Photo

O/T: Vulcan ready!

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#101 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 16:38

I mentioned earlier about how quiet the skies are now compared with twenty or more years ago, but Mal944's post has reminded me of the night in 1986 when I was woken by the passing, low and very fast, of at least two military aircraft. I thought for a moment that they were scrambling to meet a Russian interloper (what a nice word!), but then realised that we were not under any logical flight-path for such an event. In the morning came the news of the attack on Colonel Gaddafi's house...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 26 August 2009 - 16:39.

Advertisement

#102 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 17:26

I mentioned earlier about how quiet the skies are now compared with twenty or more years ago, but Mal944's post has reminded me of the night in 1986 when I was woken by the passing, low and very fast, of at least two military aircraft. I thought for a moment that they were scrambling to meet a Russian interloper (what a nice word!), but then realised that we were not under any logical flight-path for such an event. In the morning came the news of the attack on Colonel Gaddafi's house...

Could this be what you are referring to?

"On 14 April 1986, 18 F-111s and approximately 25 Navy aircraft executed Operation El Dorado Canyon by conducting air strikes against Libya. The 18 F-111s belonging to the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing flew what turned out to be the longest fighter combat mission in history.[27] The round-trip flight between RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom and Libya of 6,400 miles (10,300 km) spanned 13 hours. One F-111 was shot down over Libya.[27]"................................from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-111

Worthless trivia here. The F-111 that my brother was Crew Chief for, was in the UK for an air show. At some point, they were asked to withdraw the aircraft, with no reason given. Wondering what they did wrong, they returned to a hanger. Upon seeing the ordinance that was to be fitted, they knew something was up. My apologies for waking you up.
Steve

#103 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 17:50

Could this be what you are referring to?

My apologies for waking you up.
Steve

That's it Steve, no apologies required, it's one of the more interesting ways of being woken up! It would be interesting to see the route taken either out or back, if they returned to Lakenheath. I have always assumed it was the outward leg that I heard.

#104 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 18:06

That's it Steve, no apologies required, it's one of the more interesting ways of being woken up! It would be interesting to see the route taken either out or back, if they returned to Lakenheath. I have always assumed it was the outward leg that I heard.

I have sent an e-mail off, & if my brother can remember anything, I'll send you a message. Now, if my memory is correct, wasn't the U.K. the only country that allowed the flights in their airspace?

#105 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 19:26

I have sent an e-mail off, & if my brother can remember anything, I'll send you a message. Now, if my memory is correct, wasn't the U.K. the only country that allowed the flights in their airspace?

It must have been the out-leg, I think Steve, unless the raid took place at night - I should be able, with the known duration of the flight, to work it out, but I'm full of fish pie...

As to permission, no-body asked about using my garden, but they never do! And, yes, we tend to do that, you won't get much co-operation out of anyone else...

#106 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:06

'Mal9444' Given that this delightful thread wanders all over the place and proves that TNFers have interests beyond motor cars (or as my wife would phrase it 'can bore in more than one language...'):

THis is one thing I like about 'off topic' subjects. One feels more as an equal when contributing. Although a relative newcomer to the TNF it appears to me that there exists amongst the membership a certain clique who do not welcome comments from 'interlopers' in the 'on topic' arena.

Edited by retriever, 26 August 2009 - 20:10.

#107 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:13

It must have been the out-leg, I think Steve, unless the raid took place at night - I should be able, with the known duration of the flight, to work it out, but I'm full of fish pie...

As to permission, no-body asked about using my garden, but they never do! And, yes, we tend to do that, you won't get much co-operation out of anyone else...

Regarding cooperation out of anyone else, take a close look here, http://en.wikipedia....th_Durandal.jpg . Goes against all the things I've heard about the French. It also offers a tenuous connection to motorsports

Steve

Edited by beighes, 26 August 2009 - 20:15.

#108 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:29

'Mal9444' Given that this delightful thread wanders all over the place and proves that TNFers have interests beyond motor cars (or as my wife would phrase it 'can bore in more than one language...'):

THis is one thing I like about 'off topic' subjects. One feels more as an equal when contributing. Although a relative newcomer to the TNF it appears to me that there exists amongst the membership a certain clique who do not welcome comments from 'interlopers' in the 'on topic' arena.

Careful what you say, or we'll all be packed off to the Paddock Club  ;)

#109 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:38

Careful what you say, or we'll all be packed off to the Paddock Club ;)

ps. I forgot to mention the fawning sycophants. Now I am really in for it!

