• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:57

This picture appeared in the German magazine "Oldtimer-Markt":

Posted Image

According to the text it shows a BMW-powered 750 cc race car (supercharged) of the "Kleinstrennwagen"-Klasse (predecessor of Formula 3 in Germany in the early post-war years). The text states, that the car was built in East Germany around 1948.

The car is reported to be part of a collection in Seattle / USA today and it is not certain, whether this is the original bodywork.

Interesting also the logo on the car and also on the floor of the showroom.

Sounds strange to me and it does not look like one of the German cars I know from that era. DelfosseĀ“s DVD comes close but is not quite the same in detail and was ZĆ¼ndapp-powered.

Some guy told me, that the car on the photo has Czechoslovakian origin. So my question goes East: sat, anjakub, are you able to help?

Advertisement

#2 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:14

Uechtel

The car is Czech.

It is the 1956 Avia Mk3 750cc car.

John

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:08

*click* 2 hours, 17 minutes. Not bad. :p

#4 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:29

thatĀ“s really quick indeed!

Any more details available?

#5 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:53

John :up:

uechtel,
please see: www.eccehomo.cz/me.php
click historie , next 20 rocnik v roce 1957 and click zobraz
later fotografie -> Jurca - Avia 750

#6 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 13:44

Thanks guys!

These eastern Europen "oddball" racing cars are fascinating to me....now when is one of you going to do a book??

#7 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 14:06

Thanks a lot, anjakub, really nice picture! :wave:

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 14:23

Dretceterini et al

The book has already been done!!

It was published in 1989 by NADAS. Written by Karel Repa, who is to Czech racing what Bill Boddy is to Brooklands. It has a photo of every post-war Czech racing and sports car, with specs and brief summary but not in English, of course. I saw it at the National Science Museum in Prague in 1994 and managed to contact the author who supplied me with a copy. It was out of print then!

It is called "Premiery Nadseni" , ISBN 80-7030-031-0

In 1994 when I managed to track down where all the old motor magazines were housed in Prague I photocopied everything I could get my hands on. Unfortunately I didn't have much time and unlike the Biscaretti or Mercedes-Benz museums the staff insisted they had to do the copying. Also their paper was damp but luckily I had some reams of my own in my car.

Last year I visited Prague again and was intent on photocopying what I had missed back in '94. Much to my horror I was informed that the library section had been moved down into the city and, yes you've guessed, it was completely destroyed in the great floods! As compensation I was forced to concentrate solely on the pub crawl with my mates.

All is not lost, however, as Karel has an impressive library of books and magazines collected over a lifetime from all over Eastern Europe. I have tried to persuade him to do a book of the history of Czech racing but it is the economics that is, as always, the problem. I've done a bit of research for Karel for a book on Skoda so perhaps when that is completed he may do the definitve history of Czech racing; I hope so. He produces a low volume magazine on historic motor cycles and cars.

John

#9 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 14:33

Great! Where do I find a copy? I have never seen that book in the US, even at the Society of Automotive Historians Literature Fair (which, by the way, is on the 29th of this month, in Irwindale, California)..

#10 David Jurca

David Jurca

• 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:03

WOW!!!!! I am so excited as I have just found my grandfather's racecar.

Brief history: Grandfather, Miroslav Jurca, built this BMW racecar and raced it all over Czechoslavakia. Communism came in, and the car was seized from my grandfather. My dad has fond memories of my grandfather racing. My dad always wanted to race but did not have an opportunity to race due to the political state. 1984 parents escaped Czech, I was born one year later in Austria, and then came to Seattle. At 8 years old I started racing. I am almost 21 now, and have been racing for 13 years now. I am working on becoming a professional racecar driver and have been ranked number one in North American shifter kart racing, been one of six finalists in the Red Bull Driver search (along with current F1 driver Scott Speed), raced open wheel junior formulas with succes etc etc. In 2006 I am competing in the European Championships in karting, the World Cup in karting, and the North American Championships.

