• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#101 cavvy

cavvy

• 171 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:52

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Jacky Ickx?

Plenty have run at Bathurst while competing in F1, especially after the US GP left Watkins Glen... which usually clashed to some degree with the Bathurst race.

Gerhard Berger drove the Bob Jane BMW635 at the first GP in Adelaide whilst on F1 duty with Arrows.

Berger drove for BMW in tourers in Europe that year.

Adelaide was a dnf after ex Jane team member John Harvey punted Berger into the kitty litter.

Dont believe a F1 driver has driven anything else in anger on the day of the GP since.

Advertisement

#102 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:47

I've confirmed with Jack Brabham that he rolled the Alan Brown Galaxie...

It happened at Goodwood in 1964, I'm sure there would be pictures of it somewhere, I know I've seen one with the front of the car sort of tapered right across.

#103 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:00

Darn all these posts about the 427 Galaxie make me wish I could go out and buy one!
Bob

#104 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:41

Reference Mariner (April 1) and the Ford Falcon Futura Sprints. The Alan Mann cars he raced in Britain were from the Monte Carlo Rally fleet. I say fleet because twenty of them were built.
When Ford decided to do the Monte with Alan Mann , Alan went through the regulations and in particular FIA homologation requirements. He wanted to take off some of the weight and talked to the USA about it. He was told that at the time Ford were building complete Fibreglass front bodywork kits for people involved in drag racing and when they checked they found they had made more than the amount needed to have this homologated as an optional extra so the cars ran the Monte - and subsequently raced - with Fibreglass front ends. I know this for a fact because I covered the rally with Henry Manney and when the rally ended Ford's US PR man gave us one of the recce cars that had been used by their camera crew and we took it up into the mountains behind Monaco. I have a tape recording of us running the car and you can hear the squeaking from where the Fibreglass panels met the steel ones. The car was completely gutted with just two bucket seats. Even the electric fuel pump was hung from the back parcel shelf. I remember writing at the time that with around 300 bhp in a car that felt like it was the weight of a current English Ford Zephyr it was the first car I had driven I would have been happy to die in!
A rather dramatic statement but I was truly impressed. What also made it wonderful was the five speed manual gearbox.
Finally a true story that happened during Ford's recce. THose old enough to remember will know that Graham Hill was a member of the team on the Monte. On one stage during the recce - the roads were open - he came up behind a local farmer in his 2CV Citroen ( A model once called by John Sprinzel " a French confidence trick"). This farmer was lazily driving along blocking the road until Graham gave him a blast of the horn. About 200 metres further on the Citroen turned right down what looked like a farm track so Graham blasted on. A few miles further down the stage he came round a corner to see the same little Citroen coming out of a side road. When he got back to Monaco he told Alan Mann about this and Alan marked the spot on the map. Then, during the rally, one of the US support crews finished the task they had and were told by Alan Mann to go to this side road ahead of the rally and go down about 100 metres and turn their car across the side road and block it. The story I was told that just before the first cars were due two French policemen came down and shone their torches in the Galaxie recce car whilst the American crew kidded on they were sleeping. Then whenever one of the factory Citroen DS 19's came along the policemen waved their torches. Of course they were just pleased to see their local factory cars or else Rene Trauttman was going to get a pretty quick time on the stage.

I have attached a photo taken by Henry Manney of me attacking one of the hairpins. You can see that the bodywork is different up to the rear door post.

Posted Image

#105 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:28

Ray, I found this on something called ponysite.de. Quote from Jack.
"I only drove the Mustang and was not involved with buying it. I did not crash the Mustang, but in '64 I crashed Alan Brown's Galaxy at Goodwood with a flat tyre.
ISTR that DCN has mentioned it sometime. I cannot see any mention in Jack's "When the flag drops", or DCN's recent tome with JB
Roger

Edit; looks like the Easter Meeting , March 30, will check MS report, no Autosports available..

