Tracks in your area that don't exist any more

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 scott121476

scott121476

• 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 11:01

hey there guys

with so many tracks that fallen away side in the 10 years or so, i start this thread on asking you people about your local tracks that closed down please list the years of history behind the track and a brief history and the reason why it closed down......i will start it off

westboro speedwayhi banked 1/3 mile oval 1950S track closed in 1980 and it was torn down and a mall was put on the site...... it is now called SPEEDWAY MALL

danbury fairgrounds CT 1940s to 1981 = track was torn up to build yet another mall..... but it took years to get the mall filled up, i have heard that the estimate was 10 years

plainville statuim CT< paved 1/3 mile flat oval> = 1950s or 60s the track layed dormat for 15 years and in 1999 the track was developed a lowes or a home depot, funny history behind the track sitting there after the last races were held was that if you see the lines on TRACKS IN SPACE.... those lines on the track is not an illusion.... they had a problem with people taking hot laps so they dug trenches on the racing surface to prevent people from doing this

riverside park speedway = 1948 - 1999 = track closed because the owner sold the amsuement park to six flags..... just 3 weeks after the last race held there the track was torn up and 2 rides were put in its place.....i have not been to that park since the track closed

now its your guys turn

Advertisement

#2 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 12:36

In "Chicago" we have Meadowdale and Wilmont while near Milwaukee there was Lynndale Farms. Most of those closed in the 60s.
I'll dig out more info later.
Cheers,

Ron

#3 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 15:20

Originally posted by scott121476
hey there guys

with so many tracks that fallen away side in the 10 years or so, i start this thread on asking you people about your local tracks that closed down please list the years of history behind the track and a brief history and the reason why it closed down......i will start it off

In my area - blimey - loads of them. Rufforth, Full Sutton, Elvington, Linton-on-Ouse - all former airfields active for sporadic racing in the 50s/60s - Rufforth went on into the 70s.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 22:07

Birmingham Street Circuit. Closed down because that car hating hypocritical commie cow Clare Short filibustered Parliament when a bill was being considered to extend the time for the meeting to allow it to hold World Championship races. ****ing Labour. :( :cry:

#5 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 22:42

LOST RACE TRACKS
TREASURES OF AUTOMOBILE RACING

by Gordon Eliot White
ISBN 1-58388-084-4
Iconografix
P.O. Box 446
Hudson, Wisconsin 54016
USA
$32.95 plus shipping.

EPILOGUE

Of the more than 8,200 motor racing courses that have existed in the United States, 7,000 have disappeared entirely or have been turned to other uses . . .

A good sampling of some of them, with diagrams and photos, in this book.

Frank S

#6 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 22:59

Catamount Speedway. 1/3rd of a mile paved oval. Great track, now a half full industrial park. I saw a car fly 25 feet in the air and cars disappear over a bank and return to the track (Mucj worse for wear!)

#7 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 23:50

Preluk (Opatija)- racetrack on public roads (which still exist); closed in '78 because it was deemed too dangerous; hosted Adriatic GP, round of World Championship for motorcycles

Honourable mention goes to Grobnik (Rijeka) which was built to replace Preluk, and also hosted Adriatic GP until '90. Since the war ended, it seems the authorities seem hell bent on not allowing world class events to be staged there- talks with likes of FIM and Ecclestone (to host motorycle or F1 GP, latter being quite doubtful, but I guess Bernie wanted to humour missus, who is from Rijeka)... Basically, the track is still in 'artificially induced comma'. :

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 02:49

Ahh yes...Moreno Valley..as it is known now
Riverside International Raceway in Southern California...
They really should have saved that one...
Jp

#9 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 04:36

Ron Scoma beat me to Meadowdale International Raceway. It's a forest preserve now, and you can walk pretty much the entire track surface now, as it's open to the public. The only structures that remain are a silo (which is near the forest preserve parking lot, so it's the big landmark) and a pair of skeletal bridges going over the pavement. All other structures are gone. I only found out about the place a couple of months ago (and its half an hour from my house, at that!), and have walked the track, or as much of it as is left. It's very weird, to be wandering around on what clearly used to be something, not just a paved walking path, even if you know what it was and where you are going. Seems like it would have been a damn fun drive, too.
-William

#10 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 05:21

Meadowdale International Raceway Another on the burgeoning list of abandoned, destroyed, strayed, lost or stolen pioneering road race plants. Check out Ross Fosbender's sad but delightful tribute.

