Photo

Can we help Kenny Irons' daughter?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 18:27

Just a few moments ago I happened on a heart felt request on the Isle of Man TT site
Let's see what we can do guys ! Here it is...

Please can you help me!!! I am Kenny Irons daughter.I was born in Luton 1983

I have searched for years and years for anything (pictures etc..) of my biological father.I know very little about him apart from he died in a tragic motorbike accident when I was very young.

I would be greatly apprciative for anything anyone can tell or show me.

[email address removed]

Thank You

JOSIE

Advertisement

#2 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 19:12

A little bit here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenny Irons
Complete name: Kenneth Paul Irons
Birth date: 17.Feb.1961
Birth Place: unknown, England, United Kingdom
Death date: 26.Jun.1988
Death Place: Louth, Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom
Nationality: United Kingdom
Age at death: 27

Accident date: 26.Jun.1988
Series: British F1
Race:
Event: unknown
Venue: Cadwell Park
Variant: 1962-present, long circuit

Role: rider
Vehicle type: motorcycle
Vehicle sub-type: sports bike (no further details yet available)
Vehicle brand/model:
Vehicle number:

Note:
Kenny Irons was killed on warm up lap of the British F1 race at Cadwell Park on 26 June 1988. Irons was twenty-seven-year old.

Accident happened when the bike of fellow British rider Keith Heuwen developed a misfire and slowed exiting Charlies onto Park Straight. Irons' bike hit the back of Heuwen's with Kenny being thrown off and tumbling down the side of track into the bottom of the dip on the straight. Irons' machine slid up the track out of harms way, but a following rider dropped his machine as bunching riders tried to slow, this riders machine then slid into Kenny Irons at quite some speed so causing him fateful injuries. Keith Heuwen and the other rider escaped injury. It is believed Kenny Irons was still alive when taken to hospital (possibly Louth Hospital - but that is not confirmed), other sources state he died at the scene.

Kenny Irons was competing in the 1988 "MCN/EBC Brakes/Dunlop Tyres Superstock Series". It has not yet been confirmed if the race at Cadwell Park was a round of this series.

RIP Kenny

Rosey

#3 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 19:25

Originally posted by Rosemayer
A little bit here.

Yes thanks Rosey...it was an awful accident...very very unlucky. :( I'm hoping that picblanc can come up with some of his action shots & anyone else with paddock stuff perhaps....

#4 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 20:05

Originally posted by mfd

Yes thanks Rosey...it was an awful accident...very very unlucky. :( I'm hoping that picblanc can come up with some of his action shots & anyone else with paddock stuff perhaps....

I have just emailed her a couple of pictures.

yes it was awful and awfully sad, I remember it like it was yesterday! :(

#5 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 20:25

Originally posted by picblanc
I have just emailed her a couple of pictures.

Thanks Graham, I was hoping you would have something...& on DVD maybe?

#6 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 20:34

The Superstocks winner
Posted Image
and the Suzuki 500 GP versionPosted Image

#7 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 20:58

Originally posted by mfd

Thanks Graham, I was hoping you would have something...& on DVD maybe?

:up: :up:

#8 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 21:16

Sorry only one small at that but a good looking man.

Posted Image

Rosey

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 21:30

It would be brilliant if we can help her out some how; well done Mike for grasping the idea. :up:

As some will have noticed, I've removed Josie's email address from Mike's opening post. This is nothing more than a standard procedure in order to protect individuals from unnecessary attention (spam and the like). Ok; it's visible on another website, but that one is not my responsibility.

Anyone wishing to contact her with info or pics can get here email address from Mike (mfd) or Graham (picblanc) via email or PM (I hope that's ok with you two?) which will continue to preserve her privacy.

#10 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 21:45

Kenny Irons
Birth Place: unknown, England, United Kingdom *

Race: *
Event: unknown *

Vehicle brand/model: *
Vehicle number:

Note:
Kenny Irons was killed on warm up lap of the British F1 race at Cadwell Park on 26 June 1988. Irons was twenty-seven-year old.

