Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
16973 replies to this topic

#3401 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 20:43

I don't know how this is made, Tony, but the last elephant pic represents an area that is smaller than one square inch. Do you think that some kind of photo-etching technique is used? I think this also takes us closer to how stamps are done, no? Nevertheless, there is some fantastic artwork on steel in bespoke rifles and shotguns, of many different styles and techniques. It's a craft that sadly is becoming less common, if it ever were. :cool:

I completely agree with your comment about 'fantastic artwork', DOHC, I have always admired the skill, the manual dexterity of those who produced steel engravings, litho plates and fine woodcuts. Mankind has not developed much over thousands of years, if at all, let alone one hundred. The skills demonstrated on so many types of artifact seem impossible now, in a time when people rely on technology, and no longer have the patience and determination to learn such skills. If they did, it's unlikely they would be paid a living wage for doing so!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 10 January 2010 - 20:44.

Advertisement

#3402 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 22:05

Cavara went a step further than any other cutaway artist, and just removed the whole body in this rendering !! ;)
Posted Image
BTW never knew he was a Ferrari staff man !

Edited by macoran, 10 January 2010 - 22:06.

#3403 RDV

RDV

• 6,765 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:08

And his 1996 7th place (Le Mans) Courage C36 Porsche
Posted Image

Great stuff macoran...I ran that car in 96...great memories....and thanks everybody for the ultimate thread....I wallow in it all the time! :love: :love: :love:

#3404 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:23

Hi Tony
Yes, it's the Tamiya 1/12 FW14B.
Is the up-grade kit you mentioned made by RB motion or Thunder Valley? Or is it something call Cody Garyland ?

I really can't help on this question, M, it was a long time ago and I wasn't taking a lot of notice, just putting it to the back of my mind for when I built my version, and then the years shot by...

Google must be your salvation.

#3405 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 15:41

Probably your Image Shack

It's in your e-mail by now

Thanks for e-mailing it to me. I might add that I found a web site in Japanese that after translating with Google seems to offer PDF files that you can download. I recognize some of the artist as Makoto Ouchi, Hideo Mizokawa, Hukuzyu (Jufuku) Takashi and others. The pdf files are sold for about 9 dollars US, but they only except payment through Japanese cards. Can you imagine that? In any case, I think I figured out how to buy them and might do it.I am a little tentative as I cannot tell what is actually in the pdf files. I assume that they contain the representative work displayed, but in what size etc. I wanted to let others know as they might have more experience and/or actually be able to read Japanese to decipher what is up.
http://www.proya.ne....g/jaaa/art.html

I found this the other day:
Posted Image

#3406 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 16:00

I've blundered through that Japanese site before - there's some lovely work on it. I found if you went to the index page you could click on 'works of art' and then click on 'next' or 'back' to cycle through all the pages of thumbnails. No links to bigger images though - I think...

http://nigensha.co.j...aa/jufuku2.html

#3407 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 16:41

Posted Image

I hope the tyre sidewalls aren't as thick as that, or the driver will lose all his fillings.

#3408 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 19:01

I hope the tyre sidewalls aren't as thick as that,

Makoto Ouchi seems to have a habit of rendering very thick tyre sidewalls

#3409 Manel Baró

Manel Baró

• 134 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 19:14

Makoto Ouchi seems to have a habit of rendering very thick tyre sidewalls

... and very ample based seats !

#3410 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 20:42

... and very ample based seats !

and, apart from the tyres, this seems to be a fade-away rather than a cutaway, rather confusing to look at

#3411 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 21:05

http://nigensha.co.j...aa/jufuku2.html

Good link !!! , I've been able to identify two drawings in my files as being by the hand of Takashi Jufuku.
Also like the sports car by Shinichi Tsunemi, in which he uses the so typical Robert Roux black floor tiles under the cars.

#3412 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 22:12

and, apart from the tyres, this seems to be a fade-away rather than a cutaway, rather confusing to look at

I agree, ghosting is not my favourite technique.

#3413 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:07

Going to throw out a couple of illustrations again, starting with an engine cutaway out of Car & Driver, June, 1962. This is a new (in 1962) aluminum production engine from Oldsmobile that got some attention as a small, lightweight powerplant for those new "downsized" cars out of Lansing. I find it interesting as one of the few full cutaways that I have of Ted Fornander. Fornander was generally doing the simple cutaways for the data panels on C&D Road Tests, not the most notable of the type.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3414 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:10

This is another illustration from a guy who didn't do a lot of them that I have seen. Signed as R.H. Hodge, this is a Lotus Elite that was published in Sports Car Illustrated, January, 1958.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3415 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:15

This is a Clarence LaTourette illustration that was put up here recently. I had it already scanned to try to pull it up, so figured I would follow through. This is the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante out of Sports Car Illustrated, February, 1961. Interesting that the name was used for the yacht of one of the Bond villains in one of the movies, want to say Thunderball ... or another one ...
Tom West

