Photo

Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2962 replies to this topic

#2201 TTMarshal

TTMarshal

• 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:33

It seems that just about every historic race fan on this forum is either from the US or Holland! Or in Dennis' case, from both!! So I might as well chip in and join the Dutchies' camp :-)

OK, here is a German historic Race Fan.

I`m Bernd Bouillon, born on June 7th 1949 . I watched The first motobike-race 1955 in St.Wendel near the French border. From that time on I am influenced. My hero was Australian rider Tom Phillis. Many years later, in 1997, I visited the place on the IOM, wher Tom has been killed and collected a stone from that place.The stone and an autograph from Tom is my treasure. I also did marshalling a few times during the TT and I am a life member of the TT-Marshalls-Association.Via Mr.Don Cox, an Australian journalist, I came in contact to Eric Hinton and Tom Phillis` widow.I stay in contact to many other riders from the 50th and 60th, and my collection of old photos from that aera is about 5000.
This year I am the organizer of "60 years racing at St.Wendel". More details on my homepage:
Visit My Website

One reace is of course in Memoriam of Tom Phillis. :wave:

Advertisement

#2202 HarryStevenson

HarryStevenson

• 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:43

Hi Harry... as a Clubman devotee I welcome you...

Where are you from? Makes a big difference in Clubman circles.

Hullo Ray,

Im from scotland originally, moved to brighton for university and work!

In particular Falkirk, in the central belt, bang slap between edinbrugh and glasgow

#2203 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 13:06

Ah... some kind of Pom!

I'm in Australia, of course, where Clubman racing has staged a resurgence in the last few years, but in a less pure sense than it was when I was involved. In my day we had live rear axles, 1300cc engines that had to come from cars and other components had to be production-derived.

#2204 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:44

OK, here is a German historic Race Fan.

I`m Bernd Bouillon, born on June 7th 1949 . I watched The first motobike-race 1955 in St.Wendel near the French border. From that time on I am influenced. My hero was Australian rider Tom Phillis. Many years later, in 1997, I visited the place on the IOM, wher Tom has been killed and collected a stone from that place.The stone and an autograph from Tom is my treasure. I also did marshalling a few times during the TT and I am a life member of the TT-Marshalls-Association.Via Mr.Don Cox, an Australian journalist, I came in contact to Eric Hinton and Tom Phillis` widow.I stay in contact to many other riders from the 50th and 60th, and my collection of old photos from that aera is about 5000.
This year I am the organizer of "60 years racing at St.Wendel". More details on my homepage:
Visit My Website

One reace is of course in Memoriam of Tom Phillis. :wave:

Wilcommen Bernd...and nice that you have that Aussie connection...did you follow Robbie with his career?? Best Wishes form another 1949er :wave:

#2205 Speeder_76

Speeder_76

• 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:48

Well... my turn, I guess.

My name is Paulo Alexandre Teixeira, I'm 32 and I live in Portugal, although I was born in Brazil. I'm a big racing fan, starting to watch races since I was 5. So, I had thr privilege to see the Turbo Era, the Group B rally cars, the Group C Sports cars... yes, I grew up in the 80's and I'm proud of that!

Actually, I'm a sports journalist (unfortunatly, motorsport is not my area... :cry: :mad: :( ) but in compensation, I run my own motorsport blog, Continental Circus. (www.continental-circus.blogspot.com) I would invite you to see it, but it's written in Portuguese :(

Anyway... my idols are probably the same as you are: Ayrton Senna (my childhood hero), Gilles Villeneuve, Ronnie Peterson, Francois Cevért, Stefan Bellof... all fast guys that died young. But I like Jackie Stewart and Nelson Piquet, especially when he opens it's mouth... LOL! Currently, I'm starting to enjoy Sebastien Vettel, inside... and outside of the car.

And I still miss Lotus.

Well, I hope you enjoy my presentation. See you nex time, cheers!

#2206 FCYTravis

FCYTravis

• 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 23:15

I should probably reintroduce myself...

I'm Travis Mason-Bushman, currently residing in Moscow, Idaho, U.S.A. while attending university but a longtime resident of the San Francisco area.

Watching ESPN's Speedworld, I fell in love with motorsports in 1991, and in 2003 took up race marshalling with the local region of the SCCA. I've marshaled CART at Road America, BTCC at Brands Hatch and most everything in between. In 2004, I worked with a semi-professional Formula Ford 2000 team and with the SPEED Channel broadcast crew at the SCCA Runoffs.

