Photo

A GPL photo album for Christmas

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 16:32

Belated random B&W pix from The GP Library for TNFers to pass some time this Festive season...

(These would have been here earlier if the old TNF contributors' website system still worked as well as it once did...but thanks Stu/Twin Window for helping post these images - and thanks to DSJ who died 10 years ago, and to Geoff who passed away earlier this year, for preserving such material for us)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
12B

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any thoughts, anyone, on the whos, whats, wheres and whys of any or all of the above? Some are patently b------ obvious, but I just like the shot in any case...while one or two are very rare indeed...

All Photos are from The GP Library/GPL

And Best Wishes for a Very Happy, Enjoyable, Fulfilling and Safe New Year.

DCN

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 16:40

I definitely want a time machine as my gift for next Christmas!

#3 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 17:34

Pictures 3 & 6 are from Reims/Gueux (start) and Gueux village (Gueux church).

#4 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 19:09

# 6 - Coupe des Petites Cylindrées at Reims on July 18, 1948, with Ferdinando Righetti and his Ferrari 166SC. He finished 2nd.

# 9 - Coupe René le Bègue at Saint Cloud on June 9, 1946, with Sommer's Maserati on pole, beside of the Wimille's Alfa Romeo....

# 14 - Circuito di Pescara on August 15, 1954, with Manzon/Rosier/Swaters's Ferraris, and the Musso's winning Maserati.

# 16 - Buenos Aires GP on February 5, 1956, with the winner JM. Fangio and his Lancia-Ferrari D50.

Thanks Doug ! :up:

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 19:33

#1 1924 GP de l'ACF at Tours? Segrave's Sunbeam?

#4 is the 1934 TT at Ards. Can't be earlier (no riding mechanic). Cars are the Frazer Nashes of PM Thompson and Neil Berry. Thompson was 15th overall, Berry 17th and last.

#12B Tourist Trophy Garage, Farnham :)

#8 Chimay 1946? Legat and Bira on the front row?

#6 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 19:41

#15 Albert Divo at Monthlery in his Delage for the 1925 GP ACF Vitesse

#7 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 20:16

I agree with 12B vitesse, however is that JMH in a Riley driving into the forecourt?

#8 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 20:21

#11 Grand Prix de Pau 1961. Lucien Bianchi Emeryson.

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 20:25

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
I agree with 12B vitesse, however is that JMH in a Riley driving into the forecourt?

Could very well be.

#10 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 20:58

Not his Alfa Romeo 8C ??

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 21:08

#3 start of the 1949 GP of France at Reims

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 21:31

Originally posted by starlet

Not his Alfa Romeo 8C ??

Definitely his Alfa 8C

Thanks for the photos, Doug.

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 21:35

#16 JM Fangio in the Ferrari-Lancia D50 (first phase modified) at the Argentina GP of 1956 (22 Jan)

#14 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 21:56

No 16 - Might there be an alternative to Fangio having been photographed in this particular car during the Argentine GP...

DCN

#15 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 22:03

De Portago (not entered)?? Or did Collins drive a few laps in the retired #30 of Fangio? Its not Musso who had yellow helmet/shirt.

#16 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:43

Originally posted by Vitesse2
#1 1924 GP de l'ACF at Tours? Segrave's Sunbeam?

Lyon/Givors not Tours - hairpin at Les Sept-Chemins.

No. 2 is also a view towards the hairpin at Les Sept-Chemins, from the famous "Esses".

#17 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:59

Looking back from such a distance in time how much more interesting a photo is when the image of the car is small and there is a great deal of detailed background , particually those taken from high level, unusual and fascinating photographs especially town and street scenes thanks.

#18 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:25

5 Baird Ferrari ?
11 Emeryson , ENB , Pau 61 Gendebien or Bianchi

#19 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 15:26

Fangio is winning the Buenos Aires Grand Prix but racing at the Mendoza Autodrome, 600 miles far away from Buenos Aires. In that very same place there is today a football stadium, the one opened for the 1978 World Cup.

Advertisement

#20 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 17:00

Are you sure picture #16 was taken at Buenos Aires ?? I can´t identify properly the turn because there were no hills in the vicinity of this track, not even today. :confused:

#21 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 17:04

Arturo, please see the post before yours. ¡It's Mendoza!

#22 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 17:42

Number 10 is the one that is hurting my already festive-season-compromised brain.

Well it's upside down in what looks like the Goodwood infield although those hay bales look a bit French to me....