#110 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:41

ps. I forgot to mention the fawning sycophants. Now I am really in for it!

:lol: :wave:

#111 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:53

:lol: :wave:

I retract everything, otherwise I will not be able to get the badge and teashirt!

#112 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 22:39

Regarding cooperation out of anyone else, take a close look here, http://en.wikipedia....th_Durandal.jpg . Goes against all the things I've heard about the French. It also offers a tenuous connection to motorsports

Steve

Ah well, there was money to be made...!

#113 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 22:49

Ah well, there was money to be made...!

And......................they were not delivering .
Steve

#114 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:49

Almost certainly the out-leg. We're a few miles to the east of Tony - midway between Old Warden and Duxford - and I still remember the sight of a gaggle of F111a (plus some tankers, I think) forming up in a blue sky over our house, probably at about 6pm. It was only later we learned that they were on their way to see the Colonel.

Someone mentioned Alconbury earlier. They used to stage pretty wonderful airshows in the mid-80s - one had a Lightning (one of its last airshow appearances?) and an F15 on the same bill, the first time I'd seen one of these new-fangled 'twin-fin' devices in action (keeping the nose high on the landing roll for some extra aerodynamic braking was quite novel then). But the best part was probably the statics, which usually had their 'driver' in attendance. These included a resident TR1 (nee U2), complete with space-suited bloke. He claimed to have flown in that morning, turning off the engine over North Carolina and coaating in from there. Always wondered if that was really possible, despite the great operational heights they flew (fly?) at, as seen in the recent James May programe.

Airshows seem very dull these days - hardly any military ones, and those mainly composed of angry palm trees/egg whisks aviating by beating the air into submission.

Edited by Odseybod, 27 August 2009 - 08:52.

#115 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:57

Almost certainly the out-leg. We're a few miles to the east of Tony - midway between Old Warden and Duxford - and I still remember the site of a gaggle of F111a (plus some tankers, I think) forming up in a blue sky over our house, probably at about 6pm. It was only later we learned that they were on their way to see the Colonel.

I can't remember what time of night it was that I was jolted out of my much-needed beauty sleep, but it was pitch black, so maybe what you saw, Tony, was a general assembly before a later star - a sort of parade lap. I'm not sure of proceedure, but I think they refuel very shortly after take-off, as loaded with weapons they use a lot of fuel to get into the air - but otherwise the tankers would not be seen with the F-111's - would they?

#116 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:06

I can't remember what time of night it was that I was jolted out of my much-needed beauty sleep, but it was pitch black, so maybe what you saw, Tony, was a general assembly before a later star - a sort of parade lap. I'm not sure of proceedure, but I think they refuel very shortly after take-off, as loaded with weapons they use a lot of fuel to get into the air - but otherwise the tankers would not be seen with the F-111's - would they?

Um, not sure, Tony. Yes, probably refuel shortly after take-off but then I think they maybe proceed 'in convoy' to somewhere near the destination, have another top-up, then zoom off to the target while the tankers turn for home, maybe being caught up by the F111s for a final slurp after they'd done the deed. Perhaps those that so rudely wok you up were a late addition to the published programme, or on their way to carry out a BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) afterwards? Let's se what the Operational Types can tell us!

#117 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:25

Someone mentioned Alconbury earlier. They used to stage pretty wonderful airshows in the mid-80s...

Think I'm that 'somebody', and yes those Alconbury air shows were quite something, the best I've ever been to. There didn't seem to be any heavy security, at least not by today's standards, you could wander round all the planes parked on the ground, and somewhere or other I have a photo of me with my head right up an F111 tailpipe. At one 80s Alconbury show I remember, aerobatic teams from most of the NATO nations took part. We had the French flying Fouga Magisters, the Italians with FIAT G91s, and US Thunderbirds (?) with T38 jet trainers, standards rising all the time, and then the Red Arrows appeared flying Hawker Hunters, and showed all the rest up with a truly brilliant display. The French, Italians and Yanks were all good of course, but the Arrows were just on a different level of performance. I think that was the first full Red Arrows display I'd seen, they weren't quite as ubiquitous as they seem to be today. I've seen them many times since then, most recently at the Goodwood FoS in July, and over Bournemouth last Sunday, and they never fail to impress.

#118 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:07

Um, not sure, Tony. Yes, probably refuel shortly after take-off but then I think they maybe proceed 'in convoy' to somewhere near the destination, have another top-up, then zoom off to the target while the tankers turn for home, maybe being caught up by the F111s for a final slurp after they'd done the deed. Perhaps those that so rudely wok you up were a late addition to the published programme, or on their way to carry out a BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) afterwards? Let's se what the Operational Types can tell us!

