Photo

Bill Krause

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 mrob

mrob

• 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 01:43

I found this site which has an interview with Bill Krause. The article has some wonderful pictures of RIR, a drivers meeting featuring Krause, Penske, Foyt and others, and the Birdcage Maser.

http://www.themasera...com/Krause.html

Advertisement

#2 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,357 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:45

:wave:
THANKS MROB FOR THAT GREAT ARTICAL----------------- :up:

#3 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:32

There is a 3 pages article on Bill Krause on April 2003's MotorSport magazine writen by Willem Oosthoek. Nice intro for those, like me, who knew almost nothing about him apart from his name... :blush:

#4 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:08

It is just over fifty years since Bill Krause won at Riverside in the Birdcage. Here he is after signing the base of my model at Legends of Riverside earlier this year (that's Tony Settember to his right):

Posted Image

Vince H.

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 13:45

Last I heard, Krause's Riverside Times GP winning Maserati T-61 is in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum. Painted red, though, rather than the colors it had when Krause drove it.
Tom

#6 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 21:02

:clap: r.a. historian..please speak to eldougo about shouting...and spelling...ronmac..

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 21:19

:clap: r.a. historian..please speak to eldougo about shouting...and spelling...ronmac..

WHAT?

Yes, I see your point!
Tom

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 16:00

Here is the ex-Bill Krause D-Type (518) that he refers to in his interview in Post #1 as it appeared at Mallory Park this morning.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2010-10-20
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Gary Jarlson

Gary Jarlson

• 55 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 17:51

Bill Krause was one of the most spectacular and exciting drivers around in the early '60s. Although I had seen him win the Times GP in the Birdcage, it was sort of put down to the fact that the Lotus 19s driven by Gurney and Moss were too fragile and didn't make it to the finish. The event that put me firmly in the front row of the Krause cheering section was a relatively obscure SCCA race at Las Vegas in December, 1960. On Saturday, Krause's D-Jag Corvette had been lent out to run in the ladies' race and suffered transmission woes, leaving it with only 4th gear working. As the cars for the main event lined up for the standing start, Krause's crew rolled his car out and parked it about 30 yards behind the field. When the green flag fell, the crew push started the Jag. (In those days, the main event fields included everything from the big thumpers down to the 750cc tiddlers. Krause started dead last in a field of about 30 cars.) In very little time, Krause had driven into 2nd place behind Eric Hauser in the Lioncage Special. They went at it lap after lap, with Krause just not able to get by, particularly into Turn 1 where Hauser consistently slammed the door. Finally, Krause apparently had enough. Coming out of the last turn onto the short front straight, he whipped out from behind Hauser, dove down the pitline and re-emerged ahead onto the track going into Turn 1. I can only imagine what the officials standing at start finish thought as the two brutes of car roared past on either side at more than 100 mph. Hauser did eventually retake the lead and won the race. It'd always saddened me that Krause's career did not follow the trajectory I was certain it would. A lot of drivers in that time went on to a lot of success with considerably less talent than possessed by Bill Krause.

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 19:08

Gary: The following is from Willem Oosthoek:

"Gary, While I agree with everything you said about Bill Krause, the race you remember must have been on another track or another date. In December 1960 Paul O'Shea won at Las Vegas with Old yaller II, followed by Jack McAfee's Porsche and then the Lion Cage"

#11 Gary Jarlson

Gary Jarlson

• 55 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 21:01

Jerry

Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I was speaking about the Saturday race. I'm not sure that Krause even ran on Sunday. It was remarkable that, when I mentioned the Vegas race to Krause at the Legends of Riverside event, he recalled it in great detail.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:32

Gary: Wish you had not used the term main event, that is what threw Willem off. You are of course 100% right about the Saturday event. And Bill Krause is of course correct.

You have also noted that my late friend Eric Hauser was in the thick of the battle with Bill Krause .

Edited by Jerry Entin, 20 October 2010 - 23:44.

#13 Gary Jarlson

Gary Jarlson

• 55 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 00:10

Jerry

When I ran into Eric that Sunday he wasn't interested in being congratulated for his Saturday win. All he wanted to talk about was what Krause had done. He said he knew he couldn't have possibly lapped Krause that early in the race, so what was Krause doing right on his tail. It just flabbergasted him. Eric was one of the true characters of that era.

