Attention everyone: how to post your images

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
440 replies to this topic

#201 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 22:26

So I choose good for 76% bad for 24% over bad for 76% good for 24%.

Then please choose again; the maximum size for this BB is 800 pixels width.

This has has already been pointed-out to you by both David McKinney and Ray Bell, who between them have contributed 49,959 posts and, it's fair to say, know what they're talking about...

Advertisement

#202 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:36

Then please choose again; the maximum size for this BB is 800 pixels width.

This has has already been pointed-out to you by both David McKinney and Ray Bell, who between them have contributed 49,959 posts and, it's fair to say, know what they're talking about...

Sorry, I was merely pointing out that using flickr has its limitations (if you upload your images as exported from your camera). There is no share 800 pixel wide option, only 500 or 1024.

#203 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:56

So forget Flikr's resizing, download Irfanview and do it yourself...

The added advantage of being able to crop to exactly what you want to put up is a bonus.

#204 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:39

Posted Image

testing

#205 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:43

Too big? Have I missed something?

This is my first attempt (well, first successful-ish attempt), so all comments appreciated.

Thanks.

#206 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:37

Next time reduce width to 800 pixels and we'll all be happy :)

#207 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:22

Another resizing question.

Do you resize images when you upload from your computer to Imageshack, or do you resize when moving the image from Imageshack to the forum?

I've tried resizing when uploading the image from both Imageshack and Photobucket to the forum, but when I preview the post, I'm still getting an oversized photo.

Thanks for any replies.

#208 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:43

I usually create a new copy of the relevant photo on my computer in the size I want it to be when uploaded (ie 700 - 800 pixels wide). I then upload this via Imageshack without any additional resizing. Sometimes I don't bother resizing in advance, but use the resizing option (640 x 480) when uploading via Imageshack. Both these methods have worked OK for me.

#209 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 20:36

Next time reduce width to 800 pixels and we'll all be happy :)

That might be a function of your browser's and monitor's viewing facilities. I use Mozilla Firefox, and have set the size of certain Web sites at an enlarged version, in order to see the type in readable form. The viewing size is adjustable by Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus. Unfortunately, compensating for some sites' too-small text results in too-large images.

#210 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:04

That might be a function of your browser's and monitor's viewing facilities. I use Mozilla Firefox, and have set the size of certain Web sites at an enlarged version, in order to see the type in readable form. The viewing size is adjustable by Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus. Unfortunately, compensating for some sites' too-small text results in too-large images.

You may be right. I'm using the work computer (allegedly), and they have restrictions on what we can and can't do.

Anyway, I think I have it worked out.

#211 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:26

Resizing is very easy in Irfanview...

I don't know why everyone doesn't have Irfanview as their default picture viewer. So easy!

#212 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:23

About time we did a new Imageshack 'how to'... as Imageshack looks a bit different to what it did when I last ran through it here...

Starting with the first time you put a pic up on Imageshack, which means prior to registering there, just starting out as a fresh-faced amateur... here we go:

The page http://imageshack.us opens thus:

Posted Image

You click on the upload option 'image/video' and then click on 'Browse', select the pic you intend uploading:

Posted Image

You have the option here of putting in your e.mail address, this will register you as an Imageshack user (preferred, but not totally necessary). If you have a pic that's too large (approximately 750 pixels wide is both plenty for most pictures and not going to draw complaints about being too large), you can resize the pic as you upload it:

Posted Image

Then click on 'Upload' and let Imageshack do its thing. When it has you will have the option to select a link for a forum, for an e.mail to a friend, or a thumbnail for either. The pink marking is for a full size pic to pop up within your post, the green is for a thumbnail that will require the reader to click on it to get the full size pic.

Posted Image

Notice also that your registration as an Imageshack user is able to be expanded with a username to the right? Good idea in most cases, your pics then don't disappear after a year of not being accessed... they're permanent as long as Imageshack remains viable. So you fill it in:

Posted Image

Imageshack e.mail you a registration link so you can retain that in your e.mail files for future reference.

