South African Driver Kipp Ackermann

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thilo F

Thilo F

• 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:34

Who was he?
Ackermann appears in the entry lists in 1968 with a Lotus 51 in the Rhodesian GP. Followed by a whole 1969 season in the South African championship with this car. Usually he was a couple of laps down on the winners (Love, Tingle, McNicol, van Rooyen) but he did score two points in the last race of the '69 SA season, being the fifth and last car running at the finish. (Rand Spring Trophy, Kylamai, Oct 4, 1969, winner John Love). He did one more race with the Lotus 51 in 1970 before changing to a McLaren-Chevrolet M10B, a F-5000 car.

Now, the Lotus 51 is a Formula Ford 1600. It was not unusual in SA to see smaller capacity formulae like F-Junior competing in F1 races. But a Formula Ford chassis tops it all, I believe.

The information I was able to collect so far is that Kipp Ackermann was given the start # 22 in the 69 season. His chassis in entry lists was given: "F1A/FF/44". This # would correspond with the usual Lotus nomenclatura within the batches of Lotus 51 FFs which read: model/FF/consecutive no. Usually the model is a "51A, B, or C". The designation "F1A" indicates that the chassis was ordered from Lotus Components with the intention to run in F1.

A number "___/FF/44" is not listed in the LFFR, the Lotus Formula Ford Register, although it could be believed that the car was "downgraded" and run in FF after its F1 life.

Kipp is probably a SA nickname, but he went under this name in races. There is another driver in SA at about the same time, Boet Ackermann, who competed in FF races. I found him with a Lotus 61 in one or two lists.

Since I own a Lotus 51, I am very interested in the history of the car and all the different stories that come with it. I find so many knowledgeable here on TNF, maybe someone can provide me with more info on the 51 as a F1 (or F2?) car, like photos, details, what engine was used, what became of the chassis, and so on.

More info on Lotus 51: http://www.grandprix...rmula_Ford2.htm
More on the SA 69 season: http://www.grandprix...championshi.htm

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:17

I unfortunately do not have much on Kipp Ackerman. He was given as G.S. Ackerman, so your guess is as good as mine what the "G" stands for. The only chap that can perhaps supply you with details about Kipp and the Lotus 51, is my compatriot on this forum, ry6.

Boet Ackermann? Not heard of him before, then again, every second South African was almost known as "boet" in those days. Just an affectionate nickname, meaning "brother".

Have a profile pic of Kipp, but I guess this is not what you are looking for.

#3 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:07

Kip Ackermann also ran a F5000 McLaren M10B in the SA FI/F5000 seties in the mid-seventies.

#4 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:09

...which I now see was mentioned in the first posting. (Note to self: must read first before posting reply... :blush: )

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:48

I bet he was really good at setting up steering geometry.... :cat:

#6 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 13:13

Originally posted by Thilo F
But a Formula Ford chassis tops it all, I believe.

Brausch Niemann in his Lotus 7?;)

http://www.lotus7reg...uk/springbk.htm
http://www.lotus7reg...ges/kzn1962.jpg

(also documented in most good books on the sixties!)

As the Lotus 7 Register site says:

"Non-starters included eight Coopers, a BRM, the Assegai, the Netuar, one LDS, four Lotus 18's and two Lotus 20's"

A bit special?;)

#7 Thilo F

Thilo F

• 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 14:19

Very special, I agree. All these Specials are.
Sevens are quick, a good deal quicker than FFs. You can see that in the historic events.
Brausch Niemann changed a lot on his car, the chassis itself to begin with, rear axle, brakes, bore, camshaft, carbs, and, and, and. To compete with F1s in the 1.5 litre class. At least in capacity he was on equal terms in 1962. A 109E block was the normal thing to use, it was standard in F-Junior then.

In 1969, Ackermann took his challange in a different world, in the 3 litre era. A Lotus 51 is basically the same in chassis dimensions and design as was the Lotus 22 of 1962, a fragile tubing, a toy compared with even a Seven. And you can't just hang a 3 litre monster in there. There is not enough space and if, it would tear the thing into pieces.
This is what I am curious about. What exactly did Ackermann use in the 51? An FVA as used in F2 in those days would be my best guess.