I would be surprised - nearly always a pleasant feeling - if the F-111's and tankers flew in convoy, I thought the tankers loitered near the re-fuelling points along the way. Yes, it could have been a supporting event that shook the house!

...and then the Red Arrows appeared flying Hawker Hunters, and showed all the rest up with a truly brilliant display.

The American airshows were brilliant, and you are right about the laid back attitude, Rob - I was also impressed by the real friendliness of all the personnel, from the entrance gates to the hot-dog stands. However, were they Hunters at that time? I thought they had changed by then, and that the Hunters only flew in black, but the name of the team won't come to me - although I've got the first word...

#119 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:36

I would be surprised - nearly always a pleasant feeling - if the F-111's and tankers flew in convoy, I thought the tankers loitered near the re-fuelling points along the way. Yes, it could have been a supporting event that shook the house!

However, were they Hunters at that time?

I'm sure you're right, I meant Hawks of course, but they could still have been using the Folland Gnats they started with. Probably like you, I've reached the stage when I can remember what I ate for breakfast on Pancake Day in 1973, but forget what I've just come upstairs for...

Advertisement

#120 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:39

...and another thing, I've just remembered that the Red Arrows were preceded by the Black Arrows, and they did fly Hawker Hunters.

#121 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:53

The American airshows were brilliant, and you are right about the laid back attitude, Rob - I was also impressed by the real friendliness of all the personnel, from the entrance gates to the hot-dog stands. However, were they Hunters at that time? I thought they had changed by then, and that the Hunters only flew in black, but the name of the team won't come to me - although I've got the first word...

Bring back Mildenhall Air Fete, says I. From SR-71 to B1B to F117 to B2 in successive years - plus great-value admission, burgers and Buds too. Still pining for it.

I'm sure you're right, I meant Hawks of course, but they could still have been using the Folland Gnats they started with. Probably like you, I've reached the stage when I can remember what I ate for breakfast on Pancake Day in 1973, but forget what I've just come upstairs for...

I think this is why they're recently introduced the remote-control Stannah stairlift, so you can send it upstairs and back down again on your behalf, by which time you might have remembered what you were going up there for. Labour-saving and ingenious :) .

#122 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:56

I think this is why they're recently introduced the remote-control Stannah stairlift, so you can send it upstairs and back down again on your behalf, by which time you might have remembered what you were going up there for. Labour-saving and ingenious :) .

But I'd keep forgetting to use it.

#123 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:07

...and another thing, I've just remembered that the Red Arrows were preceded by the Black Arrows, and they did fly Hawker Hunters.

Continuing this nostalgic wander down memory lane with one's face turned skywards:

http://www.wingweb.c...in_service.html

#124 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:15

Continuing this nostalgic wander down memory lane with one's face turned skywards:

http://www.wingweb.c...in_service.html

We met some RNVR pilots about 15 years ago, who were staying in the same hotel near Lossiemouth. They particularly liked the Hunters they were flying, as its luggage compartment was big enough to hold a set of golf clubs. A gentleman's fast jet, they reckoned - presumably why the Swiss hung onto theirs for so long.

Edited by Odseybod, 27 August 2009 - 11:15.

#125 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:17

Both returning to the original topic, and veering straight off it again, here's one of the pics I took last Sunday.

Posted Image
Shot with NIKON D300 at 2009-08-27

I've left all the photo info there for a reason. 'Professional' Nikons are a lot less forgiving than their supposedly amateur brethren, but I usually kid myself that having done this for a living in years gone by and owned several dozen of the things, I have a pretty fair idea what I'm doing, well most of the time anyway. Fondly imagining that I knew better than the camera, I tried altering the focus settings in an attempt to speed everything up, but this resulted in about two hundred mostly ever slightly out of focus pics. I'd probably have got better results by using a Stannah stairlift to take all my photos.

#126 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:21

I also lived in the Huntingdon/St.Neots area for years. With Alconbury and Wyton so close, there were always aircraft doing circuits right over our village back in the 70s & 80s. F4 phantoms (or Smokey Joes' as the locally based Americans called them), A10 tank busters, U2 spyplanes, F5 Tigers and various transport aircraft in and out from Alconbury, from Wyton it was mostly Canberras. A friend who worked at Wyton in the '60s told me about a Vulcan that had a nose wheel collapse on landing and it did a flip on the runway. Occasionally we had Harriers flying around, they were based just up the road near Peterborough at Wittering.

