Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10099 replies to this topic

#3001 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:57

It looks the same as the one above...

I don't know about any 'old' or 'new' versions. Are there no pictures of the 250LM showing the logo? Come to think of it, when the Ferrari was new, AMS had a centrefold pic of it, didn't it? Did that also have the logo printed up separately (along with a Shell logo)? This would be the February or March 1965 issue.

Advertisement

#3002 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:21

I ten to agree with TW - in his photos the banner seems much longer in relation to the shield

#3003 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:10

Originally posted by David McKinney
I ten to agree with TW - in his photos the banner seems much longer in relation to the shield

That's because only the white part of the shield shows up against the car's colour.

#3004 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:25

Doh :blush:

#3005 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:48

Following numerous spurious allegations, I have commissioned an investigation into the character known as Stan Patterson and can now report as follows:

The first authenticated sighting of the chap was in a minor part in the film "ON THE BEACH", in which he played the role of a disgruntled member of the "Stuffiest Club in the Commonwealth" complaining about how could the Wine Committee be so stupid as to allow several hundred bottles of vintage port to be purchased when they knew the human race was to expire before it could possibly consumed.!!!! - an utter disgrace!..Stan called for the committee's resignation ...bad show

The next verifiable sighting is in Sports Car World circa March 1964 (letters to the editor) - or thereabouts - whed he complained in the journal about the Sydney-centric bias towards Frank Matich, at the expense of the current champion Bib Stillwell . ...spot on at the time........Ray...given your Matich-esque feelings, you may be able to help here.

It can now revealed we have discovered that, in a letter to the editor of Motor Sport in March 1980 Stan, using another ridiculous pseudonym, wrote, Nostrodamus-like, about the future of Australian motor sport.

History has shown his point is unanswerable

Derek
I drive a Rover P5B & Rover 100

#3006 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,667 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:53

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
Following numerous spurious allegations, I have commissioned an investigation into the character known as Stan Patterson and can now report as follows:

The first authenticated sighting of the chap was in a minor part in the film "ON THE BEACH", in which he played the role of a disgruntled member of the "Stuffiest Club in the Commonwealth" complaining about how could the Wine Committee be so stupid as to allow several hundred bottles of vintage port to be purchased when they knew the human race was to expire before it could possibly consumed.!!!! - an utter disgrace!..Stan called for the committee's resignation ...bad show

The next verifiable sighting is in Sports Car World circa March 1964 (letters to the editor) - or thereabouts - whed he complained in the journal about the Sydney-centric bias towards Frank Matich, at the expense of the current champion Bib Stillwell . ...spot on at the time........Ray...given your Matich-esque feelings, you may be able to help here.

It can now revealed we have discovered that, in a letter to the editor of Motor Sport in March 1980 Stan, using another ridiculous pseudonym, wrote, Nostrodamus-like, about the future of Australian motor sport.

History has shown his point is unanswerable

Derek
I drive a Rover P5B & Rover 100

do you live in Clifton Hill?

#3007 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 143 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:31

I have really enjoyed spending the last couple of days on reading through this forum. I am going to try posting my relevant photos of Kalorama, Maldon etc and talk to dad regarding his wishes for his negs i scanned, and then I'ld love your help with things like Albert Park when the Cooper Bristol wore 11, the 250f - 2 and the Ferrari 555(?) - 4, ( names? ) and Ernie Tadgell's special number 15 - what day of what year ?, and was that 203 Bob Holden's? etc., etc. ? we have programme but not the right ones, it seems ...
steven
ps, just got here and miss stan already...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3008 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 15:09

A good start, Steven
Looking forward to more :up:

#3009 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:02

Originally posted by fnqvmuch
[B]I have really enjoyed spending the last couple of days on reading through this forum. I am going to try posting my relevant photos of Kalorama, Maldon etc and talk to dad regarding his wishes for his negs i scanned, and then I'ld love your help with things like Albert Park when the Cooper Bristol wore 11, the 250f - 2 and the Ferrari 555(?) - 4, ( names? ) and Ernie Tadgell's special number 15 - what day of what year ?, and was that 203 Bob Holden's? etc., etc. ? we have programme but not the right ones, it seems ...
steven
ps, just got here and miss stan already...

fnqvmuch (Steven),

I'd say the Albert Park photos your trying to identify are from either of the March 1957 meetings. Day 1 March 17th or Day 2 - March 24th.

#11 Cooper Bristol Len Lukey
#2 Maserati 250F Stan Jones
#4 Ferrari Lex Davison

#15 Porsche Special Ern Tadgell (entered by Norman Hamilton)

If the Peugeot is #11 it will be Bob Holden, if #12 probably W H (Bill?) Wilcox.

