Hungaroring diary

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 11:52

Friday:

Arrived to Keleti station by train from Bucharest.
Went to youth hostel next to the citadel hill. (15$/night)
Saw two hotels full off Finnish flags sticking out from every window.
My Schumacher loving Finnish friend Petteri arrived at 2100 and we went to down town.
A lot of people from Finland could be seen and heard. Mainly males aged 35-50.
Spent the night in nigh club Piaf (Nagymezo). It is personal and intimate place with ugly looking girls.

Saturday:

We packed our beers and hit the road 1100.
We used metro and ATV-train (+3km walk) to reach the track.
In every metro station our tickets were checked. They didnt check locals.
In train we met nice Canadian and Creek F1 fans. Canadians were afraid that people think that they
are from USA. . .
We reached the track a little bit late, but we saw the end of the qualifying. It was very hot as always.
Its wonderful feeling when you hear the F1 engines first time from the distance. Adrenalin starts pumping in your blood
and this "gotta get to the track feeling" fills your head.
Mika didnt make the pole and Petteri was in good party mood because Michael did.
We had all ready drank about 3L of beer and spirit was high.
I saw some Jos the Boss fans with orange overalls. I immediately yelled: "JOOS the GRAAVEEL BOOOS!" and became popular among
Dutch fans.
Petteri bought a big Schumacher/German flag and I had my 1.6m long Finnish flag.
People had mixed feelings when they saw us together with two very different kind of flags.
All the time we had to explain why somebody from Finland supports Schumi.
We met lot of fans from Germany and Italy and we agreed that first we all are F1 fans and after that supporters of drivers and
teams. One German family had this fabulous Ferrari red (orange) painted caravan. It was piece of art. We joked that he has
to paint it yellow if Schumi goes to Minardi.
We were walking around the track and just checking out the circus that surrounds the GP.
Then we came to this place called "Erotic camping". Immediately we were dragged to the plywood boxes by two slut looking girls.
"Great sex, photo sex" they said. We had to use some force to get out from this horrible situation.
It got dark and on the way back to the train we got lost in the countryside. Only stars, grasshoppers chirping and barking dogs
were with us on that long night. Then we run out of beer.
We sang "Sillanpaan marssilaulu" (Finnish march song learned in military) to keep morale high. We reached hostel at 0200 after 20km of walking.

Sunday:

Wake up 0700. We packed our beers (20x0.5L of beer and 0.5l of vodka)
We sang all the time in the metro and train and *once* we were asked to repeat.
Songs included Finnish national anthem and Sillanpaa song.
Half way to the track this old woman, conductor she was, came to our wagon and started to rip us off.
She was asking 10 times more (6$) than we paid yesterday. We said "no thank you" and we were thrown out from the train.
So again there we were in the middle of the fields with our flags and beers....
We started to hitch-hike and first car (Lada Niva, mother with two kids) took us to the track. In 5 minutes we experienced
unfriendliness and friendliness
More friendliness we saw at the gate. Petteri had to leave his champagne bottle to the gate on Saturday and now we were on the
same gate and they *still* had it. They even asked if we want it to be cooled. So one hour later we had this champagne in
plastic bottle and cooled down. Thank you!

We parked our selves three curves before main straight. It was "standing" place , but we could see the monitor from there.
Ferrari/Schumi fans and Petteri were self-confident about Michael to win. Even warm up didnt look good for Mika, I just
hoped that Mika can make a good start..... and he did it .... I was screaming, waving the flag and jumping when I saw
Mika running first when he first time zoomed past us. I couldnt believe my eyes. He did it again!
Two hours we melted in the sun drinking beer and watching race to develop.
15 minutes before the end I saw one Croatian family with red flags, caps and T-shirts. Father was yelling "BOOOM, BOOM" and
waved his hands as some kind of explosion every time Mika drove past. He was desperately trying to curse Mikas engine to explode.
I just laughed and said: "Mikas champagne ll go BOOM in few minutes.." He stopped and started to curse Barrichello and praise
Mika Salo. He wanted Salo to drive the other Ferrari.

Before the race ended we went to the gate witch opens to the track. Hundreds of people crushed in from this small gate.
I missed the anthem but saw Mika with champagne. I was next to Ferrari red girl and she was showing of her tit....
I kissed the starting line as I did last year and hopefully next year too.
Petteri wanted Michaels autograph and jumped to the pit lane even I said dont do it. He was "returned" in 10 seconds...
After this my memories are quite sparse. Maybe its the victory rush, sun or vodka or all together.
We were partying in forest next to the track. Matti Kyllonen (popular F1 commentator from Finnish TV) was there also.
We filmed him and he filmed us. Somehow I found myself from the Hostel and we paraded with the flag (Petteris left his Schumi flag
unsurprisingly to the hostel) in Budapests walking streets until morning.
I had a hang over for 5 days. Hopefully next year Ill be there again.[p][Edited by MajorTom on 08-23-2000]

Advertisement

#2 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 12:12

Thanks for the recount.
Much better, and real, then the self proclaimed critics on this board that watch from a TV.