#14 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:08

Here is the ex-Bill Krause D-Type (518) that he refers to in his interview in Post #1 as it appeared at Mallory Park this morning.

As you said in the earlier Mallory Park post, the ex-Bill Krause D type is 519. Is this the one Nick Mason had?

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 21 October 2010 - 06:32.

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:24

I believe the ex-Bill Krause D type is 519. Does Nick Mason still have it?

Vince H.

The owner told me that it was #518 & told me he has documentary & photographic evidence including all the Van Dutch paint schemes, one of which he intends replicating.

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:36

Gary: Joe Scalzo did a very nice story on Eric Hauser, The forum members may be interested in reading about Eric. I will make a post on Eric.

Here is a link to that story as it appears on Tam's Old racer car site:
http://www.tamsoldra...adEHauser1.html

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 October 2010 - 06:40.

#17 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:54

The owner told me that it was #518 & told me he has documentary & photographic evidence including all the Van Dutch paint schemes, one of which he intends replicating.

That would be great to see.
Looking at pictures of Bill Krause in his Maserati Birdcage i spotted the Von Dutch Flying eyeball on the nose, was,nt he Bill Krause`s brother in law?

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:59

As you said in the earlier Mallory Park post, the ex-Bill Krause D type is 519. Is this the one Nick Mason had?
Vince H.

The owner told me that it was #518.

According to Coventry Racers, it is #519 and Nick Mason's is #516
http://www.coventryr...ail/?car=XKD519
http://www.coventryr...ail/?car=XKD516

#19 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:52

That would be great to see.
Looking at pictures of Bill Krause in his Maserati Birdcage i spotted the Von Dutch Flying eyeball on the nose, was,nt he Bill Krause`s brother in law?

Krause was indeed Von Dutch's brother-in-law. I will obtain further chassis number clarification on Sunday at the Masters / Top Hat meeting at Mallory where the car is due to race.

Advertisement

#20 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:36

I've just re-checked my notes and as per my earlier Mallory post, Jonathan did indeed tell me that the car is #519. :blush: I think the reg. put me off.

#21 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:15

Last I heard, Krause's Riverside Times GP winning Maserati T-61 is in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum. Painted red, though, rather than the colors it had when Krause drove it.
Tom

Yes the Birdcage is still in the Indy museum. My Dad used to own the car in the late 60's-
early 70's. The got it out of the museum for the Keenland concours in 2009 and I took
some pics of it:
Posted Image

You can see more pics and a video of it here:

http://www.cliffreut...om/maserati.htm

cliff reuter

#22 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 16:27

After he retired from racing, Bill had a car dealership on Century Blvd by the Los Angeles airport. He was one of the first US dealers for the new Honda cars, the tiny ones with the 2-cylinder 600cc engine.
In 1970 as I landed, I went to his dealership and bought one, my first car in my new country. I met Bill then, and he was the nicest person one could meet. The car had Cosmic 10" wheels and Bridgestone racing tires... Bill knew what made that rolling skate better!
I took this car all over the country and while I lost the climb to the mountains above Denver to the slowest of trucks, I won the downhill race, passing every car and truck that humiliated the asphyxiated machine at 12000 feet! :)
I see Bill regularly at events such as the Riverside reunion, and he still is as amiable as ever. He was a fierce racer in the day, and Art Evans describes his achievements quite well in his books.

#23 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 19:17

does anyone have contact details for Bill (PM then to me)?

Back in 1961/62ish according to Gary the son of R Vernon Jones, he bought the Revis 500 F3 car off his dad in a deal that involved some motorbikes.
I have no record of Bill in a F3 car so guess it was just a deal.

Posted Image

The Revis with Pierre Moin at the wheel (1957), by the time the Revis was on the west coast it was Red.

Richard.

#24 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 20:24

Posted Image
Bill Krause's D-Jag in the day, Bill Krause is next to car with arms crossed.

Bill Krause's D-type was indeed XKD-519 and did not have a tail fin. After a tedious cross-country trip, Bill showed up in the April 1959 USAC race at Daytona. In the program the engine size of the still Jaguar- powered car was described as an interesting 4.3 liter, which Bill confirmed as correct. The long trip to Florida turned out to be disappointing because Krause dropped out after only 13 laps.

all research: Willem Oosthoek
photo: Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 October 2010 - 20:43.

#25 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 23:13

Bill died last week after complications of dementia and strokes. It was 10th January, just after his 91st birthday. RIP.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 17 January 2024 - 05:46.

#26 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 06:56

Sad to hear. :( 

RIP, racer.

#27 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 18:24

(posted on behalf of Willem Oosthoek)

billy-krause-for-willem-2.jpg

Southern California, early 1950s. Before his dad bought him a D-type Jag in 1956, Bill Krause was involved in open wheel racing, competing with a midget that he built himself. Bill is seen here, second person standing on the right, in a dark shirt. Anybody else you recognize, Michael?

#28 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 19:51

(posted on behalf of Willem Oosthoek)

billy-krause-for-willem-2.jpg

Southern California, early 1950s. Before his dad bought him a D-type Jag in 1956, Bill Krause was involved in open wheel racing, competing with a midget that he built himself. Bill is seen here, second person standing on the right, in a dark shirt. Anybody else you recognize, Michael?

:up: I was just getting ready to post that Billy Krause was son of a noted midget auto owner, Arnold, and that Bill himself raced midgets.

The above photo, being a board track, is likely The Rose Bowl (or the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) in 1947 (EDIT: 1948 for Rose Bowl). Bill would have been a teenager then, before his racing days. I'll have to blow it up to see who I recognize.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 19 January 2024 - 00:19.

#29 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 20:05

Does the front row include Duane Carter, Manny Ayulo, Andy Linden and Jack McGrath?

#30 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 20:10

Does the front row include Duane Carter, Manny Ayulo, Andy Linden and Jack McGrath?

:up:  I don't know about Carter, but I definitely spot Ayulo, Linden, McGrath and, I think, Perry Grimm.

I'm not nearly as good at ID'ing midget racers, even West Coast drivers, as I am pre- and post-war sprint and Championship drivers.

#31 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 20:15

Bill told me once that his dad, Arnold Krause, as well as his uncle, Bert Krause, were involved in midget racing for a long time. Arnold ran a machine shop in Compton and fielded cars for Andy Linden and Walt Faulkner. Before the war he built a four-wheel-drive midget that was so fast that it was outlawed by the AAA. Young Bill's heroes were Duke Nalon and Rex Mays. It was his mom who steered him, after a couple of accidents, toward sports car competition. She deemed open wheel racing too dangerous. Arnold paid Jaguar less than $10,000 for the D-type in early 1956. Bill was 23 at the time, just when sports car racing took off in California.

#32 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 20:20

I do recognize Duane Carter and Jack McGrath. Sam Hanks in the back row?

Edited by WINO, 18 January 2024 - 20:21.

#33 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 20:43

George Amick, darkish overalls, 5th from right in the back row?

Edit - having seen the blown up version below, I withdraw this guess!

Edited by Collombin, 19 January 2024 - 13:16.

#34 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 22:17

Oh, Billy Krause raced Midgets for many years, well into the sixties. I never knew though that he was the son and nephew of the Krause brothers, Arnie & Bert - thinking about it, makes perfect sense! :lol:

About the picture, a bit too grainy (and my memory too hazy :blush:) to add much. Definitely Ayulo, Linden and McGrath in the front row, easy to spot. I think that's Jimmy Davies standing between the latter two. Don Freeland fifth from left (standing), Dempsey Wilson looking over his shoulder. Second from left looks a bit like Tony Bettenhausen, but I don't think it's him. Maybe Lyle Dickey kneeling, 5th from left. Several others look familiar, but I can't nail them down.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 18 January 2024 - 22:23.

#35 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 22:40

Michael,

I interviewed Bill at the time, and he never mentioned racing midgets again after the mid 1950s [well into the sixties? No way]. No records of that either and I don't think mom would have approved, especially after his parents spent close to $10,000 on a D-type. 