If the #2 250F is an early model 250F, then it will probably be Reg Hunt from the March 1956 events. Day 1 - March 11th or Day 2 March 18th.

Hope this helps

Stephen

#3010 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 143 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:52

Well here is one as discussed, to be going on with - i appropriated this one for myself long ago.
It looks like a learning curve coming up for which i'm going much too fast - because its not like Mac software, so if any one can recommend alternatives ...
There were some large format negs (120? - with no notes) and a few 35mm but these are single frames, and don't always correspond to the notes they were once mounted with, so thanks Stephen that will help.
Also mixed in are Fishermans Bend ones as well; a wide of paddock XK-120#40 in foreground, single shots / details Talbot-Lago #3, MM-Holden #50, MG K3 rego no GJP 820 # 67, and a new looking MGA rego no GLO 000,unnumbered but parked up in #56's spot, Cooper-Jaguar rego no GLP 333 numbered 4 in the second shot, a TC Special LSD 662 #60, a HWM open wheeler, a much admired A-H 100 GKE 008 #43, Triumph Special #52, Coopers #21 and 8, and in the parking a Bugatti apparently straight but for right-rear cycle-guard missing (2 Standard utes and a lairy Vauxhall in b/g),. Circulating but too-wide shots; A-H #27, the Cooper-Jag, an XK and a Sunbeam #89.
I'll itemise the Albert Park ones later ... meanwhile - the 250f has the wide bonnet and closed fairing over carbies - ? Posted Image

#3011 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 14:10

Looking good! It's fabulous what has been emerging from hiding.

(You can reduce file sizes but keep the same image sizes on scans of b+w prints by converting them to grey scale, or scanning them as grey scale in the first instance.)

#3012 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:02

Originally posted by fnqvmuch
[B]Well here is one as discussed, to be going on with - i appropriated this one for myself long ago.
It looks like a learning curve coming up for which i'm going much too fast - because its not like Mac software, so if any one can recommend alternatives ...
There were some large format negs (120? - with no notes) and a few 35mm but these are single frames, and don't always correspond to the notes they were once mounted with, so thanks Stephen that will help.
Also mixed in are Fishermans Bend ones as well; a wide of paddock XK-120#40 in foreground, single shots / details Talbot-Lago #3, MM-Holden #50, MG K3 rego no GJP 820 # 67, and a new looking MGA rego no GLO 000,unnumbered but parked up in #56's spot, Cooper-Jaguar rego no GLP 333 numbered 4 in the second shot, a TC Special LSD 662 #60, a HWM open wheeler, a much admired A-H 100 GKE 008 #43, Triumph Special #52, Coopers #21 and 8, and in the parking a Bugatti apparently straight but for right-rear cycle-guard missing (2 Standard utes and a lairy Vauxhall in b/g),. Circulating but too-wide shots; A-H #27, the Cooper-Jag, an XK and a Sunbeam #89.
I'll itemise the Albert Park ones later ... meanwhile - the 250f has the wide bonnet and closed fairing over carbies - ?

Steven,

Now this is a test... but seems like that most of the Fishermen's Bend photos you have are from the February 11th/12th, 1956 meeting. Some of the cars I can id are as follows.

#4 Cooper-Jaguar will be the ex Peter Whitehead car, at this meeting Stan Jones owned and ran this car.
#? HWM open wheeler - Lex Davison.
#3 Lago-Talbot - Doug Whiteford.
#50 MM Holden (the open-wheeler version) - Jim Leech.
#89 Sunbeam - C Martyr

Sounds like the #2 Maserati 250F at Albert Park is Stan Jones March 1957 mount.

Stephen

#3013 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 14:20

#43 is an Austin Healey 100S chassis AHS3907, owned by Austin Distributors and probably driven by the MD Jeff Brotherton.

#3014 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:40

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fnqvmuch
[B]Well here is one as discussed, to be going on with - i appropriated this one for myself long ago.
I'll itemise the Albert Park ones later ... meanwhile - the 250f has the wide bonnet and closed fairing over carbies - ? QUOTE]

Steven (fnqvmuch),

A bit more digging reveals that the MG K3 you mention registered GJP 820, is possibly an ex Tazio Nuvolari MG factory team car. By the early 1950's it was owned by John Sawyer, who would make his name preparing racing cars for Bob Jane. By the Feb 11/12, 1956 Fishermen's Bend meeting it was owned by Graham Nankervis (who had purchased it just over 2 weeks prior). So it was probably him competing in it at 'the Bend'.

