Photo

Lotus 78/79 book

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Big Jim

Big Jim

• 86 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 19:23

Just received the Lotus 78 and 79 book by John Tipler. It's a good read. One you Lotusophiles will want in your Library.

Anyone have any 78/79 stories to tell?

Advertisement

#2 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 15:03

Not a story, but a reflection...

Was the Lotus 78 a great car? While the type 79 can be considered that, with the ground effects honed to near perfection it was really a dominant car.

The '79' notched six wins during 1978 with three of them beeing 'one-twos'.
Ten poles in eleven races is another telling figure. Five of them beeing 'one-twos'.

The '78' managed two early season wins during 1978 too, while Rebaque recorded no less than seven DNQ's in a private '78'. But maybe this is more reflective of Rebaque himself and his team's performance.

During 1977 the 'type 78' captured seven poles. Andretti won four races and Nilsson one. For a car with that 'unfair' advantage of having ground effects, the record is not all that impressive.

The '78' got beaten more often that it won. In relative terms simple cars like the Wolf WR and McLaren M26 won six races. Championship winning Ferrari won four races. A Shadow and Ligier took the remaining two wins. On top of that, Ferrari's eight runners-up spots, secured clear wins in both the contructors and driver table.

So was it just all about reliability then?

#3 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 16:01

As far as I recall, reliability was the main issue Rainer yes. Didn't they ahve some 'special' DFVs that year, that were less than perfect, Mario I think also was a little impetuous on occasion too, so, from memory, they probably lost another couple of wins for reasons other than the car itself.

Whether it can be classed as a "great" car I guess depends on how you define the word, but I'd certainly describe it as a revolutionary car, if you look at the effect (pardon the pun) it had on car racing design across the board over the next few years. There were even 'wing cars' in FF2000 for heavens sake...

Rebaque, well he was only ever a journeyman at best, and maybe the team running him in 78 wasn't the best, but don't forget he did score a point with it, which I think was the last ever true privateer to finish in a GP top 6. So the 78 had that on its cv too.

#4 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:43

I resurrect this old thread to ask whether anybody knows if there is a new book on these cars in the works somewhere?
Considering how pivotal they were in the history of the sport.

The Tipler's book was a good one, but I am thinking more of the Michael Oliver treatment, like on the 49 and the marvellous book on the 72.

I know he posts here, is he thinking to do it or someone else is?

Well, that was the intention, to do a three-car trilogy about the 49, 72 and ground effect cars but the Tipler book's arrively rather scuppered that. I have some interviews 'in the can' and am not saying 'never' but I have other projects I'm working on at the moment, so perhaps it's more a case of 'not for a while'!!!

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 14:06

Didn't they ahve some 'special' DFVs that year, that were less than perfect, Mario I think also was a little impetuous on occasion too, so, from memory, they probably lost another couple of wins for reasons other than the car itself.

IIRC when I was building a 20th scale '78 from a Tamiya kit there was a Nicholson McLaren sticker for the DFV cam cover.

#6 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:51

Well, that was the intention, to do a three-car trilogy about the 49, 72 and ground effect cars but the Tipler book's arrively rather scuppered that. I have some interviews 'in the can' and am not saying 'never' but I have other projects I'm working on at the moment, so perhaps it's more a case of 'not for a while'!!!

Personally I thought the Tipler book was very disappointing, I'm sure you can do a much better one Michael!

#7 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:12

I have PM'ed Michael about this before - I would love him to do a book on the 78/79. His books on the 49 and 72 are amazing and I think the story of the 78/79 would be really facinating.

I have not got the Tipler book mainly becasue I have not heard good reviews on it and also I want to complete my set and that just wouldn't fit in with the 49 & 72 books!