Photo

Blind in one eye

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 18:42

Have just been ging through the various disabled/handicapped etc threads and noticed a suggestion that Dick Protheroe was blind in one eye
Can anyone confirm this?
Tommy Milton, Indianapolis 500 winner in 1921 and 1923, famously suffered a similar affliction, and mention was also made of 1960s USAC driver Chuck Hulse
But does anyone know of any one-eyed drivers of more recent times, especially in Europe?

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 19:58

Wasn't Ernie Irvan rendered partially blind in one eye after his Michigan shunt in '94? I don't suppose Helmut Marko counts, as I don't think he raced again again after Clermont '72. I am sure that there's someone else relateively 'obvious', but it's not coming to me at the moment...!

TW

#3 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 19:59

Ayrton Senna was certainly blind in one eye - figuratively speaking, that is!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :blush:

#4 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 21:36

Originally posted by Twin Window
Wasn't Ernie Irvan rendered partially blind in one eye after his Michigan shunt in '94? I don't suppose Helmut Marko counts, as I don't think he raced again again after Clermont '72. I am sure that there's someone else relateively 'obvious', but it's not coming to me at the moment...!

TW

Following the MIS accident, Ernie Irvan had temporary vision problems with one eye. Amazingly he was allowed to make his "comeback" drive in the NASCAR Truck series wearing an eye patch...but then again, it would have been difficult for NASCAR to argue against it considering they had once allowed Richard Petty to do the same at a short track race in the early 1970's.

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 21:52

Ah... that'll be what I remembered. Still, he effectively raced 'blind' in one eye by wearing said eye patch, so I wasn't a million miles off! :)

TW

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 23:38

The CAMS in Australia has always had a prohibition on issue of licences to drivers with monocular vision. This is because it reduces depth perception.

But they allowed International licencees to race here in International events. Like Jim Palmer.

The AASA don't have this prohibition, so people like Peter Turnbull (builder and driver of the Turnham cars) can race again... Peter lost an eye twelve years ago.

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 23:45

There was a guy with only one eye (I think) at Rolex 24hours back in 02 I think (might have been 03)

#8 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 00:23

This doesn't count, but a person wearing a blindfold over BOTH eyes drove around Donnington for a lap or so, with help from a "co-driver" :p Broke some World Record, I think... :up:

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 00:27

Paul - I sent you a PM; did you not receive it?! :

TW

#10 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 00:37

No, I haven't. I just checked my inbox to be sure, but no new messages for a few months! So, I don't understand what's going on there :confused:

#11 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:12

I dimly recall an old Road & Track or Sports Car Graphic magazine from the 60's with a mention, and possibly even a pix IIRC, of an elderly fella, perhaps even referred to as a 'grandpa', racing a Cobra in the sports car prelim to a Grand Prix. He was minus an eye but it apparently didn't stop him from trouncing the opposition soundly!

#12 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:36

Originally posted by David McKinney
Have just been ging through the various disabled/handicapped etc threads and noticed a suggestion that Dick Protheroe was blind in one eye
Can anyone confirm this?
Tommy Milton, Indianapolis 500 winner in 1921 and 1923, famously suffered a similar affliction, and mention was also made of 1960s USAC driver Chuck Hulse
But does anyone know of any one-eyed drivers of more recent times, especially in Europe?

Chuck Hulse on 01 May 2004: Posted Image

#13 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:43

Confusing :

"Tommy Milton was blind in his left eye from birth, he passed the eyesight test for qualification as a racing driver by memorizing the standard eye charts" :
http://www.geocities...tommymilton.htm

"And Tommy Milton was congenitally blind in his right eye and had impaired vision in his left eye" :
http://home.flash.ne...ries/Milton.htm

#14 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:03

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Blind in one eye.............. All TNFers when it come to there favourite Drivers & Teams. :rolleyes:

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:54

After his 1961 British GP shunt at Aintree ----- Henry Taylor.

DCN

#16 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 13:10

Another driver who was blind in one eye was Jim Jeffords. When he had to go through his medical test before the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans, he was afraid who would fail. When te time came to cover his "good" eye, he ran his hand up the inside leg of the nurse who administered the test. She jumped and responded with a "MONSIEUR JEFFOOOORDS!!!!!" and was distracted enough for Jeffords to read the letters.

WINO

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 13:19

Originally posted by Doug Nye
After his 1961 British GP shunt at Aintree ----- Henry Taylor.
DCN

I realise I didn't word my original post as clearly as I should have
I meant drivers who actually raced in a monocular state - like Tommy Milton, Chuck Hulse and Jim Palmer
Anyone of a more European nature? Protheroe? H Taylor didn't race after that accident, did he?

#18 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 13:38

He certainly drove in rallies thereafter...and I thought he raced too...

