Photo

RIP Barry Mulholland

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:28

Sad news in todays paper, 1968 Bathurst Winner Barry Mullholland passed away. Barry was the co driver to Bruce McPhee.

RIP Barry

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:46

For all five laps...

I must say I can't remember meeting the man, though I probably did. Some of these old FJ Holden racers are getting pretty old now... Bruce was going dotty ten years ago, but he's still plugging along.

This announcement is just another in a line that will never end, unfortunately.

#3 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 00:17

This is sad news. I heard that Barry Mulholland had been gravely ill. How old would he have been? Apart from his single lap at the Bathurst 500 for five years what other racing had he down? I heard that it was not very much at all .... What can you tell us Ray?

I hear that Bruce is not as dotty as everyone make out.... :)

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 00:48

I think you'll find he was another FJ racer.

Bruce tends to repeat stories and 'enlarge' on them a lot, and also to get very mixed up with dates and sequences. But he's still got plenty of marbles in the right places, all the same.

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:20

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell

Bruce tends to repeat stories .........He go well here on TNF, RAY . :p

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:22

Not with the 'enlargement' they sometimes get!

Just spoke to Alma trying to find out more about Barry's racing. Bruce, in the background, said he never raced other than those five laps he did with him... which, of course, we know can't be true, as you had to do three race meetings elsewhere before you could get a start at Bathurst.

Then he remembered something about him racing at Orange... but in what? I'm checking...

#7 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:53

Ray, there was more to qualifying to race at Bathurst than three previous race meetings. Didn't you virtually have to be a card-carrying member of the ARDC?

Having said that it never ceases to amaze me how when looking at the entry list for 60's Bathursts how manys don't ring a bell at all. An A to Z of all club racers who raced at Catalina, Oran Park and Towac... :) Most probably!;)

An FJ Holden racer who would probably have good recall is Warren Weldon. My friend Luke interviewed him for AMC and found that he had good recall of those days.

#8 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:11

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I think you'll find he was another FJ racer.

Bruce tends to repeat stories and 'enlarge' on them a lot, and also to get very mixed up with dates and sequences. But he's still got plenty of marbles in the right places, all the same.

Sounds like a lot of people, as they grow older!

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:26

I'm actually getting the impression that almost nobody will recall...

I would think it's possible that he's done three meetings in a car or cars he's borrowed from regular racers. His motor sporting history is more within the Central Coast Car Club, he was involved in their club activities, more rallies than racing.

As for the qualification rules at Bathurst... it was merely that you had to have got rid of those three stripes on the back of your car. Three race meetings, three signatures that you hadn't done anything silly, and you could run.

Getting an entry accepted might have been different, particularly as time went on and the race became oversubscribed. Then prior participation in ARDC events was no doubt an aid to selection. Bathurst Easter meetings, Catalina and later Amaroo Park.

#10 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:34

Perhaps someone like Bob Holden may have an idea. He is still as sharp as a tack