Photo

A memorial to Tom Pryce 30 years on?

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#401 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 18:27

A couple more immediately following the unveiling. I am sure Eddie or Bob will be kind enough to let us know who's who. Hope you enjoyed the occasion, Eddie and Bob, we did, thanks :up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, Nella and Tom's Mum, perhaps just quietly contemplating what might have been...

Posted Image

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 11 June 2009 - 18:29.

Advertisement

#402 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 19:25

Worth noting that Kingsley Rob, true to form, arrived one minute AFTER the ceremony began!

I should also mention that the ceremony began about 90 seconds EARLY.

As they say, you do the math!

Great to see Rob, Geoff (DN5) and Speedman 13 but where were the other TNEffers?

Excellent day for me, having managed a long chat with John Watson, a shortish one with Tony Trimmer and even a brief discussion of the chances of the Astons at Le Mans with Dave Richards. And so nice to meet Eddie Knipe too.

And I DO NOT KNOW THAT SHEEP PERSONALLY!

#403 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 19:45

The strangest thing.... when I look at Rob's excellent photos I am amazed to see all the different colours that seem to appear on the plaque.

I really don't think I saw so much variation with my own eyes.

Then I looked at my own photos and there are those same colours again.

I wish I could explain this phemomonen.

#404 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 19:51

And a picture you might not see anywhere else....

Posted Image

Taken, well you can see what time, just before John Watson arrived and before anyone else turned up.

#405 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 20:39

On the 5th March 2007, it will be the 30th anniversary of the untimely death of "Wales' fastest man". Surely it would be a fitting gesture - with permission from Tom's parents and wife, Fenella - to erect a statue in his honour.
He may be gone but he certainly is not forgotten, especially by those who knew him best and loved him.
I have written to the town council in his home town of Ruthin relating to the above. I eagerly await their response.
If anyone knows how I could contact Fenella (remarried surname McCallum) who is now living in France, please email me.
What are the thoughts of other Tom Pryce fans?
Roger Williamson and numerous other F1 aces have statues erected to their honour.
I know that Tom and his wife lived in Otford and later in Ightham in Kent, but surely, Ruthin, his place of birth could honour this true gentleman and role model for our youth.
A statue would not only evoke wonderful memories but also serve as an inspiration to those who visit his memorial.
Tom Pryce - Rest in Peace ..............

Congratulations to all involved on a job well done :up:

#406 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 20:41

Absolutely, well done everyone, especially Eddie. No appearence from Mr.E then??

#407 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 20:42

Worth noting that Kingsley Rob, true to form, arrived one minute AFTER the ceremony began!

I should also mention that the ceremony began about 90 seconds EARLY.

As they say, you do the math!

Excellent day for me, having managed a long chat with John Watson, a shortish one with Tony Trimmer and even a brief discussion of the chances of the Astons at Le Mans with Dave Richards. And so nice to meet Eddie Knipe too.

And I DO NOT KNOW THAT SHEEP PERSONALLY!

For anyone requiring proof that Barry had a long chat with John Watson, here is Wattie immediately afterwards...

Posted Image

And for our Welsh speakers, here is the version on the left hand side of the cast...

Posted Image

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 11 June 2009 - 20:49.

#408 Brynmor

Brynmor

• 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 20:43

My Folks went down as it's just down the road for them. Had an enjoyable time if that's the right phrase to use and couldn't quite get over the detail on the Memorial. Spotted a few faces on the BBC news, even my father doing his best Paparazzi impressions by kneeling at the front...

Edited by Brynmor, 11 June 2009 - 20:44.

#409 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 21:19

Great work Eddie, you achieved a great deal, having watched Tom so often, it brings a lump to my throat to think of what might have been and the pain his parents and Nella endure. Great photos Rob :up:

#410 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 21:39

Congratulations to everyone, especially Eddie. The memorial looks wonderful. Well done! :)

#411 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

• 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 22:16

As a common-or-garden TNF ‘lurker’ who has followed the campaign to create some sort of permanent memorial to Tom Pryce from its earliest days, I just want to offer my congratulations and register my admiration for all those – particularly Eddie Knipe - who have actually made it happen. I have to admit there were times when I thought it wouldn’t happen but the fact it has should make you feel very proud of yourselves. I wish I had your determination! From what I know about Tom, he too had determination by the bucketload and I think the efforts that have been made to realise today’s events are, in a way, just as fitting a testament to both the man and his exploits as the handsome plaque unveiled. Once again, it just goes to show that those who are so often labelled as being ‘forgotten’ are, in fact, anything but.

