Photo

Topo maps & aerial ortho photos websites

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 23:04

For my website, I like to draw track maps by using topo maps and/or aerial ortho photo. I know only these websites:
  • Maporama: road maps all over the world
  • Multimap: I think that you should already know it :) - if not, road maps from many parts of the world and aerial ortho photos from England
  • atlanteitaliano.it: maps, topo maps and aerial ortho photos from Italy (website in Italian only; for some days free access is closed due to manitenance)
  • Terraserver: topo maps and aerial ortho photos from USA
Do you know any other useful websites where is possible to find anything lime this (I mean topo map and/or aerial ortho photo from any other country)?

Why do I never see a Maporama reference, but only link to Multimap :confused: ? I think that sometimes is better the first, sometimes the latter, but Maporama can show bigger maps (999 x 999 pixel).

Ciao,
Guido
www.gdecarli.tk

Advertisement

#2 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:25

In New South Wales (Australia) there is a Government run site with online aerial photos. The address is http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/airview/ You can't zoom in on the photos so you end up with something like this Katoomba
In this photo there is an old racing circuit, an old hillclimb, an old speedway and an old motorcycle short circuit! and also the hospital that I was born in!

#3 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:01

I forgot these:
  • NA KARTE: maps about Moscow, St.Peterburg, Russia and the world. Unfortunately this site in only in Russian :| (of course I can't speak Russian and I can read cyrillic :confused: like a 4 years old child! :) ), only Moscow has an English page, the only one that I visited.
  • European Space Imaging: commercial site (no free stuff!), with ortho maps about Europe (I think); up to 1 meter resolution (like Terraserver's USA photos)
Ciao,
Guido
www.gdecarli.tk

#4 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:02

Great picture Catalina, the racetrack named after you :) is very distinct in that aerial photo.

#5 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:00

Originally posted by David Shaw
Great picture Catalina, the racetrack named after you :) is very distinct in that aerial photo.

Yes, but can you see the Hillclimb and the Speedway?

#6 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 11:56

New more links:
  • S.I.T. Regione Lombardia: topo maps and aerial ortho colour photos from Lombardy, Italy (website in Italian only)
    [click "Banche dati on-line" - "Basi informative di uso generale"]
  • Cartografia Regione Emilia Romagna: Emilia Romagna (Italy) topo maps. No aerial photos. Website in Italian only
  • Terradesk: Nederlands (the whole coundry), Paris, London and Stuttgart 3D aerial colour photos. Website in Dutch only, but easy to use
  • TerraExplorer. 3D aerial colour photos: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington D.C., Westlake, London, Paris, Chamonix, Sydney. Website in English
  • MapQuest: USA aerial colour photos or road maps
  • Monza 2003, thanks to Maverick's post on this thread
Unfortunately AtlanteItaliano.it (see my first post) is still down.

Ciao,
Guido

#7 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 06:55

www.whereis.com.au is an Australian national street directory. Landmarks such as racing circuits are clearly marked, but you have to know where to find them.

http://cfm.globalf1....erial/index.htm contains several 'aerial' photographs of circuits.

#8 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 17:40

Originally posted by gdecarli
Unfortunately AtlanteItaliano.it (see my first post) is still down.

Now is on-line again.
It's in Italian only, even if there is a British flag, if somebody needs any help, please ask me.

Ciao,
Guido

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 13:50

Oh, wow, all these map sites! I may never surface again :love:

#10 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 13:05

Posted Image

#11 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 13:38

Are there 2 Donington circuits? :)

Look at upper left corner, in the parking (I think) : there is something very similar to a small Donington circuit! Maybe used by radio controlled cars?

Thank for this picture, Alexey

Ciao,
Guido

#12 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 19:58

Coincidental to your interest, I have just discovered the following site which contains a very attractive aerial photo of the Watkins Glen International circuit - the photo was taken earlier this week. I wish I had the technology to print the photo here - but it can be viewed by going to:

http://www.odessafile.com/features.htm

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 21:41

It says on that site that they're going to change the photo every few days...

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on it and download each one?

#14 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 21:50

Here is the first one... A great shot it is too...

Posted Image

#15 scurrg

scurrg

• 96 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 22:11

I love this stuff!! Here's Laguna Seca

http://terraserver-u...=10123&z=10&w=2

#16 scurrg

scurrg

• 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 00:58

Watkins Glen, April 16, 1995

Posted Image

#17 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 10:00

A one-meter resolution space image of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, taken by IKONOS satellite, can be found at SpaceImaging:

Posted Image
(little image)

http://www.spaceimag...ges/indy500.jpe
(large image, 236 kB)

#18 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 22:18

Originally posted by Alexey Rogachev
A one-meter resolution space image of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, taken by IKONOS satellite, can be found at SpaceImaging

Thanks for this pic! According to Foro Corsadigital.com (a Spanish Forum) it was taken on March 24th 2000, during F.1 circuit construction.

On the same post on the same thread there is a link also to a Daytona photo (126 KB)

On Jari's Astronomy site there is an aerial view (not ortho photo!) of new Paul Ricard HTTP.
It's not very clear, as circuit is quite far from camera...

Ciao,
Guido

#19 stavelot

stavelot

• 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 15:35

I found another site with interresting aerial photos:

Suzuka, Silverstone, A1ring, Imola, Catalunya

http://home.online.n...anf1/index.html

Enjoy it! ;)

Advertisement

#20 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 22:16

stavelot,
Thank you very much, it's a very interesting link :up:... but very hard to understand :(

I add here also Hockenheim from a balloon, on heidelberg-ballon.de (thakns to uwe who give me the link some days ago).

Ciao,
Guido

#21 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:24

Hi

If you go to this link: http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ and download the aplication World Wind 1.2e you will have acess to ALL circuits in the world :)

USA up to one-meter resolution and Topo maps, rest of the world 15-meter resolution.

BTW if you search for Porto and put the high at 10 KM you can try to identify the Porto circuit :D

Yours
Neri

#22 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:26

Well, in fact people is already digging : http://hotspots.worl...ndex.php?cat=20

#23 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 13:33

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ciao,
Guido

#24 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 16:49

Of course, now Google Maps is very great.
On tbk.fameflame.dk forum, Motorsport Photos -> Google Maps satellite images of circuits thread has links to many circuits found using Google Maps.

Ciao,
Guido

#25 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 20:25

Morten Alstrup kindly provided me with this link:

http://www.landkarte...ennstrecken.htm

#26 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 21:03

Aerial picture of the Nivelles circuit (Belgian Army - year unknown) :

Posted Image

#27 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 00:07

The one here in Augusta. Developing Diamond Lakes Regional Park can be seen with ten baseball fields where the golf course use to be. The track still in place.

Credit on the photo.

Henry

Posted Image

#28 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:11

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but over at www.thevintageracer.com there is a large database of satellite photos of American courses, past and present. Mostly ovals, fairground tracks, and dragstrips, but a few road courses are represented as well. The best section is the "still visible" database, which shows lots of the traditional old ovals that are long gone, but you can still see them carved in the landscape. My favorite-the name of which naturally escapes me at the moment- is now a junkyard. But you can see the track, infield, etc among the piles of old cars!

I love goofing around on Terraserver. I called up the old Packard Proving Grounds track, and there was a beautiful color aerial of the place (since torn down, IIRC), but the resolution was so good I could zoom in to the Lindbergh-era hangar in the infield and tell that the doors were open!

-William