Frank S

#11 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 07:14

First and foremost, why is your thread title done with Caps lock, and not the rest of the post? :confused:

And to answer your question - Surfers Paradise Raceway

#12 Viss1

Viss1

• 9,414 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 17:19

Bridgehampton

#13 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 19:32

Well, my local deceased circuit is Brooklands - but it might not be........

http://www.angelfire...ands/index.html

Sigh..... We can always dream

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 20:58

Upper Marlboro outside of Washington, D.C., they use to have a big race
there called the President's Cup. I vividly remember my first race there
as Roger Penske won the Cup in a his Porsche RS-60. I approached him on Carb Day last Thursday and reminded him of that victory, his rely, "that
was a long time ago."

He's pretty happy today as he has now won Indy 13 times.

#15 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 21:37

Here's what Bridgehampton looks like today.....
http://www.porschenet.com/bhgolf.jpg

Here's the Bridge as seen from the air in '98.....
http://www.porschene...m/aerialbr.html

#16 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 00:39

Westwood racing circuit.
Twenty odd miles east of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The first purpose built race track in Canada, opened in 1959, closed in 1990 when the f...ing real estate people realised there was a great view from the Westwood plateau. Hosted many big names over the years and was a regular spot for Trans Am and Pro Formula Atlantic. Also SCCA and Conference events, Motorcylcles and Karts. From 1981 to 1991 was site of the Historic Racing Weekend organized by the Vintage Racing Club of BC. This was a dual cars and bikes event that would have over 200 entries by the end of the eighties.
Probably the reason we lost it was the same reason that we got it in the first place: The lease was owned by a club (The Sports Car Club of BC) and at the final crunch they didn't have enough political clout to keep the greedy bloody real estate people away. A Great Loss. Legend has it that Stirling Moss described it as one of the three best tracks in the world.
Circuit length 1.8 miles. Lap record held by Michael Andretti at about 58 seconds( I don't have the official number handy) Great changes in elevation and corner type.

#17 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 01:08

Whitchurch Airport

and

Lulsgate

#18 Gamache

Gamache

• 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 01:25

Edmonton, AB, Canada had a track on the northwest side of the city. I'm not sure what the name of the track was, but it hosted Formula Atlantic races during the 1970s.

Gilles Villeneuve's biography by Allan de la Plante list Gilles' results at the track.

Gilles Villeneuve -Formula Atlantic- Edmonton

Start--------------------Finish
1974 6-------------------------22
1975 - ----------------------- 15
1976 1st ----------------------1st, fastest lap Villeneuve wins Atlantic and IMSA Championships
1977 1st ----------------------1st, Wins Atlantic Championship, competes in four Formula Atlantic races in South Africa, four Can-Am races, one Endurance race with Eddie Cheever at Mosport, and three F1 races with McLaren and Ferrari.

#19 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 01:27

Anyone interested in circuits in the U.S. and Canada should pick up "The History of America's Speedways - Past & Present" by Allan E. Brown. Brown attempts to list every oval, drag strip, road course and temporary circuit that has been used for racing. Operating dates, length and surface, track name(s) and what became of them are included.

In addition to his own research, Allan has had many contributors (myself included) add to and define listings.

There are many, many more listings to be added to, but it was a massive undertaking and he's to be commended for even attempting it. He's compiling info for what he plans on being his final edition, to be out in early 2004.

Jim Thurman

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:21

In the same vein, it's not inappropriate to mention this book...

Posted Image

...this lists about 110 road racing circuits in Australia, of which about 16 or so are still operating. It does include a couple of 'speedways' but only in the context that they were places where the road racers raced because there were no road racing circuits or similar...

It also has a serious error in the Woody Point circuit, so anyone who wants this clarified should see my article about that 'circuit' in Motor Racing Australia... 'circuit' here is again used loosely, as the event was a 'high speed reliability trial' run in an effort to convince the authorities that racing on public roads was actually safe. It failed...

From a radius of about 25 miles around my old haunting grounds... no longer with us are:

Westmead Speedway, about a third of a mile as I recall, ran through the fifties and into the sixties, maybe even to the early seventies. Was compulsorily acquired as part of the site of the huge Westmead Hospital which now saves many lives on the site.

Warwick Farm... 2.25 miles of fabulously interesting and tricky road race circuit in and around the horse race track/s and in use from late 1960 to late 1973. Scene of many a great race, many a great drive, was responsible for the upscaling of all things in racing in Australia during the early sixties, had a 0.9 mile (I think) Club circuit entirely within the horse tracks which was frequently used for testing by top drivers of the era.

