Photo

Track featured in 'On The Beach' ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 14:59

In my other guise of television transmission controller (eek!), the other week I transmitted a film called 'On The Beach' featuring the lovely Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck. In it was featured a sportscar race (if you could call it that, it was more like a demolition derby to these eyes). It featured MG's, Jaguar D-types, Porshces etc. What I'd like to know is, what circuit was that sequence filmed at?? My guess is Bridgehampton, but I'm probably wrong???

Advertisement

#2 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 15:03

They used two different tracks to film it, they used a track in the USA but I am not sure which one (I can look it up if needed) and they used Philip Island in Australia. The bits with the cars crashing were shot in the USA and the bits with close ups and not crashing were shot at the Island.

#3 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,651 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 15:10

Gary, strangely enough, I was searching the BB for something else last night and came across this thread... http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=63364 which may help you if you go beyond the first few posts.

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 15:41

They used Riverside and kept a few well-known West Coast drivers gainfully employed for the duration of the shooting.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 16:44

Just had a look in 'Halliwell's, - it was made in 1959, 134 mins B&W United Artists directed by Stanley Kramer from a sci-fi novel by Nevil Shute also starred Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins a film about nothing less than the end of the world.

BTW Gary , which channel do you control ?

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 18:24

when I work at Sky TV I control something like EIGHT different channels at once! Could be half the Sky Movies platform or a mixture of stuff like Performance, National Geographic, History Channel, Biography Channel, Sky Travel, etc., etc. It's horrible stuff!! It only livens up when they schedule that Clive James in Las Vegas (1982??) programme, centered around the Ceasars Palace Grand Prix.

#7 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 18:31

H E R E and

H E R E II

#8 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 18:59

Gary: That sounds incredibly difficult, I hate to think what happens if something goes wrong, sounds like trying to keep 8 plates spinning on sticks at once - whatever they are paying you - its not enough!

We recently heard that later this year , there will be a whole new freeview deal from sky, - you will buy outright a minidish + box at full price , about £150 then thereafter at no cost at all you will be able to receive 130 english language digital channels, though not the premium movies, football, special events etc , which presumably will remain monthly subscription, and pay per view as well , as now .

130 sounds an awful lot , do you on the inside, , or does anyone yet know what channels these will be , and what will be of interest motoring/motorsport wise.

Any chance of getting "Speed King" on - Malcolm Campbell story with Robert Hardy it was on TV about 20 + years ago its something I don't have on tape , - actually don't put it on 'till the free sevice starts , I don't have sky............ be quite handy if you could do requests !

Do you know when this new service starts ?

#9 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 20:57

The "HERE" page from post #7, above, has moved to
HERE FOR SURE

#10 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 22:34

While I have read the book I have never seen the movie. But it seems that part is actually covering the book faithfully. It was the one part of the book that was really over the top. The last Australian GP days before radiation sickness from a Northern Hemisphere Nuclear war hit the last bastion of civilisation,,,, Melbourne!
I thought the book was wrtten about 59 or 60.