#106 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:06

[QUOTE "I only drove the Mustang and was not involved with buying it. I did not crash the Mustang, but in '64 I crashed Alan Brown's Galaxy at Goodwood with a flat tyre."..
Ray, from DCN's recent tome with JB, pp169 and 170, Jack braked early going into Madgwick feeling something funny with the car, and went on into the bank... ended up looking eye to eye with a spectator...on JB's return to the pit Alan Brown asked how the car was .
The car was described as "a mess"
Roger

#107 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 14:56

Just to clarify the homologation of lightweight panels, they could not be homologated as "options" under the then Appendix J (hence the Lotus Cortina having to be manufactured with them until sufficient cars had been made to convince the authority that 1000 actually had). The Falcon had to be a "new" model (Futura Sprint?), all made with the lightweight panels, to obtain homologation with them.
From 1.1.66. the new Appendix J Gp2 allowed option panels if a sufficient quantity of them had been made for aftermarket sale (hence the Lotus Cortina from then on having to face opposition that was lighter than before where the actual Alfa, BMW etc. model had not been manufactured with lightweight panels). This didn't help the Falcon in that respect in the BSCC, as that had gone Gp5 that year.

#108 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 15:46

For anyone who's interested and got access to a copy, theres a photograph of the Jack Brabham Galaxie, pre-accident, in Tony Gardiner's book 'Goodwood in the Sixties'.

#109 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 18:05

...and I now realise that maybe the picture of it post-crash may have been in The Ultimate Excitement, Nigel Snowdon's excellent photo book.

#110 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 18:32

Re: Falcons- If anyone's interested, I have copies of the homologation papers and the Ford brochure for the "Falcon Rallye Sprint" with all of the homologated parts. Most of the part numbers start with "HM" as in Holman-Moody.
I love those cars!
Anton

#111 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 23:28

More pics courtesey of Peter Darley...

"The Galaxie thread seems to have morphed into a Falcon thread !

Following on from Graham Gauld’s post (#104) the attached are some photos from the Alan Mann stable.

The first two are of Graham Hill on the RAC Rally, taken at Prescott Hill Climb. Bjorn may get excited about the Castrol service truck in the background!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is Frank Gardner in the Falcon after the following Fraser Imp unwisely had got in the way!"

Posted Image

All photos: copyright Peter Darley

#112 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 23:32

Originally posted by Twin Window

The Galaxie thread seems to have morphed into a Falcon thread !

Thread title now amended in order to accommodate both models!

The last shot looks to me like it was taken at Brands, between the exit of Graham Hill/Bottom Bend and Surtees/Kidney...

#113 Carles Bosch

Carles Bosch

• 145 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:15

"The Galaxie thread seems to have morphed into a Falcon thread !

Following on from Graham Gauld’s post (#104) the attached are some photos from the Alan Mann stable.

The first two are of Graham Hill on the RAC Rally, taken at Prescott Hill Climb. Bjorn may get excited about the Castrol service truck in the background!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is Frank Gardner in the Falcon after the following Fraser Imp unwisely had got in the way!"

Posted Image

All photos: copyright Peter Darley

Both Graham Hill's photos in the RAC Rally, are they of 1963? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Carles.

#114 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:03

Thread title now amended in order to accommodate both models!

The last shot looks to me like it was taken at Brands, between the exit of Graham Hill/Bottom Bend and Surtees/Kidney...

Yes indeed! Classic Brands, in the '60's, I was there as usual, I still cannot see how the panels got dented as they did, keeping in mind the front of the Imp is smashed and the drivers door caved in :eek: The Alan Mann car was such a great looking, beautiful prepared, well driven, winning Ford. When the race was over we had Frank's acerbic wit to amuse us :up:

Incidentally, going out onto the long circuit, the Falcons would make the "Motor" bridge shake but the Imps were also entertaining as they "rocked" front and back (something to do with the driveshafts I think). The great days of BSC ;)

#115 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 14:19

Originally posted by Carles Bosch

Both Graham Hill's photos in the RAC Rally, are they of 1963? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Carles.

No, the 63 RAC cars were the earlier model with more rounded front end.
As Carles is suggesting, there is a problem here, not least because the RAC entry numbered about 180 in both 63 and 64, not 201 plus. I have no record of Falcons on the 64 RAC. The car shown seems to be the model used on the 64 Monte Carlo. Also, I don't have any of the 63 RAC Falcons listed as driven by NGH.
Could these photos be of a special event (televised? - what we might now call a "Rallysprint") that was held at Prescott in that era?

The 63 RAC Rally Falcons were crewed by:
Bo Lungfeldt/Fergus Sager No. 30
Peter Jopp/Les Leston No 43
Denise McCluggage/Rosemary Seers No 174

#116 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 14:41

Would the car also not have the mandatory "Monte" plates on it, if in the rally?

