Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
16978 replies to this topic

#8201 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:46

The next batch appears to be a group of Honda products coming up. Check because a couple of these Hondas are new to the board, just not sure which ...
Tom West

This will start with a Honda Accord from 1986.
Posted Image

This one is the 1981 Honda Accord.
Posted Image

This is the 1981 Honda Civic.
Posted Image

I will include the 1982 Pontiac Firebird in the set here.
Posted Image

Advertisement

#8202 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:53

Another set of the Terry Davey covers. I hope this better represents the illustrations that sort of made Haynes Manuals so unique, I thought.
Tom West

We will start with the much requested 1980 Renault 20 ... well, one anyway.
Posted Image

Followed by the similar Renault 30 from the same year.
Posted Image

This one is the 1978 Triumph Spitfire.
Posted Image

And we will move into the Shin Yoshikawa pieces, starting with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider.
Posted Image

And a final piece for this post, the lightweight Jaguar XK-E Hardtop Roadster.
Posted Image

#8203 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:59

The final group of resends will be all Shin Yoshikawa pieces.

The first is the Mercedes Benz 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe.
Posted Image

This is the 1997 Porsche 911 GT1 EVO.
Posted Image

This is the Porsche Boxster.
Posted Image

This is the Porsche Carrera Abarth.
Posted Image

And last, we have the Toyota Sports 800 Coupe.
Posted Image

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. Will try to watch more closely in the future.

#8204 Karabas

Karabas

• 112 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:15

The final group of resends will be all Shin Yoshikawa pieces.
Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. Will try to watch more closely in the future.

Thank you very much!!! :up: :up: :up:

#8205 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:25

Excuse me, here I am almost a complete profane. My range of interests centered mainly in aviation.
But I'm always happy to share here my humble findings in a related field. :)

Sorry. Not meant as criticism, just as clarification.
Your participation helps make this such a wonderful forum.
Thank you for sharing your collection. :up:

#8206 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:45

Prompted by marlondylan's recent post of a 250GT SWB, I have produced the attached selection of cutaways of 20 of my candidates for the finest cars ever. Possibly predictable and probably a sign of my vintage (again); also apologies for the strong European bias. If anyone can find a colour version of the 300SLR Uhlenhaut coupe, that really would be the icing on the cake for me.

It may be that the topic has been raised in the forum before, but what do others think? Malcolm

Posted Image

#8207 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:53

Posted Image

That's neat, Malcolm, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before! Good selection, too - Ooh, that Lightweight E-Type!

#8208 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:02

Here are a couple of humble offerings.

Hmmm... Back to my drawing board as I'm doing something wrong. I'll try again.

The Gutbrod coupe. There is a signature but I cannot read it. Can anyone else decipher it?
The radiator behind the engine probably assisted with heating the passenger compartment, whether you wanted warmth or not.
Posted Image

And the Honda Civic CVCC. I think this was a Honda marketing piece from the early 1980s. No mention of the artist.
Posted Image

Edited by JoeKane, 08 March 2011 - 22:10.

#8209 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:19

Prompted by marlondylan's recent post of a 250GT SWB, I have produced the attached selection of cutaways of 20 of my candidates for the finest cars ever. Possibly predictable and probably a sign of my vintage (again); also apologies for the strong European bias. If anyone can find a colour version of the 300SLR Uhlenhaut coupe, that really would be the icing on the cake for me.

It may be that the topic has been raised in the forum before, but what do others think? Malcolm

Posted Image

Malcolm,
I have to say that is really an amazing representation of automotive taste. Hard to argue with any of them even if someone might have made a few different choices. That is also much nicer than a list ... now we are all going to have to do our own versions of it, I suppose .. thanks for the extra damned work ...
Maybe we should hone in on subject matter, say top (obviously very personal opinion) Prototype racing, Top F1, Top Sports Cars, rather than overlapping, as will probably happen otherwise.
Top Commercial vehicles ... LSR cars ... lakes cars ... Closed circuit cars ...
Not sure there are 20 cutaways available in some classes, but there should be room for some fun there.
Top econo-boxes ... Worst cars ...
Color or B&W illustrations to be used ...
Hmm, wish you hadn't don't that Malcolm, old boy.
Tom West

#8210 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 54 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:51

Couln't get a thumbnail at imageshack for the 365 Berlinetta Boxer by Bruno Betti (too big?): http://img27.imagesh...linettabox.jpg/

Edited by marlondylan, 08 March 2011 - 22:52.

