Le Mans 65 Ed Hugus ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HEROS

HEROS

• 239 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 16:30

Hello to all,

I lately read an information concerning a possible participation of Ed Hugus in the triumph of Ferrari 250 LM with Rindt and Gregory.

Indeed, Hugus would have driven during the night to replace Gregory whose night vision was not good. It seems that Hughus appears in certain results and yet one speaks only of Rindt and Gregory.

Apparently the ACO did not seems to be informed of this situation.

Did somebody already know this story ? Can you give me your version of the facts ?

:smoking:

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 16:53

Try http://forums.atlasf...highlight=Hugus for more.....

Plus:

http://forums.atlasf...rder=descending

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 19:36

Not technically on-topic, but related to both Ed Hugus and Le Mans, I have just received this super little resin 43rd scale model of a bobtail Cooper driven by the very same Ed Hugus at Le Mans in.....

...well, the box says 1955, but I think it was actually 1956.

Nice isn't it?

Posted Image

#4 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 19:49

Originally posted by Barry Boor
...well, the box says 1955, but I think it was actually 1956.

Very nice model !!!

1956 Le Mans, Cooper T39, Ed Hugus-John Bentley.
Posted Image

Source: "24 Heures du Manas 1923-1992", photo: Droits réervés, © unknown.

#5 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 20:19

There is another little story attached to this of all bizarre Le Mans win: when Masten was at the wheel at about 9PM, and after trying to break the car in the same manner as Rindt did, I.E. by using full revs and the machinery at its whole, the car began smoking lightly after a stop. Rindt said, "well, that's it", packed his bag and left the circuit on board his big Ford Zodiac on his way to his Paris appartment.
Alerted by the signalingl pit at Mulsanne, Masten stopped after two laps and they found out that they just had over-filled the oil tank and the excess oil from the dry sump was dripping on the exhaust from the vent line. So they sent a 'token Frenchman" working for Chinetti in a road car to go after Jochen and bring him back. The guy got to Jochen about 5 miles on the road to Paris, honked his horn, made him to stop and talked him into turning around and he came back at about 10.30PM to get right back in the LM.
I got this story many years ago from a well-known journalist for Champion and cannot verify that this actually happened, and despite that I was myself an attentive spectator watching from over the pits, I did not notice anything abnormal or if and when my good friend Ed did indeed drive the car. However I can certainly say that Ed is a modest person speaking in a low tone of voice, and if he says he drove the car, you better believe him.
Barry, lovely little "Coop".
Regards,

T54

Posted Image

Posted Image