Amaroo Park... conceived originally as a motor sport park of immense dimension by Oscar Glaser, carved out of the sandstone country by his earthmoving gear, included a dirt short circuit, bitumen hillclimb, motocross area and finally (but never completed... sadly) a great 2.5 mile GP circuit. This also had a provision for extension to 3.0 miles, and this latter part, with a small section of the major circuit, was ultimately completed and hosted racing on its 1.3something miles of walled death from 1967 to 1998 or 1999. The property was leased to the Australian Racing Drivers Club after the first few meetings were conducted by the Amaroo Sporting Country Club and there was a provision that enabled the ARDC to purchase the property at 1967 price (and a mighty agreeable 1967 price too, methinks) if they chose within three years.

Unfortunately the ARDC did this, thus ensuring that all that would ever happen there would be in keeping with maintaining what existed rather than completing Oscar's grand plan. It is now acreage housing and even the road that could used the main straight in the subdivision has been very expensively carved further up the hill and fill used to obliterate most of what could be seen as the original form of the circuit. It appears that the developers didn't want any ghosts of the place to remain attractive to race enthusiasts, but they did retain the lake that adorned the infield of the lower end of the circuit, as that was where some club members had their ashes scattered.

Parramatta Park... road racing course, using park roads, originally used 1938 but the meeting was canned after practice by the police. Later it saw racing on two different layouts between 1952 and 1955. This is literally only a few hundred yards from Westmead Speedway, and between it and...

Parramatta Speedway... using an oval within Parramatta Park or the sporting grounds that are either part of it or adjoin it. Parramatta Park is of some national significance, by the way, as it was originally the grounds of the first permanent residence of the Governor of the colony of New South Wales. This speedway probably ran from the late forties but was gone by the sixties... I think... others might know better.

Mount Druitt... a wartime airstrip alongside the railway line between Mount Druitt and St Marys, this was used early in the post-WW2 period for sprints and races on the airstrip. I'm unclear as to how the section that took the circuit up onto the hill where the Whalan High School now stands came into being, but this road meandered up there and back and extended the circuit length from 1.5 miles to 2.4 miles. This form saw racing from 1952 to 1958, finally being severely compromised by the lessee of the property, Belf Jones, running a plough in a zig-zagging line around the entire circuit to prevent further use. The circuit was essentially doomed by the introduction of the 1957 Speedways Act, which would require enormous amounts of fencing to be erected, and though nobody wanted to weigh in and do this work, I gather that they expected Jones to do it for them. He was finally acquitted of the malicious damage charge that had been laid against him for the plowing job a couple of years later. By 1970 the encroachment of public housing onto the site was beginning to make it impossible to track its course in the upper reaches of the extension. Today netball and soccer fields adorn much of the airstrip section and much of the area is public park, with occasional showings of bitumen to inspire the hearts of those who go in search of times long gone.

Penrith Speedway... a cricket ground in the late 1800s, an airfield in the early 1900s, a golf course, a multi-use patch of ground right alongside Penrith railway station in the extreme west of Sydney's modern day sprawl. In the 1920s Penrith was a smallish town with a river that attracted many weekend picnickers, and in 1924 a one mile dirt speedway was completed and went into action. It had a number of entrepreneurs using it over the following 17 years and saw some great action. The final meeting in April 1941 was followed by complete takeover by the Defence Department and it remained in their possession until very recently. All the while, however, a part of the speedway alignment was used as a road between buildings that were constructed, and this is preserved today as a memorial to the racing that took place on the site.

Windsor Speedway... frankly, I know little about it. It was right near Windsor station (as Westmead was a short walk from Westmead station and Penrith ditto), about half a mile, I think, saw racing from the fifties to the seventies IIRC.

Brooklands... a famous name for an infamous attempt. A one mile high banked oval which was formed up alongside Werrington railway station (between St Marys and Penrith) was never used. It was built in the mid twenties and remnants of the embankment were still there in the sixties, possibly even today, but I've not yet been able to find a way to find them. It's an area now devoted to either higher education or housing for disadvantaged kids or something.

Maroubra Speedway... This one was finished, saw the usual string of entrepreneurs trying to make a go of it... built 1925, using lots of concrete to form its high banking, it was 'five sixths of a mile around the inside of the saucer' and saw racing on and off from 1925 to the mid thirties, maybe 1937. Bugattis, Sunbeams and Ballots were among the cars imported especially to race there.

Schofields... used one runway and a simple string of taxiways at the HMAS Nirimba Fleet Air Arm base near Quakers Hill in the west of Sydney. Actually, it was an air force base first of all, racing was first held there in July 1958 and it was only a little more than a year till racing ended. Although I'm not sure of that... I thought Frank Matich ran the Lotus 15 there, and I don't think that was here in 1959... Terry might have got his dates wrong here. 2.3 miles to the lap, the place was only ever available for one day meetings and everything from implantation of facilities to total cleanup had to be completed in that day.

