WIN PERCY print appeal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 18:45

Hi folks,

After consulting Don, I would like to draw your attention via the link below to a thread over on the 'ten-tenths' forum.
We are all aware of the situation that Win Percy finds himself in. I have been commissioned to paint a scene of the Jaguar D-type XKD505 which is featured in the print. Please take a moment to pop over and take a look and hopefully you good folks here in TNF and visitors to 10/10ths can help our friend Win at this difficult time. There is also a link where messages can be left for him.
Many thanks all.
Regards Andrew.
http://www.ten-tenth...&threadid=51042

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 20:18

I encourage everyone who can, to help with this Good Cause.

#3 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:42

Many thanks Don and for making this a 'sticky'.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 17:54

This is tricky...

I am privileged to count myself a friend of Win's and such I would emphasise that in purchasing Andrew Kitson's print you would not only be acquiring a presentable painting but also assisting one of the racing world's most genuine and pleasant racing drivers.

However I do find it tiresome - and in the company of subscribers to this Forum intensely demeaning for Win himself - that car owner Nigel Webb or his agents on 10/10 should persist in inflating claims for his version of 'XKD505' in such a notably brazen manner.

Mr Webb's ex-David Lomas car so far as I know includes hardly any single component which can in any way trace really adequate provenance back to use by Mike Hawthorn (without a final 'e' by the way), much less use at Le Mans as early as 1955.

Please do support the 10/10 appeal for Win's sake - and the car depicted in the painting is a supremely well put together example of Historic racing sports equipment - but don't necessarily accept for one moment the owner's party line about it being the 1955 Le Mans-winning D-Type, nor his fallback case - frequently quoted to me - for its 'reality' being "no different from any other surviving D-Type"...

Please do support and respect Win Percy by all means - but Win is the ENTIRELY genuine article, unlike the car with which he is here associated.

I hope TNFers will appreciate where I'm coming from...as I said in the beginning, this is tricky - Win is a terrific bloke to whom fate in recent years has dealt a ghastly hand - but I felt it had to be said.

DCN

#5 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 15:40

Many thanks Doug,
You are right, Win is a lovely bloke and is overwhelmed with the support he is receiving. May I thank everyone here who may have contributed.
As for the car XKD505, I have no idea about the originality other than what I was told when this commission was placed, which I have stated over on 10/10ths. I have long thought it was the original car, I suppose because this particular D-type is always referred to as the 'ex-Hawthorn '55 winner' in magazines, by some race meeting commentators and as Doug says by car owners Nigel & Naomi Webb.
But original or not, I am sure you will agree that Win's driving at the Le Mans Classic was flawless in this car, winning all four of his races in spectacular style and an achievement worth capturing on canvas. Win himself told me that it is the most enjoyable car he has driven, with a huge smile on his face at every turn. Let us hope that one day we will see him in action in the car again.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 21:31

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I am sure you will agree that Win's driving at the Le Mans Classic was flawless in this car, winning all four of his races in spectacular style and an achievement worth capturing on canvas. Win himself told me that it is the most enjoyable car he has driven, with a huge smile on his face at every turn. Let us hope that one day we will see him in action in the car again.

Now I would certainly raise a cuppa tea to that - absolutely NO dissent there whatsoever...
:up:

DCN

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:31

I'm going over to Weymouth to see Win tomorrow - would anyone like to offer a message for him that I should take with me????

DCN

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:22

I'm hopeless with words - just give him all our good wishes.

If he's computer literate, introduce him to TNF, ten-tenths etc. At least it will help him pass the time.

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 19:50

Saw Win today - in fine form and with promising developments in his condition. He's driving a BMW with hand controls and thanks everybody here most sincerely for thinking of him during a period when he really needed to feel he and his family were not alone. From Win Percy - thanks everybody for your compassion and good wishes...every one helped. :up: Oh - and computer literate, he is not. But we're working on 'im...

DCN

#10 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 20:17

Hope you had a good lunch Doug - Win told me this morning you were popping over.
He is so pleased with the response to this print appeal and deeply touched, especially by some of the letters folk have sent when ordering - thanks to all who have helped.

#11 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 21:19

i remember win percy from his many frontrunning efforts at mt panorama, back when my idea of decadence was guzzling cola and chomping on crisps while watching the great race on TV

he certainly was one of the most distinguished to have blazed that particular trail and obviously a driver held in the highest regard internationally

best regards from a antipodean childhood tin-topper turned F1 nut

#12 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 14:57

According to the Official Goodwood Revival entry list, Win Percy is there in a specially modified Jaguar Mk1. Is that definitely happening? :D

#13 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 18:00

It was good to see Win in good spirits at the Le Mans Classic, telling us about progress with his health.
I got the print I ordered and it's great; pity that you put the 450S Maserati in with a dark helmet for the driver (the owner driving it); can you make a version with my helmet when I drove it in the other races at the same meeting (haha)?????

Thanks for the idea, we should all support Win in getting back behind the wheel.