Thanks! Mike

:clap:

#412 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:30

These types of things will outlast all of us and that is just one reason they are so special.

Speaking from personal experience it is simply amazing the amount of time, effort and resources it takes to put something like this together.

But, it is so very rewarding. Eddie and troops have done a wonderful job.

Henry :wave:

#413 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:15

Tony is seen here having a laugh with Anglesey Circuit's Richard Peacock, who appears to use the same barber shop as Frank Lyons...

Posted Image

Rob,
Brilliant shot of the rampant head covering. :rotfl:
I spoke to Richard last night and one happening yesterday has left him chuckling still.

Scene One.
Richard chatting with John Watson.
Scene Two.
Bloke appears and says "Excuse me Richard, can I have your autograph please?"
Bloke gets autograph and leaves. Wattie was totally ignored.
:smoking:

#414 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 13:02

Congratulations to all concerned.

For anyone requiring proof that Barry had a long chat with John Watson, here is Wattie immediately afterwards...

Can you please post another Wattie photo?

Lutz

#415 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 15:40

Hello

A BIG BIG thank you to all that made the day happen.

I was lucky to get a VIP ticket to the event which explains why I was waring a suit on a day off.

I did take a few photos and a video of the unveiling which I will try and share - certainly at the Baldock reunion!

After lunch I went back to the castle and was able to have a quick chat with Nella and Tony Southgate.

Geoff

Edited by DN5, 12 June 2009 - 15:41.

#416 bobbuild

bobbuild

• 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 18:14

As one of the Trust members based in Ruthin it is gratifying to see how much pleasure the completion of Tom's Memorial has brought to so many of his friends, family and fans.

Over the last few weeks it has increasingly occupied my mind (and time) with daily visits turning into 2 or 3 visits a day! We finished the site with a day to spare, which I think was cutting it as fine as we dared. There is still one final job to be completed and that is the insertion of recessed lighting below the slate plaques and the main bronze plaque. These are very swish LED fittings which unfortunately just could not be obtained in the timescale we had to work within. Once fitted I will post some photos on the forum (won't be until mid-July as I'm off on holiday at the end of June).

Great to meet some of the faces behind the handles/usernames especially DN5 - nice to meet you Geoff - and of course Eddie, good to see you again.

You may all think that the Trust's work is now complete, how wrong could you be. Remember the website that we used to auction the tickets, www.tomprycememorial.com? Well we are going to take it down, redesign it with the story of the creation of the Memorial and the history of Tom's career and relaunch it as a permanent "signpost" to the Memorial. So if anyone has digital material that you are prepared to let us use please let me know through this forum.

The Trust members will be meeting again in September to finalise details.

Don't know what I'm going to do with my time now.....

Thank you to you all for your unstinting support, you see it CAN BE DONE!

Bob

#417 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 18:42

You are not called bobbuild for nothing! Well done; a fantastic achievement, Bob! :up:

Can anyone who was there complete a list of motorsport personalities in attendance?

So far, I've picked up on Dave Richards, John Watson, Tony Southgate, Tony Trimmer, Richard Peacock, Chris Meek. I'm sure there are more to be added.

#418 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 21:26

:clap: :clap: To Murray, Bob, Cledwyn, David and all the other trust members in Ruthin and elsewhere who worked so hard to make this day happen - I am so glad that I made it to Ruthin for the unveiling ceremony! Congratulations! To you guys - you did all the spade-work and deserve special accolades. I know that is not what you want; you did it because you all had a special affinity to and a respect for Tom.
It was a super day and the rain that threatened the previous day never materialised.
Seeing Nella and Mrs Pryce's obvious delight at the ceremony was a particularly special moment. There were so many locals in the audience at the ceremony and they too will no doubt be very, very proud of this memorial. It stands in a prominent place in this beautiful little village and a reminder to all of a favourite son.
The way so many of the shops in the village 'jumped on board' and had pictures of Tom and chequered flags on display in their windows was really also brilliant! Well done to the people of Ruthin!