I got the picture from California midget racer Fred Chaparro, 89 years old now. He was born the exact same day as Elvis Presley. I will ask him if he can identify more people. I am pretty sure that is Sam Hanks with the dark helmet on the second row.

#36 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 23:07

I have Bill Krause "finishing" 17th (actually, crashed out on lap 5) at the USAC Ascot Park race the last day of 1961, December 31 (#62 Stitt/Offenhauser). He's also listed in the USAC National Midget standings of 1961, 105th (of 112) in points, so presumably his only USAC start that year. He was also competing in a USAC meeting at Saugus in December of 1959 in the Lew Bruns/Offenhauser #28 (ex-Jimmy Bryan, Andy Linden etc.), but apparently didn't make the main event.

#37 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 00:18

A couple of things here. Correcting myself, 194at The Rose Bowl. Also correcting that in my original post.

I believe most of Bill Krause's midget racing was with the URA, not USAC. 

Fred Chapparo! I dropped by Fred's book store in Burbank a couple of times to chat extensively with him. Ask Fred if he raced with, alongside, Bill. I believe their time in URA overlapped.

#38 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 00:33

George Amick, darkish overalls, 5th from right in the back row?

Collombin, possible, but I don't think so. I don't have George turning up in Southern California until late 1948, months after racing ended at The Rose Bowl. 

Oh, Billy Krause raced Midgets for many years, well into the sixties. I never knew though that he was the son and nephew of the Krause brothers, Arnie & Bert - thinking about it, makes perfect sense! :lol:

About the picture, a bit too grainy (and my memory too hazy :blush:) to add much. Definitely Ayulo, Linden and McGrath in the front row, easy to spot. I think that's Jimmy Davies standing between the latter two. Don Freeland fifth from left (standing), Dempsey Wilson looking over his shoulder. Second from left looks a bit like Tony Bettenhausen, but I don't think it's him. Maybe Lyle Dickey kneeling, 5th from left. Several others look familiar, but I can't nail them down.

When I blew it up, it is a bit grainy for me. There also appear to be mechanics and others in the photo as well. I think you're right about Don Freeland.

I have a spreadsheet of Rose Bowl results, the most complete of which has been temporarily mislocated following both a chaotic move, then a hard drive failure. Bettenhausen doesn't turn up in results, but was scheduled to participate in a match race against Sam Hanks! But, I don't think it's him either.

#39 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 00:36

And, par for my being master of the obscure, I have Perry Grimm to the left of Andy Linden (Linden's right). I also feel rather certain that is Corky Benson (with the moustache) two to the left of the young Billy Krause.

Advertisement

#40 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:09

Yes, Bill Krause probably raced a lot more locally than just the two races I mentioned, you don't get to drive a car like the Bruns/Offy without credentials (that's why I mentioned it), but I don't have records for other than his USAC appearances.

As for Bettenhausen, I said I don't think it's him because I don't have him racing in California at all between 1939 and the late fifties. Sam Hanks with the dark helmet is a distinct possibility, I just can't say because of the picture quality. The guys Jim identified as Benson and Grimm are two of the familiar faces I just couldn't place, and he's probably right - I haven't looked at midget driver pictures in quite some time. I don't see Carter or Amick in the picture, but I may be wrong. Oh, and I think that's Joe Garson next to McGrath!

Edited by Michael Ferner, 19 January 2024 - 09:11.

#41 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:22

(more from Willem)

Courtesy of Fred Chaparro's wife Krystine.

Krys1.jpg

Krys2.jpg

#42 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:35

Michael,

In June 1998 I sat down with Bill in his Palos Verdes Estates home for an interview that took most of the day. It covered his midget, sports car, GT, Formula Junior and Indy car adventures. I am sure that if he had done midget racing post 1956, he would have mentioned it. It looks as though his two midget appearances in 1959 and 1961 were more ad hoc than having anything to do with racing midgets full time.

Thanks to Fred Chaparro's wife Krystine I now have a good number of drivers identified in the group photo. I will ask Tim Murray to post the photos and the names. And he did already!

Edited by WINO, 19 January 2024 - 12:43.

#43 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 13:27

I checked the 1961 USAC Yearbook and Michael is right, Krause's name does appear with one midget race and a purse of 44 dollars. Compare that to 1961 midget champ Jimmy Davis with 48 races and a purse of $9,882. No mention of Krause in the 1959 Yearbook.