Posted Image

#3416 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:18

Out of the August, 1964 issue of Car & Driver, this is another Alfa from Clarence LaTourette. A bit simpler than many of his as far as the shading, this is the Guilia TZ sports coupe.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3417 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:21

This is out of February, 1956, Sports Car Illustrated, and Clarence LaTourette again. This is the Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce roadster.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3418 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:24

Going to end it with a couple of more of my own pieces out of drag racing history, starting with one of the real legends of the sport, Jim Libermann's Chevy II funny car from 1969. Best known as Jungle Jim, Jungle was probably one of the best symbols of the touring drag racer of the day, and was the closest to Peter Pan and a rock star that we had in the sport.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3419 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:26

Last one for this evening, this is Roland Leong's Hawaiian Dodge Charger from 1969. Arguably the strongest of the Chrysler drag racers of the day, Leong ran a string of beautiful blue cars under the Hawaiian name. This particular car has survived and has been toured on a nostalgia circuit in the US for these historic cars.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#3420 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:29

This is another illustration from a guy who didn't do a lot of them that I have seen. Signed as R.H. Hodge, this is a Lotus Elite that was published in Sports Car Illustrated, January, 1958.
Tom West

Posted Image

That's interesting, Tom. Well, they all are, but the Elite caught my eye. A simple car but a complicated construction, and I'm not sure Mr Hodge has shown how the body/chassis unit was made. I don't mean to criticise, the Elite was so different from normal in design and it may have been difficult to get the information, or to work out how it was constructed. I would need to compare it with Jim Allington's version. He did the workshop manual illustrations for the Elite, too, the job was completed just before I joined him. Then of course, he got an Elite in part-payment...

#3421 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:33

Thanks Tom, lots to look at there!

#3422 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:54

That's interesting, Tom. Well, they all are, but the Elite caught my eye. A simple car but a complicated construction, and I'm not sure Mr Hodge has shown how the body/chassis unit was made. I don't mean to criticise, the Elite was so different from normal in design and it may have been difficult to get the information, or to work out how it was constructed. I would need to compare it with Jim Allington's version. He did the workshop manual illustrations for the Elite, too, the job was completed just before I joined him. Then of course, he got an Elite in part-payment...

Getting the car as partial payment seems reasonable ...
Just thought I would pull this stuff as I went through the magazines. This was a bit different look than the Allington work, but then most others did look different when compared to his work.
Tom West

#3423 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:55

Thanks Tom, lots to look at there!

I have another 25 or so scanned, if not all prepped to send out. Getting there, but actually have a couple of projects that are being pushed through ... modelkit design, not cutaways, unfortunately.
Tom West

#3424 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:57

This is a Clarence LaTourette illustration that was put up here recently. I had it already scanned to try to pull it up, so figured I would follow through. This is the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante out of Sports Car Illustrated, February, 1961. Interesting that the name was used for the yacht of one of the Bond villains in one of the movies, want to say Thunderball ... or another one ...
Tom West

Thunderball is correct and again used in the last Sean Connery appearance; the unauthorized by the Broccoli family, Never Say Never Again. B²

#3425 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 16:30

Cavara went a step further than any other cutaway artist, and just removed the whole body in this rendering !! ;)
Posted Image
BTW never knew he was a Ferrari staff man !

Does that make it a leaveaway??? :blush:

#3426 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 17:06

Does that make it a leaveaway??? :blush:

Leave it out!

#3427 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 18:45

Leave it out!

Does seem like a drawing of a car without the body, so there is nothing to see through, tends to cross the line of my personal definition of a cutaway. If you aren't looking through to the inside, it really can't be counted as a cutaway, see-through, x-ray, phantom, or any of those ... just a nice chassis illustration in this case.
Just one person's view (looking into the guts of the matter ...)
Tom West

#3428 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 19:25

Not sure if this has been posted before - didn't see it on my way through.

Posted Image

Other than I think I found it on a French website, I don't know anything else about it.

regards, Warwick

#3429 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 21:07

Other than I think I found it on a French website, I don't know anything else about it.

regards, Warwick

It is, of course, an Amphicar - Warwick

#3430 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 22:56

Here's an Opel Manta 400 by Jim Bamber from 1982.

Posted Image

Warwick

#3431 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:19

Gentlemen, could I make a plea that images posted direct into this favourite thread of mine be limited to a maximum width of 800 pixels?
I'm becoming a trifle disoriented while trying to view some of them: I appreciate the detail on large images, but might they not be better done as clickable thumbnails? :wave:

#3432 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:29

But there is quite often great stuff to be found out there approximately 1.4m to the right of the main page screen.

#3433 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:32

But there is quite often great stuff to be found out there approximately 1.4m to the right of the main page screen.

