Photo

Georges Gachnang and Cegga racing cars

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 20:50

Can any member suggest a book, magazine article, site or thread, or provide information of their own on the history of Cegga cars? I think Georges Gachang's company has produced many karts more recently (if it is the same company) but it is the Maserati and Ferrari engined machines about which I would like to know more.

John

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 21:11

Originally posted by humphries
Can any member suggest a book, magazine article, site or thread, or provide information of their own on the history of Cegga cars? I think Georges Gachang's company has produced many karts more recently (if it is the same company) but it is the Maserati and Ferrari engined machines about which I would like to know more.

John

As far as F1 is concerned, there are brief articles in Mike Lawrence's Grand Prix Cars 1945-65, DCN's Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-65 and David Hodges' A-Z of Grand Prix Cars and A-Z of Formula Racing Cars - the CEGGA was a fairly ordinary spaceframe 1.5l GP car with a Maserati 150S engine and gearbox in it. It was entered twice in non-championship races (I've seen both '61 and '62 claimed for this) for Maurice Caillet, 15s off the pace at Pau, dreams dashed, it later turned up hillclimbing.

They also apparently build a Bristol-powered sports car.

pete

#3 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 21:38

I remember I have read an article about the two Swiss brothers in L'Automobile, circa 1961 or 1962. Can't be more clear, sorry.

#4 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 00:22

Pete

Thanks for the reply. My apologies for not letting you know that I was aware of the brief mentions in those books.

Cegga - C laude E t G eorges G achang, A igle (CH) - reportedly built a Bristol engined coupe sports car for Le Mans in 1960 at Aigle. Some claim it was this car that finished 22nd. I always thought the drivers, Gachang and Wicky, drove an A.C.-Bristol possibly just modified. Can anyone supply photographic evidence?

A 3.0 litre Ferrari engined sports car was raced by Gachang at the Ring 1000km, 1961 (with Caillet) and 1962 (with Grob) and at Pescara in 1961 (with Caillet). What did it look like? Was it a modified 250TR or a creation of their own?

Vaguely I remember seeing a photo of a rather slab-like F1 Maserati car with the Tipo 63 Maser gearbox, but can I remember which book or magazine? No! How I wish I had indexed pieces of information over the years.

The F1 car was campaigned on the Swiss hills but with a 2.0 Maserati engine. Or was this a new car? Certainly a Ferrari 3.0 ( engine from the sports car? ) racing car proved useful on the climbs. But was it the original F1 car and/or the 2.0 car or another new chassis?

John

#5 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 19:50

I have kept in my files a photo of the Cegga-Ferrari F1 which was according to "l'automobile"
practised by Georges Gachnang at Monza 1966 (?). The article was probably published in 1967.
In the april 1969 issue, in an article covering the Geneva motor show, "l'automobile" gave a
short story of the Gachnang brothers whith photos of the new Cegga Maserati 3l sports car.
In the september 1969 issue of "l'automobile" there is a photo of the same car during a
hill climb race.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 20:28

Please can we sort out the definitive spelling of Gachnang/Gachang? I've always thought it was 'Gachnang' (sources Georgano, DSJ etc) but everyone on this thread so far except Marat has rendered it 'Gachang'. Is this another Hutchison type mystery?

#7 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 22:09

Gachang's car was at "Ollon-Villars (Grosser Bergpreis der Schweiz)" in 1965, finishing 16th in a hillclimb. The time appears to be the sum for two 8km runs.

16 184 Edouard Grob Cegga-Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa [0742] Georges Gachang 9m38.0 S-R/Prototype +2000

Full results here:- http://www.teamdan.c.../1965/65ch.html

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 16:18

Tim

I think you have spotted the deliberate mistake! Wake up the rest of the class!!

Sir

#9 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 18:42

I can add those examples about Gachnang/gachang.
1962 nuerburgring 1000Km.
Car n°94 Cegga-Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Drivers: Georges Gachnang-Edouard Grob
Entrant: Geoges Gachang.
Same race 1961: entrant Georges Gachnang.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:29

Tim

I think you have spotted the deliberate mistake! Wake up the rest of the class!!

Sir

Sir! Sir! Pleese Sir! Molesworth hav eaten my homewurk agian! And please Sir - are we absolutely sure that Gachnang is the correct spelling (especially in view of the posts from Geoff and Marat)?