Marsden Park... another airstrip circuit, just up and down the strip, first used June 1946 (one of the very first race meetings after WW2) it was used periodically by different clubs into the late fifties, probably succumbed to the Speedways Act.

#21 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:48

Kansas City Speedway (aka "Million Dollar Speedway"), a 1.25-mile oval board track used in the mid-1920's. Jimmy Murphy won an event there and Harlan Fengler (who headed the Indy 500 driver meetings for many years) won his first Indy Car race at this track. There is a story that when the track started detoriating, some boards were missing and a young kid used to pop his head up through a hole in the track during races. For more info about the track: http://www.silhouet....s/kansasci.html

Olympic Stadium in Kansas City - a dirt oval and site of A.J. Foyt's first USAC sprint car win. The track was a 3/8-mile or 1/4-mile track. This opened sometime in the 50's and was closed in the late 60's, early 70's. A junkyard sits there today.

Riverside Speedway in Riverside, Missouri (a small suburb of Kansas City). This was a dirt oval used in the 50's through the early 70's. I believe this was a 1/2-mile track. I have misplaced my info on this.

#22 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:57

Originally posted by ensign14
Birmingham Street Circuit. Closed down because that car hating hypocritical commie cow Clare Short filibustered Parliament when a bill was being considered to extend the time for the meeting to allow it to hold World Championship races. ****ing Labour. :( :cry:

Thanks Ensign,another reason to hate that woman.
Sad that the 3 best spectator circuits in the UK are all closed. Birmingham,Crystal Palace & Ingliston.

#23 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 23:50

Tom Johnston, a member of this forum, is publishing a book on sports car racing in Western Canada this coming fall. In it he has many references to Commonwealth training airfields (WW II bases) used as racing tracks after the war. Most of those are gone now.

#24 ebin

ebin

• 262 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:19

Wow, that's the first time I've seen pics of Bridgehampton and it looks like it was one hell of a track. What a damn shame it's gone.

#25 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:33

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Windsor Speedway... frankly, I know little about it. It was right near Windsor station (as Westmead was a short walk from Westmead station and Penrith ditto), about half a mile, I think, saw racing from the fifties to the seventies IIRC. [/B]

Barry,
Windsor Speedway ran in 1949/50 (summer), 1955-67 (winter months) and one final summer
meeting in November 1968. Circuit sat unused and decaying up to the late 1990's, when
the site was cleared for an industrial estate. Most unusual feature was the "twin track"
layout - 1/2 mile "long" track and "short" track inside the long track.

#26 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 18:50

Among the missing in Florida are Pensacola (extreme west Florida), Fernandina (near Jacksonville on the northern east coast) and Sebastian (central Atlantic coast). I believe all of these were airport circuits, although I believe Fernandina may have started out on a true road course a-la Watkins Glen. Also, the original Homestead Raceway is gone. It was a half mile or quarter mile paved oval south of Miami, just above the Florida Keys.

Graham, I agree with your Zolder comment. What a crushingly dreary place it is. I was there for Mario's win in 1978 in the Lotus 79, and Ronnie in the 78, doing everything he could to keep up. Now, had the race been at Spa that year....THAT would have been something!

Jack

#27 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 20:50

Turn one at Bridgehampton was one of the most daunting ever. You really had to suck it up to get through there and when you did it right, you felt great! The first big race I went to was a Can-Am there and to see Swede
Savage, George Eaton, Mark Donahue, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, Pedro
Rodriequez (spelling?)and John Surtees on the same track at the same time...what can I say? Magic, simple magic.

#28 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 22:21

Lakewood Speedway at the Lakewood Fairgrounds just southwest of downtown Atlanta, a one mile dirt oval. it's the track they're racing on at the end of "Smokey and the Bandit". Horrible dust problem at that track, the last race i went to there was an AMA mile event which was cancelled because of dust and a riot broke out. love those 70's bikers. All that remains are the grandstands, and turns 1 & 2. the lake has mostly been filled in and the rest is now a parking lot for the amphitheatre located just west of the old turns 3 & 4.

The Peach Bowl in northwest Atlanta, a paved oval. It's now the location of a bus facility for the Metro atlanta Rapid Transit Authority.

The Atlanta Motordrome which ran races in 1909 and 1910. 2 mile crushed gravel oval on the site of Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport. Part of the track was still visible before runway construction obliterated it in the late 70's.