Once registered, you have a new appearance for Imageshack... and eventually you'll have all your images racked up to the left of the screen while on the right you get a bunch of options:

Posted Image

Again, highlighted are the two main ones. The green highlight is when you want to just upload one pic at a time... and the pink is (provided you have Flash installed) going to enable you to upload several pics at once:

Posted Image

When you click on the latter, you get the following:

Posted Image

By now you know what to do here. I've shown mine here because I don't have Flash Player operating on IE, which is the browser I used for the previous pics.

Once you have a bunch of pics up there, the thumbnails of the left top of each pic will show with a range of options (the various icons you can see here) alongside. Putting your cursor on each will give you the details of what they all do, the main one is the blue 'i' at the top:

Posted Image

Clicking on the blue 'i' brings up this window:

Posted Image
By ray_bell at 2010-09-21

Again, I've marked a couple of options... pink is the full size pic, as you're getting here... green is the thumbnail as below:

Posted Image

...and the purple is an option to delete the promotional line for Imageshack which you see below the last pic.

You now need to place that in your post. As the string comes from imageshack, it includes all the necessary coding to raise the image in your post. You DO NOT have to make any other provision than to copy and paste to a fresh line in your post. When you click on the chosen selection, it's highlighted, then you right click and then click on 'copy'... and then paste it to that fresh line in your post:

Posted Image

The result, while you're making your post looks like this:

Posted Image

Take care to not damage the string after you've put it into your post. Your picture won't appear if anything is changed at all.

Edited by Ray Bell, 21 September 2010 - 11:29.

#213 donshut

donshut

• 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 22:18

My first post
I was trying to understand how to post images - so I appreciate you explaining it so perfectly.
For Mr Boor and the team - who I suppose were my teenage heroes. Mallory Park F5000 1973
I've probably posted this in the wrong place - I apologize.
donshut

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

About time we did a new Imageshack 'how to'... as Imageshack looks a bit different to what it did when I last ran through it here...

Starting with the first time you put a pic up on Imageshack, which means prior to registering there, just starting out as a fresh-faced amateur... here we go:

The page http://imageshack.us opens thus:

Posted Image

You click on the upload option 'image/video' and then click on 'Browse', select the pic you intend uploading:

Posted Image

You have the option here of putting in your e.mail address, this will register you as an Imageshack user (preferred, but not totally necessary). If you have a pic that's too large (approximately 750 pixels wide is both plenty for most pictures and not going to draw complaints about being too large), you can resize the pic as you upload it:

Posted Image

Then click on 'Upload' and let Imageshack do its thing. When it has you will have the option to select a link for a forum, for an e.mail to a friend, or a thumbnail for either. The pink marking is for a full size pic to pop up within your post, the green is for a thumbnail that will require the reader to click on it to get the full size pic.

Posted Image

Notice also that your registration as an Imageshack user is able to be expanded with a username to the right? Good idea in most cases, your pics then don't disappear after a year of not being accessed... they're permanent as long as Imageshack remains viable. So you fill it in:

Posted Image

Imageshack e.mail you a registration link so you can retain that in your e.mail files for future reference.

Once registered, you have a new appearance for Imageshack... and eventually you'll have all your images racked up to the left of the screen while on the right you get a bunch of options:

Posted Image

Again, highlighted are the two main ones. The green highlight is when you want to just upload one pic at a time... and the pink is (provided you have Flash installed) going to enable you to upload several pics at once:

Posted Image

When you click on the latter, you get the following:

Posted Image

By now you know what to do here. I've shown mine here because I don't have Flash Player operating on IE, which is the browser I used for the previous pics.

Once you have a bunch of pics up there, the thumbnails of the left top of each pic will show with a range of options (the various icons you can see here) alongside. Putting your cursor on each will give you the details of what they all do, the main one is the blue 'i' at the top:

Posted Image

Clicking on the blue 'i' brings up this window:

Posted Image
By ray_bell at 2010-09-21

Again, I've marked a couple of options... pink is the full size pic, as you're getting here... green is the thumbnail as below:

Posted Image

...and the purple is an option to delete the promotional line for Imageshack which you see below the last pic.

