Photo

F1 drivers were distracted by a girl's photo in Monaco?!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:15

Martini Girl Too Hot for Formula 1 Drivers in Monaco

http://www.blogcdn.c.../05/jessiqa.jpg

A billboard featuring sultry model Jessiqa Pace (above) on the racetrack at the Monaco Grand Prix had to be taken down after it proved too distracting to Formula 1 drivers over the weekend. Pace, 29, appears in the campaign for Martini, the Italian winemaker founded in 1863 and famous for its iconic vermouth. F1 team representatives asked for the posters to be taken down after drivers complained during trial runs; champ Lewis Hamilton crashed in Saturday's qualifying round close to the gigantic image of Jessiqa. "All the attention is overwhelming," she told the London Daily Star. "I find it really funny. Obviously it's very flattering that I'm distracting the drivers so much, but I'd feel terrible if someone got hurt."

You have to be kidding me.

Advertisement

#2 Alaweni

Alaweni

• 212 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:29

DC mentioned this while driving a road car on Saturday on BBC and they flashed the billboard in Lowe's hairpin. He said they were going to take it down but it was still there on Sunday...it was for Martini. There must be another one elsewhere.

#3 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:30

Sounds like BS to me. Made up story, I mean seriously, you don't think Lewis sees enough of hot girls during his off time, to not give a **** about a picture on a bill-board???

:rotfl:

#4 Poltergeistes

Poltergeistes

• 372 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:38

I would understand DC getting distracted by it (he has always been a very distracted driver lol) while just driving by in a normal car, but there's no way the f1 drivers would be "distracted" by the poster, specially in monaco they have way too many things to do, to pay attention to. and then theres the simple fact that F1 drivers usually have no problems at finding lovely ladies such as this one for themselves...

To me this sounds more like an article to generate a buzz for the campaign.

#5 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:53

Bob Varsha from SpeedTv mentioned this girl at least 25 thousand times during the entire weekend.

Edited by BMW_F1, 27 May 2009 - 02:54.

#6 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:05

Bob Varsha from SpeedTv mentioned this girl at least 25 thousand times during the entire weekend.

Kind of surprising he found the time to do that, given how often he was pointing out the obscene wealth of Monaco.

#7 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:26

wasnt it just her face on the billboard?

#8 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:40

Yes and it's so high, I'd have thought it wasn't an issue. Even though it's so large lol

#9 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:32

maybe the drivers were thinking it was one of those interactive billboards, and were looking lap after lap for her eyebrows to grow thicker or even worse join together!

The unibrow is coming to get ya!

#10 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:38

Erhm, can you actually see the ad (which I think was somewhere around Portier?) from Mirabeau where Lewis Hamilton had his error?

I can't remember it being there during the race or not, but this story seems like somewhat sleazy (self-)promotion to me.

#11 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:50

You show me a Formula One driver who would allow himself to be seriously distracted by a poster of a girl, and I'll show you a driver soon to be looking for alternative employment.

While DC's quip was funny, there's no way any driver would allow such a distraction to affect his performance.

Just wouldn't happen.

This whole story smacks of a very nice slice of PR for Martini...

Edited by potmotr, 27 May 2009 - 06:51.

#12 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:54

as boring as the race was im not shocked

#13 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Erhm, can you actually see the ad (which I think was somewhere around Portier?) from Mirabeau where Lewis Hamilton had his error?

I can't remember it being there during the race or not, but this story seems like somewhat sleazy (self-)promotion to me.

The billboard was very much present at the lower Mirabeau (between Loews and Portier) during the race. Drivers could enjoy it face-to-face thoroughly after passing the hairpin. But I didn't notice any serious mistakes there. Although Nico Rosberg went to the outer kerb once...

#14 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

No it was viewable as they exited the Loews hairpin.

I must admit, I was constantly drawn to the advertisement as well from FP1 onwards! I read somewhere that the human brain is instantly attracted and takes notice of a face than it does words and pictures so there may be something in this. The fact she's quite attractive helps as well!

#15 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:21

No it was viewable as they exited the Loews hairpin.

