• Please log in to reply
1187 replies to this topic

#751 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:50

Originally posted by fvebr
June 16th....

Birth of British Williams Ronald 'Ron' FLOCKHART who liend up in 14 Gp between 1954 and 1960 (3rd in Italy 56 with a CONNAUGHT/ALTA)... He won Le Mans that same year with SANDERSON and a JAGUAR E Type and alson in 57 with Ivor BUEB... Ron was killed in 62 during the Air Race London-Sydney with a P-51 MUSTANG...

While we are picking on him! ;)
He wasn't killed during the air race (He crashed in Melbourne) He was killed well before the race started.

Advertisement

#752 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:59

:evil:

Both Right... Just For the D-E type... Found both...So.... Next time i'll send everything in french so i'll make less mistakes :mad:

About that supposed P-51.... http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/old113.htm

#753 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:32

:blush: :down: :down: :down:
Ooooops.... Right..... Musso had his accident July 6th in Reims....

Apologize :o :blush: :o

Musso did have a big shunt at Spa though when he went off at Stavelot and destroyed his Ferrari. Hawthorne apparently thought it was ' Son Mate Ami' and seemed to lose interest in the race. It was only after he saw Collins in the pits that he went for it . Possibly he could have beaten Tony Brooks if it hadn't been for Musso's shunt.

#754 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 12:04

...or maybe he'd have broken the car sooner.

He did coast over the line with a gearbox or engine problem, didn't he?

#755 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:40

A chance to catch up a bit here...

First, a tremendous thanks to fvebr and fines for their posts. Good job :up: Didn't mean to leave you guys in the lurch, but Richard is busy and I'm still trying to catch-up.

JUNE 15, 1952 - LeMans, France...Hermann Lang and Fritz Riess teamed in a Mercedes-Benz 300SL to win the '24 Hours of LeMans' Sports Car race. The winning duo ran 276 laps around the 8.378 mile circuit. The Theo Helfrich/Helmut Niedermayr 300SL was 2nd, 1 lap back. Briggs Cunningham and Bill Spear drove a Cunningham C4R-Chrysler to 4th.

1957 - Newport, Tennessee...Fireball Roberts scored his 6th NASCAR Grand National win of the season, driving his own Ford to victory in the 100 mile race on the 1/2 mile dirt Newport Speedway. Marvin Panch finished 2nd in his own Ford with Buck Baker 3rd in his own Chevy. The first Southern GN race in wake of the June 6th manufacturers pullout (a result of a car going into the crowd and injuring five spectators at Martinsville on May 19) saw Roberts' first win as a car owner. Most of the former factory drivers were sold their cars by the factories. NASCAR raised first place money to $1000 to help the newly independent drivers. Paul Goldsmith was the only former factory backed driver not on hand.

JUNE 16, 1917 - Chicago, Illinois...Earl Cooper drove his Stutz to victory in the 250 mile AAA race on the 2 mile board Maywood Speedway. Cooper averaged 103.15 mph on the high banked track. It was Cooper's 2nd win of the season and 13th of his career.

JUNE 17, 1922 - Uniontown, Pennsylvania...Jimmy Murphy scored his 3rd straight AAA Championship race win, taking the 225 mile race on the 1.125 mile board Uniontown Speedway. Murphy averaged 102.2 mph in his Miller/Duesenberg. It was also Murphy's 5th win of the 1922 season.

1962 - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium...Jim Clark drove a Lotus-Climax to victory in the F1 Belgian Grand Prix. After a lead swapping duel between Trevor Taylor and Willy Mairesse, Clark took the lead on lap 9 and drove away. The torrid duel for second subsided a bit as Taylor finally pulled clear only to spin at La Source and allow Mairesse back into a battle. This came to an end the 26th of the 32 laps as the cars touched at Blanchimont, sending Taylor's Lotus crashing into a telegraph pole and Mairesse's Ferrari overturning in flames. Mairesse suffered serious injuries while Taylor emerged with cuts and bruises. Clark went on to take the checkered flag 43 seconds ahead of Graham Hill's BRM with Phil Hill edging Ferrari teammate Ricardo Rodriguez by a wheel to take 3rd. With Porsche absent, a BRM powered Lotus was prepared for Dan Gurney, but after practicing, he deemed it unraceworthy and was a non-starter.

#756 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:07

No prob Jim... Thanks... I just love it... Completing 17th... (doubling your 1962 spa :wave: )

So June 17th...

Gilles Villeneuve Track... Canada... Nigel MANSELL (LOTUS/RENAULT) is 7th on grid for his 50th Gp, pole being taken by Nelson PIQUET (BRABHAM/BMW) followed by Alain PROST (McLAREN/TAG)... Nigel will finish 6th, race winner being Nelson PIQUET (Fastest lap) followed by Niki LAUDA (McLAREN/TAG) who made a great race... Podium was completed by Alain PROST in 3rd position...

1978 :up:
Anderstorp... Sweden... Mario ANDRETTI (LOTUS/FORD) is on pole ahead the strange BRABHAM/ALFA-ROMEO of John WATSON and Niki LAUDA... ANDRETTI took the best start with WATSON and LAUDA right behind... WATSON was dropped fast as his turbine command was dustied... LAUDA and his skill had just to wait for the FORD engine of ANDRETTI's LOTUS (under pressure) just blast off... LAUDA took easily the lead, the fastest lap and the win ahead of Riccardo PATRESE (ARROWS/FORD) who did all he could (and more) for his 1st podium and for saving his 2nd place from Ronnie PETERSON (LOTUS/FORD).... It was the only win for this car nicknamed the 'Aspirator' or 'Gravel Gun'... ISC prohibiting this improvment in the next days...

