Photo

Brooklands: Ingrid Tarrant's father

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 13:44

There is an inconsequential little series on British TV (ITV ) at the moment called ‘Tarrant’s Way’ in which TV presenters Chris and wife Ingrid Tarrant drive to various places using a 50 year old AA Handbook. It is pretty mundane stuff except that Ingrid does all the driving, in a 1938 Bentley (see http://motoring.tele...t13.xml&site=14 for more background and a nice piccy of the car).

In the first programme, they visited Brooklands, going into the museum and even driving on the banking. Ingrid made a big thing about her father racing there. She does seem to be a bit of a petrol-head, even getting under the car at one point to do some running repairs to a split fuel-line.

Now I thought she was Norwegian, although the article linked above says half-Norwegian - so who was her father? Surely there weren’t many Norwegians racing at Brooklands. Or maybe the Norwegian is on her mother’s side? Does anyone know any more about her background?

Advertisement

#2 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 13:57

She inherited the rare 1938 Bentley Drop head (only three of its kind known to still exist in the world) from her father and went on to have lessons in mechanics and attended lectures on maintaining old Bentleys. She then went on to start a company called 'Bentley, Bows and Belles', hiring her car out for weddings and other special occasions.

Her maiden name was Ingrid Dupree, which tells you the name of her father!

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 16:22

It's a delightful little programme Ingrid and the Bentley are real stars, Chris appears to spend his time in the car sleeping between pubs,

The trouble is 1/2 hr ( well when you take out the top/tail/&middle adverts out it's really 20 mins at most) just isn't long enough to cover all the stops in enough detail, it could easily sustain an hour.

Good TV, I hope it comes back for a second series. Next week is London to Brighton using a 50 yr old AA route guide and only the roads in existance in the early 1950's.

I think it's only on in the London area, - for once , well done ITV , Mr & Mrs Tarrant, and the lovely old Bentley tourer.

#4 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 16:44

Wondered how I missed this.If it is only London ITV that would explain it. As I have Sky Digital I can still get it here,but of course it is not listed in the Sky EPG or Radio Times or local or national papers here. Would someone tell me what time it is showing?

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 16:54

7.30 pm. ITV 1 Thursday evenings London Region output well worth watching.

#6 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 17:02

Originally posted by RTH
7.30 pm. ITV 1 Thursday evenings London Region output well worth watching.

Thanks,RTH. Yorkshire ITV was showing 'Headline Crimes-the hunt for arsonist Bruce Peter Lee' !!

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:29

Originally posted by Nordic
Her maiden name was Ingrid Dupree, which tells you the name of her father!

Thanks for that! So, unless he was from the Oslo branch of the Duprees, he was presumably not Norwegian. So can any of the Brooklands history buffs tell us anything of Dupree's exploits?

#8 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:07

Nearest I can find in the index of the History of Brooklands is Clive & Jack Dunfee. No Duprees

#9 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 23:33

FH Dupre (no second "e" won the MCC Members 2 lap handicap on September 8, 1934 on a Rover.

No further details, I'm afraid. The meeting barely raised a side-bar in The Autocar.

No idea at all if he's our man.