More recently, I had the distinct pleasure of being the PR man for Bob Stallings' Daytona Prototype squad, culminating in our all-conquering 2007 championship season. Getting to work closely with Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty, Jimmy Vasser and many others will be a lifelong career highlight.

My particular interests are 1980s and 1990s CART IndyCar and IMSA GTP.

#2207 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:57

My particular interests are 1980s and 1990s CART IndyCar and IMSA GTP.

Hi Travis

Welcome aboard (again?)

Will you be attending this event?

http://www.portlandhistorics.com/

Vince h.

#2208 Mansell Madgwick

Mansell Madgwick

• 58 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 00:17

Evening all,

Have read (and enjoyed) the forum for a while now but think it's time to join. My name is Paul Gatenby and I never cease to be amazed by the knowledge of the posters on TNF - I doff my hat to you all!

First motorsport memories - going to Cadwell Park to watch Historics and then motorbikes in the mid 80s. First Grand Prix - European at Donington, and got a grandstand view of Wendlinger getting nerfed off on the first lap. Favourite car - would have to be either the Jordan 191 or the Il Barone Rampante Reynard 91D.

Cheers,

Paul

#2209 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:02

Hello....Steve here...primary interests been have been 4-wheeled (or winged)...now have an interest in 2-wheeled history, racing. THANKS!!

#2210 dancin stu

dancin stu

• 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 22:12

Hi All, I'm Stuart Chamberlin: I live in Cambridge and have had the motor racing bug since a small boy and my Dad dragged me along to Donington Park (not reluctantly I may add:)). My first events were the Group C races in the late 80's and early 90's, just wish that I was a bit older than 7 so I have better memories of those fantatsic cars! I can hence now usually be foudn at most historic Group C races when my work calender allows

Long time lurker in the Nostalgia forum, I dont post as much as I would like to, but might try and start increasing the count!

#2211 Daren W

Daren W

• 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 00:22

Hi Im Daren Worboys From Sydney I have owned a MK2 sprite, Project X, A historic group M race car "Griffon", XW Falcon Wagon V8, 71 Triumph 2000 4.4L V8 I converted this at home, Austin 7's I have worked for Nota Sports cars have beed involved with the building of Fangs, Milanos, formula V, 1924 Vauxhall, Alvis Speed 20, GoGGo, Messersmit, Martin, Buchanan Cobra, mini racer, many GT Falcons and the list goes on and on Regards Daren

#2212 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:19

Hi Daren...

Could it be that the 'Griffon' you had was actually the James Sandy car?

#2213 Daren W

Daren W

• 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:48

Hi Yes we where the second owner bought the car of Jim, his son advertised it in the Trading post the car was raced by My Father and I a few times in the 80's whithout its body the new owner restored the car and fitted the body and historic races it now Regards Daren

#2214 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:37

Funny... I bought the sister car through the Trading Post...

Or was it TeleTrading? Anyway, I'd appreciate if we might take some discussion of this subject to e.mail (see address below).

#2215 PeteC

PeteC

• 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:11

Hi,

Not sure really what to say, but here it goes

Iv been a fan of Motorsport since I started driving 3 years ago. I love F1, Im a McLaren and Lewis fan. It's painful to watch them this year :cry:

I've been to Silverstone twice, last year for F1 Qualifying and this year for the Practice.

I think thats it?

Cheers,
Pete

#2216 mitch1973

mitch1973

• 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:30

ok let's introduce myself as a newby

my name is mitch ( actualy michel but everyone calls me mitch )
and i live in holland

35 years of age
and totaly car mad

i have been working in workshops all over the world restoring classic cars
and driving every car i could get my hands on
mainly the old englisch cars
i think the oldest was a jaguar ss1 and the fastest a jaguar xj220

but also everything in between
jaguar,aston martin, austin healey ,rolls royce, bentley ......................................