1962 :up: :up: :up:
Spa Francorcorchamps... Belgium... Graham HILL (BRM) signs his 1st pole ahead of Bruce McLAREN (COOPER/CLIMAX) and Trevor TAYLOR (LOTUS/CLIMAX), 3rd for his 1st front row... TAYLOR was right behind the huge battle between HILL and McLAREN, just like Willy MAIRESSE (FERRARI) and Jim CLARK (LOTUS/CLIMAX)... HILL, McLAREN, TAYLOR and MAIRESSE shared the lead... Until the 9th lap.... Then CLARK took definitly the lead and signed the fastest lap... 6 Laps before the end, CLARK is far on lead... HILL is 4th ... TAYLOR and MAIRESSE are stuggling for 2nd place.... But in Blanchimont TAYLOR slides... MAIRESSE can't avoid him... It's the collision... The FERRARI burst in fire and rolls over... Luckily, MAIRESSE has been thrown out of the car... Seriously injured but alive... A miracle... Jim CLARK takes a great 1st win, Graham HILL taking teh 2nd place ahead of Phil HILL's FERRARI...

Birth of Spanish Adrian CAMPOS who lined up in 21 Gp in 87 an 88 for MINARDI... Still racing in sports cars and endurance....

1956 :cry:
Death of American Robert 'Bob' SWEIKERT who raced 5 Gp in Indianapolis from 52 til 56 (winner in 55 with a KURTIS-KRAFT/OFFENHAUSER)... He was the only driver to win the same year the Indy 500, National Championship and Midget Sprint Championship... He was about to take again the win for the championships of National and Sprint when he was killed during that USAC race in Salem...

1951 :up:
Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... The ALFA-ROMEO of Juan Manuel FANGIO and Nino FARINA are ahead of the FERRARI of Luigi VILLORESI on the grid... FANGIO who took the lead after signing a great fastest lap had to stop for Tyres... But a wheel couldn't be taken off... He started again but with a 4 laps gap... Struggle was hard between FARINA, VILLORESI and Alberto ASCARI (FERRARI) but if FARINA took easily the win, ASCARI took the 2nd step after Luigi VILLORESI (1st podium) entered pits...

#757 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:14

This thread is now running for half a year - congrats! :D

#758 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 10:25

The Gravel Gun....

Posted Image

#759 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 21:22

Originally posted by fines

You have to share in that Michael. Thanks for your contributions.

From when I did this originally, I've got the rest of the year, err, umm - from August on. Even without being ill this Spring, I had gaps in June and July.

I thought I might have time to add to the listings (and database) about now, but other things have come up :(

Perhaps soon.

Until then, I'll add when I can. Thanks again to fvebr and Michael for picking up the slack around here :up:

Jim Thurman

Advertisement

#760 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 07:17

June 18th... Always 1 day late... Just to let Jim have time to find much more complete information than me (and surely with less errors :yawn: ) here was on... I edited it as i mixed 2 dates... :down:

1995 Yannick Dalmas-J.J. Lehto-Masanori Sekiya wins Le Mans for the 1st apparition of the McLaren-BMW, 2nd was the Courage with Andretti-Wollek-Helary and 3rd another McLaren with D.Bell-J.Bell-Wallace.

Gilles Villeneuve Track... Canada... The McLAREN/HONDA of Alain PROST and Ayrton SENNA are dominating the qualifications... A Festival for SENNA unedr a changing meteo... Wet track... Rain tyres... Start... Track is drying... Lap 4... Ayrton stops and sets the slicks... Lap 7 it rains... SENNA keeps on with the slicks but he is loosing a lot... Back in pits.. He is 6th very far... But it's raining and he has now the right tyres... 30 laps before the end he is already far on lead... But with 3 laps to go the engine blows up... And Thierry BOUTSEN (WILLIAMS/RENAULT) takes his 1st win ahead of his team mate Riccardo PATRESE and the DALLARA/FORD of Andrea De CESARIS... Jonathan PALMER (TYRRELL/FORD) signing th fastest lap during the dry part of the race....

Death of Italian Franco ROL who raced 5 Gp between 1950and 1952 (9th in Italy 51with OSCA)

Spa Francorcorchamps... Belgium...Dan GURNEY (EAGLE/WESLAKE) is between the LOTUS/FORD of Jim CLARK and Graham HILL... But GURNEY was too fast that day... He brought to the team EAGLE their 1st win and 1st Fastest lap ahead of Jackie STEWART (BRM) and Chris AMON (FERRARI)...

A F3 Race in Caserta... A shunt... A driver runs out of his car to warn the incoming drivers... He is caught and killed by Giacomo RUSSO 'GEKI' who himself crashed in a wall and died in the flames... GEKI was 1964 F3 Italian champion and was also driving in sports cars... He lined up in 3 italian Gp in 64, 65 and 66 where he finished 9th with a LOTUS/CLIMAX

Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... FERRARI are on the front row with Phil HILL, Wolfgang Von TRIPS and Olivier GENDEBIEN (1st front Row)...FERRARI dominates the race without problems Phil HILL signing the fastest lap and taking the win for his 10th podium ahead of Von TRIPS, Richie GINTHER (FERRARI) taking the 3rd place..

Death of American Al HERMAN who raced 5 Gp in Indianapolisbetween 55 and 60 (7th in 55 with a KURTIS-KRAFT/OFFENHAUSER)

Birth of new zealander Denis Clive 'Denny' HULME...The Bear raced 112 Gp from 65 til 74... 8 wins, 33 podiums, 1 pole, 23 front rows and 9 fastest laps... World champion 1967 with a BRABHAM/REPCO... Very proud of his origins, he raced only for BRABHAM and then his friend Bruce McLAREN... He dropped F1 in 74 after Peter REVSON's accident... Careful and complete driver, he also raced in sports cars, Endurance and Can Am (Champion 68 and 70)... In 1992 he was still racing... During Bathurst 1000km, he stopped his BMW M3 beside the track... Marshalls just found out the driver was dead...Denny HULME had a heart attack...

