Photo

Ian Norris

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:31

The name Ian Norris may not mean much to many TNF members but I know many of my fellow motoring journalists will know him. I
an died suddenly of a heart attack last Monday, I believe, whilst attending the Geneva Motor Show.

Ian has been Editor of Automobile Year for over twenty years and was the PR manager for Dunlop in motor cycle racing and motor racing and later Jaguar. Ian was one of the funniest people to come on the motor racing scene and was the creator of the legendary "Edgar Jessop" back in the 1970's. Ian persuaded many of us to slip the name Edgar Jessop into reports or results and many people thought that this person actually existed. Edgar was a "legendary" motor cycle ace who always raced in plimsols and became famous on the Isle of Man. Indeed if you go into the pub at the start line for the TT you will see pewter mugs on display with the names of the great TT legends, Hailwood, MacINtyre, etc but on a separate shelf there is a mug with "Edgar Jessop" on it all thanks to the amusing sense of humour of Ian. I was with him three weeks ago at Retromobile and complimenting on how healthy he looked. He and his wife had just moved house from England to Le Mans and he was translating for the Automobile Club de l'Ouest etc. Someday I will look out the transcript of a tape Ian and I did together in front of a group of journos in the press room at Silverstone about ten years ago where we were "Creating" the life story of Edgar Jessop. I am sure I speak for everyone who knew him, we will miss him sorely.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:38

I vaguely knew Ian's name, but had no idea he was the creator of the legendary Edgar Jessop (clog-maker from Barnoldswick, was he not?). Tremendous stuff!

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:54

Ah, the legendary Edgar Jessop! He appeared virtually every week in Motoring News in the early 70s. A wonderful creation, now really passed into legend.

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 14:25

I am really sorry to hear this awful news.

Ian did the voice overs in the "Best of British......................" series of marque 1 hr videos particually excellent were those on Jaguar and MG he had a rich smooth voice which suited the subject matter perfectly and was hugely knowledgeable and detailed.......one of the very best at this difficult job. Sad loss.

#5 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 16:32

I'm just stupefied. I knew Ian pretty well and admired the way he went back and forth from PR to writing and editing -- a multi-faceted character who will be very much missed.

#6 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 19:18

Graham,
That's very sad news indeed.
I have known Ian for ages, ever since he came to Zandvoort in the '60s and now and then we would run into eachother and talk about racing.
I remember going together with Ian and a few other journalists to the Colin Chapman court case in Holland after Colin decided to hit a Dutch Policeman....

The Retromobile was the last time I saw him too, and he looked well..........

Sad.

#7 Ian Titchmarsh

Ian Titchmarsh

• 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 19:18

Ian was a wonderful character, always smiling and always ready with his latest batch of entertaining stories. I feel that the status of Automobile Year has been considerably enhanced during his editorship and he will be a very hard act to follow.

In the hey day of Radio Le Mans in the wee small hours I used to have the pleasure of interviewing Edgar Jessop and it was always a challenge to see how long Ian could keep going before one of us broke up. It was usually when Edgar starting reminiscing about Kate's Cottage on the Isle of Man and how the old lady who lived there, whose name escapes me, provided him with succour when his chain, or brake cable, or whatever broke during the 1922 TT. And then there was the year when Edgar was almost ready to take over one of the Hugh Chamberlain Spices until insanity prevailed. Edgar in his clogs, leather helmet and apron down the pre-chicane Mulsanne was best left to the imagination.

It's very sad news.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 23:12

I have been late in learning this awful news. Why is it so often the good guys?

I first met Ian at Fort Dunlop in the mid-1960s when I was doing a story on their racing department. It would have been easy for this physical giant of a man to look intimidating - in fact he was quite the reverse, a big, genial, jovial, inclusive absolute bear of a man. Yet he seemed in many ways remarkably gentle, and on unguarded occasions almost little-boy vulnerable in some matters.

