Photo

Personal photos from museums

• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#351 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:17

My favorite is still the McLaren M21 the Jody Scheckter F2 car just looks right .

Pete

Yeah!!! Lovely bit of styling, especially that nosecone...

Advertisement

#352 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:27

Sold the Porsche F.1 car? Oh no! :( :cry: :mad:

But why?????

The plus would be if it was on the grid at the Monaco Historique next May.

Edited by Barry Boor, 05 November 2009 - 21:32.

#353 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 22:08

I use a tiny little Casio Exilim 2.0 Mega Pixel that I purchased years ago at Doha Airport when these things came out. I'm usually surprised by the quality of the results considering, but in a big room with poor lighting, the tiny flash simply can't cope. :well:

Forgive me for copying one of your photos, but I "photoshop" it to illustrate how bad lighting can be corrected and a "tiny" camera can produce a good photo. I enjoyed all your photos of the Skopos Motor Museum.
Posted Image

#354 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 22:09

Sold the Porsche F.1 car? Oh no! :( :cry: :mad:

Yes, it was a real gem - the only other one being in Stuttgart.

#355 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 22:14

Yes, it was a real gem - the only other one being in Stuttgart.

Anyone know who bought it, and where it's living now?

#356 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:00

It's in very safe hands.

#357 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:06

But is it going to be seen on the circuits, Allen?

#358 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 20:33

Great photos Tony, I love the BT26 (?) of Bell :love: I really need to get up to the collection, (thinks: another week-end excursion, like the one to Duns with the clerk of works) :rolleyes: :lol:

#359 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:48

Anyone know who bought it, and where it's living now?

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2009-11-04

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the Porsche behind this famous Lotus???

Advertisement

#360 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:56

It is A Porsche, Tony, but not THE Porsche, which is an 804 as opposed to de Beaufort's old 718.

Posted Image

#361 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:02

Aah, thankyou Barry! :wave:

#362 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:53

This should really be in the 'Rubbish' thread, but I know it will appeal to Barry. Many years ago, when this car first appeared, I was a keen teenage slot racer. There wasn't a lot of commercially available stuff back then, if you wanted anything new or different, you had to make it yourself, and one guy in the Southport club (ARRA for any other old slot racers whose memories go back that far), made a very good Porsche 804 replica out of solid aluminium, when all polished up, it looked delightful. He cheated slightly by epoxying pieces of 3mm ali sheet together, but when the car was finished after a lot of hand filing and polishing, you couldn't see the joins. Walkden Fisher was the man responsible, and Charlie Fitzpatrick of fibreglass and later vac-formed bodyshell fame was in the same club. Walkden was a talented artist as well as a slot racer, he painted many of the covers for Model Maker magazine, and he also did many of those lovely cut-away drawings of cars boats and planes that appeared across the centre pages of Eagle comic for boys, he used to sign all of them with his name (Fisher) in the shape of a fish.

#363 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 00:37

Spent three days in Dublin this week including a track day at Mondello Park which unearthed a few surprises.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#364 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:31

This should really be in the 'Rubbish' thread, but I know it will appeal to Barry. Many years ago, when this car first appeared, I was a keen teenage slot racer. There wasn't a lot of commercially available stuff back then, if you wanted anything new or different, you had to make it yourself, and one guy in the Southport club (ARRA for any other old slot racers whose memories go back that far), made a very good Porsche 804 replica out of solid aluminium, when all polished up, it looked delightful. He cheated slightly by epoxying pieces of 3mm ali sheet together, but when the car was finished after a lot of hand filing and polishing, you couldn't see the joins. Walkden Fisher was the man responsible, and Charlie Fitzpatrick of fibreglass and later vac-formed bodyshell fame was in the same club. Walkden was a talented artist as well as a slot racer, he painted many of the covers for Model Maker magazine, and he also did many of those lovely cut-away drawings of cars boats and planes that appeared across the centre pages of Eagle comic for boys, he used to sign all of them with his name (Fisher) in the shape of a fish.

I also realise that this should be in the Rubbish Thread but I had to reply to this.

I have to correct you on the builder of this fine slot car, it was Chas Keeling who built the ATS, not a Porsche (the aluminum finish maybe confused you after all this time) although you are absolutley right that Walkden Fisher and Charlie Fitzpatrick were also club members at the time and they also built some great models.

Charlie Fitzpatrick along with his son Ian is still very active with his Betta & Classic slot car business although sadly Walkden Fisher died many years ago. Dave Jones a fellow ARRA member and protege of Walkden Fisher still produces fine slot car bodyshells as well as wonderful aviation and motor racing paintings to this day.

When I carved a 1/32 scale master of John Cobb's Napier Railton I was very fortunate to be able to use Walkden's personal copy of the Profile Publications booklet courtesy of Dave Jones and I have a fine original painting of Louis Wagner at Savannah in 1908 complete with the "fish" signature.

The ATS still exists and Chas is still active in the slot racing scene to this day. At the 2005 Walkden Fisher Memorial Race Meeting at Pendles Slot Racing in Colne I photographed the ATS and talked to Chas about his scatchbuilding techniques.

Here are three views of the car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chas with the ATS and his 4 wheel drive Harvey Aluminium Special

Posted Image

These slot cars should be in a museum so perhaps we haven't gone that far off topic .

David

#365 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:02

Spent three days in Dublin this week including a track day at Mondello Park which unearthed a few surprises.......
PAR

Captions would have been nice!

Correct me if I am wrong but the final photo of the white single seater is of the Mike Pilbeam constructed Wheatcroft F2/FAt car.

:wave:

#366 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:12

Captions would have been nice!

Correct me if I am wrong but the final photo of the white single seater is of the Mike Pilbeam constructed Wheatcroft F2/FAt car.

:wave:

I cannot correct you because you are spot on :)

PAR

#367 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:46

That Harvey Aluminium Special looks good, any close ups of it?

#368 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 15:08

De Tomaso Pantera left rear with the 956/962?
Roger Lund

#369 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 15:22

Roger Lund

Roger see what you mean.....however it is the Stuck BMW M1 Procar

PAR

#370 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 15:24

Roger Lund

Looks more like a BMW M1 Pro-Car to me!

#371 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 15:57

Roger see what you mean.....however it is the Stuck BMW M1 Procar PAR

That is why I wondered as the wing looked sufficiently different, from memory. I suspect most of the M1s survive.
RL

#372 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 17:39

I also realise that this should be in the Rubbish Thread but I had to reply to this.

I have to correct you on the builder of this fine slot car, it was Chas Keeling who built the ATS, not a Porsche (the aluminum finish maybe confused you after all this time) although you are absolutley right that Walkden Fisher and Charlie Fitzpatrick were also club members at the time and they also built some great models.

Charlie Fitzpatrick along with his son Ian is still very active with his Betta & Classic slot car business although sadly Walkden Fisher died many years ago. Dave Jones a fellow ARRA member and protege of Walkden Fisher still produces fine slot car bodyshells as well as wonderful aviation and motor racing paintings to this day.

When I carved a 1/32 scale master of John Cobb's Napier Railton I was very fortunate to be able to use Walkden's personal copy of the Profile Publications booklet courtesy of Dave Jones and I have a fine original painting of Louis Wagner at Savannah in 1908 complete with the "fish" signature.

The ATS still exists and Chas is still active in the slot racing scene to this day. At the 2005 Walkden Fisher Memorial Race Meeting at Pendles Slot Racing in Colne I photographed the ATS and talked to Chas about his scatchbuilding techniques.

Posted Image

Thanks very much for that David, I started having small doubts after posting, but you've brought everything back now, and here to make amends is a pic of the Walkden Fisher Porsche that I was referring to, and I was of course thinking of that ATS that Chas Keeling made, I remember that model as well. Walkden was a lovely man and a good friend, endlessly patient with young teenage slot racers like me, though it was his artistic abilities that impressed me most, his Lakeland watercolours in particular, though also of course all those Eagle centre-spreads. When there was a race meeting at ARRA, the track was in the cellars of Walkden's home in Southport, some senior club members like Walkden and Bill Rimmer used to acommodate impecunious young racers like me in spare rooms in their homes. No Police checks back then of course, they'd probably get locked up as paedophiles for an act of kindness like that today, but everything completely above board of course, and our parents never turned a hair when we told them. But you tell that to the kids of today...

