Tre Fontane

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:20

Fellows,

I was working on another subject when I got diverted by a map of the Tre Fontane street track in a Southern Rome suburb at the official Baconin Borzacchini website (thanks to Guido for the link). As the location of this track seemed to remain a mystery, I had a go on it and...

...after a few hours of work I found the track via Multimap.com. It can be seen at this crop.

This is an overlay of the track to two Multimap crops (the track is in dark green) :

Posted Image

The circa 4-kilometer long straight at Via Ostiense is remarkable. Madonna!

The river along Via Ostiense is the Tevere. Note that the track encircles the EUR neighbourhood. Therefore I generated the drawing below, that shows Tre Fontane (in dark green) and the street track proposed for the stillborn 1985 Rome Formula 1 Grand Prix (this one is showed in light green) :

Posted Image

And this is the Tre Fontane lay-out from Daniel King's Racing Circuits website - to which I added the street names.

Posted Image

Hopefully this will be of help, and someday an enthusiast - calling Guido, calling Barry Boor :wave: - will be kind enough to go there and provide us some video stills or pictures of Tre Fontane. Oak Park is too far from Rome for me to help! ;)

Cheers,

Muzza

Advertisement

#2 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 20:00

OK, I have to admit tham Muzza was much better than me about this matter :up:
I don't know why I thought Tre Fontane circuit was much shorter and I couldn't understant its exact location :blush: This area was rebuilt for 1960 Olympic Games, so I thought that also some roads were changed (quite strange in Italy!) :blush:
Of course I was wrong :blush:, so thanks Muzza for your help :clap:

Circuit lenght, according to Quentin Cloud's website was:
  • 1928-1929: 13.035 km - 8.101 mi
  • 1930: 13.050 km - 8.111 mi
  • 1931: 13.000 km - 8.080 mi
So let's try to make me forgive for this error :)
I don't live near Rome, but if once I go there and I have enough time, I will take some pics! Meanwhile I looked for some pics on the net. Of course they are not about the track, they are about EUR area.

I found several Rome 360° virtual pics on Le Chiavi del Mondo website (in Italian, English, French and Spanish) : click on EUR area, at the bottom of Rome map and then click on what you want to look at.

If you can understand Italian, there is an EUR history on Il Giardino di Venere e Roma, with 24 pics taken at EUR.

I have also a surprise for you, but I have to work on it, so I will post later.

Ciao,
Guido

#3 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:20

Originally posted by gdecarli
Circuit lenght, according to Quentin Cloud's website was:

• 1928-1929: 13.035 km - 8.101 mi
  • 1930: 13.050 km - 8.111 mi
  • 1931: 13.000 km - 8.080 mi

I think I was quite drunk, as track lenght are correct, but they come from two different sources (Quentin Cloud and Nuvolari official website) and - more important - this circuit was used only from 1928 to 1930, NOT in 1931.

However I have just upload on my website all info, correct sources and two maps drawn on a 1930 road atlas (click for direct link to my page) :

Posted Image
(I have also another one that shows the whole Rome city)

Ciao,
Guido

#4 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 13:49

I agree it's huge - I believe it covers the entire present area of EUR!

I've walked and driven most of these streets - the Via Laurentina in particular - dozens of times, as I have friends living in EUR. Most of the walking and driving was done before I realised they were once part of a track... But now I understand - hmm, the Laurentina has a wonderful curvy, up-and-down nature. Perfect for motor racing!