Accident happened when the bike of fellow British rider Keith Heuwen developed a misfire and slowed exiting Charlies onto Park Straight. Irons' bike hit the back of Heuwen's with Kenny being thrown off and tumbling down the side of track into the bottom of the dip on the straight. Irons' machine slid up the track out of harms way, but a following rider dropped his machine as bunching riders tried to slow, this riders machine then slid into Kenny Irons at quite some speed so causing him fateful injuries. Keith Heuwen and the other rider escaped injury. It is believed Kenny Irons was still alive when taken to hospital (possibly Louth Hospital - but that is not confirmed), other sources state he died at the scene.

Kenny Irons was competing in the 1988 "MCN/EBC Brakes/Dunlop Tyres Superstock Series". It has not yet been confirmed if the race at Cadwell Park was a round of this series.
Rosey

* I have some additional information on the above:

My source lists his place of birth as Luton.

Kenny died as described at the third round of the 1988 ACU Shell Oils TT Formula One British Championship. He was racing a Honda RC30 for the Bridge Garages (Exeter) team, which he had set up after his GP ride with Suzuki came to an end. He had already raced the Honda to sixth overall in the first ever Superbike World Championship meeting, also with sixth on the road in the first heat race.

Kenny’s first race was in 1978, and he won the 1982 250cc British Championship (Yamaha), the 1984 Yamaha Pro/Am Championship (Yamaha), and the 1986 Superstock British Championship (Yamaha).

Kenny’s first Grand Prix was on a 250cc Yamaha in 1985. He scored points in his second 500cc GP of 1986, with eighth at Silverstone for Loctite Yamaha (but I think it was actually a Suzuki). Then in 1987 he raced for Heron Suzuki GB Ltd in 500s - the official Suzuki team in Grands Prix - with occasional team-mate Kevin Schwantz (the World Champion in 1993). That year his best result was sixth in France, and he finished 14th overall even with the team pulling out before the last three races.

If I can get my scanner to work, I may be able to find some pictures. But the software is quite badly mangled it seems.

#11 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 21:57

Look for Niall Mackenzie’s autobiography - it has a picture which shows Kenny leading Niall and Ron Haslam in the wet at Silverstone in the ’86 GP.

#12 Piston Broke

Piston Broke

• 123 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:52

A few references to Kenny I have come across which may be of use.

Haslemere Motorcycles, his sponsor / entrant have a website with various references to Kenny.

Haslemere Motorcycles in collaboration with other sponsors (Group Captain Stafford Coulson and Brian Coleman of D&A News) have had a lot of success, 1st & 2nd in British Championship's with Kenny Irons & Roger Hurst and a great deal of enjoyment with a large number of riders under their banner.

http://www.haslemere.../racingmain.htm

http://www.haslemere...les/Newsmcn.gif
A montage pic of assorted motorcycling events which include some headlines (Irons shows his mettle)

Kenny Irons.
Won the 1986 Super Stock Championship on our FZ750 Yamaha. (Now known as British Superbikes.)

Quite a few pics of Kenny here: http://www.highsider...lager/Irons.htm

EDIT: Forgot to add this pic when I posted the other info earlier:

Posted Image

#13 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:15

Posted Image
My modest an alone contribution is this pic from a Mike Walker book, taken in 1983 at Donington
Frienly

#14 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:26

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but the race, and therfore the tragic accident itself was shown live on BBC Grandstand with Murray Walker commentating I think.
I remember it only too well, one of those truly freak happenings. Horrible.

#15 Piston Broke

Piston Broke

• 123 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:32

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but the race, and therfore the tragic accident itself was shown live on BBC Grandstand with Murray Walker commentating I think.
I remember it only too well, one of those truly freak happenings. Horrible.

Yes and I am led to believe it was the catalyst for the halting of live BBC broadcasts of motor cycle racing for a while.

#16 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:20

Originally posted by Piston Broke

Yes and I am led to believe it was the catalyst for the halting of live BBC broadcasts of motor cycle racing for a while.

