Photo

Gastón Perkins RIP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 19:57

Yesterday, has passed away the Argentinian driver Gastón Perkins, one of the most popular drivers of the 1960`s, 1969 Turismo Carretera Champion. He exceeded at the wheel of such diferent cars as the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, the Borgward Isabella, the Renault Gordini or the mighty IKA Torino.
Definitively a great loss for the argentinian motorsport.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 20:21

Indeed.
He had a very long, very successful career. I read somewhere that Gaston Mazzacane was named after Gaston Perkins - shame Mazzacane hasn't had the same success!!

Resto en paz. :(

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,885 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 22:00

While I was searching for information in 1970 issues of L'automobile magazine, I found a series of articles about the renaissance of Argentinian motorsport. Written by Christian Moity, 'L'Argentine automobile et sportive' featured vignettes and pictures about the different categories of motorsport in Argentina.

I had NO idea whatsoever Argentinian motorsport was so rich and so diverse. The cars featured in the articles, especially in Turismo de Carretera and Sport Prototipos, were unlike any I'd ever seen. Before I read Moity, I always had visions of big and clumsy American cars when I read names like 'Ford Torino' or 'Trueno Sprint Chevrolet'. Boy was I mistaken! These cars were true local specials, all very original, and were driven by the likes of Carlos Reutemann and Nestor Garcia Véga.

Turismo de Carretera and Sport Prototipos deserve to be better known IMHO.

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 16:58

I only have a year of birth (1920).

Anyone with a complete birth date?