Photos have been uploaded to: http://fiveblackstripes.multiply.com/

There are more on this website: http://www.sutton-images.com/

:up: Thank you to ALL who made this such a special day!!

Edited by Eddie Knipe, 12 June 2009 - 22:18.

#419 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:23

Congratulations to all concerned.

Can you please post another Wattie photo?

Lutz

Hi Lutz, I am afraid I failed to get a photo of Wattie that showed him in his best light. This is the best one, with my apologies (to him and to you). I sometimes feel a little uncomfortable posting candid shots and wouldn't have put this on if you hadn't have asked.

John was a popular choice for a chat by a number of the crowd and was very approachable and friendly, very nice to see him there. :up:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#420 FerrariFanDL

FerrariFanDL

• 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 15:24

Wow, Tom really looks like his mother!

#421 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 22:04

Having missed the opening ceremony on Thursday I managed to pop in on Friday en route to Anglesey.

The Memorial was fabulous - congratulations to one and all. I took some pics and will post some of them tomorrow. Whilst I was there a young family wandered up. The two young boys were fascinated and I had a chat with their parents about the memorial and Tom. They were totally oblivious to this slice of history but were delighted that a son of Ruthin had been honoured in this way.

:wave:

#422 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:35

Been away since Wednesday, I have just seen all the text and pictures.

Absolutely superb :)

All those involved should be immensely proud of themselves.......Thank you

PAR

#423 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:51

The following were taken on Friday 12th June.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#424 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:55

A chat with Neil. the sculptor, revealed that Tom has actually had a hair cut as per his mother's wishes.

Geoff

#425 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 13:39

What is the meaning of the words written horizontally below the sculpture?

#426 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:39

Hard to translate literally, as many languages are but this is the gist:

HE BEAT THE BEST WITHOUT FORGETTING HIS ROOTS

#427 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:12

Hard to translate literally, as many languages are but this is the gist:

HE BEAT THE BEST WITHOUT FORGETTING HIS ROOTS

Thank you, Barry.

A nice touch and surely the young boys AND girls from that town (and the world over) can learn a moral lesson from it as well.

#428 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:47

As one of the Trust members based in Ruthin it is gratifying to see how much pleasure the completion of Tom's Memorial has brought to so many of his friends, family and fans.

Over the last few weeks it has increasingly occupied my mind (and time) with daily visits turning into 2 or 3 visits a day! We finished the site with a day to spare, which I think was cutting it as fine as we dared. There is still one final job to be completed and that is the insertion of recessed lighting below the slate plaques and the main bronze plaque. These are very swish LED fittings which unfortunately just could not be obtained in the timescale we had to work within. Once fitted I will post some photos on the forum (won't be until mid-July as I'm off on holiday at the end of June).

Great to meet some of the faces behind the handles/usernames especially DN5 - nice to meet you Geoff - and of course Eddie, good to see you again.

You may all think that the Trust's work is now complete, how wrong could you be. Remember the website that we used to auction the tickets, www.tomprycememorial.com? Well we are going to take it down, redesign it with the story of the creation of the Memorial and the history of Tom's career and relaunch it as a permanent "signpost" to the Memorial. So if anyone has digital material that you are prepared to let us use please let me know through this forum.

The Trust members will be meeting again in September to finalise details.

Don't know what I'm going to do with my time now.....

Thank you to you all for your unstinting support, you see it CAN BE DONE!

Bob

Those that visit when no one else is present will find a special feeling like none other!

#429 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:32

Those that visit when no one else is present will find a special feeling like none other!

There was an air of quiet contemplation and reverance when I visited on Friday. People passing fell silent and stood looking at the plaques before moving on. It was especially noticeable that the youngsters of Ruthin also respected the memorial.