Stephen

#3015 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:16

Don't think there's much likelihood Nuvolari had anything to do with that particular MG K3. It was apparently the 1933 Mille Miglia recce car.
And without wishing to be too much of a nit-picker, I would have thought John Sawyer was fairly well-known before he joined Jane. Didn't he work for Stan Jones or the Maybach or both?

#3016 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 00:28

Well-known? Yes... but had he 'made his name' before joining Jane? A moot point...

John Sawyer worked under Otto Stone when he was with Stan Jones... they are all together here in this Phillip Island photo:

Posted Image

There you have Stan, happy after winning the Gold Star, Otto Stone shaking his hand as the chief mechanic and John Sawyer behind a very youthful Alan Jones. I have an idea that John worked with Allan Ashton too, though that might be a fanciful thought. Nevertheless, he was the second-string man, not the head spanner.

When Jane had the 300S he employed Sawyer full time to tend it, having had so much Maserati experience with Jones, and probably do some work at the car yard too. The Jaguar soon followed and John was very much a part of its development after Harry Firth started getting things under way.

#3017 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,667 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:59

To think about 10 years latter Stan would be dead due to his life style,must of been some boy.

#3018 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:35

Hi all I have been trawling through this thread after some information on the Lotus Cortina of Jim McKeown.

Im wondering if you guys would have any information on race stats and some images.

Im looking at the Neptune Era when the cars where blue.

Can anyone out there help me please.

Nivola

#3019 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:03

I've posted one of mine in the past, from Catalina Park...

I'll see if I can get it up again.

Advertisement

#3020 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:12

Ray I have gone through everything in this topic as it should be here.

I have found your catalina image which is a drivers side profile. This image looks like it is 1965 or later as the Lotus badge on the front grill is on the passenger side.

Also the review mirror is off the right front fender. This seemed to arrive and go depending on event.

#3021 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:33

Dead side on, driver's side, lots of sun, timber fence background as he's turning left...

August '65 approximately. It won't be in this thread though, years since I posted it.

#3022 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:39

Hmmm Well I found it on one website not sure which site though!

Nivola

#3023 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:12

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Well-known? Yes... but had he 'made his name' before joining Jane? A moot point...

John Sawyer worked under Otto Stone when he was with Stan Jones...

I have an idea that John worked with Allan Ashton too, though that might be a fanciful thought. Nevertheless, he was the second-string man, not the head spanner.

When Jane had the 300S he employed Sawyer full time to tend it, having had so much Maserati experience with Jones, and probably do some work at the car yard too. The Jaguar soon followed and John was very much a part of its development after Harry Firth started getting things under way.

The John Sawyer scenario brilliantly summed up Ray.

All I was trying to do was help fnqvmuch date & id some of his photos. Ones that we haven't even seen yet (but hopefully will).

The source I used for the K3 identification (quoted as chassis number K.3752) actually mentions the Nuvolari connection. Being his winning mount for the 1933 RAC TT race. Maybe it isn't, but where are all the Nuvolari/MG K3 enthusiasts (with intimate chassis numbers knowledge) to give us the facts.

Stephen

#3024 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:23

Originally posted by nivola
Hi all I have been trawling through this thread after some information on the Lotus Cortina of Jim McKeown.

Im wondering if you guys would have any information on race stats and some images.

Nivola

Nivola,

You can read about this Lotus Cortina before Jim turned it into his Neptune team car in Wheels magazine, November 1963. It was Melbourne Ford dealer, Peter Coffey's and appears on the cover of this issue with a road test inside. PM or email me (click on my 'profile' icon) and I can scan it if you want it.

Stephen

#3025 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:08

...Im looking at the Neptune Era when the cars where blue...

Sorry, no Neptune but here are a couple of the Mk II in different Shell colours. Was this a Lotus?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3026 eskimut

eskimut

• 72 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:05

Nivola

:wave: What are you looking for, we would have a few b/w, odd colour shot of Neptune team. John Stanley has the three car shot from Lakeside. assume you have looked at DVD footage of Neptune racing, looked at autopics.com.au, old race photos.com etc.
Regards

GP

#3027 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,667 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:37

Their is a DVD about Norm B,that has the Neptune team racing around Sandown,EH,Lotus and the Mini.

#3028 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:13

Originally posted by Lola5000
Their is a DVD about Norm B,that has the Neptune team racing around Sandown,EH,Lotus and the Mini.