In the early to mid '70s there were often passenger jets doing circuits close to St.Neots, over the area north of Bedford as RAF Thurleigh (now Jonathan Palmer's MSV Bedford track) was a training base for commercial pilots. Doing bumps and circuits in 747s etc, Concorde was a visitor for a while before it started the transatlantic routes.

Previously I lived just south of Cambridge. I remember being in the back yard in summer '68 and then hearing this really loud din, looked across and at about 250 feet, just a few hundred yards away, a whole squadron of 30 plus aircraft, Spitfires, Hurricanes, BF109s, Heinkel HE111s and the Mitchell B25 camera plane were in formation during the filming of 'The Battle of Britain'. A lot of it was filmed at Duxford, just a few miles away, where the aircraft were based that summer. Many of the cast including Michael Caine etc would eat at a restaurant just down the road where my Mum worked.

That was a fantastic summer, at Duxford most days on the back lane across from the airfield, watching the aircraft take off, circle to formate then off for 'dog fights' and back in the afternoon. We were also there when they blew the hangar up. The sound of Merlin's filled the air that summer, terrific memories.

I'm now in Norfolk by Snetterton, fairly close by we have Lakenheath ( where the F111's mentioned earlier flew from ) and Mildenhall, both vast US bases and very active today in the 'war on terror' as they call it. F15s are always overhead daily, usually in pairs or a 4 ship, based at Lakenheath now. Mildenhall has become a huge tanker base and transfer base for personnel coming from the US into Europe. C5 Galaxy's, Starlifters, C17s, KC135 tankers are regularly seen, just the other day a U2 was spotted taking off from there by a friend. The SR71 Blackbird was also based at Mildenhall up until the mid 80s.

Tornadoes from Marham and various helicopters from Wattisham, the skies of East Anglia are still very busy, infact the news the other day was saying military traffic was up 30% on 6 years ago, because of training for the ongoing missions.
North of Thetford is the huge army training area, a couple of evenings per week we are buzzed by low level Hercules' on their way across the training area. It's a great place to live if you like aircraft.

#127 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:32

Folland Gnat - what a pretty little plane. As for breakfast on Pancake Day, no problem, it's the day before and the day after that I can't remember...

#128 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:04

About RAF Lakenheath and what to see:
http://www.thunder-a...lakenheath.html

#129 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 15:08

Great thread this chaps! I recall Vulcans over my house just west of Leicester in the early 70s, and very low. From Cottesmore I assume. We were also close to the flightpath for East Mids, so loads of Viscounts then, plus the odd Dakota and Argosy, and later the Mechantmen.

I saw a 'little' 747 flying out of Nice last week, were these the 'SP' variant, and quite rare as I recall. An Arab owned Bozjet perhaps??

#130 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 15:10

Back in the mid to late sixties I was a member of the Taunton Motoring Club and that club along with the Yeovil Car club used to hold a sprint meeting on a tarmac loop that abutted RNAS Yeovilton. This are being a small part sold off after the war. On the Saturday we used todrive down in the old Morris van with the stakes and rope to create the public enclosures etc.

The event coincided with the Yeovillton Air Day which then really had something to offer. The eastern end of the main runway was less than 100 yards from the area we used and we had a grandstand view of Sea Vixens, Phantoms, Buccaneers and visiting aircraft such as Hercules taking off just over our heads, plus of course the sound.

Hard to remember after all these years who entered the sprint - but I remember Jonathan Buncombe in his Cooper S and Spencer Elton and his father in their Coopers. Plus another chap who sprinted and hillclimbed a Marcos.

The Taunton Motoring Club also held sprints at Merrifield airfield, nr Ilminster for a few years. Then it was re-activated by the MoD as a practice airfield for the Yeovil helicopter fleet, a role it still plays today. Yeovilton lost its fixed wing aircraft with the grounding of the Sea Harrier fleet and transfer of Harrier pilots and personnel to the combined Harrier force at RAF Cottesmore.

One day fixed wing aircraft will return with the advent of the squadrons for the two new carriers - that is is they are not cancelled in the defence review!