Yes, I agree ... I really must dash out and purchase the latest 25:1 ratio super-wide screen monitor.
Or else get my eyeballs reconfigured :rotfl:

#3434 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:50

800 pixels ?

Is the crank handle and steam powered "show on full screen" button not working ? :)

Edited by macoran, 12 January 2010 - 23:55.

#3435 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:57

Yes, I agree ... I really must dash out and purchase the latest 25:1 ratio super-wide screen monitor.
Or else get my eyeballs reconfigured :rotfl:

I have found some great stuff out there lurking miles off to the right of my screen. Sometimes I can be gone for hours exploring said inter-dimensional cutaway ether.

#3436 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 23:58

800 pixels ?

Is the crank handle and steam powered "show on full screen" button not working ?

Where's that, Marc? For me, everything is OK bar Tom W's big cutaways, they do not fit my screen. If I change the zoom level to 75% they fit, but everything else, naturally, is too small.

PS Managed to get a copy of Motor Sport at Stansted Airport, the PC-26 article is OK, not earth-shattering, nice photos.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 13 January 2010 - 00:05.

#3437 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 00:14

Where's that, Marc? For me, everything is OK bar Tom W's big cutaways, they do not fit my screen. If I change the zoom level to 75% they fit, but everything else, naturally, is too small.

PS Managed to get a copy of Motor Sport at Stansted Airport, the PC-26 article is OK, not earth-shattering, nice photos.

That was a bit tongue in cheek of me.

I just right click / save to documents/ open file and view...zoom....

#3438 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 00:22

That was a bit tongue in cheek of me.

I just right click / save to documents/ open file and view...zoom....

Cheeky! Well, that works, but I can't be arsed to do that every time, I'll just have to keep scrolling to the right...

#3439 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 00:37

Cheeky! Well, that works, but I can't be arsed to do that every time, I'll just have to keep scrolling to the right...

Well I like to be able to zoom in for details

Advertisement

#3440 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 00:52

and a Lotus Super Seven

Posted Image

#3441 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:56

OK, you win. I will just put the link into the posts instead of the image. Of course, the Index was supposed to only show the ones that were posted, so I was trying to stick with that as a guideline so they could be found again.
Tom West

#3442 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:57

[quote name='Waka' date='Jan 13 2010, 13:52' post='4076595']
and a Lotus Super Seven

oops - seems I inadvertently deleted the wrong image on ImageShack.

Posted Image

Warwick

#3443 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:19

Lotus 7

Already posted, Waka, page 65!

#3444 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 19:37

Let's try this method of expression. You can pull the image to whatever level your heart desires ...
Don't think I put this up, but it is next on my list here, so I apologize if it is a duplicate.
The Allington Cooper Monaco as shown in Sports Car Graphic in May of 1959.
The image is still at Imageshack at about 2000 pixels for the max dimension.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3445 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 21:04

Much obliged: just what my heart desired: :kiss:

#3446 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 21:59

Tom West

Posted Image

Joining this Elite with one of James Allington's

Posted Image

I have another Elite by Allington scanned for us by Roger Lund, but I need to fettle it a bit.

Edited by macoran, 13 January 2010 - 22:01.

#3447 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:46

and a Lotus Super Seven

oops - seems I inadvertently deleted the wrong image on ImageShack.

Posted Image

Warwick

humble apologies - I did check the index on page 84 first, tho'

#3448 k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi

• 40 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:03

Whilst trying to find some other info the other day I checked my copy of Grand Prix Guide 74. Did not find what I was looking for but did come across a series of Cutaways by a G Piola of all that years (1973) F1 cars as well as some others in the sports car section including a Roux Matra MS 670, B Betti 3000 CSL and a Ferrari 312P. Odd that I have not noted Piola's name yet on the thread. Does anyone have any more of his work or know more about him?

Cheers
Lee

#3449 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:19

Whilst trying to find some other info the other day I checked my copy of Grand Prix Guide 74. Did not find what I was looking for but did come across a series of Cutaways by a G Piola of all that years (1973) F1 cars as well as some others in the sports car section including a Roux Matra MS 670, B Betti 3000 CSL and a Ferrari 312P. Odd that I have not noted Piola's name yet on the thread. Does anyone have any more of his work or know more about him?

Cheers
Lee

Giorgio Piola does the Tech Drawings for Autosport - All the sketches showing the changes to the cars from race to race. Been around for years.

http://www.formula1....009/1/8834.html

#3450 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:17

This was a bit different look than the Allington work, but then most others did look different when compared to his work.
Tom West

Of course Tom, and we all, if we are in the position to, try to make our work look different. In this case I was more concerned about technical accuracy, which is what it is all about in the end. The Elite was simple and elegant, but difficult to illustrate showing the construction of the body/chassis combination. It may be that the only really effective method was an exploded drawing, as Jim did for the Workshop Manual.

Thanks for the Cooper Monaco - another one that I don't remember ever seeing before.