Joe Playan

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:58

joe-and-lesson.jpg

Joe Playan and his Army buddy Chic Leson.
Joe or Marion Playan is on the left in this picture. Joe raced some very nice cars in his racing days. He also attempted to bring professional racing to California. I am going to attempt to tell his racing story to the forum members.
photo Joe Playan collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 11 March 2020 - 03:47.

Advertisement

#2 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:10

joe%20and%20special_zpspui779ge.jpg

Joe Playan next to his MG Special

Hagemann MG Special at Santa Barbara in 1954.

This is an MG Special built in Northern California for Joe Playan's friend Chic Leson. Chic asked Joe if he would like to buy it and Joe did winning at Santa Barbara in this car. Joe was very proud of this car and it is currently being restored by the Riverside Museum. It was built by the late Jack Hagemann who passed away at the age of 94 in 2010.

photo: Al Long

Edited by Jerry Entin, 14 February 2015 - 15:33.

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:27

joe-0_zpsfqdhinrt.jpg

Joe Playan with OSCA-Chevy.
Joe attempted to make this a competitive race car. He had Max Balchowsky and Phil Remington give him advice on how to make it work right. Joe called this car an Oscelet. Kind of a take on the Ocelot and the Chevrolet. This was in 1959. Joe had made the brakes work fine. It was the handling that he couldn't get right. It would bounce and be uncontrollable under heavy braking for a turn.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 14 February 2015 - 15:21.

#4 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:33

You're spoiling us, Jerry!

Another cracking thread about a great era in racing, with fantastic cars, set against the backdrop of Californian weather - what more could you want?

Many thanks to Jerry, Willem, Joe and associates - we're not worthy. I suspect that, if you had a dollar for every time someone told you to publish a book, you'd do pretty well.

Justin

#5 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:40

JerryEntinNehamkin6_zpstuulwsna.jpg

Joe Playan at Riverside on September 22, 1957

Joe had the lead in this race that was to be won by a young Ricardo Rodriguez. The Porsche Spyder came with Continental tires. Joe had taken them off and was trying Pirelli tires.

They went away on Joe and he slid off course. That is Bob Drake in a Cooper behind Joe Playan. And Jack McAfee in the Porsche. Bob would finish second and Joe would finish 3rd in this race won by Ricardo Rodriguez.

photo Lester Nehamkin - Joe Playan collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 21:34.

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:54

ricardo%2015_zpsnygpzbjt.jpg
Ricardo Rodriguez before going out and winning the 1957 Riverside race.
On a visit to Joe Playan's house in Palm Springs, California I was asked by Joe if I would like to see the pictures of Lester Nehamkin. Joe Playan told me that Lester had come into his brake shop called Washington Brake, this was located in a place called MarVista. That is kind of the entrance to what is now called the Marina Del Rey area of Los Angeles. He told Joe Playan he wasn't going to take any more race pictures. He was now going to do Golf pictures. He went on to take many of the pictures of Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. Joe Playan was given these boxes of pictures that Lester had taken in the 50's of race events. No one had seen them, until I was shown them. The above picture is one of them. I told Joe that people would love to see these. I asked could I put them on the internet for people to enjoy. Joe said sure. This is how I got started with Tam's Old Race car site. And this forum.
photo Lester Nehamkin-Joe Playan collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 12:07.

#7 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 13:16

Jo%20and%20Me%20001%20600%20x%20436_zpsn

Joe Playan and his friend Jerry Entin
This is in front of Joe Playan's house in Palm Springs. This is how Joe Looks now. Before I told his racing story I wanted to show the forum members this picture.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 14 February 2015 - 15:08.

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 13:27

Jerry is that when Ricardo first came ti SoCal, say age 15 or 16?

#9 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 13:27

chicandshel_zpsyaq2x0sv.jpg

Chic Leson can be seen in the back in the hat and jacket.