And I don't recall there being any follow up news on the accident of even an acknoweldgement that Kenny had actually died. As far as I recall there was silence on the subject. Something that I doubt would be the case today.

#17 josiethomas

josiethomas

• 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 14:52

Hello

Thankyou so much for all of your pictures,links and information.

I have been overwhelmed with the amount of response I have had.Up until a few days ago I did not even know what Kenny looked like let alone about his amazing career. It was strange to see as we look very alike.

I now do not feel like that little piece of me is missing anymore.Words can not even begin to describe my gratitude.

Thank you all

Josie

#18 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 16:35

Well done Gentlemen, well done.

#19 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 20:59

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks

And I don't recall there being any follow up news on the accident of even an acknowledgement that Kenny had actually died. As far as I recall there was silence on the subject. Something that I doubt would be the case today.

There was nothing on the TV or in the Monday papers, or even on teletext, so after seeing the crash on TV and two days of worrying I rushed to the paper shop on the way to work on the Wednesday to get Motor Cycle News............... :cry:

Here is a photo I posted in the M/C thread from the British GP at Donington in 1987 during his year as a works GP rider; I was really annoyed with Suzuki for not keeping him on for 1988 -

Posted Image

I remember seeing him around the paddocks at British meetings before 1987; he always seemed a chirpy character with a bouncy walk, and a very good rider - a works contract seemed only a fair reward.

Paul M

Advertisement

#20 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 21:34

Originally posted by Macca
Here is a photo I posted in the M/C thread from the British GP at Donington in 1987

I can't get your thumbnail to work Paul :confused:

#21 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 21:34

Originally posted by mfd

I thought it was me!! :confused:

#22 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 21:50

A popular lad!! its good that this thread has caused us all to remember him in greater depth. :)
Kenny at Brands in 1982.
Posted Image

And Silverstone in 1985
Posted Image
Pictures Copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#23 LB

LB

• 13,553 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 21:55

A little bit here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenny Irons
Birth Place: unknown, England, United Kingdom

Race:
Event: unknown

Vehicle brand/model:
Vehicle number:

Note:

RIP Kenny

Rosey

The following rider was Mark Phillips see http://www.visordown...ad.php?t=258903

Interestingly Kenny's nephew appears in that thread

#24 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:51

Originally posted by mfd

Sorry, something's wrong with Imageshack, it doesn't open in the original post either and seems to have vanished, and the original scan was lost in a hard-drive crash; I'll try to find it again.

Paul M

#25 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

• 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:59

Hi there, I grew up near Cadwell Park and have a fair memory of watching Sunday Grandstand that day, seeing the accident, and becoming frustrated that no information about Kenny's condition was being passed on. I think Kenny was taken to Grimsby District General (now Princess of Wales) Hospital, and definitely remember the accident receiving extensive coverage in the local paper (the Grimsby Evening Telegraph) the following day. Thanks, Mike

#26 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 17:34

The North West 200 is a motorcycle race meeting held each May in Northern Ireland, using public roads. The circuit between the towns Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine (the Triangle) is considered among the fastest in the world, with speeds topping 200mph, and enters the outskirts of those towns, passing many private houses. To facilitate this, street signs are removed at parts of the track and bales of hay used to wrap the base of lampposts and telegraph poles in case of an accident. It is one of around fifteen events run on public roads between April and October throughout the island of Ireland. In 2006 it was the highest attended sporting event in Ireland, with up to 150,000 people from Ireland, Britain, Europe and beyond descending on the "Triangle" for the week
the late Richard Britton (bike 8) and Bruce Anstey (bike 3) in 2005Practice nights are held on Tuesday and Thursday before the race. The race meeting on Saturday requires public roads to be closed during the afternoon. The meeting takes its name from the main race of the afternoon - the 'North West 200,' originally ran over 200 miles, before changing to its current format of six separate races each running 4-6 laps of the 8.966 mile circuit, 8.83 miles on the first lap of every race. This forms part of the larger tradition of Irish road-racing and the Isle of Man TT races race weekend attracts thousands of fans, many of whom camp on fields beside the circuit. It is the largest annual sporting event in Ireland, with over 100,000 visitors from all over the world every year.