#761 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:02

Jun 18

1936 1967 World Drivers Champion Denny Hulme is born.

1946 1912 Indy 500 winner Joe Dawson dies.

1960 1955 Indy Rookie of the Year Al Herman dies.

1967 1964 Italian F3 Champion Giacomo "Geki" Russo dies.

1979 1994 Middle-Japan FR2 Kart Champion Tsugio Matsuda is born.

#762 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:07

Jun 19

1931 SCCA F5000 driver Bill Baker is born.

1953 Multiple Belgian Touring Car Champion Jean-Michel Martin is born.

1960 Jimmy Bryan, Chris Bristow and Alan Stacey die. :cry:

#763 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:26

Going on with 19th....

1977 :up: :clap:
Anderstorp.. Sweden... Ronnie PETERSON (TYRRELL/FORD) is 10th on grid for his 100th Gp... Front row is taken by Mario ANDRETTI (LOTUS/FORD) and John WATSON (BRABHAM/ALFA-ROMEO)... Jacques LAFFITE (LIGIER/MATRA) is only 8th... If ANDRETTI flies away and signs the fastest lap, LAFFITE is coming back slowly to the 2nd place and gains over ANDRETTI forced to push a bit his LOTUS/FORD... From 22'' gap 30 laps from finish, It's only 15'' at 15 laps from finish... At LIGIER's they prefer to secure a good second place when suddenly... 2 laps before the end... ANDRETTI enters pits for refuelling... He used too much petrol to keep the LIGIER behind... Jacques LAFFITE and LIGIER celebrates together their 1st win ahead of Jochen MASS (McLAREN/FORD) and Carlos REUTEMANN (FERRARI)... Mario ANDRETTI managing a 6th place after he dominated nearly all the race....

1960 :cry: :cry: :cry:
Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... The COOPER/CLIMAX of Jack BRABHAM and Tony BROOKS are ahead of the FERRARI of Phil HILL on Grid... Stirling MOSS and Mike TAYLOR (both with LOTUS/CLIMAX) won't race as they were injured during qualiffications... A tragic race... On start, Jack BRABHAM flies away... Nobody will catch him while behind the stuggle is hige between Olivier GENDEBIEN and Bruce McLAREN (COOPER/CLIMAX), Phil HILL, Graham HILL and Jo BONNIER (BRM) and Ines IRELAND (LOTUS/CLIMAX) who will set his 1st fastest lap, followed then by Jack BRABHAM and Phil HILL a bit later... But on lap 20, Chris BRISTOW (COOPER/CLIMAX) fighting with Willy MAIRESSE (FERRARI) seems to be a biyt wide out of a curve.. He goes off the track and his violently the fences... Decapitated, Chris BRISTOW dies... Lap 24, Alan STACEY (LOTUS/CLIMAX) goes out in the same area... He is killed too... A preach who saw the accident tried to take STACEY out of the car and he found that there were feathers stucked in the glasses... Hitted in face by a bird, unconscious, the car hardly crashed... Jack BRABHAM gave COOPER their 1st win ahead of Bruce McLAREN... Olivier GENDEBIEN 3rd signing his 1st podium..

It was that day the promising british Christopher 'Chris' BRISTOW died... He started in 56 and won many races with 1100cc COOPER in 57... His 1st Gp was Great Britain 59 (10th) with a COOPER/BORGWARD... After Harry SCHELL's death he had just baecame the Driver N°1 for the YEOMAN team..

A few minutes later, the other british Alan STACEY was killed too... Knocked unconscious by a bird, he was killed in the crash... He started F1 in 1958 with a LOTUS/CLIMAX and finsihed only once for his 7 attempts (8th Great Britain 1959)

Death Also in the USA during a dirt track race of American James Ernest 'Jimmy' BRYAN who raced 9 Indianapolis Gp between 1952 and 1960.. 1 Win (1958 with EPPERLY/OFFENHAUSER), 3 podiums and 1 front row... USAF WWII pilot, he started by the hot rods in 46, and Midgets in 47... USAC winner in 56 and 57, he won the famous Race of two worlds in Monza 57, and finished 2nd for that same race in 59..

Zandwoort... Hiolland... The unbeatable MERCEDES are on the front row with Juan Manuel FANGIO, Strirling MOSS and Karl KLING... After Le Mans Tragedy and LANCIA's retirement due also to the death of ASCARI, nothing seems to be able to stop the MERCEDES... Juan Manuel FANGIO takes the win followed by Stirling MOSS... The MASERATI of Luigi MUSSO (3rd) and Roberto MIERES (1st fastest lap) are far behind...

Not racing but.... :cat:

1623 birth of Blaise Pascal, Many inventions and philosoph, mathematician, physician , theologian...etc... ...
He intended the 1st municipality Transports inside a town (Paris)

#764 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 09:25

:(

A few minutes later, the other british Alan STACEY was killed too... Knocked unconscious by a bird, he was killed in the crash... He started F1 in 1958 with a LOTUS/CLIMAX and finsihed only once for his 7 attempts (8th Great Britain 1959)

Did we have a thread about this subject some time ago was his story told at that time.

#765 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 09:33

There have been mentions...

http://www.atlasf1.c...=&postid=881181

http://www.atlasf1.c...&postid=1088120

http://www.atlasf1.c...=&postid=766963

...but there is no specific thread about him and his accident.