You now need to place that in your post. As the string comes from imageshack, it includes all the necessary coding to raise the image in your post. You DO NOT have to make any other provision than to copy and paste to a fresh line in your post. When you click on the chosen selection, it's highlighted, then you right click and then click on 'copy'... and then paste it to that fresh line in your post:

Posted Image

The result, while you're making your post looks like this:

Posted Image

Take care to not damage the string after you've put it into your post. Your picture won't appear if anything is changed at all.

#214 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:05

Test:
http://img153.images...kinshawbh78.jpg

#215 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:06

Test 2:
Posted Image

#216 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:59

I haven't used Imageshack for a while and today discovered they've changed their layout. It took weeks of errors to get the hang of it last time. How - put it simply please! - can I post a picture here. I don't want a thumbnail (too small), and I don't want a link. Just a simple pic. The list of options is baffling and invariably I choose the wrong one.

#217 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:11

This might help, possibly - posted recently by Terry Walker in the 'Australian photos' thread:

It's dead easy -

When you get to this stage:

Posted Image

Don't try to highlight by wiping the cursor across the line. LEFT button click with the cursor ANYWHERE on the line, and the whole line will automatically highlight blue:

Posted Image

Then without moving the mouse RIGHT button click on the Blue Text Line and this little menu will pop up:

Posted Image

Then LEFT click on word COPY and bob's your auntie. Paste it into the post as per usual. (I delete out the Image Shack credit line to save space.)

The result is a neat left alignment.

Posted Image

#218 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 15:36

Uploading is also much easier if you use the ImageShack toolbar - unlike a lot of toolbars it doesn't seem to cause browser conflicts or glitches.

#219 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 582 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 18:07

Posted Image[/url][/img]

Advertisement

#220 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 00:28

I had laboured image-less for almost 2 years, having tried unsuccessfully a number of times to post images via ImageShack, PostImage and probably others.

I was sure it couldn't be all that hard, and that I couldn't be that stupid, so a month or 2 ago I once again laboured through Image Shack's procedures , and once again no image appeared, so, in desperation, I tried PostImage again. To my astonishment it worked! Not once, but again and again (like the girl on the train!). Since then I have been able to bore you with some of my 50's 60's and later pictures from New Zealand.

To me, the PostImage format seems simpler than Image Shack, so I will stick with it for now.
Also, use of the "Preview Post" tab allows you to be privately embarrassed at your own mishaps, without the whole TNF knowing, and the Edit facility is also useful.

Stu Buchanan

#221 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:39

Just tried Postimage...

Posted Image
free image hosting

I agree, it is simple, though it might point out where you were going wrong with Imageshack.

With Postimage, you simply put the cursor over the 'hotlink for forums' line and it's ready to copy, while Imageshack requires you to left click before you right click and copy.

Is this, perhaps, the case?

I didn't look any further, can you store images there permanently?

#222 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:48

Just tried Postimage...

I agree, it is simple, though it might point out where you were going wrong with Imageshack.

With Postimage, you simply put the cursor over the 'hotlink for forums' line and it's ready to copy, while Imageshack requires you to left click before you right click and copy.

Is this, perhaps, the case?

I didn't look any further, can you store images there permanently?

I can't find it immediately on the site, but I recall that casually posted images stayed for 12 months, and if you became a logged-in member, images remained there permanently and could be sorted into albums/galleries as in Flickr, Picasa and others.

That reminds me that I also tried posting from Picasa without success, maybe my cut-and-paste technique wasn't good enough at that time. One useful thing with Picasa was that I could scroll through my entire picture library (off line) without continually jumping in and out of folders. Useful (for all who aren't a D.McKinney) if looking for a lost picture which you can see in your mind's eye but don't know what you called it.

#223 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:19

I assure you, you still have to do something like that sometimes if you are D McKinney :lol:

#224 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:09

I assure you, you still have to do something like that sometimes if you are D McKinney :lol:

Be that as it may, the processes seem to be executed quite speedily, especially for one of your vintage.

#225 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 14:00

Reading your later post, Stu, I was prompted to check something out with Postimage...

They change the filename for your picture!

"So what?" you might say, "What's the matter with that?"

Well, down the track when the picture disappears and you want to put it back up, you can't go back and look at your post to find the filename that will enable you to readily locate it. This also happens with Tinypic.

#226 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:23

Reading your later post, Stu, I was prompted to check something out with Postimage...