#8211 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:02

And number three is the Shin Yoshikawa illustration of the Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR. Someone asked about how they made the Porsche any quicker ... bet you won't have the same point to make here.
Tom West

Posted Image

I can't quite see what modifications Abarth could conceivably have made inorder that they should extract any extra hp out of the humble Fiat. And why would the artist draw the car with an added aesthetic flourish such that the boot 'be' raised in this peculiar manner. I'm lost on this modification!

;)

Great stuff, Tom!

#8212 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:05

Posted Image

:up: Pretty darn good, I would say.

#8213 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:37

Posted Image
Ferrari V12 250GT engine. By Vic Berris.

Edited by werks prototype, 08 March 2011 - 23:48.

#8214 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:40

Posted Image
Ferrari 365GT-BB.1973 By Dick Ellis

Posted Image
Ferrari 308 GT4 Engine. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Ferrari 308QV Engine. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Ferrari 308QV, Front suspension. Cross-section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Ferrari 308QV, Rear suspension. Cross-section. Not a cutaway.

#8215 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:42

Posted Image
Different version/racing No#2. 1978 Alpine-Renault A442. By E.T.A.I France.

Posted Image
Renault-Gordini 2-litre V6. By E.T.A.I France. B&W version of that posted previously by Marc.

Posted Image
Renault 14 Independent rear suspension. Two transverse torsion bars. By R.J.Way.

#8216 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:58

And why would the artist draw the car with an added aesthetic flourish such that the boot 'be' raised in this peculiar manner. I'm lost on this modification!

;)

Great stuff, Tom!

You missed the races in the 60's at Zandvoort/ Zolder / and the rest of the best European circuits for the 1000/ 1200 cc class ?
The Fiat Abarths and the NSU Prinzs with their rear lids open to get more cooling flow ?
Damn Mark you missed some good racing. I came over during summers just for that...

Mind you my 850 was shite box

Edited by macoran, 08 March 2011 - 23:59.

#8217 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 00:01

You missed the races in the 60's at Zandvoort/ Zolder / and the rest of the best European circuits for the 1000/ 1200 cc class ?
The Fiat Abarths and the NSU Prinzs with their rear lids open to get more cooling flow ?
Damn Mark you missed some good racing. I came over during summers just for that...

Ooh! That sounds good! (Actually the description of the cooling solution also sounds a little like an aero device) :up:

To tell you the truth, I think I have probably missed all the good racing, Marc. Born at the wrong time I think. :down:

:drunk:

Edited by werks prototype, 09 March 2011 - 00:17.

#8218 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:22

My first brand new car was a 1967 Fiat 850 Coupe. I added a bunch of Abarth upgrades as the dealer was probably the largest Abarth dealer on the East coast of the US. Wonderful little car that handled well enough to keep a young rascal like me alive through some truly stupid escapades. Woke up sliding sideways at 70 mph in the middle of the night on the shoulder of the then-new interstate 40 in New Mexico (40 replaced the iconic Route 66). Did have a quirk or two... I went through two transmission failures within three years time. My Dad and I aligned the rear wheels on the dirt in his backyard as the dealer was clueless about how to do it. I learned to carry a spare throttle cable as I could only shorten the original so many times when the carburetor end broke off every few hundred miles. Actually broke on the way to my wedding in 1970, but was no big deal by then, although it did flummox my bride a bit. :rolleyes:

Edited by JoeKane, 09 March 2011 - 02:43.

#8219 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:07

Some more airplane drawings from one of my yard-sale finds:-

Magazine: Scale Models Warplane Special (1982) Click link for copy on sale at Ebay
There's a host of very well-drawn 2-D layouts, but since this is a thread about cutaways, here's a list of the included cutaways (all are B&W and split across 2 pages unless stated):-

Fokker Triplane by A.L.Bentley
Sopwith Camel by A.L. Bentley
Handley-Page Heyford MkIII by Tony Barnes
RAF BE2C by Stephen M. Carter (Colour, 1 page, thumbnail below)
Hawker Sea-Fury by Peter Cooke (1 Page, thumbnail below)
General Dynamics F-16 by Jeremy Cave

The drawing by Stephen M. Carter is notable because it includes a credit to: "The School Of Tehnical Illustration, Bournemouth & Poole College Of Art & Design"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

If my posting of any of the above images upsets anyone, please let me know and I will delete them immediately.

