Photo

Win Percy hurt

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 17:37

His many friends and admirers might want to wish Win Percy a speedy recovery. A garden accident followed by two spinal operations have left him currently paralysed below the waist. He's in Dorchester Hospital in Dorset, England, if anyone feels moved to drop him a line... Bathurst-winner Win has always been one of the most capable, friendly and approachable of all decent frontline racers and what has happened to him simply beggars belief...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 17:44

That's terrible, Doug: but thanks for letting us know.

(Is this recent? I know someone whose cars Win has raced in the recent past - maybe I should pass on the news in case they haven't heard.)

#3 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 18:31

Originally posted by Doug Nye
His many friends and admirers might want to wish Win Percy a speedy recovery. A garden accident followed by two spinal operations have left him currently paralysed below the waist. He's in Dorchester Hospital in Dorset, England, if anyone feels moved to drop him a line... Bathurst-winner Win has always been one of the most capable, friendly and approachable of all decent frontline racers and what has happened to him simply beggars belief...

DCN

Terrible news - best wishes to Win and family and I hope he makes a full recovery.

#4 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 19:06

Terrible news. Win is one of my heroes. Let's hope for the best.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 19:10

All I can say is that I hope he fully recovers

#6 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 21:22

:( Get well, Win!

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 22:16

I spoke with Win this evening. The prognosis is for a recovery but it might take some time. He's very encouraged to hear support and encouragement. Shattered discs in his spine triggered the problem - he's fit, competitive and brave as a lion...and he has great support from wife and family. He says thanks for your thoughts.

DCN

#8 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 22:23

My best wishes to Win too; in fact I was only a couple of days ago remembering his performance at the Revival last year - drifting the D-type round Lavant.

I hope he recovers soon.

PdeRL

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 22:50

Pity he won't be at the Revival this year, I always love watching him throuw those Jags around.
Get well soon Win!!!

#10 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 23:42

Get well soon!!!!!

#11 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 00:27

That's a great shame :( I really hope Win gets better soon! :up:

#12 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 228 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 01:02

Get well soon, great memories of him from the Revival last year for me too. Glad to hear that the prognosis is positive.

Ursula

#13 Cal

Cal

• 112 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:51

I would also like to wish Win a speedy recovery.

Saw him racing a D type at Brands when I was in England in July. Lovely stuff.

Cal.

#14 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:50

It's a shame to hear that, I too wish him a speedy recovery.

#15 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 13:21

I am very sorry to learn of Win's injury. Glad to hear of the positive prognosis. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

#16 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 15:31

Will miss you at the Revival Win - get well soon. :wave:

#17 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 22:11

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Pity he won't be at Goodwood.

Didn't Nikki Lauda injure himself badly in a gardening accident back in the 70s - if so, Win's in good company.

#18 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:48

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Pity he won't be at Goodwood.

Didn't Nikki Lauda injure himself badly in a gardening accident back in the 70s - if so, Win's in good company.

Building, wasn't it - fell off a tractor while working on the foundations of his new house and broke some ribs?

pete

#19 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:26

And Alan Jones fell off his motor bike on his farm, breaking a leg.

Add that to Win, Niki and Sir Stirling and it seems it's pretty dangerous to be an ex-racing driver.

Speedy recover Win - we need you for Albert Park and Phillip Island next March!

Bruce Moxon

Advertisement

#20 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 07:07

Doug,
When you talk to Win next time please give him our best and wish him a speedy recovery.
We have spent some wonderful times together during the Tour Auto and I want to continue racing against him.
He shouldn't be racing lawn-mowers.......

#21 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 15:44

Originally posted by petefenelon

Building, wasn't it - fell off a tractor while working on the foundations of his new house and broke some ribs?

pete

I think he overturned his tractor, rather than fell out...

#22 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 21:36

Can anyone give us some news on Win's condition???
I hope he is getting back on form.

#23 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:14

I have just spoken to Win who is in rehabilitation.

He has been told that he is now permanently paraplegic - paralysed from the waist down.

He is DETERMINED to handle it and has received tremendous encouragement from Sir Frank Williams and Gordon Cruickshank of 'Motor Sport' magazine who both live with similar injuries.

He is also determined to return to driving using a hand-control converted car.

If anybody can hack it Win will...and he is receiving great back up especially from his family and also from the BRDC and many friends.

Finally - he wants to thank absolutely everybody who has spared a mo to think of him and to wish him well, and he has in fact been overwhelmed by the cards and good wishes already sent to him by so many people - from all around the world - at Odstock Hospital, Salisbury...and those he has heard of as here on TNF.

DCN

#24 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 14:05

Sad news, but it's good to hear him being positive about it.
Good luck Win. :up:

#25 Keith Booker

Keith Booker

• 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 16:10

I am very saddened to learn this. I would like to add my good wishes and really hope that we'll see Win return to the tracks next season. Please keep us in touch with his progress, Doug.

#26 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 17:42

and he has in fact been overwhelmed by the cards and good wishes already sent to him by so many people - from all around the world - at Odstock Hospital, Salisbury...

I never thought I'd see Odstock Hospital on the TNF! That's where I was born! :)

But I'm very sorry to hear of this news & am glad he is taking it so well - his determined wish to return to racing despite handicap, like Zanardi, makes me think that racing drivers are certainly made of different mould than most of us mere mortals!

#27 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 18:09

Best wishes to Win for a full and speedy recovery!
Jack

#28 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 20:14

I have just spoken to Win who is in rehabilitation.

He has been told that he is now permanently paraplegic - paralysed from the waist down.

He is DETERMINED to handle it and has received tremendous encouragement from Sir Frank Williams and Gordon Cruickshank of 'Motor Sport' magazine who both live with similar injuries.

He is also determined to return to driving using a hand-control converted car.

If anybody can hack it Win will...and he is receiving great back up especially from his family and also from the BRDC and many friends.

Finally - he wants to thank absolutely everybody who has spared a mo to think of him and to wish him well, and he has in fact been overwhelmed by the cards and good wishes already sent to him by so many people - from all around the world - at Odstock Hospital, Salisbury...and those he has heard of as here on TNF.

DCN

Best wishes to Win.

Looking at what Jason Watt and Clay Regazzoni have achieved since their accidents, I hope Win can continue to enjoy taking part in his sport..... and I'm sure he will.

#29 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 22:30

My best wishes to Win and also to his family. It is really encouragint to know that he is determined to race again.

Arturo

#30 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 04:02

this is awful news, but, GOOD LUCK WIN!! We all hope to see you out in the track, doing what you do best, very soon!!

#31 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 10:35

One of the best to ever strap on a tin top. Bathurst winner, British Saloon Car Champion, as easily at home in a brutish Group A Holden, or approaching 400 down the Mulsanne chute in a Jaguar XJR6. A little self-powered open wheeler should be no problem at all.

Win, the motorsporting world has every confidence in your ability to deal with your new circumstances. Just paint the chair green, or Silk Cut Purple if you insist and put a self-centreing number in the wheels.