Very refreshing. Glad to hear it was a good race experience for you.

#3 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 12:22

Great fun, thanks major. What is photo sex?

#4 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 12:31

Originally posted by Cinquecento
Great fun, thanks major. What is photo sex?

I understood that we could take pictures while we were penetrating the girls...
Ill put a picture about the place/me/girls in here later when I have scanned it.
[p][Edited by MajorTom on 08-23-2000]

#5 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 12:32

MajorTom, that was great! :) Thanks for the story of your weekend, i also think it's refreshing to hear a real fans point of view instead of simple "race reporting". I always thought to attend the Hungarian GP would be as exciting as watching the race itself on tv, but from the sounds of it, i guess not.

#6 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 12:34

A definite Kodak moment!

#7 Sudsbouy

Sudsbouy

• 623 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 20:00

MajorTom:

Thanks for recounting you eventful trip to the Hungarian GP, it sounds like you had a tremendous time. I don't I know if I would have been as functional after drinking all that alcohol. It's quite an accomplishment to make this GP as interesting as you have done!

Thank you.

#8 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 23 August 2000 - 20:49

So, HungaBoring becomes HungaBeering...:stoned:

I heard about the prostitutes in the news but never thought it was so open like this....weird but actually makes sense business wise (for them) to be next to the tourists, I guess.

#9 Cociani

Cociani

• 1,269 posts

Posted 24 August 2000 - 03:44

Hungarian prostitutes are quite agressive. I was travelling from one hostel in 1994 to another in Budapest and ended up on a street full of prostitutes. They came up to me and just kept saying sex come on, sex and grabbing me. One stopped right in front of me an others the others stood next to me like a pack of pihranas it was pretty funny at the time that it happened. I just kept walking and eventually they left me alone(honest:))
This was not GP time either I guess there is quite a lot of prostitution in Budapest in general.

#10 Samurai

Samurai

• 5,415 posts

Posted 24 August 2000 - 03:56

Great stuff, great writing MajorTom!! :) :)
Thanks! :)

#11 Honolulu

Honolulu

• 81 posts

Posted 24 August 2000 - 05:42

Good work, Colonel ;) Tom! I too was there on that Sunday, with my Hungarian friend Gyöngyver (she's a Mika Hakkinen fan, too), a few corners further back. A great day!

#12 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2000 - 05:02

Originally posted by Sudsbouy
MajorTom:

Thanks for recounting you eventful trip to the Hungarian GP, it sounds like you had a tremendous time. I don't I know if I would have been as functional after drinking all that alcohol.

Thank you.

Thank you. Practice makes perfect! :)

#13 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 19:21

http://albums.photop...5594&p=29842912

Hungaroring infamous erotic camping.
Look how hard they are doing business. One is holding my arm like she is afraid that I ll run away after the picture is taken.... as I did then...

#14 P1 Pyrsol

P1 Pyrsol

• 488 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 01:04

:lol: I must have just missed that campground last weekend at Indy.

#15 Rainking

Rainking

• 273 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 10:13

I was in Hungary this summer for F1 and even though it was not the best of races it was OK.:cool:
What was awesome was all the beatiful girls and the weather:blush:

#16 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 10:24

Erotik Camping... lol. They showed the area in the news back in August. Some of the prostitutes were mighty fine looking. Not these two, perhaps, but look at the one by the red desk. Model figure.

#17 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2000 - 07:57

Originally posted by Cinquecento
Not these two, perhaps, but look at the one by the red desk. Model figure.

Sharp eyes you have... :)
Many were definitely worth of 100mk. (15$)

#18 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2000 - 07:59

Originally posted by Rainking
I was in Hungary this summer for F1 and even though it was not the best of races it was OK.:cool:

Agreed! I met few Swedish fans near the Cola stand.
They had a big tent and a swedish flag in there and they were unsuprisingly supporting Schumi...;)

#19 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 06 October 2000 - 08:08

Originally posted by MajorTom

Agreed! I met few Swedish fans near the Cola stand.
They had a big tent and a swedish flag in there and they were unsuprisingly supporting Schumi...;)

That's what happens when you don't have a strong national bias. You tend to go for the best :cool:

Advertisement

#20 MajorTom

MajorTom

• 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2000 - 09:04

Originally posted by Ursus
That's what happens when you don't have a strong national bias. You tend to go for the best :cool: [/B]

Its even better when you can combine the best driver and the national bias when choosing the favorite driver.... :)

But in the end Im a F1 fan first and its just natural to me to support a local 2xChamp.