• 1,231 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:46

Down from the attic then Russ :rotfl:

Advertisement

#1752 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:55

I currently have bike stuff stewn all over the house. It's there somewhere I know it is......I just know it :stoned:

#1753 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:59

Posted Image

This guy also seems to have a connection with Gilera? WWW ?

Or maybe that's not a Gilera bage on his crash hat ?

#1754 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 17:41

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Liberto Liberati?

:clap: Yes sir, it certainly is.

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Libero Liberati cranking the Gilera into what looks to be La Source, 1957. The year he won the 500 title. He was later killed in a car crash?, about 1962.

:clap: Liberati into La Source, 1957 is correct. He was the winner of this race.

Libero died on the 5th of March, 1962. After 5 years absence from GP´s, he resigned with Gilera and was preparing for his comeback on public roads, when he fell and was killed. A plaque was erected in his memory at the spot where he died. An interesting fact is that the football stadium in his home town, Terni, is named after him, one of the few in Italy named after someone outsde of football.

Posted Image

#1755 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 18:20

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russell Burrows
[B]Posted Image

Libero with Bob Mac.

#1756 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:04

Is the Itom piolt too difficult ? ....whoops gave away part of the answer. Clues then: it's not a young and dashing Rod Scyivyer....
Also, I think this gentleman may have made a fleeting appearance on here - perhaps a couple of months before Christmas? Actually, that's no clue at all is it..... OK, Frank Sheene is a good clue.

#1757 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:34

While the panel are mulling over the clues to your 50cc question Russ (totally got me :confused: ), I´ll give the lads this little teaser.
Never seen him on here, and hear very little about him, but rated by those that saw him.
WWW, and what is the machine?

Posted Image

#1758 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:45

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
While the panel are mulling over the clues to your 50cc question Russ (totally got me :confused: ), I´ll give the lads this little teaser.
Never seen him on here, and hear very little about him, but rated by those that saw him.
WWW, and what is the machine?

Posted Image

Alistar King, 350cc Bianch twin, 1962?

#1759 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:47

Agree with that - perhaps '61. British Road circuit - Dundrod?

Advertisement

#1760 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:51

Thanks classic.

Milani on the factory bike ? Then Degens and Steve Jolly on the Mettise framed Higley bike.

Sorry just having another look and learn on the forum.

It is Gilberto Milani, 1965, factory bike it is.

#1761 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:55

Posted Image

Another world champion on an Aermacchi

#1762 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 20:08

Alastair King at Dundrod Hairpin - Ulster Grand Prix 1961 on a 350 Bianchi twin.

Bob Mac was No 10 on another Bianchi.

They were really good friends - after Bob was killed at Oulton in 1962, Alastair never raced again.

#1763 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 20:18

Originally posted by Classicpics
Posted Image

Another world champion on an Aermacchi

Even I know this one, Kel Carruthers.

#1764 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 21:33

Originally posted by picblanc

Even I know this one, Kel Carruthers.

You know 'em all Graham :clap:

Like your pic of Tepi 1975 Mallory hairpin. Didn't he highside later on in the race just there?
If so I have a picture of him going through the screen, legs in the air, (if it wasn't that race it was the same day).
I was standing on the inside behind the old breeze block marshals post.
May take some finding, but I'll have a look.

Great images Graham. Oh happy days

#1765 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 21:57

Posted Image

This guy also seems to have a connection with Gilera? WWW ?

Or maybe that's not a Gilera bage on his crash hat ?

No takers on this then... It's Howard German on Frank Sheene's Special (looks like an Itom to me) Ah, now you all remember.....yeah, right.  ;) I think he raced several of Frank's bikes and later had a go at vintage racing ? Too obscure I know.....

#1766 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:16

Posted Image

Alistair and Bob around the late fifties?

#1767 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:21

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done guys.

Alistair King it is. 350 Bianchi, Dundrod hairpin, 1961.
Mike Hailwood rated him very highly. Praise indeed. :up:

#1768 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:28

Posted Image

Who's this guys, what's the bike ?

#1769 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:32

Posted Image

Moto Guzzi?

#1770 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:33

You know 'em all Graham :clap:

Like your pic of Tepi 1975 Mallory hairpin. Didn't he highside later on in the race just there?
If so I have a picture of him going through the screen, legs in the air, (if it wasn't that race it was the same day).
I was standing on the inside behind the old breeze block marshals post.
May take some finding, but I'll have a look.

Great images Graham. Oh happy days

Thanks CP. :wave:

#1771 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:35

Posted Image

One for Rhodie.

#1772 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:54

Posted Image

One for Rhodie.

I discovered a very touching newspaper cutting the other day written by Ray Amm´s Dad shortly after Ray lost his life in Imola. Lovely fellow by all acounts, and a real charger. Watched him ride when I was a young ´un, but it´s all a bit blurry now. He definitely would have done the business I´ve always thought. So sad.

