TOSCHI Ferrari Ascari's F500

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 22:24

Hi,

Here are some questions for the Ferrari toy collectors. What year was the large Toschi toy Ferrari F500 first made? Was "Toschi" the name of the company that made the toy? How many different configurations of this toy were made?

Did a company called Marchesini, in Italy, make a second series of this "Toschi" Ferrari toy, using the original molds and tooling? When were they made and how many were made? What did the second series cost, and does it compare in value to the first toys?

Thanks,

Peter

Advertisement

#2 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 23:13

Not sure of the eaxct year, but it was around 1954. I do not know of a "second series" I think the name Tosch has to do with the bottle of cherry barndy that was originally in the car.

There was a second large scale Ferrari with Toschi liquor soaked cherries. I believe the car was the 1977 F1 car.

I think Dave Seibert imported some of the 1977 Ferraris without the liquored cherries

#3 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 00:19

Hi Stu,

I think you're correct about the "first series" Toschi Ferrari of 1954. However, it appears there was a "second series" of these large toys. Supposedly they were made by "Marchesini" in Italy, using the original molds and tooling. Does anyone know anything more about either series of the Toschi Ferrari F500?

Peter

#4 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:21

The Marchesini car is a completely different animal, is slightly smaller and is pressed tin, not cast aluminum. It is also a model of the 1949 4.5-liter Ferrari F1, but is a bit cartoonish so could pass from a distance for the "Toschi" car.

The "Toschi" 1952 Ferrari was manufactured from 1954 by the MLB company until the late 1960's and never re-issued as far as I now. MLB of course issued the 1977 Ferrari F1 but made of plastic (beuark).

Both toys are illustrated in both Paolo Rampini and Marco Bossi's books. Used to have them, sold them because they take too much space...
Regards,

T54 :)

#5 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:17

The Toschi Ferrari model was issued in 1953. There are two photos of it in the Ferrari 1953 Annual, when the model is awarded to Franco Cornacchia, winner of the Intereuropa Cup at Monza.

#6 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 15:20

My info came from marco Bossi's book where he says "1954". So 1953 it is, since photographic dated proof is at hand. Thanks Aldo! :)

Posted Image

#7 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 22:40

Thanks for the info.

Were all the Toschi Ferrari F500 cars made to hold the liqueur bottle, or were there other configurations, such as a motor?

I've read an article that mentions a 1/8 scale Toschi Ferrari F500 made in aluminum from the original "Toschi" molds by Marchesini. This was supposedly made in the early 1980's. I've emailed several sources but no one seems to know much, that's why I've turned to the TNF experts.

Regards,

Peter

#8 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 23:40

Inside the Toschi Ferrari was a small cardboard box containing two hook like apparatus and a large rubber band...kind of like the drive arrangement for a model airpalne.

#9 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:53

Are these the models in question?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:32

That's it. It is missing the foldable windshield.

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:05

Talking about re-issues. When I was in Maranello last year and passed all the shops and of course Cavallino, it struck me how many Toschi and/or Marchesini models were for sale or on show. I always thought it was such a rare model certainly compared to the 312 T2 model (having seen the Ferrari 312 T2 as a kid in a liquor shop with the bottles inside in person).
Last year I did get a thought of seeing a re-issued model or is there a lookalike around?

#12 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:10

Talking about re-issues. When I was in Maranello last year and passed all the shops and of course Cavallino, it struck me how many Toschi and/or Marchesini models were for sale or on show. I always thought it was such a rare model certainly compared to the 312 T2 model (having seen the Ferrari 312 T2 as a kid in a liquor shop with the bottles inside in person).
Last year I did get a thought of seeing a re-issued model or is there a lookalike around?

#13 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 14:17

They produced thousands and many have survived because it is such a big toy. So even if you have seen a dozen for sale in specialized shops, it is pretty normal.
A few years back, people were fighting over the 1967-issued COX Chaparral 2E slot car with the moving wing. "Very rare" or "Extremely rare" were the words in the E-Pay adverts.
My records from the company show a total of 265000 built and sold. Since the body is made of a virtually undestructable plastic (polypropylene), a very large number has survived. Even if you take an arbitrary number of 10%, that would be 26500 survivors. So every collector on the planet would have at least one of the beasts, and indeed, most do... Demand and supply DO meet, but the prices are still high.

Posted Image

They are common enough that we actually have a restoration service for them !

So considering raw numbers and estimated survival rate, I would not be surprised to learn that may be 2000 Ferrari by MLB have indeed survived. I had a total of 4 of them at one time...

T54

#14 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 23:47

Originally posted by dretceterini
Inside the Toschi Ferrari was a small cardboard box containing two hook like apparatus and a large rubber band...kind of like the drive arrangement for a model airpalne.

Thanks Stu,

The one I've seen does indeed have the rubber band motor. The front mounted crank winds the rubber bands and the drive is to one rear wheel via a metal bevel gear "differential". Pretty neat.

The casting on the Toschi Ferrari F500 is not smooth as on many other models and toys; I wonder why?

Peter

#15 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 20:16

I think it might actually be sand cast, hence why the casting is a bit rough

#16 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:06

Stu,
the car is ABSOLUTELY a thinwall die-cast model. If it had been a sand-cast model, it would weigh about 4 times as much and be the roughest toy you would have ever see...

#17 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 15:12

What other cars did Toschi do? That Ferrari wheels look familiar to me ( might I have a yellow Ferrari by them?) and I'm going to put my old scale model cars on display asap my broken toe is healed.

EDIT Nevermind, it's just a yellow Talbot-Lago in 1/32 with the same kind of wheels!
Just gave a big lecture to the kids: "Those aren't toys, they come from my grand-father, and if you touch them, you get grounded for 10 years." :D

#18 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 21:27

Originally posted by T54
Stu,
the car is ABSOLUTELY a thinwall die-cast model. If it had been a sand-cast model, it would weigh about 4 times as much and be the roughest toy you would have ever see...

Die-casting usually denotes a zinc alloy, but I suppose they can die-cast aluminum. If the 1950's Toschi Ferrari F500 model/toy is die-cast (and it IS a "thinwall" casting) then the die maker should have been taken out behind the barn and shot!

I once saw an ad for an Italian Army Carcano rifle. The seller claimed it had never been fired, and only dropped once. :lol: