Photo

George Begg RIP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:23

George's long battle with cancer ended last night - about 7.30 Australian time.

Advertisement

#2 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:44

That's a shame...though I never saw it personally his contribution to motorsport has left a well documented legacy.

RIP Mr Begg

#3 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:54

George Begg's book on Burt Munro is a great read. It is rare for an engineer to be able to put things into words the way George did.

#4 Levin68

Levin68

• 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:39

George in later years, happily working on new parts for motorcycle engines from AJS 7Rs, Matchless G50s and Manx Nortons, the passions of his youth. His quest to compete in the Manx Grand Prix, where he met his wife, is a great tale.

New Zealand motor racing was all the better for his gritty determination and practical engineering. No wonder he and Burt Munro had so much in common.

Posted Image

The site is not in the best shape, but it tells some of his story. He generously gave me permission to extract material from his self-published book, When the engine roars.http://www.angelfire...begg_intro.html

#5 Duncan Fox

Duncan Fox

• 191 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:46

I had heard George had taken a turn for the worse. The sad news was conveyed to me at my shop yesterday by another ex 68/9 team member Frank (the gopher) Zimmerman .

Its at a time like this that I feel that the encourgement and help we all gave George as he put together his McLaren book was so worthwhile.

He may be gone but he certainly will not be forgotten around here.

Thankyou to every body who helped and participated in the Begg reunion down south earlier this year , which George I understand managed to attend. It turned out to be a great send off .

My condolances to his wife Freda .

#6 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 22:25

I guess the event in his honour at Invercargill must have given him an element of closure after battling the cancer for so long. Goodbye to another great Kiwi.

#7 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 286 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:48

Originally posted by Duncan Fox

George I understand managed to attend. It turned out to be a great send off .

Duncan he more than managed to attend - he was superb.

I spent over an hour with him on stage in a 'one on one' and he was outstanding.

So good in fact that people later doubted he was as sick as they'd been told.

I did an interview with last May for an upcoming documentary and he wasn't expecting to make Christmas.

Not only did he build cars in a far flung part of NZ, that in turn is in a far flung part of the world, he was such a funny man.

I believe the funeral will be in Christchurch next Monday or Tuesday - all a matter of getting him on a plane back from Queensland.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:41

I had the privilege of speaking to him a couple of times about his Begg book...

It is indeed a good thing that he recorded so much of his life's work in this way.

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 19:00

Sorry to bump this but I think it's worth it

http://www.rotaryher...george_begg.htm

#10 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:12

Thanks for the memories George...rest in peace.