Carroll Shelby and Pete DePaolo are in front. This is from Monterey in the late 50's. Pete DePaolo won the Indy 500 in 1925. He was the first driver to average over 100 mph for the 500 mile race. His average time was 101.13. His car was a Duesenberg and the entrant was the Duesenbenberg factory.

joesjag_zpsgsnsjzum.jpg

Joe's first race car a Jaguar Fixed head coupe.
Joe Playan was in the service with Chic Leson. Chic got Joe Playan interested in sportscar racing. Joe had been invited by Chic to come watch him race. Joe was very impressed and had seen Phil Hill racing a Jaguar XK120. Joe said he had to have one of those. This was in 1952. Joe was 30 years old. Joe Playan was born April 16, 1922.
His first race car was a Drop head Coupe Jaguar. It was a Bronze colored car. Joe knew nothing about racing. He entered a race at Pebble Beach, he drove the car to it. He had his good friend Lou Falcon come with him. If they would have wrecked the car they would have had no way back home. Joe lightly touched a hay bale in the race. They made it home fine and Joe was bitten with the racing bug.
After this Joe Playan was offered the MG Special of Chic Leson and Joe went to Oakland,California with a trailer and picked it up and brought it back to Mar Vista.

Dave Kane: Ricardo was 15 in that picture. When I showed that picture too fellow forum member Brian Redman he said " He was only a kid". I told him "Well that kid beat all the racers of the day at Riverside."

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 May 2017 - 02:08.

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 14:30

JoebehindJohn600x431_zpshrzw3esm.jpg
Joe Playan in his 1963 Corvette Stingray behind John Morton in the Lotus Seven.

This race was held at the parking lot of the Dodgers baseball team. It was called Dodgers Stadium.
Joe used this car in the Disney movie called The Love Bug. During the filming of The Love Bug, Joe accidentlly went off a cliff. The other stunt men threw down ropes to get to the car. Joe climbed out so fast on his own they thought he was a Billy goat. He was very stiff. And he was in shock. One of the stunt men named Tom Bamford looked at Joe and said "Boy you look white as a Ghost." Joe said "You try driving over a 200 foot cliff and see what you look like". It was a tradition in those days. If you did a stunt and walked away from it after an unforeseen accident, you had to buy the other guys the drinks that night. These guys weren't against drinking. Well Joe bought so many rounds that night he didn't remember how he got back to his room.
The other guys had to climb down the side of the hill with ropes to get Joe's car out because they had to finish the scene. It wasn't suppose to go over the cliff.
Joe also drove this car to Phoenix when he first got it to participate in a race and then drove it home to the Mar Vista area. Joe Finished 3rd in this race with a street stock car.
photo John Morton collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 23:29.

#11 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 15:07

Joe150s_zpscn5tptlj.jpg

Joe Playan driving his friend Chic Leson's Maserati 150S.

Joe felt this car was way under powered. It had a 1.5 Liter engine and had to race Porsche Spyders, which were way lighter and way faster.
Joe Playan attempted to orgainze professional racing in Southern California. They were calling their group the Triple R or the RRR. This was in 1955. This stood for Road Racing Register. The group worked out of a restaurant called The Blarney Castle. It was owned by a fellow named Rudy Cleye. Rudy Cleye raced a Mercedes 300SL. They figured that the drivers should have a chance to run for winnings at these events. Rudy Cleye was very instrumental in seeing the creation of Riverside Raceway. The group that was putting on the local events was called the CalClub. They were very much against allowing professional racing to be sanctioned in their area. Joe was not allowed to race in any Cal Club races for a year after attempting to make these professional races. Joe was also injured in a test crash at Willow Springs while getting ready for the first Pro race. He crashed his Porsche Spyder and recieved a concusion.
photo Joe Playan collection
research Frank S

Edited by Jerry Entin, 04 May 2017 - 09:14.

#12 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 18:17

RRR at Willow Springs - program

#13 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:26

Posted Image

Joe Playan's Porsche 550 Spyder after wrecking at Willow Springs.

Joe Playan had been running his Hagemann MG Special. At a race Richie Ginther was in a Porsche 550 Spyder. He went by Joe like he was tied down. Joe said I have to have one of those Porsche's. He traded his Hagemann MG Special and a few thousand dollars for the 550 Spyder. Joe bought this car from Bill Thomas. Joe didn't know it but this car had been used in the Mexican road races and the suspension was badly damaged. Joe took the car to Willow Springs to get accustomed to it's handling. He went with his friend Lou Falcon. Joe went out and practiced. The car just wouldn't handle. He came in and told Lou Falcon that the car was terrible. Lou said just put your foot in it and it will be all right. Joe put his foot into it and coming out of turn 9 at Willow Springs the car went off course wrecking. Joe woke up in the local hospital and didn't remember anything of the accident.

#14 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:24

Posted Image
Lance Reventlow in front of Joe Playan in his Porsche.

This was a newspaper clipping. Lance Reventlow raced this Cooper before he made his rear engined Scarab. Joe Playan was good friends with Lance and worked on the cars of Lance and most of his friends. Joe had a Brake shop called Washington Brake in Mar Vista, California.

newspaper clipping : Joe Playan collection

Posted Image
Lance Reventlow and his new rear engined Scarab.
This was at Santa Barbara the first time Lance ran new car.
Don Wester in his Porsche followed by Joe Playan in his Porsche.

photo lent site Willem Oosthoek collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 April 2010 - 16:59.

#15 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:45

JerryEntinJoePlayan1_zpsvvptqqs0.jpg

Joe Playan and Jack McAfee and Bob Drake.
This is from Pomona in 1957.
photo Lester Nehamkin- Joe Playan collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 22:35.

#16 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:45

Very nice thread, Jerry.
I remember Joe Playan's shop, Washington Brake. It's about a quarter mile from where I live today. I also remember when I was a Tech inspector for Cal Club in the '60s he had a Corvette Sting Ray Roadster with twin pipes that ran under the diff and ended in megaphones. Very unusual, looked cool and sounded great. He wasn't real competitive IIRC, probably because he still drove it on the street and it wasn't as heavily "prepared" as the rest of the guys in A production. The Cobras had arrived by then, and he wasn't getting any younger.
Anton

#17 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:29

Joe%20Santa%20Corvette_zpsgkgxmmul.jpg

Joe Playan in the #29 Corvette leading at Santa Barbara in 1963.
Bill Krause is in the #3 Corvette Coupe and Scott Bailey is in the #41 Corvette. Race won by Joe Playan.

Anton: You are right Joe Playan was 40 years old when he got the Corvette. He did win the Corvette class at Santa Barbara in 1963. He was in the lead and Bill Krause missed a turn and got in front of Joe. After the race the officials said that the pass Bill Krause made was illegal and the win went to Joe Playan.

Joe Playan raced this car for the first time at Dodgers Stadium. His friend Lew Spencer then suggested he bring the car to Phoenix for the races there. He drove it on the street from Mar Vista, California to Phoenix, Arizona. This was about a 7 hour drive in a normal street car. I don't know how long it took Joe to get there. After Joe Playan raced it in Phoenix, he got in and drove it back home. It was a 327 cubic inch engine and with Fuel Injection put out about 360 hp. It had a 4 speed gear box.
above photo Allen Kuhn. www.vintage-sportscar-photos.com
copyright Allen Kuhn 2008.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 04 May 2017 - 09:03.

#18 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 19:42

Great stuff Jerry, the pictures are great and when you describe them they really come to life.
Cheers, Paul :up:

#19 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 00:00

Posted Image

Joe Playan talking to his friend Bill Pollack.
In the background is Dave Scully. This is in Burbank at the Coral Cafe. It is called Bubaahs Breakfast Club. Whenever I am in California I try and drive Joe in for this meeting. The full name is Burbank Underground Breakfast And Automotive Historian Society.
They meet the first Saturday of each month and the host is Dave Scully.
photo Dick Russell.

Advertisement

#20 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:13

joeandPat600_zpsfapi3gvr.jpg

Joe Playan and his daughter Patricia.
Happy Birthday Joe! - Joe Playan is 86 years young today.

This picture was taken at a commercial property that Joe owns in Palm Springs. His good friend Zoltan Kovacs runs a Steel Fabricating and welding business at this location. There is also an Auto body repair business at the other end of the property.

photo Jerry Entin

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 May 2017 - 02:06.

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:05

Posted Image
Joe Playan's Hagemann Special Joe Playan is on left in the Jacket.
Lou Falcon Joe's right hand man working on the car. At the back is Joe Playan's friend Carl Pioch's son John.