#117 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 14:53

The '64 Monte cars, incl spares, all had reg nos in the ZE1048 to ZE1052 range IIRC
Roger Lund

#118 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 15:02

I'm sure it's a car used on the 64 Monte (may well be NGH's Monte car) but photos are not the RAC Rally or the Monte Carlo Rally as no plates fitted and I don't think any Falcons started the Monte at Glasgow, so would not have been at any Prescott passage control in the unlikely event the 64 Monte route to Dover went that way.

I don't seem to have a full list of the Monte Falcon entries:

Bo Lungfeldt (who would have won on scratch)
Jo Schlesser
Henri Greder
Graham Hill (ZE-1050?)
?

Bo Lungfeldt (FR-2274?)
Ann Hall?
Peter Jopp?
?
?

#119 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 15:27

Bill Price's BMC Comps Dept book refers to a series of BBC TV events, known as "Mini Montes", in which as far as possible drivers used the actual cars they had driven on the Monte. The 63 event was at Brands Hatch (and the 63 Monte Falcons were in any case not the type in the photo). Some subsequent post-Monte events are said to have been held at Prescott.
It seems a fair assumption that the photos are of the event held shortly after the 64 Monte.

Advertisement

#120 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 15:36

Originally posted by bradbury west
The '64 Monte cars, incl spares, all had reg nos in the ZE1048 to ZE1052 range IIRC
Roger Lund

Well, ZE 1050 falls within that range !

However, I have had a look at other photos off the same roll and offer the following to clarify (or confuse)

There were TWO Falcons, No's 201 and 141. Both completed the hillclimb
The MGB behind the Falcon at the start carries a Monte Carlo plate and No.83 (Reg. No. 7 DBL)
Paddy Hopkirk and Peter Harper were there, also Dean Delamont
Mini Reg No. 477 BBL carries a Monte plate and No. 39 mounted flat on bonnet
Mini Reg No. 569 FMO carries a Monte plate and No. 37
Raymond Baxter was there with BBC Outside Broadcast Unit, Bedford Artic and support vans

Hope this helps !

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus.

#121 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 18:49

Well it confirms the "rallysprint" at Prescott in 64 (not sure whether just the hillclimb course was used or the return road etc. as well).
7DBL was the Morleys' MGB No 83 on the 64 Monte (GT category winner).
569FMO was Rauno Aaltonen's 997cc Cooper from the Monte but it had carried No 105 on the rally.
477BBL was Baxter's 997 Cooper from the Monte which had carried No 39. Price has this reg as 477BBL but Browning has it as 477ABL (not to be confused with Pat Moss' much better known 997 Cooper, 737ABL.
No.37 was carried by Hopkirk's winning 1071 Cooper S on the 64 Monte.
Transferring rally plates from one car to another as part of post-event publicity was not unknown at Abingdon (as was building replicas - the 65 Monte winner of Makinen being a known example).

#122 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 19:10

Only the Hill Climb was used, the return road was used for its original purpose

#123 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 20:44

Nothing in Life at the Limit apart from NGH's story of how he and Ian Walker had 10 days for a full recce of the special stages, plus their travails with the car, but, in Automobile Year 12 there is a good shot of NGH and Walker, wearing intercoms, on the Turini. However, even though it is a rear view shot, the number plate is filthy and only shows ZE 105....., but the car is white, marked like the Prescott car, so it may be the same one. Hill mentions that he used one of the "company" Falcons out of Lincoln Cars on the Great Wets Road as a hack prior to the event, and prior to going to the Tasman series. I think the other colour scheme was blue with a white flash, as opposed to. white with blue.
Roger Lund.

#124 Dave Wright

Dave Wright

• 267 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 21:25

According to race reports, Frank spun at Westfield Bend and Graham Hill (Lotus Cortina) hit him in the door (Guards International Trophy Meeting, 28th August 1967).

Also the report says Gordon Spice (1.3 Mini) and Bernard Unett's Fraser Imp tangled at Clearways and Spice went into the ditch, but Unett recovered, so I guess the Imp is Unett's.

#125 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 21:48

Originally posted by Dave Wright

According to race reports, Frank spun at Westfield Bend and Graham Hill (Lotus Cortina) hit him in the door (Guards International Trophy Meeting, 28th August 1967).