#766 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:47

:wave: Thanks RAY. :up:

#767 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 13:34

:eek:
Did you know that Stacey was having an artificial lower right leg and needing a motorcycle-type throttle control ???

A sort of Formula 1 Bader...

BTW A preach came and tried to releve him... Not sure he was still in his car...

One error for me when looking to other threads... :down:
Knowledge comes with errors...

#768 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 14:10

Originally posted by fines

Thanks to you too Michael... Your first set of recent posts in this thread really make me look bad, but make the thread look great! I bow to your superior knowledge of racing history! I knew you were the right guy to ask… :p

A huge thanks also to Fvebr, Ray, Jim, eldougo and everyone who took up the slack and kept this baby going while I was gone... I was quite a trip and it's not over yet. But since I'm back in So. CA at the moment, it the least I can do to stop in and give a word of profound appreciation for the time and effort that all of you have put into to this thread. :clap: :cool:

This weekend is the huge, 4 day, Historic Festival event by HSR, held at California Speedway in Fontana, CA and sponsored by RACER Magazine. Race Director, Ed Swart should be putting on one hulluva show... Maybe I'll see you there.... Then I'm off to Oregon for another meeting, but I should be able to start in again here next week. I wonder how many Le Mans events have yet to be placed in here ??? :drunk:

Anyway,

On to today... June 19,

I see no need to mention again, the dark days of today in motorsports history.

1899, Ettore Bugatti won the 175km Padua-Vincenza-Thiene-Bassano-Treviso-Padua road race driving a twin-engined tricycle of his own design.

1922, Rudolf Caracciola drove a Mercedes-Benz 680 to win in the first race on the Nürburgring in Germany.

1940, Shirley Muldowney, 3-time NHRA Top Fuel champion and the first woman to win a major racing championship was born.

1949, Myron Fohr, drove the Marchese Brothers Special. He won, the first AAA Championship race on the 1-mile dirt oval at Trenton, New Jersey.

1949, NASCAR staged its first Grand National event at the Charlotte, North Carolina Fairgounds, marking the birth of NASCAR racing as we know it today. In 1946, race promoter Bill France began promoting the event in Charlotte. As he explains it, “I wanted to run a 100-mile national championship race at the fairgrounds, but [local sports editor] Wilton Garrison said I couldn’t call it a national championship race.” Garrison argued that France “might call it a North Carolina championship race, but you have to get some kind of a national organization to sanction it in order to call it a national championship race.” So began Bill France’s dream of creating a national sanctioning body for stock car racing, which would govern points standing as well as organize races in states across the country. During the 1946 stock car season France formed the National Championship Stock Car Circuit, withholding a purse for the point fund, keeping track of standings, attempting to enforce uniform rules, and paying the drivers on time. That year France expanded stock car racing’s range, arranging races all over the South. The 1947 season began with a 160-mile race at Daytona Beach. By the middle of the season France had incorporated more than a dozen tracks into his circuit; he offered a guaranteed purse of $2,000 at each event; and he created a slogan, “Where the fastest that run, run the fastest.” Unfortunately, at that point most of the racecars were modified stock pre-war Fords, and France and his governing body had a nearly impossible time enforcing regulations placed on modification of the car engines. The combination of his success with the NCSCC and his failure to enforce strict rules led him to call a meeting in December of 1947 at the Streamline Hotel in Daytona to discuss a more substantial governing body for stock car racing. What emerged from the meetings was the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, NASCAR. The 1948 season was a more tightly governed version of the previous year. Nineteen forty-nine saw the sport’s final breakthrough, when France decided that product identification would greatly add to fan interest in stock car racing. As all of the major car companies had released postwar models, France created rules in the off-season that would allow for a Grand National division of NASCAR racing. Only late model, strictly stock cars would be allowed in the Grand National class. A crowd of 13,000 watched as Jim Roper won the inaugural event on the three-quarter mile dirt track at the Charlotte Fairgrounds. Future legend, Lee Petty finished 17th in his first NASCAR race after rolling his car, a '48 Buick Roadmaster he borrowed from a neighbor.

1960, Lance Reventlow becomes the first man to race a car of his own manufacture in an F1 race. He started his Scarab 15th in the Belgian Grand Prix, but did not finish.

1963, Jean Blaton drove a Ferrari 250 GTO to victory in the sportscar race at Zolder, Belgium.

1966, Ford GT40s finish 1-2-3 as Ford won their first 24 Hours of Le Mans. Bruce McLaren & Chris Amon were first, Denny Hulme & Ken Miles second, and Ronnie Bucknum & Dick Hutcherson came in third.

1988, In Detroit for the F1 GP, It was Senna taking charge in this one as he firmly planted his McLaren on pole and teammate Prost was fourth on the grid. Gerhard Berger had a good start from second on the grid, but only 6 laps in, he had a puncture that forced his retirement. Third place started Alboreto in the other Ferrari only faired well to lap 45 before his engine expired. Setting fastest lap, it was Prost who moved up to second at the end, though 38 seconds behind Senna at the finish. Prost was the only other driver to finish on the same lap as Senna. 1 lap down was, Thierry Boutsen in third with his Benetton, Andrea de Cesaris fourth in the Rial, a fine drive from 12th, Jonathan Palmer in the Tyrrell fifth, and Pierluigi Martini sixth in his Minardi.

1999, Ferrari launches the 360 Modena at the Meadowlands in New Jersey, USA.

#769 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 23:01

JUNE 18, 1967 - Rockingham, North Carolina...Richard Petty drove his Petty Enterprises Plymouth to victory in the NASCAR Grand National 'Carolina 500' on the 1.1 mile North Carolina Motor Speedway. Petty finished a lap ahead of Buddy Baker's Ray Fox Dodge in taking his 11th win of the season to date (!).