Posted Image
Bob Mauser in Joe Playan's Hagemann Special.
Bob Mauser was recommended to Joe Playan's Washington Brake shop by one of his fellow TWA co-workers. When Bob Mauser saw Joe's Hagemann Special he asked him could he use a hand working on it and could he go to the races with Joe. Joe had no idea that Bob Mauser was a master painter and fabricator. Joe said. "sure" and that is how their relationship started, Dick Russell would also come with Bob Mauser and that is how Dick meet Joe and Lou Falcon and Joe's, good friend Carl Pioch.

photos Dick Russell
scanned for site Richard Holub

#22 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:34

Belated happy birthday, Joe. I'm enjoying your story.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA
USA

#23 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 23:35

Great photos! Happy Birthday Joe!

#24 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:33

:wave: Words can say a lot , but pictures too . Years ago I would have said , "why all the ""today"" pictures ", but Jerry ,keep on , its just great to see them "alive" too ! :smoking:

#25 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:22

Posted Image
Joe Playan wth his hands on his knees ready to run to his MG Special.
This is from Torrey Pines in about 1956 and it was an endurance type race.

Bjorn: Not many of us get to see our 86th year. Joe is going to tell the forum members some stories of his racing that will show what it was like in the day to be a part of the Southern Califonia Racing scene. Joe had many friends in racing. Just a few were Sam Weiss, Max Balchowsky and Vasek Polack and Johnnie von Neumann and Art Evans and he goes to lunch with Chic Vandagriff of Hollywood Sportscar fame, quite often. Joe is a member of the Fabulous Fifties Association and is a friend too many. Joe also was a Hollywood stuntman. He did driving scenes in movies.
above photo Dick Russell.

#26 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:30

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Bjorn: Not many of us get to see our 86th year. Joe is going to tell the forum members some stories of his racing that will show what it was like in the day to be a part of the Southern Califonia Racing scene. Joe had many friends in racing. Just a few were Sam Weiss, Max Balchowsky and Vasek Polack and Johnnie von Neumann and Art Evans and he goes to lunch with Chic Vandagriff of Hollywood Sportscar fame, quite often. Joe is a member of the Nifty Fifties Club and is a friend to many. Joe also was a Hollywood stuntman. He did driving scenes in movies.

Too true Jerry...we await Joe's SOCAL stories with bated breath :up:

#27 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:01

JerryEntinNehamkin4_zpsh9h9pbkj.jpg

Joe Playan in his Porsche Spyder with Frank Monise in his Lotus.

This photo is from the airport races at Palm Springs.

photo Lester Nehamkin - Joe Playan collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 22:16.

#28 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:48

Posted Image
Joe Playan and his good friend Carl Pioch at Santa Barbara
photo Pete VanLaw.

#29 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:53

Posted Image
Carl Pioch and his wife Mary, Mary Strasser and Joe Playan and a young Vasek Polak.

Joe was very good friends with Vasek and Mary Strasser has been a life long friend of Joe's. As is Carl Pioch.

photo: Joe Playan collection
scanned for site: Zoltan Kovacs.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 September 2011 - 07:50.

#30 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:36

MaxandJoe_zpssdmyw0h6.jpg

Max Balchowsky and his good friend Joe Playan.
Max called his cars Ol Yaller's. Max Balchowsky introduced me to Joe Playan in 1963. I have been friends with him ever since.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 15 May 2017 - 13:03.

#31 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:51

Posted Image
Joe Playan and his trusty band of Outlaws
Carl Pioch with hat on the left and Lou Falcon and Joe Playan driving and on the right hand side of the car Rolf Wutherich and Bob Mauser and on the right to the rear in the leather jacket is Bob Falcon who is the son of Lou Falcon.
photo Joe Playan collection- photo by Dick Russell.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 September 2011 - 07:53.

#32 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:04

Posted Image
Joe Playan and his crew chief Lou Falcon

#33 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:09

Posted Image
Joe Playan in his #29 Porsche at Santa Barbara in the day.