Advertisement

#8220 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:17

Anyone with a penchant for Japanese aircraft could do well to check out the 'Maru Mechanic' series. I stumbled across them on Ebay and might get one out of curiosity. The illustrations shown on the item descriptions certainly look lavish.

Scroll towards the bottom of this listing to see what I mean!

Edited by IrishMariner, 09 March 2011 - 07:20.

#8221 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:16

"The School Of Tehnical Illustration, Bournemouth & Poole College Of Art & Design" - I gave a 'lecture' there once, probably 1989/90. Nice people.

#8222 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:08

Here are a couple of humble offerings.

Hmmm... Back to my drawing board as I'm doing something wrong. I'll try again.

The Gutbrod coupe. There is a signature but I cannot read it. Can anyone else decipher it?
The radiator behind the engine probably assisted with heating the passenger compartment, whether you wanted warmth or not.
Posted Image

Would you have a higher resolution scan, Joe? If I zoom in to get the signature up to a readable size, it is completely blurred.

#8223 salsheikh

salsheikh

• 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:39

hi, this thread is absolutely fantastic and the drawings are amazing.

please can someone post pics/drawings for a Seat Leon Cupra (MK1 2001-2005) model as I cant seem to locate any for this model at all.

Kindest regards and keep up the good work

#8224 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 15:09

Would you have a higher resolution scan, Joe? If I zoom in to get the signature up to a readable size, it is completely blurred.

Sorry NPP, this was a web find and is quite small. Perhaps a higher resolution copy will show up from someone else.

#8225 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:54

Can't place it at present but it's not a de Havilland Moth.
Could be a Blackburn of some sort as the fin/rudder shape is about right, but they used side-by-side seating.

I should have picked that up too! Definitely not a DH fin/rudder profile. I only glanced at it and assumed the caption was correct!

Definitely, Blackburn
Unfortunately, I will not say immediately that the model, but at the time of creation - somewhere between Blackburn Bluebird and Blackburn B2. I'm afraid to make a mistake, but it seems like earliest variant of Blackburn B2

Ok, thanks. I will update my entry according to your findings.

Posted Image
De Havilland Moth. By Artist unknown.

Thanks, it seems we are very definitely honing in on a Blackburn. Anything confirmed yet?

#8226 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 17:41

Some more airplane drawings from one of my yard-sale finds:-

Magazine: Scale Models Warplane Special (1982) Click link for copy on sale at Ebay
There's a host of very well-drawn 2-D layouts, but since this is a thread about cutaways, here's a list of the included cutaways (all are B&W and split across 2 pages unless stated):-

Fokker Triplane by A.L.Bentley
Sopwith Camel by A.L. Bentley
Handley-Page Heyford MkIII by Tony Barnes
RAF BE2C by Stephen M. Carter (Colour, 1 page, thumbnail below)
Hawker Sea-Fury by Peter Cooke (1 Page, thumbnail below)
General Dynamics F-16 by Jeremy Cave

The drawing by Stephen M. Carter is notable because it includes a credit to: "The School Of Tehnical Illustration, Bournemouth & Poole College Of Art & Design"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

If my posting of any of the above images upsets anyone, please let me know and I will delete them immediately.

Well, I am upset. You find this kind of stuff at yardsales. All I have ever seen is used baby clothes and rusty bikes and yard equipment. Where the hell do you find historic magazines at a yard sale? I put out about ten boxes of paperbacks, with complete collections of Ludlum, Michener and quite a few very notable authors. Everyone looked and said, "Books ..." Seemed rather obvious, and an unanswerable thought ... Never even had anyone so much as bend over to check.
And you are finding old aviation and aircraft magazines ...
Where are you located? Not that I am likely to go challenge your shopping area, but I am just curious.
Tom West

#8227 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 18:20

Well, I am upset. You find this kind of stuff at yardsales. All I have ever seen is used baby clothes and rusty bikes and yard equipment.
Tom West

Okay just one yard sale story...