i haven't been racing a lot the last time was last year in a jaguar xk120 on circuit zandvoort in holland

a few years ago i had an idea and thought it was a good idea to recreate an old racing car
to be more specific i wanted to restore a jaguar for myself
but it had to be something special
something no one had

than and there the broadspeed xj 5.3 coupe came in the picture and never left
it has become a way of life
to collect everything and anything related to these magnificent cars
even though they didnt do what they where supposed to do

well that's me
i would like to say keep up writing on here because i like it a lot and i will be here reading all your stories often

regards

mitch

#2217 sonar

sonar

• 167 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:27

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself: I'm a woman, I live in The Netherlands and I'm 39 years old.
I first got interested in autosports after Francois Cevert was killed on my 4th birthday.
After that I decided to support Ronnie Peterson.
When he died I lost interest for a few years until I saw a race on television in 1982.
In 1984 I was happy to see Stefan Bellof in formula 1 and decided to support him.
After he died, Ayrton Senna became my favourite.
As you all can see formula one drivers are better of without me supporting them.......

Formula one as it is today doesn't interest me much so I was very happy to find this nostalgia forum.

:wave: Ilja.

#2218 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 13:30

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself: I'm a woman, I live in The Netherlands and I'm 39 years old.
I first got interested in autosports after Francois Cevert was killed on my 4th birthday.
After that I decided to support Ronnie Peterson.
When he died I lost interest for a few years until I saw a race on television in 1982.
In 1984 I was happy to see Stefan Bellof in formula 1 and decided to support him.
After he died, Ayrton Senna became my favourite.
As you all can see formula one drivers are better of without me supporting them.......

Formula one as it is today doesn't interest me much so I was very happy to find this nostalgia forum.

:wave: Ilja.

With your luck, I don't suppose you'd consider supporting Max Mosley? Until there's evidence that the wooden stake has gone through his heart, I just can't believe we've seen the last of him.

#2219 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:49

With your luck, I don't suppose you'd consider supporting Max Mosley? Until there's evidence that the wooden stake has gone through his heart, I just can't believe we've seen the last of him.

It seems along time ago now, but I remember similar sentiments being expressed in period about one Jean-Marie Balestre.............

Advertisement

#2220 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:52

It seems along time ago now, but I remember similar sentiments being expressed in period about one Jean-Marie Balestre.............

True. Maybe it is the passage of time, but I do not recall Balestre as being as bad as Max. It seems that Mosley is so arrogant, egotistical, and full of himself that he will destroy F-1 rather than, in his opinion, lose face. This is the same clown who demands an apology for an imagined slight from the same people he calls looneys. I could go on and on, you have heard it all before, but I cannot stomach this arrogant b-----d.
Tom

#2221 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:28

What gets me is that Mosley keeps pointing out that he is the democratically elected president of the FIA. I always understood that democracy meant that the ruled elected someone from their own ranks to rule over them for a period, and as the F1 teams never had a vote, they aren't in a democracy. Authoritarianism perhaps might be a better description.

#2222 Igor_E

Igor_E

• 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 18:49

Hi folks

My name is Igor, I'm from Canada, and I am big F1 fan. My interest is mostly Ferrari team, and I am especially fascinated by the era of 50s, 60s and 70. It's not my age group though, I was born only in 1961, but these first three decades attract me by their pure and most genuine racing spirit and passion.

I collect f1 car models, again mostly Ferrari, as well as autographed photos of Ferrari drivers. I have pretty much all "regular" drivers, except Farina and de Portago. I'm also missing few "one-timers": Carini, Whitehead, Sommer, Pillette and some privateers. I'm looking for people with similar interests, you can see my collections online: My collection online

Best Regards
Igor

#2223 10kDA

10kDA

• 978 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 13:41

Cutting, pasting and editing of some of my intro at the Motorcycle Racing Nostalgia subforum:

Hello all, Chris here. 55 years old and happily still counting. My first motorcycle was a 1975 Kawasaki H1, a great engine in a not so great frame - though of course I wish I still had it. Did some racing in the 80s in the Midwest (US), had a lot of fun though constrained by budget. I raced bikes because I realized all the consumables cost much less than if I had raced cars, which is what I had wanted to do since my teens. Let's see, two new tires vs. four, a lot less race gas per weekend, haul everything plus "crew" in a beat up old pickup, do all maintenance sitting on an upturned 5-gal bucket in a corner of the garage... what's not to like?