They change the filename for your picture!

"So what?" you might say, "What's the matter with that?"

Well, down the track when the picture disappears and you want to put it back up, you can't go back and look at your post to find the filename that will enable you to readily locate it. This also happens with Tinypic.

I checked through a number of the pictures I had posted (via PostImage) and couldn't see any changes of file names. But maybe we are not speaking quite the same language?

A brief further look at Postimage site suggests that pictures stay there permanently, but I will investigate more.

A slight problem last night with PostImage led me to wonder if Image Shack problem was due to my ISP and slow speed of my dial-up connection. (This would be consistent with another occasional message on Google screen.)

When trying to upload a picture, I received the message "Internal Error. Cannot Add Image To Database" which was effectively what Image Shack told me. All was OK today when I tried PostImage again.

Solution for me appears to be the long-delayed decision to upgrade to broadband service. I will ring ISP tomorrow.

Stu Buchanan

Edited by wenoopy, 28 February 2011 - 10:24.

#227 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:57

Solution for me appears to be the long-delayed decision to upgrade to broadband service. I will ring ISP tomorrow.
Stu Buchanan

You won't regret it ;)

#228 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:05

Just a word of warning for anybody who uses the ImageShack Toolbar with Firefox.

Imageshack Toolbar is at present not compatible with the the new version of Firefox, FF4, which ships from 7am Pacific Time (2pm GMT) on Tuesday. I've been using the FF4 Release Candidate for a few days now: the toolbar has partial functionality, so shouldn't take long to fix, but as it's a third-party add-on, I assume ImageShack are waiting for the final release before tweaking it. So, when you download FF4, don't be surprised when it says the toolbar is incompatible. There is an alternative available in the mean time: an old extension called "Imageshack right click" has been updated to work with FF4.

Please note that this does not affect ImageShack Uploader!

#229 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 42 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 21:33

Posted Image

Testing, been a long time since I added a photo.

#230 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 20:37

Posted Image

Testing, been a long time since I added a photo.

Des, I just went through this a few days ago.

You want to:
1) copy the "Direct" link from Image Shack
2) open this Forum and click "Reply" to whatever post you're replying to
3) click the "Insert Image" button (4th from the right) on the Reply text page
4) paste the Direct link into the "Please enter the URL for this image" box

#231 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:57

You want to:

Thanks for that, It worked ok in the end and I posted it on the transporters thread.

Cheers,
Des

#232 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:26

Originally posted by E1pix

You want to:

Two things wrong with that...

First, you make no allowance for typing in some kind of message.

Second, you ignore the provision for the much simpler option of copying and pasting 'Hotlink for forums (1)' from imageshack. This saves you a step or two.

#233 Alan104

Alan104

• 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 19:54

Hi.
newby here trying to post a photos via imageshack but keep getting this no go message

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to

followed all ( I think) the how to post images but above comes up every time

can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong

Alan

#234 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 20:19

Not sure, Alan, but just to check:

You uploaded your photo into Imageshack, then copied the link called 'Forum Code', pasted it into your post on this forum, and then tried to submit your post. Was it then that you got the error message?

#235 Alan104

Alan104

• 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:37

Not sure, Alan, but just to check:

You uploaded your photo into Imageshack, then copied the link called 'Forum Code', pasted it into your post on this forum, and then tried to submit your post. Was it then that you got the error message?

Hi
Yes its all seems ok on Imageshack but when I post the fourm link I get that message

going to give it another go right now,

#236 Alan104

Alan104

• 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:49

Hi
Yes its all seems ok on Imageshack but when I post the fourm link I get that message

going to give it another go right now,

I think I have cracked it... was copying two sets of brackets at the end of each line... post now succesfull

#237 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:56

:up: :up:

#238 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 21:51

I have tried reading my way through this thread, but I can not see an answer to my own problems with posting images on the site. As always apologies if I am re-inventing the wheel, but ...

I use picasa to store and display my photos, I can copy a watcha m'callit from the site ready to paste as required, and this works on BHP, however, when I click on the 'image' icon it opens a box on the top left of my screen neatly covering the 'paste' instruction in the menu. I can not move this, so can not paste the link into the box, and I damned if I am going to try typing it in. Anybody else have this problem I can't believe it is due to the picasa site, it must be something on my computer running Windows 7.