WINNERS
Adrian Archibald, Alan Carter, Alan Lyons, Bill Smith, Billy Guthrie, WHT Meagean, Bob Foster, Bob Jackson, Brian Reid, Cliff Carr, Courtney Junk, Darran Lindsay, David Madsen-Mygdal, David Morgan, Denis Parkinson, Derek Minter, Dickie Dale, Ernie Lyons, Geoff Barry, George Buchan, Graham Walker, Harold Daniell, Harold Kirby, Harry Pearce, Iain Duffus, Ian Hutchinson, Ian McGregor, Ian Richards, Ivor Arber, Jack Moore, Jackie Robinson, Jackie Wood, James Whitham, Jimmy Little, Joe Woodside, John Newbold, Keith Huewen, Kenny Irons, Malcolm Templeton, Malcolm McQuigg, Malcolm Uphill, Martin Sharpe, Michael McSorley, Mick Lofthouse, Mike Edwards, Nigel Beattie, Norman Brown, Owen McNally, Paul Smart, Percy Tait, Peter Gill, Raymond Porter, Reg Armstrong, Richard Britton, Rob Orme, Roger Hurst, Ron Haslam, Ronnie Mead, Samuel Smith, Stanley Woods, Steve Murray, Steve Tonkin, Stu Avant, Stuart Graham, Syd Lawton, H G Tyrell Smith, Wal Handley

Picture of Kenny

Posted Image

#27 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 17:51

Picture of KennyPosted Image

Sorry Rosie, that looks like Fogarty to me

#28 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 18:28

Mike I think you are right now that I looked at it closer.The web site I found it on said it was Kenny Irons so I posted without checking. :blush:

#29 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 21:18

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1984, and Kenny is in 3rd outside Niall Mackenzie and following Andy Watts.

Paul M

#30 Flan

Flan

• 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 16:46

Originally posted by mfd

Please can you help me!!! I am Kenny Irons daughter.I was born in Luton 1983

I have searched for years and years for anything (pictures etc..) of my biological father.I know very little about him apart from he died in a tragic motorbike accident when I was very young.

I would be greatly apprciative for anything anyone can tell or show me.

[email address removed]

Thank You

JOSIE

Is this really someone that is Kenny Irons daughter, im sorry but if you were the Daughter of the great Kenny irons why would you put up a thread asking for pitures and never look at the forum again. I know the "real" daughter of Kenny Irons so Josie if you are out there and do exsist please contact me as i know your sister.

Stuart

stuart.flanagan@madison-cycles.com

#31 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 17:19

Originally posted by Flan

Is this really someone that is Kenny Irons daughter, im sorry but if you were the Daughter of the great Kenny irons why would you put up a thread asking for pitures and never look at the forum again. I know the "real" daughter of Kenny Irons so Josie if you are out there and do exsist please contact me as i know your sister.

Stuart

wake up dude...

Originally posted by josiethomas

Hello

Thank you so much for all of your pictures, links and information.

I have been overwhelmed with the amount of response I have had.Up until a few days ago I did not even know what Kenny looked like let alone about his amazing career. It was strange to see as we look very alike.

I now do not feel like that little piece of me is missing anymore.Words can not even begin to describe my gratitude.

Thank you all

Josie

TNF comes through again... take care Josie.

#32 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 198 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 22:16

I'm a bit late here, but I thought I'd show a shot from the BBC broadcast of Kenny's last race, showing him on the #0 Honda. Unfortnately, the only clear shot is from when the crash begins, so I'm not going to post that. I hope this is a worthy cause for my first post.

Posted Image

#33 rosemeyer

rosemeyer

• 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 00:26

quote:
Originally posted by Flan

Stuart

wake up dude...

quote:

Hello

Thank you so much for all of your pictures, links and information.

Thank you all

Josie

TNF comes through again... take care Josie.