DCN

#19 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 14:02

According to The Formula One Record Book Henry Taylor next raced a Formula One car (after Aintree) at the Danish GP on August 26 (and outqualified Innes Ireland!) where he finished fourth. He then raced at the Modena and Italian Grands Prix and the Gold Cup that year.

Steve Small reports that he "returned to the tracks occasionally in 1963 and 1964, when he finished second at both Zolder and Brands Hatch and third at the Nürburgring in Alan Mann's Lotus-Cortina."

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 14:06

I think there is a distinction to be made between those who acquire a 'disability' and have to learn to adjust and those born with one who have been learning from birth.

This was certainly the argument put forward by Archie Scott Brown, or on his behalf. Although in his case it was not an eye that was being questioned.

#21 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 14:14

Not really an international star but Irelands Vivion Daly (Brother of Derek raced for many years with moncular vision. He started out in Karts and progressed to FFord and was dominant in Irelands premiere class, Formula Vauxhall for many years. Unfortunately he succumed to cancer last year. Nice bloke who never let his "handicap" affect his racing.

#22 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 14:32

This may be of some interest. When I was 21 (a seriously long time ago : ) , I acquired a cataract in one eye via the relatively simple exercise of putting my head though an MGB windscreen (I was the passenger, honest!). This was what is known as a traumatic cataract. Whilst the vision in that eye was reasonable in indoor situations, its acuity was really very poor in high UV conditions. So outdoors in the sun, I operated with essentially monocular vision. Initially - as I recall, for about six months - I found it quite difficult to assess distances accurately, particularly if I was trying to work at any kind of speed. But it was quite remarkable how in time, the brain learnt to compensate and I came to the point where I felt absolutely no concern about, say, judging distances and gaps when driving at any speed. My insurance no claim bonus is at the max ... and has been for years! During this time I learnt to play tennis and fly gliders, both activities requiring rapid assessment of position in three dimensions.

Motor racing with one eye would, I am sure, be more challenging but still, I can report that having very limited vision in one eye was something that caused me no difficulties at all.

For the record, middle age brought on the 'maturity' of the cataract, and the development of one in the left eye. But recently - in April - both eyes received intra-ocular implants and I fancy I now have distance vision in the fighter pilot class!

#23 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 16:05

The brain is amazing in its ability to adjust perceptions: 1950s experiments had University students wearing a device that inverted images reaching their eyes. It took a short time (3-4 days ?) for them to attain full functionality. Even shorter a time to readjust.

Frank S

#24 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 23:20

I heard that Protheroe was blind in one eye, but suspect that it was I who was responsible for the earlier reference, so this is not independent confirmation! I had it from Patrick Head (about 40 years ago while still at school) who presumably had it from his old man, who raced against Protheroe.

#25 Garrypolled

Garrypolled

• 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 23:38

I have been blind in my right eye since 1975. I haven't driven a competition car since before then, but would not expect it to be significantly difficult.
The only time I have experienced any problem driving on the roads, is in the dark, when judging the distance of oncoming traffic.
I obtained a "waiver of demonstrated ability" in 1983 and was issued a private pilots license by the FAA.

#26 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 23:40

I've actually got limited vision in my right eye. It's been like that since as long as I can remember (I remember complaining about the problem to my mum when I was about 6 years old). I don't wear glasses, and I can't really totally describe the problem. It's not that it's incredibly blurred, it's more as if I've got black spots on my retina or something :confused: Reading is impossible, but I can still see objects. I've never even been to the opticians in my life.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to affect my karting at all, and although I'm not old enough to drive, when I've driven a car on private land, that's all seemed fine too. :)

#27 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:45

Wino: I heard that Jeffords story today at lunch, first time I had heard it. By the way what is your real name?

#28 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:40

Frank,

Did you know that it was Jeffords who was originally responsible for the marketing of the Troutman-Barnes designed Chaparral 1? As a former Scarab driver, he bought the first --still unfinished-- car and sold the second one in the pipeline to fellow townsman Harry Heuer. Then he caught a viral infection in January 1961 and was out of commision for quite a whil. He sold his share in the "Riverside" project to his friend and sometimes co-driver Jim Hall. History would have been different if it had no been for Jim's illness.

WINO

#29 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 13:51

Chaparral: I seem to remember from my racing days that Gary Wilson owned one of the early cars.

#30 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:39

Originally posted by Ray Bell
The CAMS in Australia has always had a prohibition on issue of licences to drivers with monocular vision. This is because it reduces depth perception.

But they allowed International licencees to race here in International events. Like Jim Palmer.

The AASA don't have this prohibition, so people like Peter Turnbull (builder and driver of the Turnham cars) can race again... Peter lost an eye twelve years ago.

I suppose it's possible that Len Deaton raced on a licence other than CAMS (he had recently returned from a stint in England) but he raced in Australia in the 1960s and had been blind in one eye ever since he was a child, when (I was told) his mother hit him in the eye with a golf ball - unintentionally, I assume).