1967 - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium...Dan Gurney drove his Eagle to victory in the F1 Belgian GP (I know there's a lot more to this, but I'll defer to the other posters on this one).

1967 - Langhorne, Pennsylvania...Lloyd Ruby won the 100 mile USAC Championship race on the 1 mile paved Langhorne Speedway.

1972 - Riverside, California...Three time defending NASCAR Western Grand National champ Ray Elder drove his family owned Dodge to victory in the NASCAR Grand National 'Golden State 400' at Riverside International Raceway. The win was Elder's second against the GN regulars (the other being in January 1971 on the same Riverside circuit) and dispelled notions that the previous was a "fluke". Elder cruised home a lap ahead of Benny Parsons' L.G. DeWitt Mercury with Donnie Allison two more laps back in the Roger Penske Matador.

1972 - Watkins Glen, New York...Graham McRae wins the Formula 5000 'Watkins Glen Grand Prix' on time aggregate, having won the second heat. Brian Redman won the first heat.

1972 - Watkins Glen, New York...George Follmer drove an AMC Javelin to victory in a Trans-Am race at Watkins Glen International Raceway.

1972 - Rome, Italy...Emerson Fittipaldi drove a Lotus 72 to victory in the non-championship F1 'Gran Premio Republica Italiana' on the Vallelunga circuit. Fittipaldi crossed the line about 33 seconds ahead of Andrea deAdamich's Surtees TS9 and Nanni Galli finished 3rd in a Tecno PA123. 15 cars started the race (I thought this was the Rome GP?...or did it have a new name by then?).

#770 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 23:31

JUNE 19, 1927 - LeMans, France...Sammy Davis and John Benjafield drove a Bentley "Sport" to victory in the 24 Hours of LeMans Sports Car race.

1932 - LeMans, France...Raymond Sommer and Luigi Chinetti teamed in an Alfa Romeo 8C to win the 24 Hours of LeMans.

1932 - Hammond, Indiana...H.A. "Stubby" Stubblefield drove to his only AAA Championship race win, taking the 100 mile race on the 1 mile oiled dirt Roby Speedway. Stubblefield averaged 76.27 mph in his Miller/Adams. It was also the only Championship trail race on the Roby track.

1962 - Augusta, Georgia...Joe Weatherley drove the Bud Moore Pontiac to victory in the 100 mile NASCAR Grand National race on the 1/2 mile dirt Augusta Speedway.

1977 - Anderstorp, Sweden...When Mario Andretti ran out of fuel with 3 laps to go while leading comfortably, Jacques Laffite took the lead and went on to win the F1 Swedish GP at Anderstorp Park. Laffite's Ligier took the checkered 8 seconds ahead of Jochen Mass' McLaren with Carlos Reutemann 3rd in a Ferrari. After a quick refill, Andretti wound up 6th. Laffite saved his tires and moved from 5th to 2nd in just 4 laps between laps 38 through 41. Andretti had won the pole and led every lap until what proved to be a fuel meter switching to full rich increased his fuel consumption and sent his Lotus sputtering into the pits after 68 laps.

1977 - Brooklyn, Michigan...Cale Yarborough, driving Junior Johnson's Chevrolet, won the 400 mile NASCAR Grand National race on the 2 mile Michigan International Speedway.

1977 - Enna, Sicily, Italy...Vittorio Brambilla drove an Alfa Romeo T33SC/12 to victory in the World Sports Car Championship 'Coppa Florio' on the Enna-Pergusa circuit.

#771 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:59

:cool:

1960, Lance Reventlow becomes the first man to race a car of his own manufacture in an F1 race. He started his Scarab 15th in the Belgian Grand Prix, but did not finish.

------------------------------------

And he could be very proud of that ,he was then followed a few years latter by our
Sir Jack Brabham an we Aussies are very proud of him. :up:

#772 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:09

Mine for 20th...

1971 :up:
Zandwoort... Holland... Under the rain the Firestones are the best and Jacky ICKX (FERRARI) takes the pole in front of Pedro RODRIGUEZ (BRM) and Jackie STEWART (TYRRELL/FORD)... RODRIGUEZ took the best start, followe dby ICKX... Those 2 drivers fast digged the gap on that wet track while a spin festival was eliminating the most dangerous pretenders... STEWART was dropped behind already in the 3rd lap with injection problems and left the struggle for 3rd place to Clay REGAZZONI (FERRARI), John SURTEES (SURTEES/FORD), Ronnie PETERSON (MARCH/FORD) and Jean-Pierre BELTOISE (MATRA) who took a great start... Lap 8, Jacky ICKX takes over RODRIGUEZ and digs the gap signing his 10th fastest lap... Jacky ICKX took the win, just in front of Pedro RODRIGUEZ... Clay REGAZZONI 3rd was already 1 lap behind...

1954 :up:
Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... Theorically, MASERATI has no chance against the FERRARI but MASERATI has a driver named Juan Manuel FANGIO... He takes the pole ahead of the FERRARI of Jose Froilan GONZALEZ and Nino FARINA... GONZALEZ takes the best start, followed by FARINA, Mike HAWTHORN (FERRARI) and FANGIO... Already on the 1st lap, GONZALEZ breaks his engine... Alone against 3, FANGIO pushes like hell, taking the lead 3 times in the curvy part and signing the fastest lap, and loosing it downhill where FARINA's FERRARI was demonstrating it's power... In this struggle, both dropped their opponents until lap 14 when FARINA's transmission broke... HAWTHORN intoxicated by a defectuous exhaust gave the wheel to GONZALEZ who also had to stop soon for a necessary repair... With 1mn15'' gap, Juan Manuel FANGIO secures and win the race ahead of Maurice TRINTIGNANT (FERRARI) and Stirling MOSS (MASERATI) both celebrating their 1st podium... A great Gift from FANGIO who was leaving MASERATI and will drive the next race for MERCEDES...

