Photo

Gilles and Lotus in 1979

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 03:55

Please forgive me if this has been covered before (or the full story is in one of the Lotus books - right now my little library is boxed a-waiting another relocation) but can any one supply more details on just how close Villeneuve came to replacing Ronnie in 1979. I recollect that Chunky had the choice (maybe even so far as having a contract signed by Gilles) between Gilles and Reutemann and chose Reutemann.

Did Gilles ever test for Lotus? Is my recollection anywhere close to what happened? Why did they go for Reutemann? Was it a Lotus decision or a Martini one?

I guess I'm particularly curious as Gilles (even at that early stage) just seemed so much the kind of talent that Chapman would have gone for (think Clark, Rindt, Peterson).......

Advertisement

#2 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:47

I don't believe Villeneuve was ever offered a Lotus contract. In Donaldson's book he is quoted as saying that he "always thought it would be fantastic to drive for Colin Chapman" but that was at the time his future at Ferrari was uncertain.

On September 6, Gilles was summoned to Ferrari's office where he signed a new contract for 1979. Ferrari had asked everyone on the team, even the mechanics, and all were of the opinion that Villeneuve should stay.

#3 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 12:40

In the same Donaldson book, it mentions Gilles negotiating with McLaren in the pits at Montreal one year, using the McLaren pitboard as a basis for negotiations! I think Ron Dennis would put up a number, then Gilles would wander over and double Ron's number. Ron would then counter with a number somewhere between the two, and so on. I think this was in 1981 - but Gilles in the end elected to stay with Ferrari, citing the fact that he had already verbally agreed with Enzo to stay for 1982 and didn't want to go back on this.

#4 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 03:02

Interesting. I dug out Crombac's book. At the beginning of Chapter 19 Jabby says

"Colin was undecided as to who should replace Ronnie Peterson as Mario Andretti's partner. In September 1978 I had flown over to England to visit the Hethel factory with a team from my magazine in order to road test the Esprit S2. While we were there Colin sent a message to say that he wanted me to join him for lunch. A car was sent to collect me and take me to Ketteringham Hall, where he told me: 'I have here on my desk two contracts, one of which I have to sign this afternoon. One is for Carlos Reutemann, the other for Gilles Villeneuve. If you were in my shoes, which contract would you sign?' I replied: 'Mario is one of the most frequent travellers on Concorde, as he has kept his home in America. I cannot see him doing this for many more years and I feel he may soon retire from Formula 1 racing. Carlos Reutemann is also close to the end of his career and, if you pick him, you may have to find two new drivers by the 1981 season. This would seriously disrupt the smooth running of the team, and therefore 1 think you should sign up Villeneuve.'
As it came about, Colin signed Reutemann, but there were rumours at the time that Lotus had received some financial inducement to do so from Goodyear. They were keen to have under their wing a driver who had just come across from a team (Ferrari in this case) which had successfully been using the Michelin radial tyres, a technology with which Goodyear were not familiar in competition."

IIRC I saw and heard that at the time too. Anyone know more?