Usual disclaimers as to literacy, competence, nerdiness etc.

bauble the baffled.

#239 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:12

Have you tried using the keyboard version:

Ctrl-X = Cut
Ctrl-C = Copy
Ctrl-V = Paste

Edited by Tim Murray, 15 May 2011 - 22:12.

Advertisement

#240 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:34

Have you tried using the keyboard version:

Ctrl-X = Cut
Ctrl-C = Copy
Ctrl-V = Paste

Point 1; No

Point 2, ???

Point 3 Where is the question mark?

#241 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:05

Intersting to note that you can upload a photo for your avatar straight from your computer without recourse to a host site. I wonder why the technology doesn't extend to the posting of photos on threads. I am sure there will be some simple technical reason that currently escapes me.

#242 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,802 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 13:24

It's a matter of storage.

Avatars are tiny little files ~ your is 2.1kb. People may try to upload > 20mb files straight from their camera. Also once uploaded, there could be ownership issues.

#243 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:09

Originally posted by Bauble
.....I use picasa to store and display my photos, I can copy a watcha m'callit from the site ready to paste as required, and this works on BHP, however, when I click on the 'image' icon it opens a box on the top left of my screen neatly covering the 'paste' instruction in the menu. I can not move this, so can not paste the link into the box, and I damned if I am going to try typing it in. Anybody else have this problem I can't believe it is due to the picasa site, it must be something on my computer running Windows 7.

Usual disclaimers as to literacy, competence, nerdiness etc.....

I'm not sure that I follow exactly what you're saying, but I'll bet that it could be cured by not having your windows open full screen!

I never work full screen with anything. When you have a window at partial screen, you can move it around if something's in the way... and to get to pa partial screen you simply click on the little square with the two boxes overlapping on the top right of your window. You can adjust the size of that window at will using your cursor.

I also suspect you might be using the 'insert image' icon when you post. I don't know about Picasa, but if they're anything like any of the other host sites they will provide you with the coding and all you need to do is copy and paste to a post.

Can someone who has Picasa post some helpful screen shots of the process, please?

#244 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 13:49

Please delete your TEST...

This thread is not for testing, you can do that by using the 'preview' option.

#245 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:42

Intersting to note that you can upload a photo for your avatar straight from your computer without recourse to a host site. I wonder why the technology doesn't extend to the posting of photos on threads. I am sure there will be some simple technical reason that currently escapes me.

I use another forum in another place where images are posted exactly as above. I just click on a box when composing the post, browse my computer for the file and the file is uploaded when I post. Limit is a bit over 1Mb but that is plenty, at least for black and whites.

Why can't we have something like this?

Edited by tsrwright, 05 October 2011 - 14:24.

#246 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:21

It's a matter of storage.

Avatars are tiny little files ~ your is 2.1kb. People may try to upload > 20mb files straight from their camera. Also once uploaded, there could be ownership issues.

This is apparently the answer to the query from tsrwright. I suspect that the size of the forum is the critical factor, and it is to the advantage of the forum operator to have the photo information stored on someone else's website.

#247 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 20:02

I'd hate to be using a forum where 1mb (even 500kb) images are posted...

They would take a long time to download, especially if I'm using mobile broadband, as I am now.

#248 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:54

Well, after spending a few day learning to scan and post to imageshack I need some help. I am using an apple Mac and have gotten the image link to the apple clipboard (that was hard) and I think I am almost ready to post but don't know what to do next. This cut and past stuff is all new to me and I thing most of the guidance here is PC oriented.
Thanks for any help.

#249 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:44

I, too, am a Mac user

I always put the image on the desktop, which makes it easier to access once you're in image shack. Once you've downloaded it to IS, simply click on the option (on the lefthand side of the page) for 'forums', and cut and paste the url into the TNF post

#250 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 17:22

I, too, am a Mac user

I always put the image on the desktop, which makes it easier to access once you're in image shack. Once you've downloaded it to IS, simply click on the option (on the lefthand side of the page) for 'forums', and cut and paste the url into the TNF post

Thanks. I will get this computer thing eventually. Cheers