1952 :cry:
Death of Italian Luigi FAGIOLI from his injuries after a big crash in a sports car race in Monte Carlo... He was one of the 1st great italian drivers... The 'old Abruzzi robber' raced 7 Gp in 50 and 51 (3rd 1950 Championship) he took 1 win (France 1951 - ALFA-ROMEO), 6 podiums and 4 front rows... Member of the Famous team ALFA ROMEO 3 F (FARINA, FANGIO, FAGIOLI) who were dominating the 1st Championship Gps, he started racing in 1930 with MASERATI.. In 1933 he won for FERRARI in Pescara, Commingues, Marseille and Italy... In 34 Italy and Spain for MERCEDES... Back in racing after WWII, he dropped the Gp after being asked to leave the wheel to FANGIO... Upsetted, he kept racing in lower series...

Birth of German Paul PIETSCH who raced 3 Gp between 1950 and 1952 but didn't finish any... 3rd with AUTO-UNION and ROSEMEYER at Italian Gp 1935, 3rd in 1939 with MASERATI in German Gp... He won the Eiffel race in 1950...

#773 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:21

1972.. Gp of Italian Republic non championship... And here is the Winner
:clap:

http://www.pilotesde...tipaldi_nc.html

#774 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:22

The damn jet lag has me up at this hour, so I might as well crank this out....

Fvebr, thanks for plugging along with those GP entries… :up: though I think you’re not exactly correct on the passing of Luigi Fagoli. According to my sources; in 1952, a few weeks after he finished third in the Mille Miglia, he was practicing for the supporting touring car race at the Monaco Grand Prix and crashed seemingly innocuously. Succumbing to his injuries three weeks later, on June 20, 1952. BTW, He also holds the distinction of being the oldest Grand Prix winner at 53 when he shared his last drive in '51 with Fangio in the French Grand Prix.

June 20,

1945, Shekhar Mehta, the only five-time winner of the Safari Rally, was born in Nairobi, Kenya, on this day. The most grueling rally race in the world, The Safari originated in 1953 at the behest of the Royal East African Automobile Association. East African racing clubs had maintained an interest in running an international rally event ever since the road from Nairobi to Johannesburg had become a popular route for endurance tests during the 1930s. Logistical problems prevented plotting a racecourse form Nairobi to Johannesburg, but in 1953, in an unstable Kenya, the Royal East African Auto Club organizers seized on the idea of a race that would remain entirely in East Africa. A racecourse starting and finishing in Nairobi and circumnavigating Lake Victoria was considered ideal. Racing enthusiasts gathered support for the plan by suggesting that the race be held in honor of Queen Elizabeth’s June 2 coronation. Colonial authorities approved the idea, and the race was on. Since that inaugural race the Safari has become one of the world’s premier rally races. Initially running through the east African nations of Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, today the Safari is limited to Kenya for political sovereignty issues. The longest Safari Rally ever, Mehta’s debut race in 1971, covered 3,852 miles of unpaved paths and open country. The event covers land at altitudes ranging from sea level to 10,000 feet above sea level, and while 107 cars began the 1971 race, only thirty-two finished. Mehta won his first Safari Rally in 1973, becoming the second Kenyan to claim the title. He dominated the event in the late seventies and early eighties, winning four Safaris in a row with navigator Mike Doughty guiding their Datsun.

1947, Salvatore Ammendola drove an Alfa Romeo to victory in the first Dolomite Cup mountian race, in Italy.

1962, Wendall Scott captured the only pole of his NASCAR Grand National career, at Savannah, Georgia.

1964, Bernd Schneider, DTM touring and sports car racer was born in Germany.

1965, Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory drove a North American Racing Team (NART) Ferrari 250LM to victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

1970, Leroy Goldstein ran the first NHRA "6-second" pass in a Funny Car when he covered the 1/4-mile in 6.92 seconds on Long Island, New York.

1976, F1 driver and CART driver, Alex Yoong was born in Malaysia.

#775 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 13:45

<>

Mean he was dead on June 20th 1952 right ??? :

I wrote...
<<1952
Death of Italian Luigi FAGIOLI from his injuries after a big crash in a sports car race in Monte Carlo...>>

I know i don't speak very well english but i thought it was clear :drunk: Was just meaning it was his death date...

<>
Heuuu ...Supporting car race ??? What was the main event in Monte-Carlo that year ????
Cause as far as i know there has not been a Monaco GP that year... Marzotto won the sport car race with a ferrari 255 S...

Can you develop that ???

#776 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 01:21

June 20,
A hundred years ago Barney Oldfield broke 60 mph with the Henry Ford built 999 at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds dirt oval. With a time of fifty-nine and three-fifths seconds, Oldfield became the first to drive a gas-powered auto officially at the "incredible" speed of a mile a minute. From "Barney Oldfield" by William F. Nolan, which you should all purchase as soon as possible. Disclimer: I have a slight vested interest as publisher of said title. (Insert smiley face thing here.)
Mark Godfrey

#777 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:12

JUNE 21, 1959 - Terre Haute, Indiana...Driving the Bob Estes #4, Don Branson won the 30 lap USAC Midwest Circuit Sprint Car feature on the 1/2 mile dirt oval at the Vigo County Fairgrounds.