Pleased to see that Chas Keeling is still active. Chas wasn't ARRA of course, but a founder member of the 'alifax club, on the top floor of a tall building in that town, probably long ago demolished, with steep and scary wood stairs. I remember that the Halifax track had what was must have been one of the longest straights of any track in the Country, a sort of Yorkshire Paul Ricard. Chas ran a small business making slot car bits, maybe he still does, I used to buy wheels and tyres and other parts from him. When foam tyres appeared to replace the solid rubber ones, Chas sold an evil smelling dressing for added grip. It rejoiced in the improbable name 'Galumph', which Chas used to justify by quoting the dictionary definition of that word "Go prancing in triumph". I think it had oil of wintergreen in it. The areas where we prepared our cars at slot race meetings used to smell like rugby club changing rooms.

Your mention of a 1/32nd Napier Railton has reminded me of a few masters that I made back then for Gordon Tapsell of GT Models.

Off-topic as ever, this is a bit inappropriate both for this 'Museums' thread, and it wouldn't really fit into the 'Rubbish' one, but I'm sure there are others who'd love to share old slot car memories, it was quite a big thing back in the 60s & 70s.

Edited by kayemod, 14 December 2009 - 11:42.

#373 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 18:13

When I had my brief slotcar racing period circa 1970, I bought up a club's circuit in the northwest, the deal funded by my father and brokered by Mike Godfrey, the man who introduced Canon to Williams! It was the era of re-wound Riko(?) engines and foam tyres, bubble bodies that you painted from the inside with great difficulty, and pinned to the brass chassis. I was living in Crosby and the track was from somewhere in that catchment area (Southport?) but my memory fails me. It was the brittle Revell track, and I had tons of it. Any clues, anyone???

#374 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 18:34

There were slot car racing clubs all over the place Tony, the one you had could well have come from Southport, but it wasn't the Southport track that David and I remember. That was a very solid structure on a heavy wood base. It was originally a rail track in the 1950s, the cars ran along a raised rail that carried the current to drive them, and it was one of the last tracks in the Country to convert to slot. ARRA's slots were lengths of plastic extrusion, only one join in the whole lap. These were fixed to the wood base, and then a skilled plasterer club member filled in all the space between for the cars to run on. The end result was considered the smoothest and fastest track in the UK at the time, but it must have weighed several tons when finished. As I said, it was in the Cellars of Walkden Fisher's house, and if the place is still standing, its possible that the track is still there. With low ceilings, narrow doorways, and steps down from the outside, there's no way anyone could have removed it without a massive break-up job first.

#375 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 19:32

Here are some close up photographs of Chas Keelings Harvey Aluminium Special as requested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apart from the very nicely built chassis I love the hand painted signwriting on the bodywork.

Thanks for the fascinating information Rob about ARRA and I stand corrected on Walkden's Porsche, that is a car I wasn't familiar with.

Chas does still trade as SCD, it is remarkable that both Chas and Charlie Fitzpatrick have continuosly traded in the slot car field for all these years.

There was a bit of a North/South divide regarding tyre treatment, you say Galumph - Southerners used to call it Goop. You can't buy Oil of Wintergreen anymore as there have been fatalities due to overuse by some athletes. As you wander around the paddock area of a slot car meeting these days your eyes do still water from the various additives although oiling tyres for about a week before a race meeting is fairly common practice to soften them up. I should also mention that the slot car hobby is bigger now than it ever was in the 1960s and 70s, I've tried to get Barry to come along to one of the retro race meetings without success to date, you and he would love it...

Once again I half apologise for this going a little off topic but that does seem to be par for the course on TNF these days so I don't feel too guilty.

David

#376 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 22:08

Once again I half apologise for this going a little off topic but that does seem to be par for the course on TNF these days so I don't feel too guilty.

David

Don't apologise, that's one of the things that makes TNF so great, you just never know what's going to turn up next. On Chas Keeling's two slot cars, I recognise the 'Elmic' gears, but are those motors Ks Mk 1 or Mk 2? I suspect that the long drive shafts makes them Mk 2s.