Also the report says Gordon Spice (1.3 Mini) and Bernard Unett's Fraser Imp tangled at Clearways and Spice went into the ditch, but Unett recovered, so I guess the Imp is Unett's.

Thanks for the info, I now remember, aided by Peter Darley's book, which has a photo of Graham in the Mk 11 Lotus with a front wing rubbing against a tyre. NGH must have been following Frank closely!!!!

I attended this race, proving my memory is not what it used to be :smoking:

#126 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 22:09

Originally posted by bradbury west
Roger Lund

Which I clearly did not "IIRC" as Ljungfeldt's car was ZE 1047 - Motor Sport picture. Eight Falcons started and all finished, four starting from Oslo and the others from Paris. Paris drivers were Harper, Jopp, Hill and Anne Hall. Ljungfeldt started from Oslo along with Schlesser and Greder, plus the other one whose name is not cited. ISTR that M Sport tested a rally Falcon, although cannot locate it quickly, and Paddy McNally did a full track test of one for Autosport.

I recall the noise, vibration and speed just as Graham Gauld describes it all. After the Monte Peter Procter used a Falcon as a runabout up in Yorkshire. A couple of times on the way home from school, on the edges of the moors, my pal and I passed it parked outside a house near school - it transpires it was his brother's house.(PP later told me his brother was a builder and he ran a contracting firm) With all the front of a 16 yr old anorak I asked him about it when he was getting into it one day, and we ended up being taken for a quick blast over the moor road for about 5 miles then came back. Fantastic, but the noise was amazing, as was the tractability.
Roger Lund.

#127 Carles Bosch

Carles Bosch

• 145 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 22:25

Originally posted by RS2000
I'm sure it's a car used on the 64 Monte (may well be NGH's Monte car) but photos are not the RAC Rally or the Monte Carlo Rally as no plates fitted and I don't think any Falcons started the Monte at Glasgow, so would not have been at any Prescott passage control in the unlikely event the 64 Monte route to Dover went that way.

I don't seem to have a full list of the Monte Falcon entries:

Bo Lungfeldt (who would have won on scratch)
Jo Schlesser
Henri Greder
Graham Hill (ZE-1050?)
?

Bo Lungfeldt (FR-2274?)
Ann Hall?
Peter Jopp?
?
?

This is the list of Falcon entries in the '63 & '64 Montes, according to my database:

'63,
- Peter Jopp & Trant Jarman, #221, 34th o/a and 1st in class (Group 1, over 2500cc)
- Bo Ljungfeldt & Gunnar Häggbom, #223, FD-3905, 42nd o/a
- Anne Hall & Margaret Mackenzie, #222?, DNF

'64,
- Bo Ljungfeldt & Fergus Sager, #49, ZE-1047, 2nd o/a and 1st in class (Group 1, class 8)
- Jo Schlesser & Claude Le Guèzec, #125, 11th o/a
- Henri Gréder & Martial Delalande, #107, 19th o/a
- Anne Hall & Denise McCluggage, #204, ZE-1053, 39th o/a and 1st in class (Group 3, Class 5)
- Peter Jopp & Alain Bertaud, #200, ZE-1052, 50th o/a
- Graham N. Hill & Ian Walker, #201, ZE-1050?, 107th o/a
- Peter Harper & John Sprinzel, #141, 115th o/a
- Bjarne Lungfeldt & Bertil Rehnfeldt, #45, 137th o/a

Carles.

#128 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 13:22

Many thanks to Carles for the I/Ds.
FR-2274 was Lungfeldt's 63 RAC car.
What do we know about 4 valve per cyl heads on Falcons? Were they homologated in all Groups under the old Appendix J or just Gp3? Perhaps antonvrs could help with the papers? Were they no longer homologated in Gp2 under the new (1.1.66.) Apendix J and could only be used in Gp5 (BSCC 66-68) from then on?

#129 tombe

tombe

• 118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 15:38

This is the list of Falcon entries in the '63 & '64 Montes, according to my database:

'64,
- Bjarne Lundberg & Bertil Rehnfeldt, #45, 137th o/a

Carles.