:up: :up:

#34 josiethomas

josiethomas

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 13:19

Hi Guys

Do not worry,I have been in contact with 'Flan'

I think he was as shocked as I was and thought maybe I was pulling a prank.I can assure you that I am not,and I would not be so sick as to pull something like this

I have checked this thread every day since I have posted on it.Apart from the last couple of weeks as I have been on holiday

Please do not be disheartned as 'Flan' was a very close friend of Kenny's and probably thought I was trying to upset people.

Thank you all again for everything

Josie
xx

#35 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 14:00

Don't worry...I think he was as shocked as I was...

Some of us who knew the history, were more than aware that you had made nothing more than a genuine request. All the best to you Josie:up:

#36 ZoeIrons

ZoeIrons

• 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 21:36

Hi All

Firstly, thank you all for remembering my dad and making such a contribution to his memory.

Josie, I would ask that you refrain from using internet forums to discuss such a sensitive subject, a lot of pain and upset has been caused by your recent claim. I do not feel that continual discussion in public forums should be made until this situation has been resolved.

My contact details are below for all,

zoe@liscombepark.com

Thank you all in advance for understanding the sensitive nature of this matter

Zoe Irons

#37 Philcarter

Philcarter

• 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:38

just seen this request, If you need some photos I have a few from a race meet at Snetterton (I think it was 1988). Kenny was on an RC30.

Regards
Phil

#38 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:46

Originally posted by Philcarter
just seen this request, If you need some photos I have a few from a race meet at Snetterton (I think it was 1988). Kenny was on an RC30.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum, I think this thread has been put to bed now, if you read the post just before yours.
It would be great to see your pics of Kenny or anyone else for that matter, can you post them on the Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 thread :up: you should find it on the first page, no we have slipped down to page two!! but you should find it OK?
Thanks,
Graham.

#39 Philcarter

Philcarter

• 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:50

oops sorry, never been on these forum thingys before. Will post them as requested.
phil

Advertisement

#40 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:53

Originally posted by Philcarter
oops sorry, never been on these forum thingys before. Will post them as requested.
phil

No worries mate, no harm done.
Really looking forward to seeing something new!!;)

#41 aebi

aebi

• 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 20:52

Hi Josie

I have never forgotten the death of your father Kenny Irons & have carried the memory of that day all this time. I was 21 at the time marshalling at Mansfield corner which was the nearest marshall post to where the accident happened, I heard the crash and after the field had passed ran up on to park straight. When I got to your father it was pretty obvious that he was badly injured so I called for doctor and ambulance. They tried for about 10 mins to revive him but I believe he was already dead or died very shortly after I got to him. I remember hearing the medics say "he's gone" and then they loaded him in the ambulance to take him to Louth hospital. I believe the confusion over where he died stems from a paperwork issue, it was a lot simpler if riders died on the way to hospital rather than at the circuit. I believe he died on the left hand side of Park Straight about 200m up from Mansfield at the top end of armco barrier (if it is still there). There was TV footage of the accident at the time but I would not recommend you see it.
I could go into more details but I think it is stuff you would not want to know.
I hope this helps.
It was a very sad day
Jerry
Auckland NZ

#42 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:59

I don’t mean to re-open this thread for no reason, but I remembered it was here and thought it should be moved to the motorcycle section. With thanks.

#43 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:36

I don’t mean to re-open this thread for no reason, but I remembered it was here and thought it should be moved to the motorcycle section. With thanks.

...which it now has been - sorry I missed your above post.

#44 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:38

Couldn't find it anywhere!! Twinny dun good!!

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 26 August 2009 - 11:38.

#45 Seismic

Seismic

• 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:11

Hello Josie, I came across your note asking for anyone who knew your Dad.

It's been a while, but I remember him as a bright, funny happy fellow who was much loved by his pals. My father, Ronnie Pett, did the lettering on his helmet and racebikes for both him and John Neate. I helped out as an apprentice, and got to hang out in the garage before race weekends while John prepared the machinery.

Not much else I can share with you, other than he is missed by me and I am sure anyone else who knew him. Hard to believe he has been gone 21 years now.