I have lost interest in current pro-level motorcycle racing due to the extremely corporate atmosphere and minutae-driven organization. This sort of sums up what has happened to auto racing also over the years - every participant's interview is a commercial and the machinery has become homogenized and in most cases, butt-ugly. Not that I hold any negativity toward the current state of things, it's just that I personally don't see the attraction to racing defined by extremely restrictive rulebooks or pay-to-play "homologation" schemes (scams?).

I have taken loads of pics (unscanned) from bike and car events spanning the late 60s to early 2000s from events in the Midwest that I will eventually get around to scanning and posting - though that task is pretty far down on the to-do list and will be accomplished in fits and starts.

Looking forward to participating in this and the 4-wheel Nostalgia forums.

#2224 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 16:20

What gets me is that Mosley keeps pointing out that he is the democratically elected president of the FIA. I always understood that democracy meant that the ruled elected someone from their own ranks to rule over them for a period, and as the F1 teams never had a vote, they aren't in a democracy. Authoritarianism perhaps might be a better description.

As I understand it, the head of the FIA (Mosley in the present case) is elected by the member clubs of the FIA. Meaning AAA in the States, RAC in the UK, and so forth. The sporting area of the FIA, including F-1 et al, is but one of many areas of motoring that the FIA oversees. Hence, the teams never have had a vote because they are not a national automobile club.

But having said that, I do agree that Mosley has taken the authority of his position far beyond the written job description, if you will. His ego and arrogance have transformed him from the president that he was in the early to mid 90s to a despot, ruling by executive fiat and fear. Cross him and you die. Right, Ron Dennis? Now we have FOTA standing up to him with Bernie seemingly caught in the middle.

But you have to hand it to Max for his chutzpah. A man who calls his enemies looneys, calls Sir Jackie Stewart 'a certified half wit', then demands apologies for small slights and threatens to fine, suspend, or eliminate anything he deems not 'in the best interests of the sport'. This from the guy caught in an unsavory sex scandal who then wraps himself in the cloak of righteosness and claims to be the victim.

Begone!

Tom

#2225 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:28

Originally posted by Igor_E
.....I am especially fascinated by the era of 50s, 60s and 70. It's not my age group though, I was born only in 1961, but these first three decades attract me by their pure and most genuine racing spirit and passion.

I collect f1 car models, again mostly Ferrari, as well as autographed photos of Ferrari drivers. I have pretty much all "regular" drivers, except Farina and de Portago. I'm also missing few "one-timers": Carini, Whitehead, Sommer, Pilette and some privateers. I'm looking for people with similar interests, you can see my collections online: My collection online

Well, that's a great start, Igor...

I'm sure you can gain and add a lot to some of the threads in this forum over time. Keep up your enthusiasm for the 'good old days' and 'pure' times. A shame your intro was lost in the passion of others for the return of that purity.

#2226 Ronnie792

Ronnie792

• 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:06

Hi,
my name is Tim, I'm English and I live in Amsterdam. I have also lurked around the Nostalgia forum for many months and now it's time to get more involved. My prime interest is 70's Formula 1, but as a child of the 60's, I also grew up around Group B Rallying and Group C Endurance; a true privelege! Ad for the F1, I'm particularly interested in Lotus and their racing program, plus the life and work of Colin Chapman. As for drivers, it has to be Ronnie Peterson....

#2227 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:47

As for the F1, I'm particularly interested in Lotus and their racing program, plus the life and work of Colin Chapman. As for drivers, it has to be Ronnie Peterson....

Welcome to TNF. With those interests, you should feel right at home.

#2228 Ronnie792

Ronnie792

• 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:27

Welcome to TNF. With those interests, you should feel right at home.

Thanks. From previous posts, I understand that you worked at Lotus in the past. It must have been a great experience. I'm planning a works tour in September; needless to say, the camera will be fully charged!

#2229 sonar

sonar

• 167 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 21:45

Hi,
my name is Tim, I'm English and I live in Amsterdam. I have also lurked around the Nostalgia forum for many months and now it's time to get more involved. My prime interest is 70's Formula 1, but as a child of the 60's, I also grew up around Group B Rallying and Group C Endurance; a true privelege! Ad for the F1, I'm particularly interested in Lotus and their racing program, plus the life and work of Colin Chapman. As for drivers, it has to be Ronnie Peterson....

Hoi Tim,
My interest is also mainly in '70 formula one and group C endurance. I'm also a big fan of Colin Chapman and one of my favourite racing drivers is Ronnie Peterson.
I also live near you, in Zaandam.
Nice to hear from you!
:wave:
Ilja.