#1773 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 23:25

Posted Image

Ken Kavanagh, Moto Guzzi 1953?

#1774 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 23:48

Yes Rhodie, Ken and the Guzzi single at Spa. The caption says '54 and that he finnished second to Duke. The Ray Amm shot is at the same meeting. There's no doubt Ray was one of the few guys at that time to be able to get a Manx among the Italian Multis and Guzzis. I think Duke was on record as describing him as somthing like fearless.

#1775 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:05

Posted Image

...good example of a "dustbin' fairing...

#1776 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:15

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done guys.

Alistair King it is. 350 Bianchi, Dundrod hairpin, 1961.
Mike Hailwood rated him very highly. Praise indeed. :up:

Posted Image

Alistair King leading the two Works MVs (Hailwood and Hocking) on his 500cc Joe Potts Manx at the 1961 Italian GP at Monza. Alistair finished the race second behind Hailwood.

#1777 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:24

Good old Norton out front, nice shot. This must have been one of Hailwood's first rides on the MV. I know Garry was a bit smaller, but he's still doing a better job of tucking himself in than Mike.

#1778 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 15:03

I have no idea who these riders are, where the shot was taken, or what year it is. Can anyone help answer these questions?

Posted Image

#1779 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 15:24

Number 14 looks like he's on an NSU judging by the leading-link (trailing-link?) forks.

Advertisement

#1780 gripper

gripper

• 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 21:29

The rider leading the pack (No123) is John Griffeths and the year is 1961? John came over to Northern Ireland and raced at The Cookstown 100 that year and was nicknamed 'horizontal John' by some of the other riders. Being young at the time I assumed that he might have been a bit of a crasher.

On each side of the peel fairing around the hand muffs painted on was a replica of the AJS logo and tank lines. I don't know who did his paintwork, but remember that it was an excellent job.

I have a pic somewhere of John stood beside his machine which he quite willingly took the time for me to take just before the start of his race. I remember him being a very quick rider but can't remember where he finished as he was up against the likes of Ralph Bryans, who won, and Len Ireland etc.

Cant help with any of the other riders.

#1781 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 21:44

Thanks for that Gripper. :up:
The pic is out of Mike Hailwood and Murray Talkers book, The art of motorcycle racing, an excellent publication that I´ve had since ´64. The picture appears in a chapter devoted to slipstreaming, but without any mention of who the riders are. :wave:

#1782 Maridadi

Maridadi

• 88 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:24

Yes Rhodie, Ken and the Guzzi single at Spa. The caption says '54 and that he finnished second to Duke. The Ray Amm shot is at the same meeting. There's no doubt Ray was one of the few guys at that time to be able to get a Manx among the Italian Multis and Guzzis. I think Duke was on record as describing him as somthing like fearless.

Among other things Duke described his riding style as "lurid". His very non=classic, sometimes foot down, style was developed by riding a Manx complete with clip-ons on the dirt at Coro (Coronation) Park.

This is one of the best write-ups on Ray that O have come across. http://www.ozebook.com/amm.htm

#1783 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:46

Originally posted by Maridadi

Among other things Duke described his riding style as "lurid". His very non=classic, sometimes foot down, style was developed by riding a Manx complete with clip-ons on the dirt at Coro (Coronation) Park.

This is one of the best write-ups on Ray that O have come across. http://www.ozebook.com/amm.htm

Hey Maridadi, where you bin? I thought you had forsaken us. :wave:

#1784 Maridadi

Maridadi

• 88 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 13:10

Hey Maridadi, where you bin? I thought you had forsaken us. :wave:

Hey mate, I've been trying to keep my liver functioning while enjoying the company of a bunch of new Rhodie friends here in Florida :D

I've also been trying to gather enough background info to put together an article on Gary for the Classic Motorcycle. If you have any, particularly of an anecdotal nature, would appreciate if you could let me have it.

#1785 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 15:27

The Ian Burne conundrum of a few posts ago, triggered another rider’s name in my head who was also on the Grand Prix trail in the sixties that I am curious about. His name was Maurice Hawthorne who I had always thought was a non-Brit. Further research shows him to have had some respectable results in the senior class (12th West German GP 1964; 18th TT 1966; 6th Finnish GP 1967). He also did a few MGP’s in the early sixties. He is listed in all results as being from Great Britain. Anyone know more about him or his nationality? If he was British, he doesn’t seem to have had much recognition.

#1786 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 15:45

The Ian Burne conundrum of a few posts ago, triggered another rider’s name in my head who was also on the Grand Prix trail in the sixties that I am curious about. His name was Maurice Hawthorne who I had always thought was a non-Brit. Further research shows him to have had some respectable results in the senior class (12th West German GP 1964; 18th TT 1966; 6th Finnish GP 1967). He also did a few MGP’s in the early sixties. He is listed in all results as being from Great Britain. Anyone know more about him or his nationality? If he was British, he doesn’t seem to have had much recognition.