It could be a single-seater but more likely a spaceframe sports car devoid of it's bodywork. The wires are presumably Borranis but seem to hide large ventilated drums. The bold advertising suggests 60s more than 50s (I presume the word is "racing") but it's all the more complicated as the car already seems to be partly covered by a "body bag".

Then there's that seat/bulkhead in the middle of the photo, is that the Raiffeisenkasse emblem as featured on Niki Lauda's helmet ?

In a word I haven't a clue.... :

#23 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 18:19

Originally posted by Pablo Vignone
Arturo, please see the post before yours. ¡It's Mendoza!

Ah, ok !! :drunk: Thank you Pablo :up:

#24 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 18:28

Mendoza indeed - but no thoughts yet anyone on No 7.....?????

DCN

#25 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 18:51

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
5 Baird Ferrari ?

You are right.
This photograph shows the first Ferrari to compete in the Tourist Trophy races.
It was in 1951, with the 212 Export driven by R. Baird and J. Lucas. They finished 6th.

#26 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 19:44

Doug

No 7. Could it be Mario Mazzacurati with his Maserati in South Africa during the Gold City Handicap on the Lord Howe Circuit on the 1st January, 1940?

John

#27 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 20:29

Number 2. is it at Brooklands during its construction, with the river Wey in the bottom, and a local gamekeeper, plus bag, looking down?

Roger Lund.

#28 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 21:32

Originally posted by humphries
Doug

No 7. Could it be Mario Mazzacurati with his Maserati in South Africa during the Gold City Handicap on the Lord Howe Circuit on the 1st January, 1940?

John

Nice thought. It 'could be' but is that a Maserati rear end, and there are other possibilities south of Aberdeen...

DCN

#29 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 21:39

Originally posted by bill moffat
Number 10 is the one that is hurting my already festive-season-compromised brain.

Well it's upside down in what looks like the Goodwood infield although those hay bales look a bit French to me....

Good call Bill - I admire a bloke who knows his hay... Focus upon a car from a seldom mentioned Italian marque.

DCN

#30 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 21:48

Originally posted by bradbury west
Number 2. is it at Brooklands during its construction, with the river Wey in the bottom, and a local gamekeeper, plus bag, looking down?

Roger Lund.

Roger - grandstand area already visible in the distance there...see Robert's perceptive post above. The fourche at Les Sept Chemins lies at the junction of the return straight and the pits straight beyond the furthest infield coppice. These lovely landscape shots - which rather lose their impact in this small size - do indeed record the GP de l'ACF scene at Lyons-Givors, 1924. Last time I visited the circuit, the apex building at the old fourche was still standing, a hauntingly atmospheric sight for anyone who could picture the GP Mercedes, the Peugeots, the Alfa P2s, the Sunbeams slewing around it, and hammering away into another lap...

I have always thought that the kind of scene captured in pic 1 would make a wonderful diorama subject for a keen motor racing model maker.

DCN

#31 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 22:15

#12 looks like (the still-living) Hans Ruesch's Alfa 8C-35 (later owned by Dennis Poore) at the Sydenham Trophy at Crystal Palace in May 1939.

#32 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 22:24

No 10 would it be a De Tomaso?
The wrap would tend to indicate a fairly serious accident, and the wording would appear to be on the car not the wrap -

#33 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 22:25

Surely 7 an Alfa Romeo in Australia?
Saywell's tipo B at the 1939 Australian GP?

#34 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 00:13

Originally posted by RTH
Looking back from such a distance in time how much more interesting a photo is when the image of the car is small and there is a great deal of detailed background , particually those taken from high level, unusual and fascinating photographs especially town and street scenes thanks.

Doug, mea culpa regarding no 2. I missed Robert's post altogether.

Richard's comment above reminds me of something which I read about Geoff Goddard. As I recall it, he had a "thing" about picture editors who would crop , often quite mercilessly, a very good shot showing the car/s in a very full scene, c/w appropriate background, which invariably "made" the shot so attractive and meaningful, just so they could get a supposedly better view of the car. How often we see that sort of glossy shot these days in the magazines..............

Roger

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,223 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:33

Originally posted by alessandro silva
Surely 7 an Alfa Romeo in Australia?
Saywell's tipo B at the 1939 Australian GP?

A good call... perhaps?

Never seen a photo of the pits at Lobethal (no, not ever!), so I can't confirm.

#36 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:13

I have always thought that the kind of scene captured in pic 1 would make a wonderful diorama subject for a keen motor racing model maker.