#2230 Ronnie792

Ronnie792

• 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 14:27

Hoi Tim,
My interest is also mainly in '70 formula one and group C endurance. I'm also a big fan of Colin Chapman and one of my favourite racing drivers is Ronnie Peterson.
I also live near you, in Zaandam.
Nice to hear from you!
Ilja.

Welcome Ilja! Perhaps we'll bump into each other in Zandvoort sometime?

#2231 Beech_boy

Beech_boy

• 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 22:32

Hi everyone, my name's Rob - my main interest in motoring is pre-ww2 racing, so do my best to get to as many VSCC events a year as I can, although that's usually only two a year if i'm lucky due to other commitments (University, restoring old aircraft etc). Located very close to Mallory Park so of course will be there on August 23 for the VSCC meet

#2232 thebrush8

thebrush8

• 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 14:28

Hello all! :wave:

I'm new (obviously), so just wanted to introduce myself in a formal way before I post anything else! My interests are diverse - Land Speed Record, 60s and 70s sports cars, hillclimb (well, I do live down the road from Prescott!) and well as F1. I just love cars! Oh and Alfa Romeo too...
Anyone going to the Silverstone Classic?

#2233 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 15:22

Hello all! :wave:

I just love cars! Oh and Alfa Romeo too...

Good man!

#2234 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 00:13

Hi all from the Gold Cost Australia ,long time lurker but until recently(now semi retired) never had the time to get involved. Great Forum,i was a member of the AARC in the 1960's(Warwick Farm and the Tasman series) and was involved in Rallying and Hillclimbs in the 1970's. Mid life crisis has taken a long time to kick in and now have become interested in Cars and Car Racing again.

Regards.
B.

#2235 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:46

Basil - Welcome from across the "ditch" [New Zealand]

#2236 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 23:33

Basil - Welcome from across the "ditch" [New Zealand]

Thanks Peter.

#2237 Nathan Thompson

Nathan Thompson

• 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:27

Hello,
My name is Nathan Thompson, I'm a student from Dallas, Tx. I've lurked on these boards for several years now and finally decided to join up. I've been interested in racing since elementary school, began racing karts as a teen and still do the odd F2000 club race when the money is there. I've worked as a racing mechanic in the southwest and at the Jim Russell School at Sears Point in their Mechanics Training Program. Motorsports was my first love and I find it's history fascinating and I hope to learn a lot on this board.
Thanks
Nathan Thompson

#2238 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:05

Nice to see you have stopped lurking Nathan ,this is a good place to express yourself , and as you have found out you learn a lot on TNF......TEXAS is the best state in the USA,and as a country music fan i listen to KHYI in your home town all the time on the net ,even visited the station a couple of years ago while touring around .Once motor sport gets into your blood it hard to get away from it ,55 years for me and i still learn things here .WELCOME.

#2239 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 21:45

Originally posted by Basil
.....I was a member of the AARC in the 1960s (Warwick Farm and the Tasman series) and was involved in Rallying and Hillclimbs in the 1970s. Mid life crisis has taken a long time to kick in and now have become interested in Cars and Car Racing again.

The long lost and beloved days of Geoffrey and Mary, it's hard to believe Mary's been gone for over ten years now, isn't it?

Did you participate at the Farm? As a fellow member I was waving flags from 1965 until Max dragged me into his employ, 'twas great driving a lap each practice and race day to get to our flag point!

Maybe we can catch up on the Gold Coast some time, perhaps drag you around to Mudgeeraba where my nephew is putting together his race car for a chat? My e.mail address is below if you want...

Advertisement

#2240 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:17

Hi Ray
Thanks for the warm welcome, i was at school in the 1960's so was a junior member of the AARC,attended almost all WF meetings up until 1970(then work),friends Father worked for Shell so got to see everything from the Pits, enjoy reading your informative posts and sure brings back some memories,I had some great 8mm film(home movie) film of Clark and Hill in practice(Clark did some mugging for the camera putting his scarf on "sore tooth" style) in the Gold Leaf cars and also of the Lotus Elan doing the end for end roll coming out of Creek Corner,but dug it out a few Years ago and it was all stuck together and ruined,very disappointing.
Currently in Sydney helping my Brother wind up his Engineering Business but will keep your Email address for future reference.