Midget racetrack on Fair Street in Atlanta in the late 40's. Old maps show 2 fair streets in atlanta, one just west of Lakewood (it now runs from the fairgrounds across I-75/85 to Metropolitan Blvd. Also at this location was "FunTown", a small amusement park which supposedly was partly Dr. Martin Luther King's inspiration for civil rights, as he wasn't allowed to take his kids there.) The other Fair Street was in West End, now a part of Atlanta but back then a suburb and the home of Joel Chandler Harris, author of Brer Rabbit. That Fair Street was a short 2 block long street which bordered a school.

Old maps from the 30's show the symbol of a racetrack on Clairemont Road in northeast Atlanta, on the site now occupied by the Veterans Hospital.

Metro Atlanta Qarter Midget track, Powder Springs, GA, a 1/12 mile asphalt oval that saw quarter midgets and the oocasional go-karts race from 1974 until 1989. It visible from the USGS map which can be seen at http://www.terraserv...5745&initRes=13

It's the small incomplete oval almost in the dead middle of the picture, just southeast of the main tersection of the 2 highways, also in the middle of the picture. It was here by the way that I first saw Jimmy Kite race (IRL driver) , as a 13 year old.

#29 baggish

baggish

• 120 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 23:35

Originally posted by petefenelon

In my area - blimey - loads of them. Rufforth, Full Sutton, Elvington, Linton-on-Ouse - all former airfields active for sporadic racing in the 50s/60s - Rufforth went on into the 70s.

I believe Elvington is still used for sprints: an event will be held there on August 16th.

Jon

#30 jrosenzweig

jrosenzweig

• 132 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:55

When you mean local i guess you mean your 'nearest' circuit? Mine would be Lobethal, raced 1938-1948 iirc, about 2 hrs driving to the west. Road circuit still exists in public roads, luckily not much has changed except the private houses in paddocks etc that you'd expect from development.

#31 AlesiUK

AlesiUK

• 2,852 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 18:55

Ingilston was only about 5 miles from me,and as mentioned somewhere above,it is now closed,i dont actually know the reasons behind the closure tho im afraid.

#32 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:01

I have just "discovered" Brescia circuit (Circuito della Fascia d'Oro, Montichiari ) used in 1921 for the first Italian Gran Prix.
It should have been the first permanent Italian autodrome, but few months later Autodromo di Monza was built and Brescia was forgotten.
Local car racing fans were quite angry for having lost Italian Grand Prix, so after some years they decides to organize another race, from Brescia to Rome and back to Brescia. Mille Miglia was born!

Track map and some info are on my website www.gdecarli.tk.

In Lombardia (between Milano and Garda's Lake, Italy) there were road many circuits, nearly all used before or just after World War II. Circuito del Garda, near Salò, should be the last circuit to be abandoned, it was used until 196x (I think, but I'm not sure about it and I have no time check now).

Ciao,
Guido

#33 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 15:13

Crystal Palace is my nearest defunct venue, at 670m (ATCF). I walked across Maxim Rise only this afternoon.

I'm sure there are plenty of folk here who know far more about Crystal Palace that me though...

#34 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 15:42

Originally posted by 2F-001
I'm sure there are plenty of folk here who know far more about Crystal Palace that me though...

I don't know that I know much more than you about the Palace, but I was at the very last race meeting (for karts) held there and later did a rally that started there.

The first stage ran was from the old start line up the terraces. We got a "flyer" - a time one minute wrong in our favour, so completed stage 1 well in the lead of the event, having cleaned the stage, I argued with the marshal :rolleyes: trying to tell him his time was wrong, but he wouldn't have it - he just couldn't believe anyone would try to get a slower time! What could I do? I had to accept it. On stage two, on an old sewage farm site, we slid wide and knocked a wheel off. Game over, but at least we were leading at the time!!

#35 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 17:24

San Diego has a rich road racing heritage.

The Torrey Pines course was on a redundant Army base, part of which overlooked the Pacific ocean. Run from '51 to '56, the area where the course was is primarily covered by a world class golf course where the U.S. Open was played.

Hour Glass Field was also run in the '50s. It is now a public park although a snippet of one runway still exists where law enforcement people are taught high speed driving.

Montgomery Field still exists as a General Aviation airport and the city has grown around it. No racing since the '60s.

The parking lot at the Del Mar fairgrounds and horse racing track has been the scene of several iterations of a road race course. I believe it was used as recently as the 90s. The horse race track itself has been used for Indy car racing in the past.

There was also a one-time Trans Am event at the Naval Training Center near the main airport a few years back. That property is now being redeveloped, so it won't be used again.