Barry, according to the MotoGP site he raced in the '90 Australian 250cc GP also, quite a long career!

Wonder if he is an Aussie? I've not heard the name before.

Maybe stu/jeff/gd can shed some light on it?

#1787 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 16:48

Always thought he was/is is a Brit, Barry. He raced a Linto in the late sixties. Michel of Pliot Legende fame may have more as he's into tacing Linto's. As you know, there were a number of guys like him in the fifties and sixties, seventies even? - good riders who never really shone at home but earned a living in Europe. Who else would you put in that catergory?

How about Rob Fitton , Vernon Cottle, Lewis Young, Godfrey Nash, later, Jerry Lancaster.......erm, who else ?

#1788 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:04

Indeed there were Russell, and we mentioned many of them in that "La-source" puzzle. Another, if memory serves, was Steve Ellis?

I still have a feeling that Maurice Hawthorne wasn't a Brit though. I'm hoping someone will have the answer!

#1789 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 20:20

Barry, according to the MotoGP site he raced in the '90 Australian 250cc GP also, quite a long career!

Wonder if he is an Aussie? I've not heard the name before.

Maybe stu/jeff/gd can shed some light on it? [/B][/QUOTE]

I have an inkling he may be Canadian...... :

#1790 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:50

Thanks CP. :wave:

Found it Graham. Funny after 20 years it's never where you thought it was.
Not a brilliant image, had to take a pic off it as I haven't got a scanner at home.

Posted Image

#1791 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 23:01

Found it Graham. Funny after 20 years it's never where you thought it was.
Not a brilliant image, had to take a pic off it as I haven't got a scanner at home.

Posted Image

You reckon that was 1975? I dont remember it but I am sure your right, where is that, coming out of the hairpin?

#1792 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 23:19

You reckon that was 1975? I dont remember it but I am sure your right, where is that, coming out of the hairpin?

Inside of the track coming out of the hairpin. Camera pointing to about where you were taking your shot. Is that you against the tree!! :smoking:

#1793 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:53

Inside of the track coming out of the hairpin. Camera pointing to about where you were taking your shot. Is that you against the tree!! :smoking:

:lol: :lol: :lol: No its not me, but I bet he was sick he is looking the wrong way!

#1794 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:22

Indeed there were Russell, and we mentioned many of them in that "La-source" puzzle. Another, if memory serves, was Steve Ellis?

I still have a feeling that Maurice Hawthorne wasn't a Brit though. I'm hoping someone will have the answer!

Barry, I suppose I'm drawing a distinction between the the likes of Driver, Marsovsky, Stevens et al, and reminding us that there was another tier of riders who, although often fronting up at GP's, usually struggled to achieve better than lower midfield places at this level, and somewhat bizzarely, when racing in this counrty too. I would place Hawthorne in this catergory. Other guys would be Aussies Malcolm Stanton, Jack Saunders, Phil O' Brien, and of course, there are others. By the way, Maurice is mentioned in Seeley's latest book around an incident with a stroppy offical at a meeting somewhere - buggered if I can now find it.....and I'm still 99.99 % certain he's one one of our own. ;)

#1795 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:39

Just a quick clarification on the Libero Liberati accident. He remained faithful to Gilera after they quit GP racing in 1957 and raced various Gilera Saturno models. He was riding his 'works' Gilera Saturno on the public road when the accident happened.
Paul

#1796 bonzo

bonzo

• 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 14:36

Maurice is British, home town (I think) is/was Bristol. Draughtsman by profession, present location unknown
Raced many years on the "Continental Circus", reasonable place man, not best known for his immaculate turn-out.
Hope this may help.

#1797 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 14:46

Thanks bonzo and welcome to the site.

#1798 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 19:54

Yes bonzo - welcome and thanks for the info. So as Russell said, Maurice was a Brit after all! I find it amazing (and somewhat sad) how such a travelled GP campaigner, with a bucketfull of stories to tell no doubt, slips under the radar like that. What effort he, and his like, must have put in. Unsung heros or what?

#1799 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 00:27

I know we have milked this picture, but it continues to entertain! I have just been viewing classicpics' excellent picture gallery (enlarge his picture of the rider flying through the air, then click "other images from this user"). Take a look at picture 21 - Mike Duff appears to be on the same bike as our old friend number 50 below (Fred Stevens). Presumably Tom Arter's G50?

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1800 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 17:12

I know we have milked this picture, but it continues to entertain! I have just been viewing classicpics' excellent picture gallery (enlarge his picture of the rider flying through the air, then click "other images from this user"). Take a look at picture 21 - Mike Duff appears to be on the same bike as our old friend number 50 below (Fred Stevens). Presumably Tom Arter's G50?

I knew I´d seen that bike somewhere.

How about a WWW to rescue this tread from the 3rd page. :eek: (that was quick)

Posted Image