#44 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 14:05

Ha! I was having second thoughts about Dempsey Wilson, looking at the chap kneeling on the left! I think Krystine is right, and that's Dempsey, not the guy peeking over Freeland's shoulder.  :up:

Edited by Michael Ferner, 19 January 2024 - 14:06.

#45 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 15:42

As an aside, I have pretty good records of AAA racing at the Bowl in 1948, so why not post them here:

Rose Bowl, Pasadena/CA, 1/5 of a mile board track (though some sources say 1/4 mile)

1948 season, AAA sanction (Pacific Coast Championship), Wednesday nights

Jul 28, Opening meet (sanction # 48-12M), promoters Alexis "Lex" Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 14

50 laps

1 (started 3rd) Joe Garson (Meyer/Offenhauser #24?), 11'02.20"

2 (1) Sam Hanks

3 (2) Fletcher Pierce

4 (6) Dee Toran

5 (4) Bob Carroll

6 (8) Gordon Reid

7 (14) Lyle Dickey

8 (13) Manuel Ayulo

Lap Leader: Garson (52 %)

Fast time: Dickey

Trophy Dash (5 laps): 1 Reid 1'04.28" (Track Record), 2 Hanks, 3 Toran, 4 Dickey

Heat 1 (10): 1 Jack Habermehl 2'14.73", 2 Andy Linden, 3 Corky Benson

H2 (10): 1 Carroll 2'10.25" (TR), 2 Hanks, 3 Pierce

H3 (10): 1 Tubby Gonzales 2'12.09", 2 Cecil Green, 3 Garson

Semi 1 (12): 1 Hanks 2'34.30" (TR), 2 Garson, 3 Danny Harrison, 4 Bill Sheffler, 5 Green, 6 Benson

S2 (12): 1 Pierce 2'36.57", 2 Carroll, 3 Toran, 4 Reid, 5 Linden, 6 Norm Holtkamp

Consy (15): 1 Ayulo 3'13.00", 2 Dickey, 3 Chuck Leighton, 4 Des McCauley, 5 Spec Frieden

Aug 4, # 2 (sanction # 48-17M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 17

50 laps

1 (1) Bob Carroll (Demmitt/Offenhauser #54) 11'01.90" (TR)

2 (3) Cecil Green

3 (4) Lyle Dickey

4 (6) Gordon Reid

5 (11) Sam Hanks

6 (13) Andy Linden

Lap Leader: Carroll (100 %)

Fast time: n/a

TD (5): 1 Jack Habermehl 1'04.37", 2 Joe Garson, 3 Dickey, 4 Linden

H1 (10): 1 Norm Holtkamp 2'14.22", 2 Dempsey Wilson, 3 Habermehl, 4 Bob Kelsey

H2 (10): 1 Bud Kelleher 2'14.84", 2 Dee Toran, 3 Corky Benson, 4 Hanks

H3 (10): 1 Duke Nalon 2'10.42", 2 Carroll, 3 Green, 4 Dickey

S1 (12): 1 Carroll 2'35.10", 2 Green, 3 Holtkamp, 4 Danny Harrison

S2 (12): 1 Nalon 2'36.52", 2 Dickey, 3 Reid, 4 Wilson

C (15): 1 Linden 3'15.25", 2 Fletcher Pierce, 3 Marty Kline, 4 Benson

Aug 11, # 3 (sanction # 48-20M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 20

50 laps

1 (4) Joe Garson (Meyer/Offenhauser #24) 11'11.90"

2 (1) Sam Hanks

3 (3) Norm Holtkamp

4 (2) Corky Benson

5 (8 or 9) Bob Carroll

6 (6) Gordon Reid

7 (12 or 14) Lyle Dickey

Lap Leader: Hanks (60 %)

TD (5): 1 Garson 1'04.11" (TR), 2 Andy Linden, 3 Hanks, 4 Dickey

H1 (10): 1 Don Freeland 2'11.50", 2 Garson, 3 Linden

H2 (10): 1 Benson 2'09.86" (TR), 2 Holtkamp, 3 Reid

H3 (10): 1 Bud Kelleher 2'13.35", 2 Carroll, 3 Dickey

S1 (12): 1 Hanks 2'33.46" (TR), 2 Holtkamp, 3 Linden, 4 Freeland, 5 Carroll, 6 Jack Habermehl