#131 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 18:00

One morning in Walberswick, Suffolk, we made an early trip to the beach - a beautiful morning, a thickish mist but you could make out a blue tinge above and the sun was trying to break through. Then a sound became apparent, but difficult to locate, a familiar and exciting sound, and suddenly a Vulcan appeared , just over the mouth of the River Blyth, heading inland, about two hundred yards from us, and I reckond about two hundred and fifty feet up, the weak sunlight glinting on the fuselage. It disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, a wonderful sight. I mentioned this to an ex-Vulcan pilot in my local some time later, and he said "It was flying at 500 feet!" I said I knew the Vulcan was about 100 feet long, and it was about two and a half fuselages from the ground. He gave me one of those looks and his voice hardened slightly. "No, Tony, it was 500 feet!"

Which, I suppose, is the minimum legal height...

About an hour later the mist, which had been slowly burning off, parted to reveal three mine-sweepers anchored about a quarter of a mile off-shore. Weird...

#132 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 18:06

Couple of pics from Patrick Fletcher:

1. note the kiwi that the NZ ground crew have stuck on;

Posted Image

2. taken by an Aussie tourist as it flew through Milford Sound soon after.

Posted Image

#133 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 18:44

There seems to be a bit of a struggle with RAF official aerobatic team names above. As far as I can recall, in chronological order, it was:
111 Sqn Hunters - the Black Arrows
92 Sqn Hunters - the Blue Diamonds
74 Sqn Lightnings - the Tigers
56 Sqn Lightnings - the Firebirds
CFS Jet Provosts - the Red Pelicans
5? FTS (Valley) Gnats - the Yellowjacks
CFS Gnats - the Red Arrows
then the Red Arrows as a separately established team with Gnats and, later, Hawks.
(although someone can probably correct that with Googling).

I think only the RN GA11 (training) Hunters had the "luggage compartment" (only 1 of the 4 guns in the removable pack was fitted, leaving the space).

We also have one or two wrong mixes of names of USAF "century series" fighters. Correct list:
F100 Super Sabre
F101 Voodoo
F102 Delta Dagger
F104 Starfighter
F105 Thunderchief
F106 Delta Dart (was this really a "regular" sighting in the UK? - surely rarely if at all seen here - it was the CONUS air defence?)

#134 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 19:32

These included a resident TR1 (nee U2), complete with space-suited bloke. He claimed to have flown in that morning, turning off the engine over North Carolina and coaating in from there. Always wondered if that was really possible, despite the great operational heights they flew (fly?) at, as seen in the recent James May programe.

From what I remember from the James May programme, U2s fall out of the sky at the slightest provocation, never mind turning the engine off!

#135 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,026 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 23:13

Despite having seen a Vulcan upside down once, I'm at a loss to know why, in their later days, both as bombers and tankers, they were painted in camo on the undersides. Any offers?

#136 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 23:22

We also have one or two wrong mixes of names of USAF "century series" fighters. Correct list:

F101 Voodoo

I thought at the time of writing that F109 was too high for the Voodoo, but didn't have time to check. These numbers were once burned into my brain - perhaps a refresher course is called for!

#137 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 23:32

I thought at the time of writing that F109 was too high for the Voodoo, but didn't have time to check. These numbers were once burned into my brain - perhaps a refresher course is called for!

F-109 - temporarily reserved for what would become the F-101B, but never officially assigned. Only if Wikipedia is correct.

#138 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:25

There seems to be a bit of a struggle with RAF official aerobatic team names above. As far as I can recall, in chronological order, it was:
111 Sqn Hunters - the Black Arrows
92 Sqn Hunters - the Blue Diamonds
74 Sqn Lightnings - the Tigers
56 Sqn Lightnings - the Firebirds
CFS Jet Provosts - the Red Pelicans
5? FTS (Valley) Gnats - the Yellowjacks
CFS Gnats - the Red Arrows
then the Red Arrows as a separately established team with Gnats and, later, Hawks.
(although someone can probably correct that with Googling).

I think only the RN GA11 (training) Hunters had the "luggage compartment" (only 1 of the 4 guns in the removable pack was fitted, leaving the space).

Re.the Hunters,I think you can add 43 sqn who had a team before 111.I think the first aerobatic team I saw-at Biggin Hill?

#139 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:51

F100 Super Sabre
F101 Voodoo
F102 Delta Dagger
F104 Starfighter
F105 Thunderchief
F106 Delta Dart (was this really a "regular" sighting in the UK? - surely rarely if at all seen here - it was the CONUS air defence?)