Reason why I am so excited: My father always assumed that the car was destroyed, I have tried to search for it in the past, but with no success. Today I have come upon this forum. Here is a link to my site with pictures of the car: http://www.davidjurc...grandfather.htm

I don't expect to be able to purchase the car, as it is probably beyond my price range, but it would be a dream come true just to sit in it. I have never met my grandfather, as he died just before I was born, but I have heard many stories. If anyone can give me more information on the car, location, owner etc I would REALLY appreciate it. You can post on here or privately email me at david@davidjurca.com Thanks in advance.

David Jurca

#11 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:11

A great story, David! I've changed the thread name accordingly.

#12 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 22:39

Hello David,

congratulations for your discovery and also for those beautiful pictures on your website! On the original photographs the car looks so much better than in that exhibition!

And nice to see how threads like this can revive after years.

Regarding the carĀ“s whereabout, as I wrote it was part of an exhibition at Seattle. Unfortunately did not have the original article, but received the picture from somebody, so I am not able to give more information at the moment.

But for sure we have some Seattle-based members here, who can perhaps tell us more about that, do we?

#13 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 22:56

@David - I looked through my mail archive. You should try to contact our TNF member "IMV". However his last post was in October 2005, so perhaps you have to wake him up by a private message.

#14 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:50

What an interesting thread...
Was this the car that Barry Leitch rebuilt 2000/01 - I have seen photos of the restoration and it looks identical.
Raceannouncer is down in southern NZ he may be able to confirm

#15 David Jurca

David Jurca

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:41

Thank you for your interest. It would truly be amazing if I could find this car as it has been unseen by my family for 50 years. Seeing as I live in Seattle, finding the car here would be pretty ironic. I have some vintage racing contacts that I am going to try and I will try contacting IMV thanks uechtel

Patrick, how do I get a hold of raceannouncer? I looked up that name and got raceannouncer2003 out of Victoria, B.C. Canada. Is that who you are talking about?

Also, check this out: http://www.autohisto...m/pebble-beach/ Scroll to 1948 BMW Special It seems as though the car was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1996. It must be possible to get a listing of cars and owners from that show. I will try to find it, but if anyone attended that event or knows someone highly involved who can help me that would be great.

Any help on this is GREATLY appreciated.

David Jurca

#16 KzKiwi

KzKiwi

• 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:38

Was this the car that Barry Leitch rebuilt 2000/01 - I have seen photos of the restoration and it looks identical.
Raceannouncer is down in southern NZ he may be able to confirm

Fairly certain that it is the same car! It made an appearance at the SCOPE classic meeting here in Christchurch in 2004 or 2005 - I have pictures somewhere.

I recall that they had an issue with the engine and missed a few races as a result.

The 2006 SCOPE meeting is on this weekend. I will let you know if it turns up, and of course get some contact details for you, if possible.

Regards,

Kirk Martin

#17 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:47

David,
Yes, sorry I missed the 2003 bit - Vince will be in CHC this weekend and should be able to get the info from Barry Leitch.

Kirk,
Good work! please pm raceannouncer2003 - Vince and yourself maybe can link up at Ruapuna and have a drink at the AMON Bar this weekend. Raise a glass or three to TNF.
Leitch Engineering have a number of very good clients and from the photos this car is a gem.

#18 David Jurca

David Jurca

• 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:48

Again, thank you for the added response. I will try to get in touch with Barry Leitch. I am assuming, if he is at the vintage race this weekend, that I will probably not be able to reach him until after this weekend. So Kirk if you can get me any information after this weekend I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all the help.

David

#19 David Jurca

David Jurca

• 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:33

Well after help from everyone on this forum, and a ton of help from Mike Velebny, who emailed me with contact info about who may have the car, I have finally found it! The car ended up being in a collection of cars in Redmond, WA, less than 45 minutes from where I live! What a small world!!! Its amazing how the car followed us from 50 years ago in Czechoslavakia. Well..... I saw it yesterday. The car looked amazing. It was completely restored and in fact, it was restored by Barry Leitch in New Zealand. The current owners were very inviting and even let me take the car for a spin. What a feeling! Here are some pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks again!

David