Hope all is well with you, Chris.

#46 GrahamH65

GrahamH65

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:35

Yes!! In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi:

"I knew your Father once"  ;)

Back in the early 1980s I was at school with Kenny's younger brother Barrie. We became friends through a common love of motorcycle racing, and so in time I became acquainted with Kenny.

Barrie and I both had little bikes at the time (before taking our tests) but we would often hang out in his parents' shed in the back garden of their home in Luton. I lived only a few streets away in Leagrave, so we would spend a lot of time together.

At that time, Kenny was an up-and-coming club level racer who competed in (If I remember correctly) production racing with the then-new and all conquering Yamaha RD350LC as well as 250 and 350 open class with a brace of TZ Yamahas.
I remember Kenny was sponsored by local Yamaha dealer Flitwick Motorcycles (Who are still in business) and Stan Stephens (A race tuner based in Sevenoaks in Kent. Not sure if he's still going or not).

Mr and Mrs Irons (parents) were great people. Hospitable, kind, and with a massive knowledge of motorcycle racing. Barrie and I even used to listen to one of his father's vinyl records of "Sounds of the TT races". That's how enthusiastic we were!

Back in those days, anyone into bikes in the area used to drink at The Angel pub in nearby Toddington. It's still there, but is no longer a bikers pub. My most vivid recollection from those days is when I was riding home from there at closing time on my little "Spots Moped". I was howling along a long straight that runs alongside the M1. I had my head on the tank and was probably imagining that I was Kenny Roberts at Silverstone.
Suddenly, I felt someone tap me on the shoulder!! "What the ****??" I thought. I turned my head and there was Kenny riding alongside. He was dressed in his usual attire of white trainers, skinny jeans, a sweatshirt and his racing helmet. Sitting on his RD350 proddy racer! He laughed, then nailed the LC and left me for dead in a cloud of Castrol R40 smoke!

I recall a few names of his friends from those days, but you can PM or email me if you want more info. I won't post their details on a public forum out of respect to their privacy.

Later on, Kenny became a star player in the Yamaha RD350LC Pro-Am series. Along with unkowns like Niall MacKenzie and a certain Damon Hill. I met both of them at various times. I recall that also in the shed for a while was the "Team Bike" RD350LC production racer, sponsored by Bike magazine and ridden by one of their journalists by the name of Howard Lees. You could try and track him down for more info?

Barrie and I were friends for a few years but over time we drifted apart as friends often do when their circumstances changed. To the best of my knowledge Barrie had some success in club racing too, but gave it up when Kenny died, which was about the same time he acquired a long term girlfriend and possibly a child? I'm not 100% on this though.

Anyway, I could go on (and probably have) but if you want any more info please feel free to email anytime and I'll see what I can dredge up from the memory banks of 25 years ago.

All the best in your search. Kenny was a good and massively talented bloke and I was quite in awe of him at the time. It's a source of lasting regret that we'd lost touch by the time of his demise and the first I learned of it was when the local paper ran a story about the funeral. I still feel bad that I didn't attend, but I didn't know.

Good luck, and best wishes,

Graham.

graham0825@yahoo.com

#47 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:44

Nice post Graham,
Sadly Howard Lees is no longer with us.

#48 SILVERDREAMRACER

SILVERDREAMRACER

• 116 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:03

a pair of Kenny's racing boots on evilbay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3efc741908

#49 GrahamH65

GrahamH65

• 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 17:09

a pair of Kenny's racing boots on evilbay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3efc741908

I had a pair of Kenny's boots that he gave me too!

They were from the "Hondastyle" range of the early 1980s. A little tight on my size 10 feet (Kenny was size 9) but perfectly serviceable, despite the large amounts of duct tape covering the holes in the outside leather where it had been worn through from hard cornering. :cool:

#50 Steve7

Steve7

• 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:07

Just found this photo I took during qualifying at the British GP at Silverstone 198?..

Posted Image

Steve.
http://www.skphotoscom.co.uk/