S2 (12): 1 Benson 2'34.37", 2 Garson, 3 Reid, 4 Danny Harrison, 5 Jimmy Davies, 6 Bob Kelsey

C (15): 1 Fletcher Pierce 3'13.67", 2 Dickey, 3 Red Amick, 4 Dempsey Wilson

Aug 20 (Friday night), # 4 (sanction # 48-23M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 23

50 laps

1 (4) Sam Hanks (B. Murphy/Offenhauser #9?) 10'54.50" (TR)

2 (2) Andy Linden

3 (1) Norm Holtkamp

4 (3) Bob Carroll

5 (6) Joe Garson

Lap Leader: Linden (90 %)

Fast time: Linden

TD (5): 1 Linden 1'04.54", 2 Lyle Dickey, 3 Fletcher Pierce, 4 Garson

H1 (10): 1 Linden 2'12.98", 2 Pierce, 3 Red Amick

H2 (10): 1 Bud Kelleher 2'14.71", 2 Dickey, 3 Don Freeland

H3 (10): 1 Holtkamp 2'09.60", 2 Hanks, 3 Garson

S1 (12): 1 Linden 2'36.38", 2 Hanks, 3 Garson

S2 (12): 1 Holtkamp 2'36.65", 2 Carroll, 3 Corky Benson

C (15): 1 Gordon Reid 3'30.60", 2 Freeland, 3 Billy Richardson

Aug 25, # 5 (sanction # 48-25M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 25

50 laps

1 Joe Garson (Meyer/Offenhauser #24?) 11'01.60"

2 Norm Holtkamp

3 Corky Benson

Lap Leaders: Sam Hanks (?)

TD (5): 1 Hanks 1'04.22", 2 Garson, 3 Andy Linden, 4 Bob Carroll

H1 (10): 1 Billy Richardson, 2 Spec Frieden, 3 Benson

H2 (10): 1 Gordon Reid, 2 Ken Stansberry, 3 Jimmy Davies

H3 (10): 1 Marty Kline, 2 Holtkamp, 3 Red Amick

S1 (12): 1 Dempsey Wilson 2'49.22", 2 Garson, 3 Don Freeland

S2 (12): 1 Holtkamp 2'34.77", 2 Amick, 3 Kline

Sep 1, # 6 (sanction # 48-27M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 27

50 laps

1 Andy Linden (A. Krause/Offenhauser #27?) 10'53.20" (TR)

2 Joe Garson

3 Sam Hanks

4 Fletcher Pierce

5 Jack McGrath

6? Bob Kelsey

Lap Leader: Linden (100 %)

TD (5): 1 Linden 1'05.62", 2 Duke Nalon, 3 Hanks, 4 Garson

H1 (10): 1 Bob Carroll 2'08.76" (TR), 2 McGrath, 3 Don Freeland

H2 (10): 1 Jimmy Davies 2'11.06", 2 Lyle Dickey, 3 Corky Benson

H2 rerun (10): 1 Dickey 2'10.90", 2 Davies, 3 Benson

H3 (10): 1 Kelsey 2'11.54", 2 Garson, 3 Pierce

S1 (12): 1 Garson 2'35.20", 2 Pierce, 3 Kelsey

S2 (12): 1 Linden 2'32.95" (TR), 2 Hanks, 3 McGrath

Sep 8, # 7 (sanction # 48-28M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 28

50 laps

1 Joe Garson (Meyer/Offenhauser #24) 10'47.50" (TR)

2 Andy Linden

3 Sam Hanks

4 Don Freeland

5 Dempsey Wilson

6 Corky Benson

Lap Leader: Garson (100 %)

