

#31 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 12:09

Some years ago, one stage of Vuelta Espana was finished on Estoril circuit - going the opposite way.

#32 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 12:48

A bicycle race for drivers was held at one of the South American GP's in 1977.

I know it was 1977 because it was then that Lazza Perkins was driving the Rotary sponsored BRM.

As I recall the BRM was too big for its crate and didn't get there for the race.

Anyway Larry had the consolation of winning the bike race.

Somebody will know whether this was Brazil or Argentina. Hopefully they'll also be able to confirm if there really was a programme for one or other race where Larry Perkins phot actually comprised of a shot of Derek Bell with John Lennon glasses drawn on.

#33 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 12:58

Originally posted by byrkus
Some years ago, one stage of Vuelta Espana was finished on Estoril circuit - going the opposite way.

A running theme here seems to be bicycle races being run in the opposite direction to normal. Is this perhaps related to Bernie's concern of a rival series lapping faster on a Grand Prix circuit than the F1 cars? :)

#34 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 18:32

Watcing todays Tour coverage, David Duffield (hope spelling is ok)mentioned that amateur cycling races have been held on the Isle of Man TT circuit. Todays stage 2nd place rider Mengin did race there, also Sean Kelly.

#35 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 18:40

Back when Penthouse magazine was sponsoring a Grand Prix team I remember they had a PR stunt when they had a bike race around either Silverstorne or Brands Hatch involving some of their pets sans clothes.

I wonder if they auctioned off the bicycle seats! :stoned:

#36 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 19:30

Louis Stanley's report on the German Grand Prix in his 1966 annual has a photo of three cyclists with the caption; The day's activities began at 7.30 a.m. with a 6-lap cycle race.

#37 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 19:55

It seems to have been a travelling show!

#38 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 20:13

Originally posted by DREW

How about a "How long will it take to lap VAR1016?" competition?

;)

DREW

Well of course there has been a certain amount of entropy since then, so on a bicylce, about five minutes.

On the other hand I am still quicker than some of the Integrales in my 1600 Fulvia!

VAR1016 :smoking:

#39 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 23:14

Originally posted by Dennis David
Back when Penthouse magazine was sponsoring a Grand Prix team I remember they had a PR stunt when they had a bike race around either Silverstorne or Brands Hatch involving some of their pets sans clothes.

I wonder if that is where the photo for the Queen double A-Side Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls came from !!! :D

Advertisement

#40 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 23:23

Originally posted by LittleChris

I wonder if that is where the photo for the Queen double A-Side Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls came from !!! :D

That was actually shot at a London football ground (Loftus Road, I think) - the bikes were loaned by the manufacturers, who later billed Queen for the saddles, on the grounds that they had been returned "soiled" :eek: :lol:

#41 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 08:11

Back in the 50's and sixties they used the circuit de Pau for an etape finish in the Tour de France..
Paul

#42 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 19:11

Originally posted by Dennis David

Seats? What seats? :smoking:

#43 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 12:58

Well yesterday afternoon I whent to a training ride at kyalami and track is not as easy as it looks on the tv. The up hills are UP HILLS but there is always the mine shaft to the a AA bowl. :up: :up:

A cycling shop has been giving access to the track for people to train on every Tuesday, Wedsenday, Thursday afters with some weeks there been no train because of racing that saturday at the track. :smoking:

#44 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 14:17

I can imagine riding throuigh the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. A freind of mine says it's really scary racing a motorcycle on that track.

#45 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 14:35

Catalina Park in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney held a 24 hour teams event a few years ago. Me and some mates were going to go in it but didn't get ourslves organised in time

#46 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 15:28

Mike Lang states in his book 'Grand Prix!' that a 5 lap bicycle race was held prior to the German Grand Prix in 1964. According to the website that Drinky suggested in his earlier post, it wasn't part of the World Cycling Championship. Lang only states that the riders lapped the course in reverse order. What kind of race it was then?

#47 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 20:13

Hi there,
got some pics from trhe nuerburgring....can anybody identify some of the teams or riders?
Apart from the last picture....any ideas which part of the track?
enjoy martin

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 00:44

This is me on a hot lap of Silverstone the day after the 1983 GP. Lap time about 9 minutes as I recall.

Posted Image

#49 gerrit stevens

gerrit stevens

• 248 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 19:26

Originally posted by Martin Roessler
Hi there,
got some pics from trhe nuerburgring....can anybody identify some of the teams or riders?
Apart from the last picture....any ideas which part of the track?
enjoy martin

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the year is 1966 but I can't recognise the riders. I think the leader on the top picture coulkd be a Dutchman and he looks a bit like Evert Dolman. This would mean it is the amateur race (Dolman won this race).
But I am not sure.
If it is a picture from 1978 than it is certainly the amateur race, because it rained during the pro race.

Gerrit Stevens

#50 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:35

Bicycle races have been held in the US at Road America trtack at Elkhart Lake Wisconsin