1987 - Edgemont, California...Tim Richmond drove a Rick Hendrick Chevrolet to victory in the 400 mile NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway. Ricky Rudd finished 2nd in the Bud Moore Ford and Neil Bonnett was 3rd in the RahMoc Pontiac.

JUNE 22, 1947 - Langhorne, Pennsylvania...After his bitter disappointment over pit signals in the Indianapolis 500, Bill Holland made it two straight in AAA Championship races, taking the 100 miler at Langhorne Speedway. Holland averaged 87.72 mph in his Offy powered Wetteroth on the 1 mile, nearly circular track.

1952 - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium...Alberto Ascari drove his Ferrari to victory in the F1 Belgian Grand Prix. Ascari and Giuseppe Farina made great starts with Jean Behra falling in behind. Behra surprised by passing both Ferraris to lead, only to spin his Gordini at La Source on lap 2 and hand the positions back. Ascari soon pulled out to a big lead over Farina, who in turn pulled well clear of Behra. Piero Taruffi, trying to make up for a poor start, finally reeled in and passed Behra for 3rd on lap 14, only to spin his Ferrari approaching Malmedy. Behra was too close to avoid and both cars wound up in a ditch, fortunately without serious injury to either driver. From there, Ascari cruised home 1 minute, 55 seconds ahead of Farina with Robert Manzon coming home 3rd in a Gordini.

1957 - West Sacramento, California...Oregon's Bill Amick drove his Ford to victory in the NASCAR Grand National/PCLM race on the 1/2 mile dirt Capitol Speedway. The checkered flag flew after 199 of the scheduled 200 laps due to a scoring foul up. It was Amick's first career win. Lloyd Dane finished 2nd, one lap back in his Ford with George Seeger 3rd, another lap back, in the Oscar Maples Ford.

Amick went on to become a NASCAR official, track operator/promoter and drove big bore Sports Cars. And, yes, his brother was Championship Car driver George Amick.

#778 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:24

June 21

1981 :up: :up:
Jarama... Spain... Jacques LAFFITE with his LIGIER/MATRA is on pole for his 100th Gp ahead of Alan JONES WILLIAMS/FORD... One of the greatest Gp... LAFFITE misses his start and is 11th on 1st lap... JONES is leading ahead of Gilles VILLENEUVE (FERRARI) who rushed like a bullet from 7th position on start, and who is followed by Carlos REUTEMANN (WILLIAMS/FORD).. Alan JONES with a 1'' gap spins and VILLENEUVE takes the lead still followed by Carlos REUTEMANN... But another Opponent is coming... Alain PROST (RENAULT) takes over Mario ANDRETTI (ALFA-ROMEO) and close back ... But he missed one brake and ended in the gravel trap... It's now REUTEMANN, Nelson PIQUET (BRABHAM/FORD), John WATSON (McLAREN/FORD) and LAFFITE who are pushing the canadian helped by an overpowered engine... It's a great come back for LAFFITE and after PIQUET's retirement, he takes over WATSON and REUTEMANN... He is stucked in VILLENEUVE gearbox and tries all the assaults he can... But with his Skill and pushing the FERRARI in the limits, Gilles VILLENEUVE wins (and runs out of gas) ahead of Jacques LAFFITE and John WATSON.. Those 3 are in the same second !!! And only 1 second behind... REUTEMANN keeps his 4th place in front of Elio De ANGELIS (LOTUS/FORD)... What a Finish !!!

1970 :cry:
Zandwoort... Holland... Jochen RINDT (LOTUS/FORD) is on pole ahead of Jackie STEWART (MARCH/FORD) and Jacky ICKX (FERRARI)... STEWART misses his start and ICKX turns on lead ahead of RINDT and Jackie OLIVER (BRM)... On lap 3 RINDT takes the lead back and drops ICKX... While STEWART takes over ICKX, the other FERRARI driven by the Young Clay REGAZZONI gives a festival and takes over Jean Pierre BELTOISE (MATRA), Piers COURAGE (DeTOMASO/FORD) and John MILES (LOTUS/FORD)... But on lap 22, the DeTOMASO slides of the track, violently crashes, rolls over and gets on fire... Piers COURAGE is killed... It's only when he crossed the finish line and won for his 10th podium that Jochen RINDT discovered that his friend Piers COURAGE was dead... Jackie STEWAR finished 2nd and Jacky ICKX 3rd for his 10th podium

English Piers COURAGE lined up in 29 Gp between 69 and 70 and finished 2nd in Monaco and USA 69 with a BRABHAM/FORD (8th at WC)... After good results in F3 in 64-66, he started F1 in South Africa with a LOTUS/BRM... He also raced in Endurance and won Buenos Aires 1000Km with Andrea De ADAMICH (ALFA-ROMEO)... To honour his name, a team still brings high his name in Le Mans 24h... Team COURAGE is still a serious opponent at Le Mans...

Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... On the front rwo, Alberto ASCARI's FERRARI stays between the MASERATI (1st pole) of Juan Manuel FANGIO and of Jose Froilan GONZALEZ... It seems that FERRARI will not win and already after 10 laps, GONZALEZ signed the fastest lap and setted a 20'' gap with FANGIO and 50'' with ASCARI.. But accelerator broke.... FANGIO is in lead, ASCARI is 34'' behind... But the engine of the MASERATI breaks... He stops and take Johnny CLAES's wheel... ASCARI is in lead followed by Nino FARINA (FERRARI), Mike HAWTHORN (FERRARI) and Onofre MARIMON (MASERATI)... FARINA's engine blows up and HAWTHORN has to stop twice for refuelling (Tank is broken)... FANGIO after a huge come back is back in 2nd place after having passed MARIMON and Luigi VILLORESI (FERRARI)... But in the last lap, FANGIO spins, goes off the track, car rolls over at Stavelot... Everybody thought FANGIO was killed.. Fortunately he got only a light commotion... Alberto ASCARI took a secured win, Luigi VILLORESI finshing 2nd and Onofre MARIMON 3rd for his 1st podium

Birth of Canadian John CANNON who finished 14th at USA gp in 1971 with a BRM for his unique Gp... He won Laguna Seca Can Am race in 68 lapping everybody on a wet track... In 69 he entered F. Atlantic finishing 4th and winning the championship in 70... 1971 saw him in F2 and in 72 he entered F5000.