#34 charliehayes

charliehayes

• 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 21:50

This picture breaks my heart
So damn YOUNG
Got to know brother Pedro, he was also a real great driver and an awesome guy.
These were Tough Days for racing drivers. Thanks in large measure to Jackie Stewart our "family" lives a lot longer now (Look at Kubica's crash and only a sprained ankle!)
Thanks Jerry ... as always

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Posted Image
Ricardo Rodriguez before going out and winning the 1957 Riverside race.
On a visit to Joe Playan's house in Palm Springs, California I was asked by Joe if I would like to see the pictures of Lester Nehamkin. Joe Playan told me that Lester had come into his brake shop called Washington Brake, this was located in a place called MarVista. That is kind of the entrance to what is now called the Marina Del Rey area of Los Angeles. He told Joe Playan he wasn't going to take any more race pictures. He was now going to do Golf pictures. He went on to take many of the pictures of Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. Joe Playan was given these boxes of pictures that Lester had taken in the 50's of race events. No one had seen them, until I was shown them. The above picture is one of them. I told Joe that people would love to see these. I asked could I put them on the internet for people to enjoy. Joe said sure. This is how I got started with Tam's Old Race car site. And this forum.

#35 Carlos Jalife

Carlos Jalife

• 322 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:53

Excellent work Jerry, and there should be a book about all these guys and your recollections.
Wew need to keep those memories alive.
By the Way, Charlie Hayes could you contact me, I'd like to interview you about the Rodríguez brothers, it is always nice to hear recolelctions about them.
Cheers
Carlos Jalife

#36 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 14:44

RicardoandJoe-1_zpscktlce61.jpg

Ricardo Rodriguez and Jack McAfee and Joe Playan

Joe Playan remembers Ricardo Rodriguez being: "As Fast as they Came."
Joe Playan also raced in his everyday work clothes. He isn't in a proper race suit. He even has an air gauge still in his pocket. Joe owned a Brake Shop called Washington Brake and this is how he dressed at work. No fire proof outfit or racing shoes or gloves.
Joe Playan says of Jack McAfee that you couldn't find a better friend or fellow racer to compete against. As they say Jack was the "Salt of the Earth."

photo lent site Scuderia Rodriguez - scanned for site Carlos Jalife.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 20:18.

#37 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 21:17

JoeP1ayan57Corvette_zps4epayx2i.jpg

Daniel Sexton Gurney in Corvette in front of Joe Playan.

Dan Gurney went on to win this 1957 race in Cal Bailey's Corvette.

Joe Playan wanted to upgrade his first Porsche 550 Spyder. He heard there was a newer version avaliable in the San Fransico area. A fellow named Al Norwitt had a new RS Spyder. Joe didn't have the funds to purchase this car. They were $5,800 in the late 50's. So, Joe went to his local Bank. It was called Security First Bank. Joe had a friend there named Gordon Heinmiller. He asked him could he get a loan for advertising for his Brake repair shop business. Gordon said sure and that is how Joe got his new Porsche.

Joe flew up to San Fransico and drove the Porsche back on the highway. This was a race car with no muffler and no license plate or registration. He was stopped several times on the way back down to Southern California by the Highway Patrol. The first thing they would ask him was, "What is that thing?"
Joe would tell them it was a new type Porsche and they would just say it looks like a spaceship and have a good time heading home.

photo Lester Nehamkin - Joe Playan collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 21:18.

#38 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 16:11

JoeandRex_zpst2uwjsoy.jpg

Rex McAfee and Joe Playan.

This is at the recent Legends of Riverside event. Joe Playan was honored as being at the first race held at Riverside Raceway.
Rex McAfee is the son of the late Jack McAfee.

Joe Playan is now 87 years young.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 May 2017 - 23:58.

#39 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 16:14

Posted Image
Joe Playan and his Hagemann Special

This car is currently owned by Doug Magnon of the Riverside International Museum

scanned for site Zoltan Kovacs

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 September 2009 - 16:15.

Advertisement

#40 Bugmann1974

Bugmann1974

• 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:14

Posted Image
Joe Playan in his 1963 Corvette Stingray behind John Morton in the Lotus Seven.

This race was held at the parking lot of the Dodgers baseball team. It was called Dodgers Stadium.
Joe used this car in the Disney movie called The Love Bug. During the filming of The Love Bug, Joe accidentlly went off a cliff. The other stunt men threw down ropes to get to the car. Joe climbed out so fast on his own they thought he was a Billy goat. He was very stiff. And he was in shock. One of the stunt men named Tom Bamford looked at Joe and said "Boy you look white as a Ghost." Joe said "You try driving over a 200 foot cliff and see what you look like". It was a tradition in those days. If you did a stunt and walked away from it after an unforeseen accident, you had to buy the other guys the drinks that night. These guys weren't against drinking. Well Joe bought so many rounds that night he didn't remember how he got back to his room.
The other guys had to climb down the side of the hill with ropes to get Joe's car out because they had to finish the scene. It wasn't suppose to go over the cliff.
Joe also drove this car to Phoenix when he first got it to participate in a race and then drove it home to the Mar Vista area. Joe Finished 3rd in this race with a street stock car.
photo John Morton collection.

Hi, I am new here and I am sorry about the intrusion. I belong to a group of fans of Herbie The Love Bug. We are currently discussing your thread on our message board and always love to find out new information about the movie.

First off thanks for the little tid bit above, Its a great story and one we had not heard about the movie.

Second, where is a good place to get more info about the drivers and cars involved in the race scenes in the movie? (I assume that this would be a good place to start?)

Third, It seems that you have easy contact with Joe Playan, is there any way that we could get some more storys about the movie?

Thanks for the forum,
-Ray-

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:13

Posted Image
Joe Playan's Washington Brake and Alignment shop in the day.

In order to race the cars he did, Joe needed a form of income. He chose the brake business.

After the war was over Joe noticed a For Sale sign on a Furniture store with an empty lot. The price was $2,500 dollars. The fellow who owned it was named Al Carpenter.

Joe asked him if he could buy it. Al Carpenter said " Sergeant if you give me $250 down you can make payments and the property will be yours."

Edited by Jerry Entin, 04 April 2010 - 00:45.

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:27

Posted Image
Washington Brake Building in wood
The first thing Joe did was go to Sears and Roebucks and purchase a prefab garage. It cost $400. It was made of wood and you had to have a roofer put a roof on it. Joe put this garage together and had concrete poured for the driveway.

Posted Image
Washington Brake building after plaster was applied
A fellow came by and told Joe he was a plasterer. He said if Joe would do the brakes on his truck. He would trade it out for a plaster job on the building. This is how the Washington Brake building was made.

photos: Joe Playan collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 31 March 2010 - 01:46.

#43 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:55

Posted Image
Washington Brake when first opened for Business.

Joe's brake shop was located in the Mar Vista area. In those days it was in the middle of nowhere.
This was around 1947.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 April 2010 - 04:51.

#44 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 22:05

-IreneinMG586x600_zpslgnbosts.jpg

Irene Cutler in her MG
Joe Playan loved dancing and Irene was his favorite dance Partner

Edited by Jerry Entin, 14 May 2017 - 00:58.

#45 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:29

Jerry - Great story on the land purchase and the construction photos of Mr. Playan's business. I really enjoy your contributions. :up:

#46 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 16:55

Ray. Welcome. You have done us all a favour by bringing this thread forward again. Many thanks
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 01 April 2010 - 20:28.

#47 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 19:51

Posted Image
Washington Brake when first opened for Business.

Joe's brake shop was located in the Mar Vista area. In those days it was in the middle of nowhere.
This was around 1947.

On Washington Blvd? Or Place?

Mapquest 360-degree view toward Mar Vista.

#48 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 21:36

Posted Image
Joe Playan's crew at Washington Brake
Jimmy and Howard Poulnott and Roger Danilson

Frank: It was on Washington Place. That road now leads to the Marina Del Rey area. In the day there was no Marina Del Rey. It was called Lake Los Angeles and it wasn't open to the ocean.

I am sorry I missed you at the Legends.

Brian: I am glad you are enjoying reading about Joe Playan. I was just in Palm Springs with him.
He discovered a box of photos that haven't been seen in 45 years. I am going to show them on this site very soon.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 04 April 2010 - 00:51.

#49 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 21:38

Posted Image
Joe Playan running his Porsche in the day.

Posted Image
Jimmy Poulnott and Joe Playan.
Sometimes the work crew from the shop would help Joe at the races.

These are some of the photos that Joe Playan has just found in his garage.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 February 2012 - 10:26.

#50 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 23:22

Posted Image
Joe Playan's Porsche inside Washington Brake building

Posted Image
Joe Playan putting on his googles getting ready for action

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 April 2010 - 05:39.