#130 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 16:01

Four valve heads in Falcons? I'm not aware that any 4-valve heads were ever available for the 260/289/302 Windsor "small block" Ford.
The '63 Falcon rally cars ran a high performance version of the 260- very similar to the 260 used in the first 72 Cobras built.
The '64 cars were homologated with a 289c.i. version which was still not available in actual US Falcon production cars. These motors ran 12.0/1 compression, 2 four barrel carbs and tuned headers with long primary pipes for better low end torque, exiting through the inner fender panels. These were cast iron blocks and cylinder heads and produced in excess of 300 hp at 7000 rpm plus
The homologated weight was 980 Kg. or 2156 lb. with oil and water but without fuel. This is approximately 1,000 (one thousand) pounds lighter than a standard Falcon Sprint!
In the late '60s there were several Falcons racing in British touring car events which were heavily modified, using Gurney-Weslake cyl. heads(still 2-valve), GT40 brakes and wheels etc. I never did understand what rules allowed these mods but I'm sure Ford never built 'em that way!
Anton

#131 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 618 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 16:04

Many thanks to Carles for the I/Ds.
FR-2274 was Lungfeldt's 63 RAC car.
What do we know about 4 valve per cyl heads on Falcons? Were they homologated in all Groups under the old Appendix J or just Gp3? Perhaps antonvrs could help with the papers? Were they no longer homologated in Gp2 under the new (1.1.66.) Apendix J and could only be used in Gp5 (BSCC 66-68) from then on?

I have never come across 4 valve heads on any homologated Falcon,never even heard of such a suggestion-when the cars went Group 5 for the British Touring car Championship in 1966 there was no need to comply with a homologated specification-but even the surviving Group 5 car that I know has a two valve engine.
There are two homologation papers 1250. They are essentially the same it seems one set -dated Nov 1 1963 refers to the 1063-4 car and the second to the 1964 car.With the exception of very different exhaust manifolds they are much of a muchness. I assume the 4 valve reference relates to the non comp[etition engine referred to on page 8 of the early set.I am certain the interpretation is not for a four valve head.

#132 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 18:47

'64,
- Bo Ljungfeldt & Fergus Sager, #49, ZE-1047, 2nd o/a and 1st in class (Group 1, class 8)
- Jo Schlesser & Claude Le Guèzec, #125, 11th o/a
- Henri Gréder & Martial Delalande, #107, 19th o/a
- Anne Hall & Denise McCluggage, #204, ZE-1053, 39th o/a and 1st in class (Group 3, Class 5)
- Peter Jopp & Alain Bertaud, #200, ZE-1052, 50th o/a
- Graham N. Hill & Ian Walker, #201, ZE-1050?, 107th o/a
- Peter Harper & John Sprinzel, #141, 115th o/a
- Bjarne Lungfeldt & Bertil Rehnfeldt, #45, 137th o/a

Carles.

Posted Image #45 Bjarne Lundberg

Posted Image Posted Image #49 Bo Ljungfeldt

Posted Image #200 Peter Jopp

Posted Image #201 ??????? (doesn't look like NGH)

Posted Image #204 Anne Hall

(All photos FoMoCo Archive)

Rob

#133 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:02

I asked because 4valve was a new one on me:
http://www.classicdr...11116&section=4
(thanks due to bradbury west for the link)

Gp5 at the BSCC time, as far as I recall, was as Gp2 (light panels etc as options) but freer engine/inlet mods (and there is some suggestion that it was interpreted within the BSCC a bit freer than FIA Gp5 with regard to replacement heads...). "Anything goes" was Gp6 then, even for a saloon (although Gp5 became that in later years?). I didn't think I'd missed heads being 4 valve, so it's a relief to know they weren't!.

I would have thought the engine alone reached that homologated weight, leave alone the car! (as a comparison, that's not so far above a fully rally-equipped Escort RS2000's weight!)

#134 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:13

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

#201 ??????? (doesn't look like NGH)
Rob

No it doesn't. Number looks more like 361?

#135 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:06

I have copies of a series of pictures provided to a friend in 1992 by Lee Hollman of Hollman & Moody. Unfortunately they are photocopies of photocopies, so the quality is lacking. There is, however, a head-on shot of #201 with the registration number ZE-1045 clearly visible. The car is standing still with a crowd around it and the driver's profile does look like Hill. There is also damage to the left front corner, which is consistent with reports of Hill's run-in with a wall. The front end arrangement is identical to Ljungfeldt's ZE-1047: six auxilary lights, the Monte panel in the center of the bumper, and the trimmed-down Michigan plate (numbers only) to right of center on the front of the hood (okay, bonnet). A side shot of 201 in motion on the Monte Carlo circuit shows the same front end damage.