I must admit, I was constantly drawn to the advertisement as well from FP1 onwards! I read somewhere that the human brain is instantly attracted and takes notice of a face than it does words and pictures so there may be something in this. The fact she's quite attractive helps as well!

That's quite a good point. The billboard distracted me all the time, just like you. And indeed the human brain is indeed instantly attracted by a face. It actually doesn't have to be an attractive face, it could also be:

:D

Just the illusion of a face is enough. That's the reason why humans see faces so easily in clouds or, for instance, inkspots.

There's a docter on Krete or Cyprus who has done a lot of research on babies that just have been born (he's the only obstetrician of the island). One of his studies show that from day ONE the baby's respond to faces with their eyemovements, automatically.

#16 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:11

You show me a Formula One driver who would allow himself to be seriously distracted by a poster of a girl, and I'll show you a driver soon to be looking for alternative employment.

While DC's quip was funny, there's no way any driver would allow such a distraction to affect his performance.

Just wouldn't happen.

http://www.mirror.co...15875-21387111/
"I had to be careful in the days before the race because I saw it and kept missing my braking point," joked Button.

#17 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:19

http://www.mirror.co...15875-21387111/
"I had to be careful in the days before the race because I saw it and kept missing my braking point," joked Button.

I'm sure all the drivers were happy to joke along and affirm their hetrosexuality to the world's media.

But do we really think they'd allow themselves to be distracted by a big poster of a girl?

I don't.

#18 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:36

The billboard was very much present at the lower Mirabeau (between Loews and Portier) during the race. Drivers could enjoy it face-to-face thoroughly after passing the hairpin. But I didn't notice any serious mistakes there. Although Nico Rosberg went to the outer kerb once...

Yes indeed. It's a shame that this story will no doubt be etched in memory forever due to a throw-away joke by DC on BBC and subsequent stupid websites like that stated in the first post printing this lie.

DC pointed to the poster during his drivearound on Saturday and it was exactly the same poster that was present during the race.

The lie would be amusing if it was actually a funny story, but it's not really.

#19 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:37

I'm sure all the drivers were happy to joke along and affirm their hetrosexuality to the world's media.

But do we really think they'd allow themselves to be distracted by a big poster of a girl?

I don't.

I don't think either, but it is not as idiotic as it seemed that they could be distracted by a giant face in the distance. I would find it annoying, to say the least, to play tennis when a giant face is hanging over the backfence...

Advertisement

#20 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:49

Same happened to me, I was drawn to the advertisment but I even think that the camera of the world feed somehow seemed to rest on the face instead of having a little lower angle focusing on the cars exclusively....

Taking male instincts into consideration, and there are many studies on this, the face surely was subconsciously irritating for the drivers.

Maybe to have such posters around a track would be a way to have a Danica Patrick or a Natacha Gachnang score an excellent result....
Bernie should think about that option :p

Edited by aditya-now, 27 May 2009 - 08:50.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:59

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the drivers be looking ahead and down at the point the poster was put up? Not up and to the left.

#22 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the drivers be looking ahead and down at the point the poster was put up? Not up and to the left.

That is exactly why it could be annoying. If I would ask you to watch a x in the middle of your computerscreen, and in the left hand corner I would flash a face (or even a smiley) your eyes will be going there for a moment - even if you don't want to. I don't know, actually, if that autoresponse is perpetual.

#23 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:13

Sounds like BS to me. Made up story, I mean seriously, you don't think Lewis sees enough of hot girls during his off time, to not give a **** about a picture on a bill-board???

:rotfl:

It was true.

But before anyone says it, Lewis never used it as any kind of excuse for his crash.

#24 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:16

That is exactly why it could be annoying. If I would ask you to watch a x in the middle of your computerscreen, and in the left hand corner I would flash a face (or even a smiley) your eyes will be going there for a moment - even if you don't want to. I don't know, actually, if that autoresponse is perpetual.

There are a hell of a lot of visual distractions around Monaco as it is, and on other tracks. Some of the advertising hoardings are immense. I don't think one more billboard of some tart would make any difference at all.

#25 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:33

RTL commentators also mumbled something about that hoarding but I paid absolutely no attention to what they said. Now it seems I missed the crucial moment of the race :p

#26 Incast

Incast

• 129 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:43

Same happened to me, I was drawn to the advertisment but I even think that the camera of the world feed somehow seemed to rest on the face instead of having a little lower angle focusing on the cars exclusively....

Yes, this race marked the only one which won't be covered by FOM this season. For a number of years the tunnel entry camera always zoomed into the Marlboro banner at the top of the tunnel rather than the cars entering the tunnel itself. For the past 2 years the same has started to happen at Loews with them zooming into the advertising.

This year they decided to treat us by using both camera angles for advertising.

Although the model is easy on the eye, I always find the TMC approach to be a pain. Even in advertising frenzy NASCAR you don't have camera crews zooming in on billboards.

#27 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:10

There are a hell of a lot of visual distractions around Monaco as it is, and on other tracks. Some of the advertising hoardings are immense. I don't think one more billboard of some tart would make any difference at all.

Some posters were talking about the human tendency - the genetic urge almost - to look at faces. Haven't you noticed?

#28 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:15

I heard Nakajima was complaining about it

#29 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 566 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:15

The source is the 'Daily Star' i need not say anymore on the subject......

#30 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:16

http://homepage.mac....970D5A411DC.jpg

#31 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:21

it's all about how you define "distraction". According to the free online version of the oxford dictionary: a thing that diverts attention.

apparently button saw the sign, for a brief moment or moments he wasn't looking at the track but looked at the sign. He therefore was distracted. I don't think it had any effect on his or others performance.

#32 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:23

I can believe it "for sure". Us guys cannot fail to be distracted by a beautiful woman. We can focus and concentrate but ultimately I believe there is some "autoreaction" on at least one occasion. Evolution has programmed into our brains to look for such beauty. It is simply a man's primieval urges to spot good genetic quality and have a desire to impregnate it with his own genetic material! :D Not an F1 driver obviously but my friend was checking out some beautiful chick in his car and actually crashed into the back of the car in front!

Personally that picture is very alluring. There's some je ne sais quoi about it. The timeless red, gold and black of the Martini symbol which in combination with her long hair wrapping slightly around the face, mouth pouting open as if on some sort of sexual heat, the Mediterranean look. All in black and white to add to the mystery and it almost looks like something from out of the 70s, back to the days of the likes of the smoking, drinking and womanising James Hunt type drivers.

The other things I like about this chick is that she's 29 and not much younger like many models are. This girl is pure woman.

edit: I just noticed in the bigger pic above she has some kind of sooty face except around the eyes like you would get from wearing goggles??? Is she supposed to be racing in that pic??

Here it is below, oh and if you notice the pictures from the weekend of her posing, she really looks quite different in "real life", very nice too but almost destorying my fantasy from the photo! :cool:

http://i44.tinypic.com/mhsktv.jpg

btw the original article above is lazy journalism. Lewis could not even see the sign and it was never taken down like some sources are claiming.

Edited by mel, 28 May 2009 - 22:03.

#33 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:12

It might have been something the drivers noticed when they did their track walks, and perhaps noted once more while doing their instalation laps, but to seriously suggest the photo would distract is crazy IMO.

It is the same kind of macho reinforcement we have to endure each year with that piece on the Monaco fashion show.

#34 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:58

Just wouldn't happen.

I have worked with top drivers and you would be surprised what they see trackside, in fact I have noticed the better the more they take in of their whole enviroment around them and that is also part of personal phycolygist's training to do just that.

If you think they just look down the track you would be wrong.

Just as an aside theres a funny setup clip on Youtube of a racecar in the lead that suddenly crashes out and on slow mo in car replay they show a topless girl that distracts the driver! I cant get Youtube but someone may link it?

#35 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:02

I heard Nakajima was complaining about it

Which would be crap, Asian women are just drop dead stunning, 5 walking down any short street for one of her in a whole city - unless he meant from an ugly side of things.....

All IMO of course  ;)

#36 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:09

there is absolutely no way if the driver is concentrated to be distracted by that, because if he sees it se sees it only as a mark, a brake mark or shift mark.

I used to sail regattas. I was helmsman and was very fired up about that ( I even won few major regattas) Once I sailed in one minor local regatta and there was also all women crew on one boat. Than they decided to distract opposition and one of them (bowman I think) went topless. After the race finished I heard stories about topless bowman but I never actually noticed it I was too busy watching tell tales, windex etc.... Infact none of our crew noticed it.

It is all in commitment and concentration. If you are not concentrated that you will notice unimportant things

Edited by brabhamBT19, 27 May 2009 - 12:10.

#37 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:16

Which would be crap, Asian women are just drop dead stunning, 5 walking down any short street for one of her in a whole city - unless he meant from an ugly side of things.....

All IMO of course ;)

IMO they look anemic, too pale

#38 Greem

Greem

• 324 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 13:01

Even in advertising frenzy NASCAR you don't have camera crews zooming in on billboards.

No, but you do have to put up with the excruciating sponsor-laden verbal presentation. I refer the honourable gentleman to:

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=3505001

G

#39 brawngpteam.com

brawngpteam.com

• 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 13:23

Martini Girl Too Hot for Formula 1 Drivers in Monaco

Hah... The best drivers in the world... Shoulda got a female driver in

Advertisement

#40 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 13:27

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peripheral+vision

#41 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 13:42

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peripheral+vision

That's really weird DJ, what is it trying to show?

#42 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 13:43

He says he's not obsessed...

http://formula-one.s...the-final-word/

#43 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 14:00

didn't they move it up during the weekend?

#44 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 717 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 14:17

Viral marketing guys, and you're all part of it now.

#45 Bouncing Pink Ball

Bouncing Pink Ball

• 758 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 14:19

I'm not male and I'd have been distracted by a giant face looming over me all day. But yeah, this story is silliness spun to make it out that the girl, thus the ad, is sooo stunning that it took over the track. :rotfl:

BTW, I noticed Varsha going on and on about the girl during practice on Speed. I assumed it was intended to bring a touch of America (she's American) into the show. Canadian television presenters do this all the time when showing events from other countries ("And here comes float x and...guess what! The sign hanging on the left was designed by a CANADIAN!!11!!".) so I expect it was much the same.

#46 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 14:26

He says he's not obsessed...

http://formula-one.s...the-final-word/

Thanks, that's interesting reading!

I love it when thin-skinned journalists try to bite back at posters on BBs. It just seems so... lame.

Varsha quote:

Oh, and one final note to the poster at SPEEDtv.com who thought my mentioning the prominent Martini billboard in Monaco featuring American model Jessiqa Pace once in each broadcast amounted to an obsession: apparently the drivers found her photo distracting enough to ask that the billboard be moved before the race. They don’t find you and me and a hundred million other live worldwide television viewers to be intimidating, but a photo of Ms. Pace was? I rest my case.

#47 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 14:56

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#48 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 15:11

there is absolutely no way if the driver is concentrated to be distracted by that, because if he sees it se sees it only as a mark, a brake mark or shift mark.

I used to sail regattas. I was helmsman and was very fired up about that ( I even won few major regattas) Once I sailed in one minor local regatta and there was also all women crew on one boat. Than they decided to distract opposition and one of them (bowman I think) went topless. After the race finished I heard stories about topless bowman but I never actually noticed it I was too busy watching tell tales, windex etc.... Infact none of our crew noticed it.

It is all in commitment and concentration. If you are not concentrated that you will notice unimportant things

But still, an enormous face... I think it is more distracting than two enormous boobs. Seriously!

#49 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 15:13

But still, an enormous face... I think it is more distracting than two enormous boobs. Seriously!

Even blown up to poster size, I'm not sure those could ever be described as enormous.  ;)

#50 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 15:40

Viral marketing guys, and you're all part of it now.

This :up:

Now we need somebody to mention the brand name again, in big capital letters.