#36 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 21:26

I forgot about the Elgin Road Races, which were held on public roads in Elgin, Illinois, most of which are still there (although I do not know how much they have changed).
-Wm.

#37 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 21:47

Originally posted by baggish

I believe Elvington is still used for sprints: an event will be held there on August 16th.

Jon

Sprints and I believe motorbike races. The circuit they use looks to be a derivative of the one that used to be used for car racing.

It's also used for straight-line aero testing by F1 teams, but getting "gen" on when it's being used is near-impossible.

The histories of the RAF and USAF in the North East are very much entangled with the history of motor racing.

Elvington was a base for RAF and later Free French bomber squadrons in WW2; its long runway (longest in Europe) is largely there because of Strategic Air Command post war - though they didn't use it in the end; it was also allegedly a designated emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle!. HQ 4 Group, of which Elvington was a part, was a few miles away at Heslington Hall, which became the focal point of the University of York (where I studied and later worked) when that was established.

A young Adrian Reynard did some motorbike record breaking at Elvington in the late 60s/early 70s too...

(As an aside, I've often wondered if the disused Reynard garage on Piccadilly in York was anything to do with AR's family - I'm pretty sure it is... his grandad had a bike shop in Easingwold about 20 miles away and later ran a bus company in North Yorkshire (the Reynard Buses name carried on in the area long after any Reynard family involvement, into the early 90s. There's still a lot of Reynards in the North Yorks area too...)

Best thing I've ever seen at Elvington is a Jaguar (the kind with jet engines and wings) doing a pretend low-level bombing run along the runway... most impressive ;)

#38 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 23:55

Cabianca

San Diego has a rich road racing heritage.

Cabianca named Torrey Pines, Del Mar, Hourglass, the Naval Training Center, and Montgomery Field.

The Where They Raced book, principally a survey of Lost Tracks in the Los Angeles area (scores!), mentions at least two others in San Diego: Lakeside, which may have been on a road-like oval or an oval-like road course north of El Cajon, and another that I remember as seeming to occupy some of the same ground as the Naval Training Center in the Loma Portal area. (I can't find the book. Karma.)

I know for sure there were a driver school, regional race, and a National points SCCA race on the San Diego Stadium west parking lot. I could tell you the name of the person who won the first race (driver school training), but none of the others. Unless one was Jerry Grant.

The National was notorious for the only known "Mayday and Continued" call over the communications system. Ed Halsey (?) leaned his Fiat Abarth D-Sedan over a little too far in the <30MPH off-camber northeast hairpin, and it fell on its side.
Observer: "Turn Six MAYDAY! We have a small sedan rollover."
Marshals arrived at the car and followed the driver's instructions to push the car upright. That demonstrated this vehicle was at the peak of technical (acid-dipped) progress of the moment: the top wrinkled like foil when workers tried to use it in muscling the car. Ed restarted the engine and motored off past the scorer's stand.
Observer: "Make that a Mayday and continued on car 9."

In this southwesternmost portion of the USA, and a hundred and twenty or so miles inland, is-was Holtville Aerodrome International Raceway. After many years of symbiosis the Imperial County Fathers and the San Diego Region SCCA split the blanket. County wanted much and offered little, and the pavement was deteriorated beyond what racing cars' suspension could tolerate. I haven't seen it, but I understand some high-performance passenger cars have "track days" there during useful weather. Holtville's earliest possible dates were October, latest through late April, otherwise limited by ambient temperatures 105 degrees Farenheit and above. BMW's ad agency painted an acre or so of the concrete runways, nice royal blue, I hear, for an advertisement to be shown in Germany.

Not to forget the Tijuana Beach races, near the Bullring-By-The-Sea, nor the Old Tijuana Airport races, just across the border from another defunct (clay oval) track in the USA, South Bay Park Speedway, also known as Speedway 117.

A couple years back, travelling in company with two others who had been involved with Southern California road racing since the 50s, we counted 18 or 19 defunct parrots—I mean race tracks—between the Mexican border and Sylmar, north of Los Angeles. And that doesn't count the ones we hadn't seen or had learned about without being there, nor the ones that were more than a mile or so from the highway we were on.

Frank S

#39 PRD

PRD

• 507 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 00:18

Davidstow, near Camelford in Cornwall. Used for a couple of years in the 1950's for racing. Ken Tyrell is supposed to have made an appearance racing there in a Formula 3 car.
It was a WW2 airfield built on the foggiest part of Bodmin moor against local advice. The weather and it's remote location did for it in the 1950's . It's where we all started learning to drive at the age of about 12 by indulgent Dads letting us loose in the family saloon....