The set includes several pictures of ZE-1050 with a Monte plate, although the number on the Monte plate is not legible. As in the picture of this car posted by Rob Ryder, there does not appear to be a number on the side of the car, and it has only four auxiliary lights. One shot is very clear, no side number. Wouldn't the side numbers be required on a car actually running the Monte.

Finally, in all shots of the Falcons on the Monte the side numbers are on a large, light colored panel that obscures part of the dark side flash on the door. The pics that Twini posted of Hill in ZE-1050, the 201 on the door is not a Monte-style number. Best guess, ZE-1050 was a practice, press demo car.

Also in the set is a head-on shot of ZE-1056 after being stuffed dead center into something very solid and round, like a telegraph pole. The hood is open, no Monte plate is visible, and someone, possibly Hill, is peering into the engine compartment. In spite of the damage, the car is probably driveable. Did any of them take that type of hit during the Monte?

Further shots include one of ZE-1055 with no Monte plate or side numbers and two very staged shots of two women (Hall/Mcluggage?) leaning on the hood of ZE-1054. publicity photos?

Also in the collection are about 40 period articles, road tests, etc. on the Falcon rally cars, two sets of homologation papers, and a letter or two from Lee Hollman about the Falcons. When I get a chance I'll wade through and see if there's anything pertinent.

And I almost forgot, in the garage are six Minis and a Falcon Sprint, the reason for collecting all the paper.

#136 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:36

I asked because 4valve was a new one on me:
http://www.classicdr...11116&section=4
(thanks due to bradbury west for the link)

Gp5 at the BSCC time, as far as I recall, was as Gp2 (light panels etc as options) but freer engine/inlet mods (and there is some suggestion that it was interpreted within the BSCC a bit freer than FIA Gp5 with regard to replacement heads...). "Anything goes" was Gp6 then, even for a saloon (although Gp5 became that in later years?). I didn't think I'd missed heads being 4 valve, so it's a relief to know they weren't!.

I would have thought the engine alone reached that homologated weight, leave alone the car! (as a comparison, that's not so far above a fully rally-equipped Escort RS2000's weight!)

Can I offer this as an explanation of the query about the homologation of 4 Valve heads.

Ford produced the Windsor engine with a range of different HP ratings. These variations came about through the availability of different intake manifolds and cylinder heads.

They produced 2 barrel and 4 barrel carburettor equiped engines for the showroom cars. There were also different heads for the 2 barrel and 4 barrel carburetter equipped engines. These equipment variations , were usually referred to in an abbreviated fashion with "2V "and "4V" nomenclature. Thus 2Vand 4V heads. The "V" meaning "venturi" not valves.

I suggest that these abbreviations have been misconstrued somewhere along the way to mean 4 valve hence the confusion.

#137 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:41

Fredeuce, I had forgotten about that nomenclature but I'll bet you're right.
Anton

#138 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:10

Randy McConnell :

It is not surprising that there is a lot of confusion because Ford Motor Company brought 20 Falcon Futura's to Monaco of which twelve were "recce" cars that suffered damage of some sort. The car I drove, for example, had obviously been dinged either on recce or by the Ford film crew who had been loaned the car to cover the event. The other recce cars were used by ice note drivers running ahead of the field, mechanics etc. As you can see from the attached photo the car Henry Manney and I were given had the registration ZE1051.

Posted Image

#139 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:44

Originally posted by antonvrs
Fredeuce, I had forgotten about that nomenclature but I'll bet you're right.
Anton

Without a doubt...

Now, can we get back to Galaxies? Can't the Falcon Sprints have a thread of their own?

Advertisement

#140 David Kipling

David Kipling

• 65 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:54

:up:

Galaxie in a sandwich: Mike Salmon's Mustang, (Oliver?/Sears?) Galaxie, and Jimmy Clark's Lotus Cortina, all drifting fast through a bend. Snetterton, 1966.

http://www.oldstox.c...ark snet 66.jpg

At my end, that is a big 2MB file (that exhausts the total of my computer vocabulary byt the way!)

#141 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:18

I have to confess that I don't share the commonly shared love for the sound of the American V8 engine in motor racing - much preferring the shrill wail of the V12 or flat-12 - but I will also admit I was enthralled by Gentleman Jack's demolition of Jaguar's fiefdom in British touring car racing through 1963. He pushed this great uncultured agricultural lump of Detroit junk very hard to do it...

