Photo

Rochdale Olympic

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NRoshier

NRoshier

• 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 00:09

The Rochdale Olympic was designed by Richard Parker for RMP in 1959/60. It was a F/G monocoque and unlike the Elite was moulded in virtually one piece, eliminating the component adhesion issues of the Elite that caused Lotus such problems. Chapman subsequently poached him off RMP's motorsport show stand to go and work for Lotus. Parker then worked on the Lotus 25, 26R, 30 and 40. He was a Bristol trained engineer and according to Ron Hickman, was the person responsible for solving the stress and stiffness issues of the 25's monocoque. In his later years he was given an Olympic by his family and given his added skills and experience redesigned the car, equipping it with a 24V Cosworth V6 and new independant suspension all around.
Olympics were more commonly used for Rallies/Autocross, though some have been used for circuit racing. Does anyone have any images of any Rochdale Olympic in competition?

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 00:59

Derek Bennett and Paul Owens built up an Olympic for Derek Alderson in the DBRE pre-Chevron days. DA and DB both had a go in it and Paul was allowed a run, but he wrapped it around something solid at Oulton and a hawser cut the car in half...

#3 NRoshier

NRoshier

• 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:28

From what I have been told that was an Olympic body dropped onto a steel chassis. I was also told that the nose lifted and with no steeing it was straight off the track...and into the famed hawser!

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:57

http://www.rochdale-....uk/olympic.htm

#5 NRoshier

NRoshier

• 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:02

Thanks, I'm a member of the club, I was hoping the vast resource that is this forum may have more information.

#6 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 15:26

I think our own Paul Tochdale holds some information

#7 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 15:30

Yes Neil and I know each other, and what information there is about racing Olympics is known within the Rochdale Owners Club, however he is trying to see if TNFs have any further knowledge over and above what is already known.

Tochdale?

#8 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 16:35

Sorry Paul
John

#9 rochdale

rochdale

• 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:13

Hi all,
I read with interest in the June 2007 Fairthorpe Sportscar club magazine a report of a much modified Olympic competeing in Queensland. I have checked with the Historic racing car club in QLD in the results but could find no record of an Olympic in their last event. More details please of when and where may help me find it. So far I know of 3 Rochdales in Australia, Gordon Cowleys GT and Neil Roshier and I both have Olympics. Last I heard Neil was in Victoria. His is modified and runs a 2 litre Fiat motor. It could be his or has another been imported?
regards Keith Nicholson. Rochdale Olympic PH2 ESU 816

#10 rochdale

rochdale

• 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:04

Well it is not Neils Olympic.
Still looking for details of this car.
Regards Keith

#11 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:42

Didn't one of the REJO "boys" race one in the UK ? John Anstice-Brown, if my memory is correct ?? If so, there should be an article in an 1965 issue of "Motor".

#12 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 15:09

Rudi

The John Anstice-Brown 'Lightweight' Olympic is not only well known within the club, it's currently owned by one of it's members. The car was originally contructed by John, who wrote for 'The Motor' magazine, and it wore the dummy registration number of 'AB 1'. Originally the car was fitted with a Holbay Ford 996cc engine with a Ford gearbox with a Hewland 5-speed conversion. Later John fitted a Ford Cosworth 1100cc engine. The car was never very competitive and raced in a number of 750MCC events including the 6hr Relay one year. After having a lot of fun in the car, he sold it for £115 to concentrate on driving a faster and more competitive Rejo Mk VI sportscar. The 'Lightweight', so named as the car was contructed by Rochdale Motor Panels with the thinnest possible number of GRP layers it was translucent, was then converted for road use.

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 20:17

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
Rudi

Later John fitted a Ford Cosworth 1100cc engine. The car was never very competitive and raced in a number of 750MCC events including the 6hr Relay one year.

And was entered for this race at the Maidstone & Mid Kent Motor Club Silverstone event, 1st May 1965.

Posted Image

#14 Danny Skehan

Danny Skehan

• 68 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 13:04

Rochdale in the Phoenix Park early 70s - can't remember the date! :confused:

Posted Image

#15 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:04

Danny
Would you have any idea as to the identity of the driver or any more info about the car? It would be most helpful.
Paul

#16 Danny Skehan

Danny Skehan

• 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:02

I’m afraid I don’t have very much information on the car or driver. I don’t think it was a “proper” race car (although their might be a roll bar fitted). In those days young lads in Dublin, trying to impress the “birds” often entered road cars by just slapping a number on the side, buying a competition licence and turning up on the day! I can read on the side of the car the name Brian but no second name. There might be a programme for the “park” in the RIAC library in Dublin, but I can’t remember the exact date, possibly 1971/2 maybe earlier. I will send you a better scan – but the pictures are not great 35mm transparencies. I have only one other picture (same angle see below)

Posted Image.

#17 DUFFY

DUFFY

• 118 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:26

Hi Danny
Thanks very much for the e-mail and the photos, this all helps tracing the lost Rochdale Cars.
Regards
Tony

ps Just for the record as I have just started on this forum I am the owner of the ex-Richard Parker
24V Cosworth V6 Rochdale Olympic P3 as mentioned at the start of this thread.

Posted Image

#18 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 19:07

Welcome Tony. There won't be much on Rochdales here but many of the contributors have a wealth of knowledge about bygone motorsport and is more adult than most forums.

Paul N.

#19 calex_fr

calex_fr

• 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:50

I introduce to me, I am Alexander and I baugth Paul Delderfield Phase II.

Posted Image

The french history of my car is here : http://www.scct.fr/f...opic.php?t=1417
In french, sorry :(

I am very happy to can use the forum, because I have lot of questions :wink:

Advertisement

#20 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:30

Danny , the driver in the Park is Brian Lennox , it was a tarted up roadcar IIRC , I have sent you pm