Paul

Advertisement

#40 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 00:37

Now that I'm in my Brisbane 'home'... some more for you...

Strathpine... a wartime airstrip that was pressed into service more or less immediately after the war.

Here's a picture of Hope Bartlett posing in the Dixon Riley prior to one of those early meetings...

Posted Image

Racing was up and down the stony strip, with a dash off into the trees at one end to make for some variety. Now to be found under the houses in Spitfire Street in Lawnton... closed c.1959 when Lakeside was in the making just up the road...

Lakeside... closed at the moment, possibly to reopen one day. Glorious place, swooping down the hillsides on the edge of the sometimes-full Lake Kurwongbah. The realisation of the dream of Sid Sakzewski, it was the mecca of the true drivers in Australian racing for forty years. Opened 1960, closed 2001 I think, maybe 2002, when Sid's son Geoff sent the joint broke. Property was bought by the local council, who said they wanted to reopen it, but really their agenda is yet to be proved. It was the setting for some of the great Tasman races and saw Australian Grand Prix wins for Graham Hill and Chris Amon, not to mention a great dice between Frank Matich and Jim Clark. And Ken Miles raced there in the 427 Cobra...

Lowood... three miles around and including a 2000 yard bomber strip, which dips downhill at the end prior to the tight left hander that leads to the sweeps and curves of the service roads that made up the rest of the circuit. Scene of that fantastic 1960 Australian Grand Prix between Alec Mildren and Lex Davison, it had been first used in about 1947 and slated for Grand Prix usage in 1949, but local churchgoers objected to racing on Sundays and as many people worked Saturdays that meant it would have been a financial failure. I think it was the QRDC who finally secured the property long term and conducted racing there until the opening of Surfers Paradise International Motor Circuit in 1966 showed the people it wasn't necessary to stand in howling westery winds to enjoy a day's racing.

#41 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 08:52

Cabianca

If I remember correctly, didn't you attended the Fairfax SCCA races in Kansas City during the 50's? Do you any info on the circuit's length and what streets were used? I attended the 50th anniversary party of the Kansas City chapter of SCCA last year but I forgot to ask someone this information. However, in a scrap book at the party, I did see a poster for one of the events which was sponsored by a funeral parlor.

#42 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:20

I posted a pic to show the relatively smooth, sealed, expanse of the runway at Strathpine, and I mentioned the loop off one end...

Here's that loop in action... a stark contrast with the runway...

Posted Image

Anyone game to have a go at identifying the cars?

#43 mdecarle

mdecarle

• 109 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 13:28

Nivelles (Complexe Européen de Nivelles-Baulers).

Hosted Belgian F1 Grand Prix in 1972 and 1974. The site is turned into a industrial/commercial zone now.

The circuit was used after the old Spa-Francorchamps (14100 m) wasn't used anymore, and before Zolder became the circuit for The Belgian GP.

See also: http://www.forix.com...&l=0&r=7205&c=0

#44 Jon Petersen

Jon Petersen

• 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 22:38

My first posting on this fantastic forum !

With the third Dane ever to run in F1 now seemingly ready to race for Minardi, I would like to draw your attention to

ROSKILDE RING,

the first Danish racetrack. In the seventies, it was still visible from the trains between Copenhagen, where I grew up, and Koege, where my family had a summerhouse, and played a big part in my childhood fascination of motorsport. I was told by my father, that my uncle, Johannes Foersom, occasionally raced a Mini Cooper there.

Try this link for more info and pictures :

http://www.racingcir...ilde/index.html

many greetings

Jon Petersen

#45 Lagonda

Lagonda

• 253 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 19:39

Crystal Palace is only up the road from me, I've been meaning to go and have a look round since I moved south of the water but i've never quite got round to it. I don't actually know much about the race track like when it closed or why? (I know it was some time in the 70's but other than that I'm not sure.) if someone could fill me in or point me in the right direction of a link i'd appreciate it.

Brooklands is also not very far away from me, I was there a couple of years ago and had a look round the museum which was really interesting, especially if you've an interest in aviation as well! There is limited access to the track as I remember and it was in an awful condition, there were weeds growing through the tarmac and huge cracks in it. I did see some lovely old cars going up the test hill, can't for the life of me remember what they were though !!:blush:

I for one would be in favour of some lottery funding or something to put these tracks back to somewhere near their former glory and preserve a great old heritage.

#46 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 10:58

Originally posted by Lagonda
Crystal Palace is only up the road from me, I've been meaning to go and have a look round since I moved south of the water but i've never quite got round to it. I don't actually know much about the race track like when it closed or why? (I know it was some time in the 70's but other than that I'm not sure.) if someone could fill me in or point me in the right direction of a link i'd appreciate it.

