Photo

1954 Alfa Romeo 2000 Sportiva Bertone Coupé

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:16

Absolutely stunned at the similarity between this AR prototype and subsequent TVR cars!!

I think we know where TVR got their styling inspiration!!

Magnifico :up: :smoking:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 118 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 21:53

Alfa built two cars and one of them lived (lives still?) in Australia for many years. That one was red. The story was that the Australian guy, whose name now escapes me, owned a particular vintage model Alfa that the Factory wanted for their museum, so they offered him a choice of one car from 3-4 'duplicate' cars from the museum in exchange for the one he had. I recall it being written up in Sports Car World many years ago...god that makes me sound old!

#3 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 22:14

The history of the two cars is detailed in the latest (Dec 08) issue or the Alfa Romeo Owners Club magazine.

The chap with the red car in Australia was Lionel Jones, who owned the last surviving 1921 20/30ES Sport which he swapped with Alfa for the spare Sportiva. The silver and red cars are slightly different in shape, the red being a bit later in date and surrounded with the usual Alfa Romeo mystery of why, how and when.

Steve

#4 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:33

At this year's Mille Miglia, driven by Kott and Baron from Road & Track:

Posted Image

Their story is in the October issue.

Am I right that this car never ran in the original Mille Miglia? Was it ever raced anywhere?

Vince H.

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:05

Originally posted by Andrew Stevens
Alfa built two cars and one of them lived (lives still?) in Australia for many years. That one was red. The story was that the Australian guy, whose name now escapes me, owned a particular vintage model Alfa that the Factory wanted for their museum, so they offered him a choice of one car from 3-4 'duplicate' cars from the museum in exchange for the one he had. I recall it being written up in Sports Car World many years ago...god that makes me sound old!

and I believe the fella later sold the car back into europe for many, many Lira :)

#6 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:22

the fella later sold the car back into europe

Reading again from AROC GB mag Jones sold it to Rudy Pas of Classic Car Associates in Holland sometime after he rolled the car and broke his neck. Then the trail seems to go cold.

Steve

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:10

Originally posted by SWB

Reading again from AROC GB mag Jones sold it to Rudy Pas of Classic Car Associates in Holland sometime after he rolled the car and broke his neck. Then the trail seems to go cold.

Steve

Ohhh deary, deary me!! I had no eye deer the man was injured....all I heard was that the car was sold for over a mill :blush: :

#8 Zagato_Olaf

Zagato_Olaf

• 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 23:29

Hello TNF members,

I have a picture of the red Sportiva. This picture was taken on the 16th of August 2005. The car carries a swiss licenseplate so it seems. The person who took this picture is 'Simon' who lives in Switzerland and published this picture as a moderator on www.FerrariChat.com. More interesting Alfa's where that came from!

Ciao, Olaf

Posted Image

#9 Zagato_Olaf

Zagato_Olaf

• 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 23:32

Hello members,

And here is another picture of the red Sportiva. Unfortunately I do not have the source of this picture.

Ciao, Olaf

Posted Image