When Ferrari's 50th anniversary cavalcade was streaming over the Futa Pass at hig speed, I managed to pressure a German-speaking (modern) Testa Rossa driver into a half-spin trying to stave off my humble Hertz Renta-Panda with a press flash on the windscreen, which was in hot (and dare I say 'inspired'?) pursuit. It was just one of those days when the old historical frenzy happened upon one - and you become a man on a mission. Just for once, DCN was red-misted over. It was grrrrreaaatttttt!

I passed the fellow while he was sorting it all out - at 25mph along the ditch into which he had just broadsided at around 80 - and when I arrived at the top of the Pass with the sobbing little Panda's tyres virtually alight, who should be there but Big Ian. "What-ho Edgar!" etc and the usual pleasantries. Then the TR arrived, and its driver was not amused. Ian with his linguistic skills - and I suspect moreso his towering presence - charmed the fellow out of World War 3, and when the Hun demanded accusingly to look under the Panda's bonnet dear old Ian pointed out that he shouldn't suspect the Hertz fleet's engines, he should look behind the steering wheel for the Hertz customer's - umm - cochones...

Like so many in his industry - I will miss him. Sincerest sympathies to his people. Ave Edgar - rest easy, big man.

DCN

#9 zarzof

zarzof

• 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:16

Hi There is an article in the Australian mag OLD BIKE No 3 about the Edgar Jessop Pennant being held at Tuena every year. The article starts with .Ever since Edgar Gessop reputedly raced his Spagford Snowbucket in the Crookwell TT of April 1st, 1927 , there is rarely a gathering in any local pub when the great name does not come up, particularly on the subject of illegitimate children and irresponsible drinking.....

#10 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:30

To think it is now a year since Ian died. We used to have some amusing times and one time at Silverstone we kept the press room amused with a two-way reminiscence of Edgar Jessop including the story about Edgar's illegitimate son Tyler.

When returning from an Eastern European GP Edgar picked up a nice American girl hitchhiker and one thing led to another. She returned to America but, as we explained, " there was issue" and the American girl telephoned Edgar to ask what name she should give the little boy. However it was a bad phone line and Edgar thought she was asking where he was going so he said " T' Isle'r Man" which was why the child was called Tyler Mann !

Don't get me started on Edgar Jessop and the development of the story Ian Titchmarch told earlier in this thread. When Edgar crashed he was actually launched into the garden of the aged maiden Kronk sisters "...who admired this fine figure of a man lying supine under a hedge."

Still missing you Ian. Come back and tell us how good the Dunlop Duraband tyre really was.

#11 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:59

Originally posted by zarzof
Hi There is an article in the Australian mag OLD BIKE No 3 about the Edgar Jessop Pennant being held at Tuena every year. The article starts with .Ever since Edgar Gessop reputedly raced his Spagford Snowbucket in the Crookwell TT of April 1st, 1927 , there is rarely a gathering in any local pub when the great name does not come up, particularly on the subject of illegitimate children and irresponsible drinking.....

Tuena NSW up near Bathurst?? Tell as more zarzof...Crookwell TT sounds interesting as well!! I suppose these blokes would also have competed in the Goulburn GP.

#12 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:47

Still have the tie Ian gave me with the Jessop coat of arms. Cloth cap rampant above plimsoll, inscribed "E J Vivat". Happy Days !

#13 Mr Plug

Mr Plug

• 126 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 15:26

I too have many good memories of the late Ian Norris, from his days at Champion, and particularly of the little orange stickers bearing the legend "Edgar Jessop Lives!" that were distributed for affixing in strange places - hopefully for discovery some years!

Imagine my shock when I came upon this recently:

Posted Image

The synopsis reads: "There was only one thing wrong with Edgar Jessop. HE WASN'T QUITE SANE! And his newspaper colleagues were plotting against him, giving juicy assignments to willing girl reporters, promoting underlings and leaving his talent to rot in insignificance. But he could show them! And he did - - by committing an almost clueless murder, and daring the authorities to solve it."

Hmmmmm....is there a need to review history?