#11 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:15

Sit down, Murray Minor. Do not let our enthusiasm smack of insubordination. Remember your homework - a detailed chronological history of all motorised vehicles produced by Cegga of Switzerland - is still required by tomorrow. You will not be impeded by Molesworth; he has just been garrotted.

Sir.

#12 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 16:16

Originally posted by Tim Murray

Sir! Sir! Pleese Sir! Molesworth hav eaten my homewurk agian! And please Sir - are we absolutely sure that Gachnang is the correct spelling (especially in view of the posts from Geoff and Marat)?

For what its worth, "Gachang" produced 390 Google hits, most of which appear to relate to a province in Korea. "Gachnang" produced 5,220 hits, most of which suggest that Gachnang is a European family name. Despite what it said on the site that I linked to, if I had to opt for one or the other then it would have to be the latter.

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 16:40

Sit down, Murray Minor. Do not let our enthusiasm smack of insubordination. Remember your homework - a detailed chronological history of all motorised vehicles produced by Cegga of Switzerland - is still required by tomorrow. You will not be impeded by Molesworth; he has just been garrotted.

Sir.

By tomorrow Sir? Not fair chiz chiz. :cry:

Anyway, for a start, a Google search on 'CEGGA' reveals that the Cegga Kart Racing team must still be linked to the Gachnangs, as Natacha Gachnang raced for the team in last year's Swiss Kart Championship. It also throws up this link:

http://www.barchetta...742TR.250TR.htm

which is a history of the 250TR owned for a time by the Gachnang brothers.

There may well be some other Google hits worth investigating, but I've run out of time for the moment.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 16:57

The Cegga F1 car is pictured in DSJ's Racing Car Pocketbook, published by Batsford in 1962 and which should set you back about a fiver from British shops which have it in stock (it is well worth getting, includes pics of the Lister F2 and Nacional Pescara and other rarities).

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 17:10

Originally posted by ensign14
The Cegga F1 car is pictured in DSJ's Racing Car Pocketbook, published by Batsford in 1962 and which should set you back about a fiver from British shops which have it in stock (it is well worth getting, includes pics of the Lister F2 and Nacional Pescara and other rarities).

A truly excellent work - so much information in such a small book. Mine cost me 3/6d (17.5p in the new money) - best value book I ever bought. Thanks DSJ. :clap:

#16 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 18:50

Thank you Ensign. A look along my more inaccessible shelves and I have found my copy. Like you say, an excellent little book. I notice, however, that DSJ spells the name Gachnang and Gachang, so if the gods can err what chance for us mere mortals?

As for you Murray Minor Ensign has saved your bacon, but even so, no decision has yet been made on your request for transfer to the sixth form at St.Trinians.

Sir

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:07

Bit more on Natacha Gachnang here - a year out of date, but she's in F3 this year: here.

Interesting if you look at what I assume is her nascent official website; only thing really on it is here management...

#18 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:21

Originally posted by marat
I have kept in my files a photo of the Cegga-Ferrari F1 which was according to "l'automobile"
practised by Georges Gachnang at Monza 1966 (?). The article was probably published in 1967.

Do you still have it on file marat ?
I've never seen a pic of the Cegga F1 before and am very interested.

#19 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 16:56

Twinny,
As it's been established that it's Gachnang could you change the thread title for the benefit of anybody searching in future?

Advertisement

#20 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 15:41

For sure its Gachnang, the family entered some cars in our Formula 1 demonstration events in the early 90's

#21 Xtof

Xtof

• 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 16:35

Definately its GACHNANG,

Those were my father and his brother who created the "Scuderia Cegga"

The last car they built was the cegga-maserati 3L in the late 60's. They stopped the competition and building cars in the very early 70's (can't remember exactly the year) after my uncle was involved in a very bad crash with their last creation. Later, my father rebuilded the car, wich they still own.

Posted Image

As for the AC , here is a pic taken in 1960

Posted Image

And one more pic of their 1964 cegga-maserati they still own also

Posted Image

Xtof

#22 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 17:13

And one more pic of their 1964 cegga-maserati

THAT is one very beautiful little car !!!!!!!!!

#23 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 17:37

Welcome to TNF, Xtof. I do hope you will tell us some more about your family and these fascinating cars.

#24 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:55

Any your niece is doing well in German F3