Posted Image

Photo Copyright: The GP Library

#142 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 694 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:31

Getting back to the weight of Galaxie race cars - the best I could find was 3425 lbs, but they were drag racing cars only. Although would there be any reason that these couldn't be used as the basis for a circuit racing car?

The "Sports Hardtops" were a hit in the showroom, and in stock-car racing they carried Ford to the '63 NASCAR title. Things were tougher on the drag strips, where Galaxies outweighed the competition by 300 pounds. Ford did field 50 race-only lightweights with fiberglass front clips, bare-metal interiors, and no sound deadening. A 3425-pound 'Glass Galaxie could turn low-12s at 118 mph in Super Stock, but even that wasn't good enough to win a single NHRA championship.

#143 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:37

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Kipling
[B]:up:

Galaxie in a sandwich: Mike Salmon's Mustang, (Oliver?/Sears?) Galaxie, and Jimmy Clark's Lotus Cortina, all drifting fast through a bend. Snetterton, 1966.

The Galaxie is driven by Brian "Yogi" Muir.

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus.

#144 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:39

Here are some photos currently being offered on EBay, including many shots of Galaxies, Cortinas and such from the sixties. There is also a photo of Gurney in an Alan Brown Galaxie at Silverstone 1964 and it looks like the car was not white...I thought all of the Alan Brown cars were white. Any idea about this change?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbenqv

By the way, I have no association with the seller at all...just sharing a source.

#145 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:55

[QUOTE]Originally posted by teegeefla
[B]Here are some photos currently being offered on EBay, including many shots of Galaxies, Cortinas and such from the sixties. There is also a photo of Gurney in an Alan Brown Galaxie at Silverstone 1964 and it looks like the car was not white...I thought all of the Alan Brown cars were white. Any idea about this change?

Seem to remember that Alan Brown's cars' also ran in a mid colour blue.

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus

#146 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 13:07

Originally posted by Peter Darley
The Galaxie is driven by Brian "Yogi" Muir.....

Sure is... you can see his face!

Posted Image

Great picture, David. And Doug, I know what you mean about the V8 sound. The only thing they have in their favour is that a really sharp one sounds like big power.

#147 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 18:12

The ebay link is excellent, with some good shots also of Gurney in the Impala and JC in the Cortina etc etc. Scroll through them all.

I know the time scales were not contemporaneous, but the thought of a lightweight Falcon with a 289 with Globe 4 cam heads- if they worked as they should have done- would have been something else, although I suppose modern developments make the 289s pretty powerful anyway

sorry Ray, off thread.
Roger lund.

#148 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 13:32

Motor Sport March 1964 has a comprehensive test of a Monte Falcon, ZE 1050.
Roger Lund.

#149 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 15:35

Good article on Alan Mann Racing in this months Classic Ford, sadly though, not much on the Falcons, though it does briefly touch on his running of the '64 Monte cars briefly. Some great photos, especially of CTC 24E :up:

That is a great looking car.

#150 Falconsprint

Falconsprint

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:10

Hi there, just thought you guy's might be interested in my car.
Chassis No 4H13F125407 original Reg ZE1054, UK reg DPB5B
Quick bit of info, I got the car in December 1979 when I was 18 years old from the garage where I trained as a mechanic.
At the time I was led to believe it was Ljungfeldt's Monte car but now know it was not. However Lee Holman informed me that it was used as a recce on the Monte in 64.
It now turns out that Ljungfeldt did event my car in the Swedish Midnight Sun rally 1964 if the books are to be believed that is.
The chap I brought the Falcon from had actually payed £1500 to Alan Mann in 67 (fair amount of money back then) and used to tow a caravan across Europe with it, and his wife used it to go shopping!!
The motor is original 5 bolt 289 HiPo
Duel 4 barrel Carters on Carter inlet
Close ratio toploader 4 speed (I read somwhere that the original T10's would break) I know nothing of any 5 speed box's being fitted??
Galaxy 9in rear axle with 12 drums.
Disc brakes on the front end using aluminum 3 pot calipers
Glass fiber front wings, bonnet, boot lid, steel doors were refitted for road use, in fact it has the wrong drivers door as it has the Ann Hall ID plate on it.
Martyn.
PS: I will post some pics if you like but as yet cannot figure out how to do it.