Photo

Filching Manor Motor Museum

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:58

Seeing the Personal photos from museums thread reminded me of the 1997 Arrows I saw tucked away in a barn at Filtching Manor near Eastbourne quite a few years ago. It was just one of a very varied collection of vehicles that almost seemed to have been parked up and forgotten about, although that obviously wasn't the case as the place was open to the public! There was a link of sorts with Donald Campbell - one of his cars/boats on display? - at the Museum but I don't have any photos (or a great memory it seems!!), hence this thread.

The owner of Filching Manor Motor Museum was Paul Foulkes-Halbard, about whom I know nothing other than this from a local newspaper report of his death in 2003:

Mr Foulkes-Halbard was also a well-known figure in the car world, and belonged to the Bentley Drivers' Club, as well as being a member of the Bugatti Owners' Club...

After a little more digging in my lunch hour it seems as if the Museum is no longer open to the public (?) but that the kart track, the Campbell Circuit, is open for corporate events.

Does anyone know more about Paul Foulkes-Halbard or his museum?

Advertisement

#2 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 13:16

The Birth/Marriage/Death index has

Philip Paul FOULKES-HALBARD born 20 Sept 1937, died Oct 2003 Eastbourne

(Birth registered in Wycombe as Philip P HALBARD, mother nee SMITH)

Something here Re Campbell http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/1531530.stm

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 13:43

quote:
Mr Foulkes-Halbard was also a well-known figure in the car world, and belonged to the Bentley Drivers' Club, as well as being a member of the Bugatti Owners' Club...

Tactfully put, and perhaps we should leave it so.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 18:14

I suspect that it is his son, Karl F-H, who competes at VSCC hillclimbs in a superb 5 litre, 1907 Vanderbilt Cup Corbin. Certainly he was at Prescott last year and the very wet Wiscombe earlier this year. Photos available

Roger Lund.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 20:03

Originally posted by Maldwyn
Does anyone know more about Paul Foulkes-Halbard or his museum?

TNF regular 'f1steveuk' used to be the curator of this museum - I'm sure he'll chip in when he spots this thread. The museum and Mr Foulkes-Halbard have been mentioned in several threads - especially this one:

Lola FJ (?)

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:08

Originally posted by Tim Murray

TNF regular 'f1steveuk' used to be the curator of this museum - I'm sure he'll chip in when he spots this thread. The museum and Mr Foulkes-Halbard have been mentioned in several threads - especially this one:

Lola FJ (?)

Here to chip in! Only just read this, sorry, but I'll answer whatever I can.........

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 14:28

The Arrows was on loan from "someone" in the area (who seems more into bikes these days", as were the AGFA Bluebirds, which Gina has now taken back, for,er, personal reasons.

I'm rather proud to say the kart track was my idea, and opened by my friend Mrs Goldie Gardner, the first race held between members of Richard Noble's 633 land speed team, including DJT (David Tremayne).

Blue Bird K3 was going through a restoration, but I rather doubt it ever will though, she was a dry boat when new ( kept out of the water, and only got wet we used) and I really don't think it could take the vibration of a 27 litre Meteor engine (well that's what I put in it) nor the bumping of water.

Karl opens by appointment only these days, but I don't know if the car sales part still runs either.

Paul was a "funny b@gg*r", he could be er, quite crafty, but also the nicest man you ever met. Selfish in the extreme, but incredibly generous. Bit of an enigma really. I quite miss him......

#8 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 15:03

I was lucky enough to get a tour back in 1988 from memory a Cambell boat was outside and he had a tank bugatti
I took some pics but rather poor by todays standards
The filching manor house was very interesting dating back to the 13th century from memory
terry

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 17:53

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
I was lucky enough to get a tour back in 1988 from memory a Cambell boat was outside and he had a tank bugatti
I took some pics but rather poor by todays standards
The filching manor house was very interesting dating back to the 13th century from memory
terry

So that't when Blue Bird was the wrong shade of blue, and outside the coachhouse, near the house. The tank, I wonder where it went? I recall a genuine chassis, transaxle and steering box, plus a replica body. Tom Weathcroft came to look at it once, and when Paul went off to answer a call Tom dragged me to one said, "come on boy, you know him as well as I, is it real?!"

#10 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 18:52

Originally posted by f1steveuk

Tom dragged me to one said, "come on boy, you know him as well as I, is it real?!"

How could you possibly have answered that??!!!

#11 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 19:05

I didn't!! Tom knew he'd put me on the spot, and said I didn't have to answer, which I think he knew anyway (which was "some of it"). Of course now Tom is over run with tanks, thanks to Kevin!

#12 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:38

There was a wonderful write up on Foulkes-Halbard in 'Supercar Classics' in about 1990 complete with wonderful Bob Freeman drawings. I know nothing of the 'scuttlebutt' that is apparently attached to him. Please, do tell.......

#13 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:40

as i recall the manor had the oldest operating front door in the uk or such....a friend of mine walked into the shop and pfh had a stack 10 high of gp bug dashboards on the mill...."you never know when you might need one" he said with a grin.

#14 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 16:13

Originally posted by David Birchall
I know nothing of the 'scuttlebutt' that is apparently attached to him. Please, do tell.......

I'd best remain quiet on this one!!

#15 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:29

Originally posted by f1steveuk
The Arrows was on loan from "someone" in the area (who seems more into bikes these days", as were the AGFA Bluebirds, which Gina has now taken back, for,er, personal reasons.

I'm rather proud to say the kart track was my idea, and opened by my friend Mrs Goldie Gardner, the first race held between members of Richard Noble's 633 land speed team, including DJT (David Tremayne).

Thanks for the reply :) Compliments to you on the kart track :up: I spent a couple of happy days (one a corporate 'do' and one a stag 'do') going not too quickly but it was a great location and a fun track.

#16 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 20:01

Dammit, I passed this quite by accident recently and was disappointed to find it closed (they need to take that bloody great big sign promising Delages down). I'd've shamelessly name-dropped to sneak in had I had proper internet access at work...