You just had to be careful not to try to outbrake him on his blind side. Someone did once (can't remember who) at Catalina and they tripped over each other.

#31 MP1-4

MP1-4

• 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:31

Originally posted by WINO
Another driver who was blind in one eye was Jim Jeffords. When he had to go through his medical test before the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans, he was afraid who would fail...

The same was with Bruce McLaren. He almost failed medical test before Indy 500 in 1968.

#32 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 22:33

I believe Johnny Servoz-Gavin was forced to retire, due to an accident where he lost one of his eyes?

#33 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 23:52

Helmet Marko comes to mind in a BRM.

Gavin retired because of something of an eye injury. Did he lose the eye completely?

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 22:33

Yes, I think he did... and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, he didn't ever race again.

As I recall, his desire to further risk himself was negated by his professional ambitions...

#35 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 23:05

Originally posted by Twin Window
I am sure that there's someone else relateively 'obvious', but it's not coming to me at the moment...!

TW

Originally posted by MoMurray
Not really an international star but Irelands Vivion Daly (Brother of Derek raced for many years with moncular vision. He started out in Karts and progressed to FFord and was dominant in Irelands premiere class, Formula Vauxhall for many years. Unfortunately he succumed to cancer last year. Nice bloke who never let his "handicap" affect his racing.

That's who I was thinking of...

I must admit that I wasn't aware of his passing. Sad news indeed.

TW

#36 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 20:48

I'm sure I read that a recently retired rally driver from Austria, or possibly Germany, was blind in one eye -If I recall, he only revealed this when he retired.. I can't remember his name, but I think he drove for VW in the 1980s, possibly Franz Wittman ?

#37 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 21:19

Originally posted by Rainer Nyberg
I believe Johnny Servoz-Gavin was forced to retire, due to an accident where he lost one of his eyes?

He didn't actually lose the eye, Rainer. He was injured during an off-road event during the winter of 1969-70 and although the eye seemed to recover, his vision grew progressively worse, especially when racing (vibration?). Rather than carry on and endanger his fellow drivers and himself, he took the brave decision to quit after Monaco 1970.

#38 geoffp13

geoffp13

• 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:52

I heard that Protheroe was blind in one eye, but suspect that it was I who was responsible for the earlier reference, so this is not independent confirmation! I had it from Patrick Head (about 40 years ago while still at school) who presumably had it from his old man, who raced against Protheroe.

Dick Protheroe was blind in one eye sustained in a motor racing accident. He continued in the RAF as a Valiant pilot until his retirement.
GeoffP

#39 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 19:45

Norwich rally driver Ted Cleghorn lost his left eye and right arm in an accident before the war. In the fifties he rallied a Dellow, later on he would compete in a Singer Gazelle, Triumph Herald and Volvo 122, including entering the Monte Carlo Rally

Advertisement

#40 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 21:01

Masten Gregory's brother Ridelle (sp?) was blind in one eye. Raced in US sportscars in the 50s.

#41 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 21:14

Actually gentlemen I fall into this category.

Amazingly I was never given an eye test at the amateur level before obtaining a competition license.

All that was needed was a clean bill of health from the local doctor and he loved a few extra dollars in cash.

Even finished first a couple of times.

Go figure.

Henry :wave:

#42 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:08

Paul Drayson, the politician and Aston Martin GT2 entrant/driver has been blind in one eye since birth

http://www.astonmart...69-9f718919fc78

http://www.draysonracing.com/

#43 seccotine

seccotine

• 129 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:48

Servoz Gavin's sight wasn't that bad. It is also that the man gradually realised he didn't totally accept all the constraints related to his life as a racing driver.
It was said that he had had problems of perception when he went in and out the tunnel in Monaco that year, 1970. During that week-end, all his existential doubts converged and he quit without warning (if this has to be said, he was a very implusive man).

#44 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:26

Actually gentlemen I fall into this category.

Amazingly I was never given an eye test at the amateur level before obtaining a competition license.

All that was needed was a clean bill of health from the local doctor and he loved a few extra dollars in cash.

Even finished first a couple of times.

Go figure.

May I ask, have you been blind in one eye since birth?

#45 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:08

I don't think it has been mentioned on this thread but Colin Milburn, English test cricketer, was blind in one eye. If you can judge a hard leather ball flying towards you at up to 100mph well enough to be selected to play for your country then the judgment required for racing a car should be relatively easy. That's not to say I am denigrating the ability of any driver!

Sorry, edited to say I have just checked and Milburn didn't play test cricket after his accident, was still able to play for a while though.

Edited by RCH, 19 June 2009 - 10:14.

#46 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:27

Doug Wolfgang said "its not how good your eye sight is but how well you use what you have got"

#47 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 20:43

May I ask, have you been blind in one eye since birth?

Yep, plus I got an ear that is not worth a dime.

People always asked why I just used one ear plug while racing. :cat: