Photo

Jerry Entin in 'Autoweek'!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:02

Came home today after a long hard day at work....
Found the latest Autoweek on my chair and began to relax....

What did I find on page 16? The classic picture of the start of the Can-Am race at Riverside, Ca. race in '68.
Who is in the picture, along with- Lothar Motschenbacher, Brett Lunger, Ed Leslie, Stan Burnett and Rodger McCaig, et. al.?

None other than our own Jerry Entin, piloting a Lola T70-Chevrolet (were there any others?).

The accompanying story is basically a revisitation of that day and an examination of the 35 guys who made the grid of that historic race of 40 years ago.

Also included in the story (but already out of the picture) are Dan Gurney, John Surtees, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, Mark Donohue, Peter Revson, and Jim Hall...... Mario qualified but was a DNS...

They profile the drivers as to where they are today....
Qualifing 26th.... Jerry Entin, Lola Chevrolet, retired, running but not classified, ; Very active on line historian; lives in Michigan, where he enjoys watersports (really?) and his grandchildren.

And tormenting all of the rest of us with his witt!

ZOOOM

Advertisement

#2 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:07

....Who's Jerry Entin ??????????????...........................Just 'kidd'in, its Christmas !!

#3 marchof73

marchof73

• 58 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:51

Watersports in Michigan--when--1 week per year??

35 Can Am cars --what a grid!
Bring it back please!
Ian

#4 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,593 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:49

Originally posted by marchof73
Watersports in Michigan--when--1 week per year??

35 Can Am cars --what a grid!
Bring it back please!
Ian

Maybe Jerry just has a whirlpool bath...

Agree about that CanAm grid though, those were great days.

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 15:48

JERRY! JERRY!

#6 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,467 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 16:06

Thanks for the heads-up!

Jack.

#7 IndyFan56

IndyFan56

• 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 16:37

I saw that too, Was that one of Gurney's old T70s ?

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:53

Posted Image
Jerry Entin at Riverside in 1968

The Lola T-70 I ran was an ex Marvin Webster owned car. In that race it ran well until it started over heating. I had to come in for coolant and it just kept pegging the Tempature gauge.

That article was done by Pete Lyons and it was meant to be a kind of where are they now feature.

#9 Dennis Currington

Dennis Currington

• 145 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:00

I posted this info 3 days ago and got no comments "TFN members mentioned in AutoWeek magazine". Figured no one had heard of Jerry :D

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 17:52

Posted Image
Jerry Entin in front of Sam Posey's Lola T-160
This is from Riverside in 1968. The Lola T-70 was painted Nassau Blue. This was a stock 1967 Corvette Color. Had Alan Bartz engine about 530 hp.

photo- Phil Binks

#11 Dennis Currington

Dennis Currington

• 145 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:22

For those of you without access to the magazine:
http://www.autoweek..../FREE/812299978

#12 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,473 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:49

From the "Autoweek" link
Skip Scott, Lola-Chevrolet, DNF; formed Essex Wire team to race Cobras and GT40s; a career salesman who later cofounded an air charter business; deeply involved in flying, sailing, sport fishing and hunting; died 2003.

Any chance to learn more about Skip Scott?
Real name?
Life dates?

#13 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 15:15

Posted Image
Skip Scott and David Hobbs at Sebring, Florida in 1972
photo Louis Galanos

Rewind: I will give you a small teaser: Robert Livingston Scott, born August 24,1941.

Skip Scott had 3 children they are Sara and two sons Gates and Chris. His First wife's name and the mother to the children is Kathe Gates. I am getting ready to do a site on Skip Scott and I know with the help of the Family photos everyone is going to enjoy it. Here is a Tribute to Skip on you tube.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#14 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:42

Wow, thanks for the link, really looking forward to seeing the pictures Jerry. Hope there is one of Skip Scott in the Lang Cooper.
Paul

#15 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 19:18

Posted Image
My Grand daughter Sierra Gipson on a Jet Ski
Sierra will be a teenage next month.

Ian: We do have watersports in Michigan. It is good from April till September.

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 19:34

Posted Image
My Grand son Ukiah Gipson jumping off our neighbors dock.
My son William said he wasn't signing off on this one. At the time he was doing this Ukiah hadn't learn't to swim yet.

Posted Image
Ukiah is in front of me and we are pulling his sister and dad waterskiing.
This is behind a SeaDoo and he is 4 at this time. Sierra Gipson and her dad William Gipson are skiing on single ski's.

A good story about Ukiah is, we were pulling water skiers behind a SeaDoo. A marine Patrol Officer pulls me over, he said did I think Ukiah was old enough to be an observer, he was 4 then. I put Ukiah on a friends water trampoline and he puts his head down and starts crying, he was thinking we were being arrested or something bad.
I said he was a great Observer and knew all the signals, There is no age limit listed for an Observer, it just says must be able to communicate with the driver of the watercraft. I said he will be able to communicate as soon as he stops crying. The guy left me go.

#17 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,473 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:25

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
ReWind: I will give you a small teaser: Robert Livingston Scott, born August 24,1941.

Thank you very much, Jerry & a Happy New Year!

I’m looking forward to the stories about a man whose life
- according to this source -
began and ended at some of the most beautiful places on this planet: Hawaii and New Zealand!

#18 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:18

Originally posted by ReWind
Thank you very much, Jerry & a Happy New Year!

I’m looking forward to the stories about a man whose life
- according to this source -
began and ended at some of the most beautiful places on this planet: Hawaii and New Zealand!

Except that Honolulu a few months later in December 1941 cannot have been so pleasant!
I did not realize he had died so young - I saw him racing at Monza at the 1000 km in 1966. John Wyer was his team manager and I took the same plane going back to England after the race - Wyer embarrassed me so much going through the customs control just in front of me at Milan - he was so rude to the officer I thought he was going to be arrested ! But that was just typical Wyer stuff! And I remember Skip Scott carrying Wyer's bag for him, obviously trying to stay popular with the boss!
Marcus

#19 marchof73

marchof73

• 58 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 15:53

Posted Image
My Grand daughter Sierra Gipson on a Jet Ski
Sierra will be a teenage next month.

Ian: We do have watersports in Michigan. It is good from April till September.

It was a legpull!
I believe the fishing is amazing!
I moved to Houston from Britain to get away from cold winters!
got humidity instead!
Ian

Advertisement

#20 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 16:02

Ian:
I live on a small inland lake. It is called Spring Lake and it connects to Lake Michigan through a river called the Grand River. They do catch large Salmon and other fish on the big lake as we call it. I moved here because my father in law lived in this town.

We bought the house next door to him. He happened to own the only bar in this town. In the summer when we came to Michigan from our home in Palm Springs,California I would go to the bar and help out. I would give all the regulars free refills on their beers. After I would go back to California in the winter, all the regulars would ask my father in law when I was coming back.

I still have breakfast a couple of times a week with a fellow named Derk Doornbos and he was one of these regulars at the bar.

#21 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 16:35

Jerry,
I have a picture of Skip in the GT40 in Thunder Valley at Elkhart. If I can figure out how to copy it I'll put it on here....
By the way. a friend was showing me his new Christmas CD about a race at Riverside many years ago. During the race Bruce MacLaren had a flat and was charging up from last place. The announcers cut back to the race to show how Bruce was doing. Bruce was about to pass some guy in a Chetah. Just as Bruce was passing this guy, he spun.... Right in front of Bruce........
The Cheta was covered entirely in sand when the smoke cleared......
Oh, yeah, the spining driver was ........ you!

ZOOOM

#22 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 16:47

Back in my driving days, I was told that if you hadn't spun, you weren't trying hard enough!

Or, as another old-timer told me, "How do ya know where 10/10ths is until ya go 11/10ths?"

I do know that -- for me at least -- once a Lotus23 started to spin, it was nearly impossible to catch it: not a lotta power and a bunch of rear weight bias.

#23 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 16:53

Zoom: That isn't exactly what happened. The Cheetah had been making a clunking sound. I had taken it to the Factory to get checked out. They told me nothing was wrong.

In the race I moved over just before turn 6 for Jim Clark, not Bruce McLaren. A suspension piece broke and let the right rear wheel go under the car. This caused the car to slide up the embankment. The fans ran over and gave me a beer. They were all great. After this race I bought the McLaren that Graham Hill had run in the race. He also had dropped out at turn 9 when his wheel lugs broke causing the right rear wheel to come off the car. He had been running in 3rd.

Jim Clark came up to me afterwards and asked had he forced me off. I told him no, I just moved over for you and the car broke. He hugged me and said he was sorry my car had been damaged.
Very, Very, nice guy.

#24 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 17:18

Jim Clark came up to me afterwards and asked had he forced me off. I told him no, I just moved over for you and the car broke. He hugged me and said he was sorry my car had been damaged.
Very, Very, nice guy.

Now, I ask you, how many of us on this Forum can say that not only did they talk to Jim Clark but also got an appreciative hug from him!!! Sonofagun, Jerry, you continue to amaze me! :up: :up:
Tom

#25 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 18:45

Originally posted by RA Historian
Now, I ask you, how many of us on this Forum can say that not only did they talk to Jim Clark but also got an appreciative hug from him!!! Sonofagun, Jerry, you continue to amaze me! :up: :up:
Tom

Wow, I got handshakes and a pat or two on the back from JC, but never a hug, I am impressed.....

#26 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 19:17

I got an autograph from Tony Bettenhausen......
Does that count for ANYTHING????
ZOOOM

#27 Dennis Currington

Dennis Currington

• 145 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 22:16

Originally posted by ZOOOM
I got an autograph from Tony Bettenhausen......
Does that count for ANYTHING????
ZOOOM

Only if you have a Jerry Entin autograph to go along with it :D

#28 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:10

2 cents says Jerry doesn't know who Bettenhausen WAS......

ZOOOM