videos on main page

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:37

Hi staff,

My issue is that the videos play automatically instead of waiting for a user to click play. Since the playlist plays one after the other, if you browse to autosport.com and wander off for a coffee or some such, you get hit for bandwidth use you are not actually using.

I know it's probably not that much (several hundred mb at most?) but over time this adds up, and as someone who visits autosport multiple times per week I'm sure it's affecting my internet bill.

Is it possible to have the videos static on first load and only playing at the click of the play button please.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:09

Also, if you're in an office and perhaps viewing webpages when you should be doing something else, the loud sound kind of gives the game away... :-)

#3 Costaz

Costaz

• 3,226 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 13:16

I would like to second the request of the OP. I actually meant to send something on the subject myself. While I had unlimited access I didn't give it a second thought, but not that I access the internet with a rather tight package, it can be a problem.

Cheers,
C.

#4 Goma

Goma

• 91 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 17:08

I think they don't autoplay if you are logged in (just checked it in my computer with Firefox & IE).

#5 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 17:36

Just to clarify, the video autoplays muted if you are not logged in. If you are logged, the TV player doesn't autoplay, nor does it contain any ads when you do play it.

#6 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 20:48

If you use Firefox, do yourself a favour and install the Flashblock add-on. This replaces Flash objects on pages with the flash logo. You can then click on the logo if you want to actually view the thing instead the browser downloading everything as soon as you hit the page. You can "whitelist" pages and sites where you don't want to have to click every time like youtube.

I don't advocate blocking adverts, but with so much video embedded in web pages these days (often with sound enabled by default) you need flashblock or something like it to avoid constant annoyance.

#7 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:30

You're right, however at work the group policies wipe cookies so it makes it annoying to log in every time I check the news. Request still stands.

#8 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 15:07

If you use Firefox, do yourself a favour and install the Flashblock add-on. This replaces Flash objects on pages with the flash logo. You can then click on the logo if you want to actually view the thing instead the browser downloading everything as soon as you hit the page. You can "whitelist" pages and sites where you don't want to have to click every time like youtube.

I don't advocate blocking adverts, but with so much video embedded in web pages these days (often with sound enabled by default) you need flashblock or something like it to avoid constant annoyance.

thanks, I've been using adblock to block autosport.tv out. i'll give flashblock a chance.

edit: works like a charm!

Edited by Ruud de la Rosa, 02 November 2009 - 15:16.