DCN [/B]

Here are some dioramas that are quite good. Check out all 3 pages...

http://www.modelfoxb...it/diorami1.htm

#37 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:48

#10 The logo on the side looks like a Burano from "the racers" movie.

#38 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:48

In a word I haven't a clue.... :

Not hay bales, but wheat stooks, so reaper & binder, late 50's, -my first farm job, that aside, front engined, twin exhaust pipes, drum brakes and Clue 1 was seldom mentioned Italian marque , I am out of my depth here, but I find this one fascinating!

#39 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:12

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes

Not hay bales, but wheat stooks, so reaper & binder, late 50's, -my first farm job, that aside, front engined, twin exhaust pipes, drum brakes and Clue 1 was seldom mentioned Italian marque , I am out of my depth here, but I find this one fascinating!

Well I reckon OSCA is somewhere above "seldom-mentioned" so how about a Moretti ?

Advertisement

#40 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:58

Number 10 still has me wondering why the car would be lying there wrapped in such a way -I was wrong about the banner having looked a bit closer. Some effort has gone into wrapping that car, and it looks like cables to wrap it.
Its not a Stanguellini or similar being used in a film set is it? It almost looks like its been wrapped ready to be unravelled and the film reversed to create a roll over

#41 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:08

:cool:

#42 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:11

Could number 7 be Jack Saywell's Alfa facing the wrong way at Bathurst, Easter 39?

#43 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 21:38

Well I reckon OSCA is somewhere above "seldom-mentioned" so how about a Moretti ?

OK so that didn't get a rapturous round of appaluse, and I've looked at things like Volpini and Cisitalia,
Huw suggests why has it been wrapped, and Doug answers with :cool:, that would suggest that he is getting warmer, could it be in France in the 60's perhaps?

BT35-8 is calling in shortly, but he'll be no damn use either, time to talk to my friend google..........

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,223 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 22:22

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Could number 7 be Jack Saywell's Alfa facing the wrong way at Bathurst, Easter 39?

No, not really at all like Bathurst...

It does look 'Lobethal' and it does look like a Norman Howard picture. It has me somewhat bewildered.

Where is it? If there was a 'racing pits' setup just before the Mt Torrens Corner, this would make sense. But it would mean people crossing the road during the race, as the start was up the side road from that corner, directly opposite. And I'm sure the main paddock area was up that road. Or I was sure!

#45 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 23:18

Originally posted by Catalina Park

Yes Cat, and Ray, and especially Alessandro who mentioned Saywell first - the original for No 7 is captioned as being "Jack Saywell's Alfa, Lobethal...question mark..."

No 10 - Rudi was first to mention the magic/mythical name 'Burano' - this photo shows one of the slightly tricked-up elderly Maseratis up-ended ready for further shooting at Reims during the making of 'Such Men Are Dangerous'/'The Racers' with Kirk Douglas gritting his teeth and generally heroicking...

For the other shots it is indeed Ruesch's big, beautiful Alfa 8C-35 at Crystal Palace, it is the TT at Ards with the 'Nashes gnashing, it is the bridge at Pau, it is the first postwar GP des Frontieres at Chimay and yes it is not only the Hawthorn family's 8C-2300 driving onto the forecourt of their TT Garage business here in Farnham but that is Mike himself driving it. While the garage buildings pictured have been/are being altered virtually beyond recognition, the bay-fronted shop-cum-office building beyond still exists and remains instantly reocgnisable.

The shot of Divo in the GP Delage rwith its exquisitely engine-turned bodywork really is stunning, but I hestitate to reproduce it here large enough for the car's full beauty to be appreciated 'cos it would take hours to load. At that time Louis Delage still insisted that his company's competition cars should demonstrate the most glitzy standard of external finish, matching what he wanted his road car customers to believe they could expect when they purchased Delages. Into the reign of the straight-8 cars in 1926-27 this insistence by Le Patron was allowed to slip...and aesthetically his GP team cars became far more utilitarian.

DCN

#46 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 18:40

Doug
Sorry to butt in but I've tried to PM you but your mailbox is full and needs clearing out (it says).
Paul

#47 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 19:37

Thanks Doug for this nice X-mas album. :up:

#48 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 22:50

Only just noticed this Holiday extrava

Number 7 is Jack Saywell and 2.9 Alfa at AGP Lobethal 1939, helmeted driver on the left and almost certainly Jock Finlayson with his back to the photographer. The clothing is interesting, on a day when the temperature easily exceeded 102 degrees F