#430 bobbuild

bobbuild

• 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 22:19

You are not called bobbuild for nothing! Well done; a fantastic achievement, Bob! :up:

Can anyone who was there complete a list of motorsport personalities in attendance?

So far, I've picked up on Dave Richards, John Watson, Tony Southgate, Tony Trimmer, Richard Peacock, Chris Meek. I'm sure there are more to be added.

There were a number of motorsport journalists, the only one whose name I have is David Tremayne and I believe Richard Parry-Jones was also present. Unfortunately one of our "star" guests cried off by email at 6am on the morning of the unveiling due to pressure of work - one Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

#431 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 23:23

There was a certain amount of discussion as to whether or not BCE would attend. Our feeling was... he wouldn't!

#432 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:30

Hi Lutz, I am afraid I failed to get a photo of Wattie that showed him in his best light. This is the best one, with my apologies (to him and to you). I sometimes feel a little uncomfortable posting candid shots and wouldn't have put this on if you hadn't have asked.

John was a popular choice for a chat by a number of the crowd and was very approachable and friendly, very nice to see him there. :up:

Thanks for posting, Rob! :wave:

Lutz

#433 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 18:37

Just received an email from Alun Jones - Tom's uncle - included was two photos of Tom taken at the 1975 German GP at Nurburgring. These photos were presented to Jack and Gwyneth Pryce by the Shadow team. They have pride of place in Gwyneth's home.

I have placed them on my website: Visit My Website

I have also included a YouTube clip of Tom Pryce on the starting grid at Monte Carlo (1975):

Nurburgring 1975:
(1 of 5)
(2 of 5)
(3 of 5)
(4 of 5)
(5 of 5)

When I get back from South Africa at the end of August I will attempt to put some visuals up on this forum from the unveiling of the Tom Pryce Memorial in Ruthin kindly sent to me by DN5.

Best wishes to all who have contributed to this thread in the past and in so doing, kept the memory of Tom Pryce alive. You have all indirectly (and some directly) made it all possible!

Edited by Eddie Knipe, 12 July 2009 - 19:42.

#434 Octagon

Octagon

• 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 15:24

On the 5th March 2007, it will be the 30th anniversary of the untimely death of "Wales' fastest man". Surely it would be a fitting gesture - with permission from Tom's parents and wife, Fenella - to erect a statue in his honour.
He may be gone but he certainly is not forgotten, especially by those who knew him best and loved him.
I have written to the town council in his home town of Ruthin relating to the above. I eagerly await their response.
If anyone knows how I could contact Fenella (remarried surname McCallum) who is now living in France, please email me.
What are the thoughts of other Tom Pryce fans?
Roger Williamson and numerous other F1 aces have statues erected to their honour.
I know that Tom and his wife lived in Otford and later in Ightham in Kent, but surely, Ruthin, his place of birth could honour this true gentleman and role model for our youth.
A statue would not only evoke wonderful memories but also serve as an inspiration to those who visit his memorial.
Tom Pryce - Rest in Peace ..............

Hi Eddie - I'm writing an illustrated children's book on Welsh racing heroes. Parry Thomas, Robin Jac, Gwyndaf Evans, and of course, Tom Pryce.

His racing achievements are easy to come by but I desperately need info on his early life - can you help. Any anecdotal material would be most welcome.

You may check my bona fides by going to www.robinlawrie.co.uk

Thanks

Robin Lawrie

#435 Octagon

Octagon

• 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 15:36

Hello

A BIG BIG thank you to all that made the day happen.

I was lucky to get a VIP ticket to the event which explains why I was waring a suit on a day off.

I did take a few photos and a video of the unveiling which I will try and share - certainly at the Baldock reunion!

After lunch I went back to the castle and was able to have a quick chat with Nella and Tony Southgate.

Geoff

Hi - I'm writing and illustrating a children's book which will be published in Welsh about Welsh racing heroes, Parry Thomas, Robin Jac, Gwyndaf Evans and of course Tom Pryce. Records of his racing career are easy to come by but what I really need are anecdotes of his early life, why he became a racing driver, etc. Could you help me on this or put me on to someone who could?