It was late on Saturday afternoon when I stopped. I had already selected a couple items from the sale when I spied several large plastic totes filled with magazines and books. Turned out to be car stuff from the forties through the eighties. I poked around one box, selected a couple items and asked for a price.
The seller replied, "You're the only person who has looked at those all day. How about $20 for all of them? And I'll load them in your truck for you as well."
I only had to think for a second as the seven ten-gallon lidded plastic totes were worth more than that. The loading offer was a good one as those suckers were really heavy. Total was around seven hundred magazines and I don't even know how many books, but probably about thirty.
By the way this was in Tucson, Arizona, and no, you can't have his address!

So that's why I keep stopping at yard sales and poking through used baby clothes, etc... :D

Actually the same goes for stopping at old garages and barns. But those are car finding stories for another time...

#8228 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:08

Posted Image
Republic Aviation P-47D-10. By John Weal.

#8229 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:36

Well, I am upset. You find this kind of stuff at yardsales.
And you are finding old aviation and aircraft magazines ...
Where are you located? Not that I am likely to go challenge your shopping area, but I am just curious.
Tom West

Jet City! .....Seattle, WA. To be more specific, in Snohomish County. Home to a large aircraft manufacturer.

Another good source for me has been Goodwill and used-book stores.

To be honest, most of my 'finds' posted here were a single purchase about 3 yrs ago. I wanted just two books (Boeing & Lockheed Cutaway collections) but the seller made a good deal for the box of old modelling books and magazines that, to my shame, I stashed away and didn't look into until now (temporary unemployment gives me the time to do so). The seller was a bit of a weirdo, but he was a recently-retired Boeing mechanic who was moving to California and was selling-up some of his stuff. He showed me a B-17 model that he'd made and it was clear he had been at this for ages. To this day I regret not shelling out for a model of a Kenworth dump-truck he was selling too. In the years since I've developed a slight obsession with HGV's!

#8230 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:50

Posted Image
De Havilland Moth. By Artist unknown.

I had a quick look at some of my WWI references to no avail. I will look closer later. A thought occured to me, though, what if it's not a real aircraft, but rather a generic?

#8231 Karabas

Karabas

• 112 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 20:03

Thanks, it seems we are very definitely honing in on a Blackburn. Anything confirmed yet?

Look more closely at this painting and literature (Putnam. "Blackburn Aircraft since 1909"), I come to the conclusion that it shows absolutely fantastic mutant: De Havilland Moth with Blackburn tail. I was wrong in my first comment. At 99.9% this is De Havilland

Edited by Karabas, 09 March 2011 - 20:14.

#8232 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:15

Jet City! .....Seattle, WA. To be more specific, in Snohomish County. Home to a large aircraft manufacturer.

Another good source for me has been Goodwill and used-book stores.

To be honest, most of my 'finds' posted here were a single purchase about 3 yrs ago. I wanted just two books (Boeing & Lockheed Cutaway collections) but the seller made a good deal for the box of old modelling books and magazines that, to my shame, I stashed away and didn't look into until now (temporary unemployment gives me the time to do so). The seller was a bit of a weirdo, but he was a recently-retired Boeing mechanic who was moving to California and was selling-up some of his stuff. He showed me a B-17 model that he'd made and it was clear he had been at this for ages. To this day I regret not shelling out for a model of a Kenworth dump-truck he was selling too. In the years since I've developed a slight obsession with HGV's!

Well ... OK, then. That's OK.
Isn't this a pretty cool deal to have so many people going through and pulling stuff like this? Considering that I did not really know anyone who did this until being involved with this group, it is just a big warm fuzzy feeling all-over that comes out of seeing this.
With my allergies, better someone else going through the dead files than me ... did that enough to get the stuff I currently have ...
Thanks, all.
Tom West

#8233 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:41

I am going to start a series of Shin Yoshikawa pieces that will complete the set that I have here. This is the Ferrari 246 GTS.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8234 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:44

With my allergies, better someone else going through the dead files than me ... did that enough to get the stuff I currently have ...

There has been a hint of nasal congestion about your post recently, Tom.