TD (5): 1 Jack McGrath 1'04.25", 2 Garson, 3 Fletcher Pierce, 4 Linden

H1 (10): 1 Benson (no time), 2 Wilson, 3 Freeland

H2 (10): 1 Hanks 2'09.31", 2 Duke Nalon, 3 Garson

H1 rerun (10): 1 Wilson 2'08.96", 2 Benson, 3 Linden

H3 (10): 1 Pierce 2'09.30", 2 Spec Frieden, 3 Danny Harrison

S1 (12): 1 Wilson 2'38.10", 2 Frieden, 3 Linden

S2 (12): 1 Garson 2'35.54", 2 Nalon, 3 Freeland

C (6): 1 Nalon (NT), 2 Hanks, 3 Linden

Sep 15, Final meet (sanction # 48-30M), promoters Lex Thompson & Bert Friedlob

Pacific Coast Championship round 30

150 laps

1 (4) Jack McGrath (Krech/Offenhauser #76) 34'00.40"

2 (13) Dempsey Wilson, 149 laps

3 (7) Lyle Dickey

4 (3) Fletcher Pierce

5 (8) Joe Garson

6 (10?) Sam Hanks

7 (9) Norm Holtkamp

8 (alternate?) Duke Nalon

9 (6?) Manuel Ayulo

10 (5?) Andy Linden

11 (14?) Johnny Smith

12 (12?) Danny Harrison

13 (2?) Jimmy Davies

14 (1?) Corky Benson

DNS (11?) Don Freeland

Lap Leader: McGrath (46 %)

Fast time: Freeland 12.50"/ 57.60 mph (TR)

TD (5): 1 Dickey 1'03.50" (TR), 2 McGrath, 3 Garson, 4 Freeland

H1 (10): 1 Benson 2'09.24", 2 Pierce, 3 Linden, 4 Dickey, 5 Holtkamp, 6 Freeland, 7 Wilson, 8 Bob Carroll

H2 (10): 1 Davies 2'10.21", 2 McGrath, 3 Ayulo, 4 Garson, 5 Hanks, 6 Harrison, 7 Smith, 8 Nalon

C (6): 1 Ayulo 1'16.90", 2 Linden, 3 Hanks, 4 Nalon

Notes:

1) unofficial results read 1 McGrath, 2 Dickey, 3 Wilson, 4 Garson, 5 Holtkamp, 6 Pierce, corrected next day

2) Car owner Arnold Krause (#27 Linden) physically attacked driver Manuel Ayulo after race for allegedly causing collision

Edited by Michael Ferner, 19 January 2024 - 15:48.

#46 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 18:35

(more from Willem)

Bill Krause in the D-type that lured him away from a career in midget racing: chassis XKD-519.

Krause3.jpg

#47 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 21:02

(Willem again)

After racing the D-type, multiple Maseratis, a Ferrari, a Lotus 19, an Elva Mk 6 and 7, Shelby Cobras, it was time for a Sting Ray. Here Bill is seen in one of Mickey Thompson's Sting Rays at Daytona, in February 1963, where he raced in the American Challenge Cup and the 3-hour Continental.

Krause.png

#48 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 22:07

(Willem again)

After racing the D-type, multiple Maseratis, a Ferrari, a Lotus 19, an Elva Mk 6 and 7, Shelby Cobras, it was time for a Sting Ray. Here Bill is seen in one of Mickey Thompson's Sting Rays at Daytona, in February 1963, where he raced in the American Challenge Cup and the 3-hour Continental.

Krause.png

That Corvette still exists, AFAIK still owned by vintage racer & collector Tom McIntyre. It was one of two entered at Daytona by Mickey Thompson, and those two were the first 427-powered Chevrolets to compete in a race.

tom-mcintyre-z06-corvette-singray-8.jpg?

2015 SEMA Show

4b-Tom-McIntyre-1963-Z06-085A4584-768x51

#49 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 22:29

You are right, but the Sting Ray in the picture with Krause at the wheel was the 327 ci GT car used in the Continental, not the 427 ci monster used in the Challenge Cup. Junior Johnson was scheduled to race the 427 version in the Challenge Cup, but he refused the ride, so Thompson commandeered Krause to drive it instead. No time left to change the Johnson name on top of the door. You will notice Krause's name on the GT version.

#50 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 22:57

How did Bill pronounce his name? Was it Krowss, Krowz, Krowzer (all rhyming with ‘crowd’) or something else?