It's called "Before Brock....There Was Beechey"....... and the Neptune Racing film that takes up the later part of the DVD does indeed include the EH, the Mini and the Lotus Cortina in question :wave:

#3029 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:33

Caversham. Pic by Milton mcCutcheon.

Posted Image

#3030 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:37

Caversham again. Pic by Milton McCutcheon

Posted Image

#3031 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:40

The above 2 pics probably 1964. Note the Consul badge on the bonnet bulge. This was a very early pre-airflow job, I think.

#3032 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:53

Originally posted by Wirra
Sorry, no Neptune but here are a couple of the Mk II in different Shell colours. Was this a Lotus?

Posted Image

Yes, a very rare 1967 model Lotus Cortina...

#3033 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 22:22

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Caversham again. Pic by Milton McCutcheon

Posted Image

I love the variety of cars in that pic. The Cortina, a Studebaker, a 750 Renault, a Humpy holden and a Viva lurking in the background

#3034 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 22:49

That was the dummy grid 60s style.These pics were 1966.I have sent Ray Oliver some high res. scans
of these pics.including my B/W closeup.
Ps Ray Bell i will be sending you an excellent closeup of the Ranford Chrystler Spec.which i have just
obtained.

#3035 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:38

That's just great, Ken, really looking forward to that...

And in response, here's my McKeown pic again:

Posted Image

And the man himself, along with his team mates... Skinny and Norm:

Posted Image

#3036 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:00

Thankyou Ray

Notice the gt500 Brake Ducts!!!

Plus the removal of the mirror off the fender and has the bonnet Rope/Leather strap attached.

#3037 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:19

Hmmm... wasn't an outside mirror required under the rules?

Just like the second bonnet fixing was required...

#3038 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:06

Well that was what I would have thought aswell but there are some images where the mirror was gone and some with it installed on the front fender.

There is another image at Catalina Park from the same race meeting where it shows no hole in the fender for the mirror!

The Lakeside image from Autopics has the same missing mirror!

Also the drivers name on the door came and went from race meeting to race meeting.

Lastly this is a general question to the lucky crew to live in this era. What was the color of the Registration Decal on the windscreen.

I have the video of the Neptune Racing Team doco and it looks red on the S4 but the thing is there is an images i have got off Ken are from 66 and the rego is still red. Any chance this is correct of the old sticker on the 66 car?

#3039 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:24

It looks to be the original rego sticker from its Peter Coffey days, with Victorian number plates 'HUN 999'. Must have been a very early production Lotus Cortina because it was registered in June 1963 going by the '6' on that label.

Stephen

Advertisement

#3040 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:05

I have read that it was the first Lotus Cortina raced in Australia.

#3041 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:10

Here is a screen grab from The Neptune Doco

Posted Image

#3042 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:31

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And the man himself, along with his team mates... Skinny and Norm:

Posted Image

I can never see a photo of Norm and not think 'VAT 69'

Anyone know why?

Vic

#3043 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:11

I have read that it was the first Lotus Cortina raced in Australia.

Debut event was Calder 26/1/64 meeting. The same meeting when the full Neptune Team of Norm Beechey, Peter Manton & Jim McKeown made their debut (Beechey first raced in Neptune colours late in 63). This event also being where Beechey spectacularly rolled his early model Holden 'PK 752' while battling Bob Jane's Fiat 2300.

Stephen

#3044 eskimut

eskimut

• 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:23

Here are a couple from our archives, enjoy..!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3045 wagons46

wagons46

• 316 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:28

Number plates in Victoria in 1963 ran from "HSH144" in January to "HXU732" in December. HUN999 is about the middle of that issue, making June 63 the logical original new car registration date.

#3046 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:37

Originally posted by eskimut
Posted Image [/B]

Great old pic from clubhouse corner at Mallala.

Edited by fredeuce, 06 October 2010 - 22:35.

#3047 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:18

Surfer's Paradise, January 1967.
Posted Image
and
Posted Image
Were there two different shades of blue - or is it just a case of dye degradation after forty-something years?

#3048 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:11

She looks black to me.

Blue till the end of 67?
Black for 68 for only one year?
Then along came the Shell name change and the yellow from 69 with the blue livery in there for a few months.

#3049 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:29

After so many years I'm not about to start arguing about colours..I was seeing these slides as a very dark blue, that's all.
The shots were most definitely taken in January of '67, whatever colour the cars were then. Here's another from the same meeting: I think we can say this is a very dark - British (Napier?) Racing green? :up:
Posted Image

#3050 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:11

The photos on this thread have been fantastic, really, really enjoyable thanks all