Don't know if he would be flattered to know this, but every time I saw Chas in my young slot racing days, he was tall and thin, slicked-back Brylcreamed hair, and wearing a dark suit, he seemed 'old' to me back then. The last time we met must have been about 40 years ago, but every time I see actor Tom Bell on UK TV, I think of Chas Keeling, honestly, I do.

Isn't it strange how things can stick in your mind?

#377 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:47

There were slot car racing clubs all over the place Tony, the one you had could well have come from Southport, but it wasn't the Southport track that David and I remember. That was a very solid structure on a heavy wood base. It was originally a rail track in the 1950s, the cars ran along a raised rail that carried the current to drive them, and it was one of the last tracks in the Country to convert to slot.

I remember visiting the Southport club when still at Junior School. It was a great evening and I thought that I was going to get a Scalextric for Christmas - I got a Hornby electric train set instead! :(

#378 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 15:15

I think it is appropriate to announce my new website here:

automuseums.info - the Motoring Museums' Lighthouse

You can find details on more than 1000 automobile and motorcycle collections. Some tramway, bus and tractor collections have also been included, but our aim was to focus on passenger cars, trucks and motorcycles. Both public museums and open-to-the-public private collections are included with locations shown on Google Maps, opening times and a few words on the collections themselves.
Flexible search options include proximity search, where you can find all museums near a given location.

I hope you'll like this new service, which is absolutely free.

Edited by pnegyesi, 08 March 2010 - 15:46.

#379 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 15:23

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened to the Patrick Collection? I noticed signs for it pointing into an industrial estate near Kings Norton in Birmingham the other day.

Advertisement

#380 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 15:48

According to a friend who helped me on this project: "Patrick Motor Museum, Spoke to an Investment company that have taken over their phone number, they are no longer open."

#381 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:34

I note the search for an ex motor museum in the shape of the Patrick Collection... I am also searching for an ex museum but in Long Island, NY not in the UK so I am necessarily dependent on info from those who liver nearer than I do, as I live in Scotland!!

The museum in question was at the airstrip at Mattituck, Long Island and was the personal collection of the guy who owned and ran the airstrip. When he died some years ago, I believe the contents were auctioned off and may be untraceable. However, as one exhibit was supposedly an Edwardian Thornycroft car like the one I am currently restoring, I hope to be able to trace its current owner.

There is a suggestion that this particular car may actually have found its way back to the UK so my search may be fruitless as it possibly is already known to me, but the possibility that it is another survivor has to be worth investigating, as only two 18HP survivors are known at present.

Hoping someone can help, Martin Shelley

#382 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 23:32

Which car is the Desire Wilson sticker attatched to at Mondello?

Edited by Thundersport, 09 March 2010 - 23:33.

#383 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 13:00

I note the search for an ex motor museum in the shape of the Patrick Collection... I am also searching for an ex museum but in Long Island, NY not in the UK so I am necessarily dependent on info from those who liver nearer than I do, as I live in Scotland!!

The museum in question was at the airstrip at Mattituck, Long Island and was the personal collection of the guy who owned and ran the airstrip.

The guy who ran the museum was Parker Wickham and his company was Mattituck Aviation. Today the company belongs to Teledyne Mattituck Services. http://www.mattituck.com/

This company may be of assistance for you

Good luck!

#384 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 16:36

Fantastic service!!! Just called Teledyne Mattituck on Long Island and spoke with Parker's daughter in law Cindy. Parker is now elderly and frail but still very interested in things, so I hope to speak to him or his son Jay soon. Apparently a lot of the collection went to the Fairbanks Motor Museum in Alaska. Thanks again for the info.

#385 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:40

Fantastic service!!! Just called Teledyne Mattituck on Long Island and spoke with Parker's daughter in law Cindy. Parker is now elderly and frail but still very interested in things, so I hope to speak to him or his son Jay soon. Apparently a lot of the collection went to the Fairbanks Motor Museum in Alaska. Thanks again for the info.