Thanks, in anticipation

Robin Lawrie

#436 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 15:42

Hi - I'm writing and illustrating a children's book which will be published in Welsh about Welsh racing heroes, Parry Thomas, Robin Jac, Gwyndaf Evans and of course Tom Pryce. Records of his racing career are easy to come by but what I really need are anecdotes of his early life, why he became a racing driver, etc. Could you help me on this or put me on to someone who could?

Thanks, in anticipation

Robin Lawrie

You might want to have a read of this book - The Lost Generation. It contains a lot about Tom's life.

#437 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:05

You might want to have a read of this book - The Lost Generation. It contains a lot about Tom's life.

Hi Robin,

All the very best with your venture - I unfortunately cannot throw much light on Tom's young days in the Vale of Clwyd but perhaps you could drop Bob Costain a line addressed to the Ruthin Castle Hotel in Ruthin. He could possibly put you in touch with Cledwyn Ashford as well as Tom's best man at his wedding to Nella, Trefor Williams (and best friend).
Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress. I am sure that a lot of people will take a keen interest in your intended children's book.

Best wishes
Eddie

#438 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 21:44

Robin, will your book be produced in yr iaith Cymraeg?

#439 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 17:40

Nice to see a picture of the memorial opening in the paperback version of The Lost Generation.

Geoff

Advertisement

#440 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:39

It was with much sadness that I today heard of the passing of Tom Pryce's mother. She succumbed to cancer in the Ruthin Cottage Hospital on Saturday night at 7.45pm. This delightful and resilient woman was so proud at the unveiling of her beloved son, Tom's memorial on the 11th June this year. My condolences to all the family and friends of the Pryce family. Now united with Jack and Tom. RIP Gwyn.

Edited by Eddie Knipe, 19 October 2009 - 10:43.

#441 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:30

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm glad though that she lived to see the unveiling of Tom's memorial.

Rest In Peace Gwyneth.

#442 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:38

Very sad news indeed.

Tom's Monaco F3 winning March 743 was present at Silverstone on Saturday.

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2009-10-19

#443 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 18:51

A very merry Christmas and a prosperous new year wished upon all the good folk of Ruthin and surrounds; the many and varied contributors/contributions to the Tom Pryce Memorial Fund; the Trust Members who worked so admirably to see the memorial reach fruition and all Tom Pryce fans around the world ...
Posted Image
Neil Dalrymple's creation ...
Posted Image
The late Mrs Gwyneth Pryce and Nella Pryce photographed standing in front of the memorial in June 2009

Edited by Eddie Knipe, 12 December 2009 - 18:53.

#444 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:51

Visit My Website

Visit My Website

Tomas Denis Calvagni has posted two new tribute videos dedicated Tom Pryce - well worth a viewing.

#445 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 17:18

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2010-05-14

Photo by Bernard Cahier. From the Sidney Taylor collection.

#446 JWR

JWR

• 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:44

Hello,

As a former part-time motorsport hack and current BBC Wales content producer – I have spent many a year striving to get as much Tom Pryce related content onto BBC platforms as his story and legacy is criminally under exposed.

So, if you are interested, click the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk...astest_man.html

The text is nothing new to those who know about Pryce, however the video is pretty rare and may be of interest to some.

What also may be of interest is that this Friday 30 July, BBC Wales are repeating a 2005 radio documentary about Tom, that I worked on, called 'Wales' Fastest Man'.

It goes out at 6.30pm on Radio Wales and will be on iPlayer. It features John Watson, David Tremayne, Dave Richards amongst others and, again, may be of interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00t6872

J

#447 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 20:55

Thank you for the link.

The first video was well worth checking out.

Geoff

#448 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:06

As i watched the video i realised that i'd never heard Tom speak. Thanks for the link.

#449 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:33

I don't think I have heard Tom's voice for ages. I first recall hearing it iwhen he joined the commentary booth for the F5000 race on the Saturday before the Race of Champions.

Geoff

#450 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:02

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2010-07-27

Photo by Bernard Cahier. From the Sidney Taylor collection.