Thanks for that, I've just corrected one typo error in an earlier post. We used to see all kinds of 'non-standard' stuff at Alconbury, probably training exercises and the like, lots of F104 Starfighters, usually with German markings, and it was a very busy place with stuff coming and going all the time, US Navy planes like Skyhawks and Grumman Trackers were also regular visitors. On the Delta Darts and Delta Daggers, I was told these were an unusual sight at the time, I think they had something like NATIONAL GUARD written along the fuselage, so again possibly some kind of training exercise, but they weren't often stationed outside the US were they?

Advertisement

#140 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:33

Despite having seen a Vulcan upside down once, I'm at a loss to know why, in their later days, both as bombers and tankers, they were painted in camo on the undersides. Any offers?

The idea is that since at low heigths they would be spotted anyway, a disruptive scheme would have made aiming a bit more difficult for optic tracked AA.

#141 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 16:55

Posted Image

Just found this and thought I'd post it. Farewell tour, Cranfield, looks like a Manta ray and nine pilot fish...

#142 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:22

Bumping this: there's a James Bond festival running on TV here, they're replaying the entire series from Dr No onwards. They've got to Thunderball so far, which featured Vulcan bombers of course (although the one which hit the water was manifestly a model). Good takeoff shots, and air-to-air shots, of the real thing.

By coincidence, yesterday at the Gingin British Car Show I was chatting to a Rolls-Royce enthusiast who, it transpired, was a Briton who happened to be with 617 squadron when it flew Vulcans, out of Scampton. He flew in them, fogot to ask if he was a pilot.

#143 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 22:06

I remember seeing Vulcans flying over RAF Akrotiri in the early sixties, ten years later I went on a cadet camp at RAF Waddington where the Vulcans were still operational, they really were amongst the most inspiring aircraft I ever saw in the sky or on the ground.

Slightly off topic here is some footage I took of the Red Arrow's with my then new handycam at Goodwood last year.

http://www.youtube.c...u/8/NPpoEKITPog

#144 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:02

Vulcan freak alert-I see that it is already parked up at RNAS Yeovilton ready for Saturday-we hope, after last years disappointment.

#145 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 16:20

Wasn't she at Goodwood over the weekend?

#146 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 17:02

Wasn't she at Goodwood over the weekend?

Yep,and Waddington same day I think :wave:

#147 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 17:03

She was there. The commentator said that it was a close-run thing as the renewed Certificate of Airworthiness had only come through a couple of days earlier.

#148 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 542 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 17:41

I was passing Kemble Airfield on saturday about 1pm and was "buzzed" by the Vulcan which appeared to be doing some low level fly past circuits around the airfield, presumably a quick practice en route to both Goodwood and RAF Waddington.

Must have been no more than 500 feet, maybe less ;)

The kids loved it, and still louder than hell!

#149 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 423 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:28

Forgive me, in the time available I've not read all 120+ posts, and maybe someone's been here already with this story. Everyone who was there that day is surely still telling it...

July '78, either the week before or after Reutemann had nipped round Lauda to win at Brands, after Giacomelli got in the way. The weather was hot and cloudless. I and the rest of the Newcastle University archaeology undergraduates digging at Housesteads, the legionary fort on Hadrian's Wall, were taking a day off.

We were walking westwards, about three-quarters of a mile west of the Whin Sill, the cliff on which part of Hadrian's Wall lies. I remember I was walking with my head down because of the sun, laughing with someone about something .... when suddenly from behnd us came the most ENORMOUS ROAR.

A Vulcan was over on its starboard wing tip, completely at right angles to the ground, and very few feet off it. He'd flown straight at the Whin Sill, and was doing a right-hand u-ey at the last possible moment. Then he roared back to the north, still at not many feet.

Quite probably every one of us had a camera, and no one had the presence of mind to record the moment.

A bit like a dozen or so years earlier, watching Jim Clark deliberately steer his Lotus Cortina into the ditch outside Oulton Park's Old Hall Corner to avoid a spinning car ... momentary silence ... then lots of revs, back on the road, and on to victory.

Unbelievable, unforgetable ... and un-photographed.

#150 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 839 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:42

I know that quite a few TNFrs folow the aircraft preservation scene and many will know that the Avro Vulcan, XH558, is facing another winter of crisis.

Following her display at the Coventry Fly-In last Sunday, 26th September, the Vulcan is now back at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire. A press release has been issued and there has been a good deal of coverage in the general media as to whether or not this will have been her last flying appearance. The Vulcan to the Sky Trust is aiming to raise £400,000 to kee the aircraft flying into at least 2012 - the type's 60th anniversary - in which it is intended to take part in the opening ceremony for the Olympics. The link below gives details.

XH558 link to funding press release