#8235 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:45

This is another Shin Yoshikawa piece, the Ferrari 330 P4. Remember this as one of those wonderful Allington pieces that was done in the Shell poster series.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8236 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:10

This is another Shin Yoshikawa piece, the Ferrari 330 P4. Remember this as one of those wonderful Allington pieces that was done in the Shell poster series.
Tom West

Posted Image

:eek: :up: :up:

It has a sort of brushed steel texture to it. Very interesting.

Edited by werks prototype, 09 March 2011 - 23:38.

#8237 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:12

Next up is Shin Yoshikawa's Ferrari 333 SP. Like these cars a lot, whatever series this kind of stuff runs.

Posted Image

#8238 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:13

Another Shin Yoshikawa Ferrari Supercar, the F40 Road Car.

Posted Image

#8239 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:15

One of those interesting little Fiat-Abarth combinations, the 750GT "DoubleBubble." Note the shaped roof; thus the nickname.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8240 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:17

And another Fiat-Abarth, the OT1300 Coupe.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8241 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:19

Something a little different for Shin Yoshikawa, an American car. This is the original Carroll Shelby modified Mustang 350GT, one of the better of the early "pony" cars.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8242 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:20

Shin Yoshikawa's Lotus 47GTS.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8243 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:22

The Maserati Merak from Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8244 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:37

Phew!!!

Well, Tom.................I think that is very definitely one of the best sequences we have ever had! :eek:

#8245 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:45

I had a quick look at some of my WWI references to no avail. I will look closer later. A thought occured to me, though, what if it's not a real aircraft, but rather a generic?

Look more closely at this painting and literature (Putnam. "Blackburn Aircraft since 1909"), I come to the conclusion that it shows absolutely fantastic mutant: De Havilland Moth with Blackburn tail. I was wrong in my first comment. At 99.9% this is De Havilland

:up: Ok, I'm glad you said that, because my original source is none other than RAF Hendon, 'Postcard' + I have double checked The Bridgeman Art Library entry, which is also citing the RAF Hendon description.

I do think it is the prototype though.

Edited by werks prototype, 09 March 2011 - 23:32.

#8246 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:48

Posted Image
Lotus Formula 1 Type '18'. By James. A. Allington.

Edited by werks prototype, 01 June 2012 - 14:19.

#8247 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:26

Sorry, had the internet connection go bad so had to hang it up for a while.
This is the continuation with the Japanese version of one of the more popular sporty cars in the US, which was known here as the Datsun 240Z, and as the Nissan Fairlady in Japan.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8248 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:30

I think that Shin Yoshikawa is best known for his Porsche work, and here it is represented with the Porsche 356SC.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8249 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:32

Sorry, but this is the last of my Shin Yoshikawa collection for now, the Porsche 993 Carrera 4S.
Enjoying this classic line illustration set, and hope that you did too.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8250 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:09

[quote name='TWest' date='Mar 9 2011, 19:26' post='4885153'
This is the continuation with the Japanese version of one of the more popular sporty cars in the US, which was known here as the Datsun 240Z, and as the Nissan Fairlady in Japan.
Tom West
[/quote]

This car is the Datsun 240Z G nose variant. It is without a doubt the end-all, be-all of 240Z body development cars. I don't think it ever entered series production. I am certain it did not ever show up at dealers in the USofA, the market it was designed for. The father of the 240Z Mr. K (Yutaka Katayama) had a yellow G nose 240Z as his person driver when he was president of Datsun USA. He recently turned 100 years old. The guy still supports the 240Z as the quintessential sporstcar, and he's still right. If Nissan leaders were smart they would bring him back as a consultant and pay attention to his advice. Hint: He does not like the 350/370Z Nissan cars. He says they are cold and dead to drive, and just to follow through he owns a 350Z. Hard to imagine that the 240Z could be made more beautiful, but the G nose accomplished it with a lengthened hood with faired in headlights. The faired in headlights killed it for the US market in the 1970's. It's looks rank right there with the Ferrari 275GTB for me. And hey, I can afford one of them. Which one do you think that might be? In my stable is a Datsun 280Z and I am considering a G nose modification.

Alright, I'm climbing down from the soapbox now. :)

Edited by JoeKane, 10 March 2011 - 03:19.