Then you're in luck, Nancy DeWitt is a charming and helpful lady there. You can contact her at the Fountainhead Antique Car and Auto Museum: projects (at) fdifairbanks.com

#386 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:29

Just to let you know that automuseums.info has been slightly revised, because visitors complained that they can't find the search museums link...

#387 MODE

MODE

• 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:59

Matra museum at Romorantin (France), the F1, F2, F3 cars, all the protos and race engines, a Must.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#388 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 14:32

Five Estonia and Esttec cars will be soon exhibited in Autoworld museum in Brussels: three Estonia 21.10's, one Estonia 22, and one Esttec 894. This exhibition is said to be opened on June, 21 and to last about two weeks. So, if anyone is going to visit Autoworld at that time, please take and post here some photos of them (Estonia 22 especially, since this is the only car of this type ever built). Thanks in advance!

#389 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 18:09

Five Estonia and Esttec cars will be soon exhibited in Autoworld museum in Brussels: three Estonia 21.10's, one Estonia 22, and one Esttec 894. This exhibition is said to be opened on June, 21 and to last about two weeks. So, if anyone is going to visit Autoworld at that time, please take and post here some photos of them (Estonia 22 especially, since this is the only car of this type ever built). Thanks in advance!

Autoworld is well worth visiting any way, and easy to Brussels from the UK. I have some photos somewhere. To Follow soon...

#390 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:49

Interesting to see pics from Donnington here. I'm an Aussie, but finally managed to get over there and visit last year. Clearly they change it around at times, becasue I've seen pics of cars here that I did not see/locate during my visit last year.

Anyway, some of mine from July 2009 visit to Donnington:

Senna's Toleman
Posted Image

March 701 (Chris Amon)
Posted Image

McLaren M2B
Posted Image

Cosworth 4 wheel drive car (butt ugly!!)
Posted Image

Cooper T81
Posted Image

BRM P180
Posted Image

BRM P153
Posted Image

Lotus 49B
Posted Image

Tyrrells
Posted Image

Barry Sheene Bike
Posted Image

#391 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:59

I was at Donnington only on Tuesday - I last visited seven years ago - but found no bikes at all. Could I have completely missed an entire hall? At my previous visit there were quite a number of Barry Sheene's bikes as well as a special display of ex-Mike Hailwood works Hondas.

#392 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:35

Paul - as I said, visited there June09, which is when I took the Barry Sheene bike pic - there were also a few others of older bikes.

Clearly they do change it - I noticed someone had a pic of a Louts 72D/E and a Ferrari 312B there - I would have KILLED to see those - but there was only 1 Ferrari in the entire place - a 2000 something of Schumachers.

#393 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:44

Selection of images from the museum at Le Mans....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#394 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:36

Apparently, all, or nearly all, of the bikes at Donington were actually on loan. When it become certain that 'something' would be happening to the Grand Prix Collection, there was a frantic Sunday where a lot of people piled down to Donington and pulled their bikes out before they were stopped doing so. A few of them have ended up at Brooklands Museum.

#395 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:24

March 701 (Chris Amon)
Posted Image

Do you have any full shots of the wind tunnel model (?) in the front right? My brother is a wood pattern marker & has skills similar to these talented craftsmen. Thanks.

#396 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:48

B Squared - sorry I don't have any of that item.

#397 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:35

Does anyone know the current status of the Donington museum - i.e. is it still open, is the collection significantly depleted and so on? I haven't been there since '88 but I'd like to get up there soon, if it's still worth it...

Thanks for any info, and apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere (couldn't find anything on a quick look)

Nigel

#398 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:38

Our on recent visit to Normandy and Brittany we didn't just go and see Caen, we also took the detour to Lohéac and its fabulous Manoir de l'Automobile, already featured earlier in this thread.

Here is a selection of pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots more in our report on 8W.

#399 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 15:59

That's excellent Mattijs. I was intending to go while in France a few weeks ago but family commitments had to take priority and I missed my chance.

The Ligiers particularly interest me. Did you happen to note the model of each of the four cars there?

Advertisement

#400 ripplestrip

ripplestrip

• 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 22:11

not exactly a museum but a fellow photographer posted this on another forum
Lotus 12

Posted Image

Obviously not disclosing the location :(