Photo

Ernest Eldridge; a breif history - can anyone add to it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eldridge

eldridge

• 80 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 15:32

Ernest Eldridge.
Even though He was a family member, very little is really known about E A D Eldridge. He has one surviving son, but he can remember very little about him. There are some facts and myths that have been passed around concerning EADE, and here are a few of them.

He was born to a wealthy family in Hampstead, London. His father was a "bill discounter" and amassed a very tidy fortune (all of which EADE squandered, but more of that later). EADE was sent to Harrow School for his education, but whilst in the 6th form he went out to the Western Front.

Here is the 1st conflicting story. I heard that EADE went to be an ambulance driver, but I have subsequently been told that he went to join the French Artillery! I also believe that he lied about his age.

Not much is known about the years between 1918 and 1922 when EADE reappeared at Brooklands. There are family myths about EADE flying with Count Zborowski, but whether these are true - who knows?

The early part of EADE racing career is littered with corpses of large (often AERO engine) Racing cars. He drove the 10 Litre Fiat, and then arrived with the Issotta Maybach. 20 or so litres of Racing car, and quite Fearsome.

He drove this car for a while, but was not terribly successful with it so sold it to a Frenchman named "Le Champion".

With the proceeds he bought Mephistopheles, and embarked on famous escapades.
It should be stated that as far as we can tell EADE had no formal engineering education. He did however build these cars, and is therefore might be considered one of the first Garagistes! I have read somewhere that EADE was involved with the Gwynne cars, but have not been able to corroborate this.

In 1925 he sold Mephistopheles (again to Le Champion) and decided to enter the world of Grand Prix racing with cars of his own design - The Eldridge Specials. Based on Amilcar Chassis with Anzani Engines, these cars were entered at many races for the 1925/6 seasons including the Brooklands 200, The San Sebastian, the L'ACF and the Italian GPs. He also entered the 1926 Indy 500 (no doubt tempted by the prize money).

Whilst in the USA, EADE tried a Miller 122, and was so impressed he ran it at Salem Rockingham, Atlantic City and Altoona and then Returned to Europe to Break Records at Montlhery. Whilst attempting some speed records over the Xmas Holidays the front axle disintegrated, the cars somersaulted, and EADE was left with some very serious head injuries and than lost one of his eyes.

Once recovered he continued to take records with other cars including Chrysler at Montlhery, and then found himself becoming the "Record Attempt Manager" for Capt Eyston. EADE coordinated (and sometimes drove during) the record attempts with the MG cars, helped design record car "Speed of the Wind" and then went to Bonneville to manage the record attempt.

It was whilst returning from this trip that Eldridge contracted Pneumonia and then subsequently died in Kensington.

As for EADE on a personal level - well I believe him to be something of a chararcter. He spent the family fortune (we know of one occasion that whilst playing "chemy" in Monte Carlo in 1922, EADE lost £60,000 on the turn of ONE card!!), and I'm sure that the Flying and Racing was also expensive!

A few years ago a pair of his racing goggles came up for auction - being sold by his wife. This was strange as his wife had dies before the war. It turned out that this was EADE's 2nd wife that he had married in 1925? Whilst still married to his 1st wife. The 2nd wife was a French woman named Marie by all accounts. So a bigamist as well!

If any TNFers have any information, stories, pictures or anecdotes, please let me know. I have heard that somewhere there is an account written of the 2 GP seasons that EADE undertook. If this is true, and if anyone can help - Please let me Know. :up: :D

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 15:55

I'm surprised you didn't mention his Land Speed Record of 146.01mph/235.02kmh in Mephistopheles at Arpajon in 1924 :) When first built, Mephistopheles had an engine of just over 18 litres, but John Duff blew that up in 1922 (must have been spectacular?). Eldridge installed a 21.7 litre Fiat airship engine when he bought the car.

#3 eldridge

eldridge

• 80 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 16:16

:blush: Sorry - I should have mentioned that as the Land Speed Record part of EADE's life has been so well covered I'd keep the story shorter!!!

#4 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 342 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 16:39

A fascinating story. I hope that you can find more.
  Eldridge only had the Miller for his last American race, at Atlantic City. He drove his own car at Altoona and Salem, but did not start either race. The full record of Eldridge's American tour can be found on Phil Harms' invaluable stats pages at motorsport.com.

#5 raoul leDuke

raoul leDuke

• 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:15

Posted Image

Eldridge in an Eldridge-Anzani at the 1926 Indy 500.

Posted Image

Eldridge testing a Miller at the 1926 Indy 500.

Posted Image

Douglas Hawkes in an Eldridge-Anzani at the 1926 Indy 500.

To see bigger images click on the photos above, then scroll to the bottom of the page that opens.

#6 raoul leDuke

raoul leDuke

• 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:26

Posted Image

The Eldridge-Anzani that Douglas Hawkes drove in the 1926 Indy 500.

To see bigger image click on the photo above, then scroll to the bottom of the page that opens.