Photo

BMW County Championship

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 23:43

I'm sure a lot of UK TNFers recall the BMW County Championship with varying degrees of enthusiasm/scepticism - I can't remember if it ever proved anything, but BMW, presumably, were reasonably pleased with it - and it gave one a chance to see drivers from different disciplines mixing it (and slamming into each other on occasions, predating antics in the modern incarnation of the BTCC ).

It was certainly a good photo opportunity -

Posted Image

Dron, Needell and Percy

Posted Image

Martin Brundle

Advertisement

#2 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:24

Am I right in remembering that the cars were built by TWR?

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:41

Nice shots Alan, both from the inside of Lodge Corner, Oulton Park if I am not mistaken.

I must admit I wasn't a fan of this 'made-up' championship. I would watch maybe three laps then take the opportunity to move to anothre vantage point!

However the BMW M1s were a different matter! :eek:

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:49

Originally posted by Stephen W
Nice shots Alan, both from the inside of Lodge Corner, Oulton Park if I am not mistaken.

I must admit I wasn't a fan of this 'made-up' championship. I would watch maybe three laps then take the opportunity to move to anothre vantage point!

However the BMW M1s were a different matter! :eek:

I always felt that as 'ersatz' one-make tintop series went, it was one of the best, as it had pretty good drivers and cars.... Not sure who did the chassis, but I'm pretty sure Ken Brittain (of Brodie-Brittain fame) did the engines for the BMWCC. The 'county' aspect didn't really interest me much, but it was a chance to see good drivers in well-matched cars (hmmm, where did Sheikh Maktoum get the idea for A1GP?;))

#5 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:06

The county challenge was one of TWR's first major contracts

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 18:00

Originally posted by Stephen W

Reckon the second is Old Hall.

Like yourself Steve, I can remember seeing the cars in the paddock, but rarely if ever ventured out to watch them. Seem to remember a fair amount of carnage being the order of the day though - certainly judging by the "wrecks" towed back to the paddock afterwards. Mr. Mansell was invited to drive one occasionally I do believe.

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 16:31

Correct, MCS; second one is inside Old Hall. I remember Mansell making a mess of one at Oulton, after Lodge, having to pull off into the pit entry road to retire.

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:55

Another from the early rounds of the championship - Stuart Graham two-wheels it inside Win Percy - Old Hall, Oulton Park

Posted Image

#9 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:15

Did somebody say this was boring and unspectacular?
Consider what you paid to watch Brundle /Mansell and co really going for it in something that actually gave the spectator some idea of what the car was doing, instead of droning round in a Zakspeed or whatever conserving fuel and playing for points. I'd rather watch this any day.