I for one would be in favour of some lottery funding or something to put these tracks back to somewhere near their former glory and preserve a great old heritage.

The 'Palace closed at the end of 1972. The Greater London Council which owned it was not much interested in motorsport and not prepared to spend any money on safety improvements. The current local authority are worse and have succeded in destroying the part that was left and used a few years ago for an annual sprint.
Just enter 'Crystal Palace' on the search BB page.177 threads mention it!

#47 Jon Petersen

Jon Petersen

• 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 17:33

My father just corrected me - I mentioned the wrong uncle in my post on Roskilde Ring. :blush:

The Mini Cooper-racing uncle of mine was Peter Mortensen.....

Also check this link - OK, it is in danish, but it has a nice video (77 mB !) with - among others - Jack Brabham in action there :

http://www.perbeer.ninja.dk/

Greetings Jon

#48 Aanderson

Aanderson

• 126 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 22:33

Originally posted by scott121476
hey there guys

westboro speedwayhi banked 1/3 mile oval 1950S track closed in 1980 and it was torn down and a mall was put on the site...... it is now called SPEEDWAY MALL

danbury fairgrounds CT 1940s to 1981 = track was torn up to build yet another mall..... but it took years to get the mall filled up, i have heard that the estimate was 10 years

plainville statuim CT< paved 1/3 mile flat oval> = 1950s or 60s the track layed dormat for 15 years and in 1999 the track was developed a lowes or a home depot, funny history behind the track sitting there after the last races were held was that if you see the lines on TRACKS IN SPACE.... those lines on the track is not an illusion.... they had a problem with people taking hot laps so they dug trenches on the racing surface to prevent people from doing this

riverside park speedway = 1948 - 1999 = track closed because the owner sold the amsuement park to six flags..... just 3 weeks after the last race held there the track was torn up and 2 rides were put in its place.....i have not been to that park since the track closed

For me, the closed, disappeared race tracks would be the old Lafayette Speedway in Lafayette IN, which was for years covered up with junked cars as the property became a huge auto salvage business, only to be closed about 7-8 years ago, and made into a shopping mall. A few remnants of the Fairgrounds track in Lafayette (Tippecanoe County Fairgrounds 1/2 mile dirt track, built for harness racing) can still be seen today. This is the track mentioned by the late Wilbur Shaw in his autobiography "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" as the place where he first drove a race car in competition, and where he also crashed his first race car that day, in the early 1920's.

Another track in western Indiana that closed decades ago, but can still be seen (!) is the old Jungle Park Speedway, which was on US-41, about 10 miles north of Rockville Indiana, where this highway crosses Sugar Creek, just downstream from Turkey Run State Park. The last time I saw Jungle Park, the paved surface was still visible, with tall weeds and a few young trees growing from the cracks, and the remains of the grandstand on the south side of the track (set into the hillside) were crumbling away, but still visible.

Art Anderson
now its your guys turn

#49 wildman

wildman

• 294 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 23:52

Here in Colorado we have the original Denver Grand Prix street course that CART used in '90-'91. They ran it right in the heart of downtown, adjacent to the state capitol - thereby sealing its doom. So many local shopkeepers and businesses insisted on compensation for their presumed losses during the race weekend, that the promoters went belly-up after just two attempts.

The new track is more logically located on the grounds of the Pepsi Center arena, close enough to downtown but not too close for its own good. Of course, in light of CART's latest financial "guidance," we might have another dead track before long.

Farther to the south was Continental Divide Raceways, site of a few USAC Champ Car road races in the late '60s-early '70s. It was a combination drag strip and road course located near Castle Rock. Not sure what became of the track, but since it was located close to I-25, I'm sure it's long gone.

Closer to home, there's an abandoned dragstrip in Erie. It had a big hump in the shutdown area that, I'm told, caused cars to get airborne, especially as speeds rose in the '60s. The guy who owns the land now uses the tarmac as a landing strip.

#50 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 11:01

Originally posted by PRD
Davidstow, near Camelford in Cornwall. Used for a couple of years in the 1950's for racing. Ken Tyrell is supposed to have made an appearance racing there in a Formula 3 car.
It was a WW2 airfield built on the foggiest part of Bodmin moor against local advice. The weather and it's remote location did for it in the 1950's . It's where we all started learning to drive at the age of about 12 by indulgent Dads letting us loose in the family saloon....

Paul

Its also where the milk from my dads farm used to go to make the famous cheese....