Regards
B.

#2241 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 14:08

I think that Elan rollover would have been Doug Macarthur's coming across the Northern Crossing?

His was an orangey colour, erupted out of the middle of the pack vertically on the first lap.

Which Shell employee would that have been?

#2242 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:45

I think that Elan rollover would have been Doug Macarthur's coming across the Northern Crossing?

His was an orangey colour, erupted out of the middle of the pack vertically on the first lap.

Which Shell employee would that have been?

Hi Ray
My friend was Neil Nicol but have forgotton his Fathers christian name,i think he worked as a Chemist or in that side of things, we had Pit Passes for every meeting 1962 thru to around 1970. I think it was Doug Macarthur's Elan, i got film of it from the pit fence at the causeway cartwheeling thru the air. In the early 1980's i ran into the caretaker(name escapes me) that lived in the House(Homestead?),he had retired to the Central Coast and started playing Golf at Terrigal,he sure had some tales to tell about the demise of Motor Racing at the 'Farm' and the AARC itself.
When i started work in the City i used to spend my lunch hour in the Sussex St(i think it was Sussex) office of the AARC, they had a slot car track downstairs and a library of all the latest o/seas(mainly UK) Motoring Magazines available to read. I wandered down there in the early 1970's and the place was all shut up,no correspondence or warning that i can remember so not sure what happened.

Regards
B.

#2243 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:07

Hey, let's go to a new topic on the AARC...

I'll start it and you can join in with your memories.

#2244 SX2002

SX2002

• 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 00:19

Hi to All from Australia.
My name is Ron, I'm a retired mechanical engineer. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.
Just for interest sake, I drive a Nissan S15 200SX (Silvia)
My main interest on this site is classic F1...Vanwall, Maserati, Talbot-Lago, Auto Union etc, etc.
I daresay with the different Topics, I'll probably get involved there as well.
Cheers,
Ron. :wave:

#2245 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:26

Welcome Ron, see that you took the advice from Anne (Sporting Car Club of SA) and found this place! I am sure that you will enjoy it.

#2246 ddmichael

ddmichael

• 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:55

Hello, my name's Dylan and, like many of those who've shown themselves before me, have been a long-term lurker. I'm 32, live and work in London and am living in the foolish hope that I might one day earn a crust writing about the history of motor sport.

My particular interests are in 1950s and 60s single-seater racing, though I have recently become fascinated by the pre-war era. Favourite driverswould have to include Jochen Rindt, Masten Gregory, Chris Amon, Johnny Servoz-Gavin, Luigi Musso, Ricardo Rodriguez and Willy Mairesse. I suppose my true love of current F1 ended the day Alesi stepped out of his broken Jordan at Suzuka - thanks Kimi ):

Glad to see I'm amongst fellow Alfa lovers here - I drive a battered but (mostly) rust free '79 Sud Ti...

Edited by ddmichael, 22 July 2009 - 16:00.

#2247 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 20:40

I drive a battered but (mostly) rust free '79 Sud Ti...

That sounds exceptional for the model; shouldn't that be in an Alfa museum somewhere?  ;)

Welcome, Dylan - enjoy your time on TNF :)

#2248 colinctoo

colinctoo

• 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:56

Hello, my name is Colin Connaughton and I've joined the group after seeing a discussion of motor sport in the 1950's in the central west of NSW. I grew up in Orange in the 1950's, and became a regular spectator at Gnoo Blas, Mt Panorama, Catalina Park, Amaroo Park and Oran Park. My interest is still largely in the cars of that era. I was never a competitor in period, but having retired a few years ago I've acquired an Alfa Romeo Alfetta in Group S trim and am making up for lost time.

#2249 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:52

Welcome Colin, glad you got here! Seing that you are retired you can waste even more time than I do on this forum! Should get your brother on here too!

(I was at school in Orange, same year as Colin but different school, and we went to uni together, although he graduated and I didn't, and shared accommodation for awhile but we haven't been in touch for 45 years or so until recently where we met up again through the marvels of the internet).

Bob Collinson

#2250 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:51

..but having retired a few years ago I've acquired an Alfa Romeo Alfetta in Group S trim and am making up for lost time.

This is good, we'll be taking over the forum and re-naming it soon at this rate. How about 'The Alfista Nostalgia Forum' ?