1969 lap times in Kyalami (Jackie Stewart 1:21.6; John Love 1:22.5) were about 14s faster than Jim Clarks 1:35 in the 1962 "Brausch Niemann race". He did 1:44.5 in qualify (last on grid, not as "easily qualified" as the Lotus Seven web page reckons.) Bob van Niekerks F-Junior Lotus 22 was 3 s faster, 1:41.6. This would be the car to compare with the 51 of Ackermann. Niekerk finished 6 laps down on Niemann, this indicates not running. Niemann himself (running) was four laps down on winner Clark.

Ackermann, when he finished Kyalami running, also used to be four laps down on Love or whoever won the races then. This indicates that he must have been in the mid 1:30ies with his car, or, in other words, as quick as Clark was back in 1962. Quite an achievment.

#8 Trevor Ackermann

Trevor Ackermann

• 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 18:25

Hi Guys

By accident l stumbled on this site actualy looking for something els. Kipp Ackermann was my fathers uncle. Boet Ackermann is my father. I'll get more info on the car as he has still got photos as his uncle rebuild most of the car. Currently Peter Lindenberg is restoringthe car as l understand. The car will be displayed as part of the racing museum in SA. As soon as l have more info l'll let you know

#9 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 22:40

Welcome Trevor

I'd be very interested to know Kipp's given name. Was Kipp a nickname?

Allen

#10 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:24

I am away from home and my records but I remember Kipp in both the 51 and the McLaren F5000.

His cars were always immaculately turned out, He was also (by appearance) quite a bit older than the other drivers of the era. Now, while Doug Serrurier, John Love and Sam Tingle were "the older guard" they had been racing for many years beforehand and Kipp was a relative newcomer.

To get into something like a F5000 with relatively little experience must have been something else!

When Kipp took on the F5000 he passed his 51 over to a friend or "team mate" and I think this fellows name was Boet.

#11 Trevor Ackermann

Trevor Ackermann

• 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:52

Hi

Spoke to my dad this morning. G.S Ackermann stands for Gerhardus Stephanus Ackermann the name Kipp was first pronounced Kiep as used in Afrikaans to call chickens. He ten got the nick Kiep. As he grew older my family decided that Kiep was bit degrading and it became Kipp. And thats how that nickname came to light. Trying to accertain full birth details for you. I know they all grew up on a small mine town and later moved to Primrose Germiston in the old Transvaal. Where he and my grandfather had a transport company together. I know there was some arguement in the family and they split up. Both my Grandfather and Kipp has passed away. I can't remember much of either of them as l was still very you. I know Kipp's wives name is Mattie and she is still alive. Their daughter stays close to me l just need to trace her

As far as l can assertain by speaking to my dad the 51 was bought by Kipp from Jody Schectar and then modified to race Kipp drove it for one season where my Grandfather his brother bought the car for my dad. They rebuild the car as the 2 lt was fased out and he build in a Cortina 1600 into the car with the cosworth head being bored to 1800. As the running cost of the original motor was getting to expensive. I believe the car averaged 1.28 sec on Kaylami but it could not go faster well according to Kipp. I think Love took it out on the track and did close to 1.21 sec / lap. But Kipp could not make it work for him

The motor made the car heavy and there was approximately 10 sec loss on a lap. My dad sold the car to someone who we not sure of who at the time. The car was totally modified and it was used in Drag Racing for public shows not majorly for racing. A third person bought the car and it was never raced again. The car has now been bought by Peter Lindenberg and being restored by Jimmy Price in Cape Town to its original state for display.

I have a photo of the car will scan it and email it to you. Also l am trying to get hold of my cousin Braam Smith who raced Formula Fords. I know his dad Alwyn Smith could tell me alot but he had a store about 3 months ago and has memory loss. Braam is as fa l know the CEO of Team Ascari in the UK somewhere. I'll compile as much as l can get for you and email it to you. What do you have on file of the Ackermann tree.

My dad left car racing and ventured into Powerboat racing and excelled well there.