June 22

Detroit... USA... Ayrton SENNA (LOTUS/RENAULT) is on pole ahead of Nigel MANSELL (WILLIAMS/HONDA) for his 10th front row... After the quals, the WILLIAMS/HONDA of Nigel MANSELL and Nelson PIQUET seems to be the only serious opponents of Ayrton SENNA... SENNA took a quiet start and left MANSELL the lead during 5 laps... But on lap 12, here come the LIGIER/RENAULT of René ARNOUX and Jacques LAFFITE coming back over SENNA... 24h after France won against Brazil in the Football world cup, maybe the history will keep the same result in that F1 battle as SENNA enters 1st for tyres change... ARNOUX and LAFFITE stucked together are leading, followed by MANSELL who starts to have brake problems, Alain PROST (McLAREN/TAG) and the FERRARI of Stefan JOHANSSON and Michele ALBORETO... LAFFITE managed to take over ARNOUX and leads now, both digging the gap over MANSELL, PROST, PIQUET and SENNA who just dropped both FERRARIS... LAFFITE will stay 13 laps on lead before following ARNOUX for a tyre change... PIQUET takes the lead and signs the fastest lap... But only for 9 laps.. Tyre change too... And SENNA is back in lead with comfortable gap which gives him the oppotunity to secure a second tyre change... Meanwhile, PIQUET hits a wall and tear off a wheel... ARNOUX was 1 second faster than SENNA...11 Seconds gap... Over 15 laps to go... Was the fott ball result a prediction ???... No... A revange... ARNOUX hist PIQUET's car which was still on the track... Ayrton SENNA took the win ahead of Jacques LAFFITE who managed to take the 2nd place from Alain PROST in the last miles...

1979 :cry:
Louis Chiron From Monaco left us... He lined up in 19 Gp between 1950 and 1958 (3rd in Monaco 1950 with MASERATI)... He is the oldest drivar who raced a Gp (55years 9 month and 19 days)... In 1928 he won Roma, Marne Italy and Spain with BUGATTI, 1929 won Germany and Spain with BUGATTI and was 7th in Indianapolis 500 with a DELAGE...1930 win in Lyon and European Gp still with BUGATTI...1931, win in Monaco and French Gp shared with Achille VARZI again with BUGATTI...He alson won the Franch Gp in 37,47 and 49... Retired from racing he took a huge part in the organization of Monaca Gp during many years... A legend of racing is gone...

1975 :up: :up:
Zandwoort... Holland... Both FERRARI are on the front row with Niki LAUDA (50th Gp) and Clay REGAZZONI... A Gp Starting under the rain... But a short rain... James HUNT (HESKETH/FORD) and Jochen MASS(McLAREN/FORD) stops at lap 7 very early to set on the slicks on a still wet track... But it dries fast... Good choice... HUNT is 19th but tyres are already efficients.... HUNT is already 9th when the leaders LAUDA and REGAZZONI stops for tyres change on lap 13 and 14... 10 Minutes after, everybody has changed the tyres but classification now is HUNT 10 away from Jean Pierre JARIER (SHADOW/FORD), Niki LAUDA, Emerson FITTIPALDI (McLAREN/FORD), Jody SCHECKTER (TYRRELL/FORD), Clay REGAZZONI, Tom PRYCE (SHADOW/FORD), Jochen MASS and Ronnie PETERSON (LOTUS/FORD)... Lap 37... LAUDA starts to attack JARIER... It took him 6 laps for taking over JARIER... Unfortunately, JARIER will retire 2 laps later after a backward run started at 200 Mph due to a deflated tyre... LAUDA came back over HUNT, signing the fastest lap but he couldn't do anything... After resisting 31 laps, James HUNT and Lord HESKETH ('The Boss') celebrated together their 1st win ahead of Niki LAUDA saying sportively 'Today, Hunt was too fast for me !'... Podium was completed by Clay REGAZZONI.. But FERRARI defeat didn't help FERRARI manager Luca Di MONTEZEMOLO to forget his broken leg after Ronnie PETERSON hitted him in the pits with his LOTUS...

1952 (too lazy to cut it Jim :) )
Spa Francorchamps... Belgium... MASERATI is not present... Alberto ASCARI (FERRARI) is in good shape and after having missed th Swiss Gp and his defeat in Indianapolis 500, he takes the pole ahead of his teammates Nino FARINA and Piero TARUFFI... Under rain and cold, Jean BEHRA took the lead with His GORDINI... But after the 1st lap, a big slide opened the way to ASCARI and FARINA... BEHRA managed to get back on track just in front of the Young Mike HAWTHORN (COOPER/BRISTOL), Robert MANZON (GORDINI) and TARUFFI... Alberto ASCARI digs the gap with FARINA and signs his 1st fastest lap and in lap 14, TARUFFI takes over BEHRA... Trying to drop the french driver, TARUFFI looses control, BEHRA couldn't avoid the collision and both cars impressivly rolled over at high speed, drivers being ejected... With luck, none was severly injured...Alberto ASCARI took the win in front of Nino FARINA while Robert MANZON secured the 3rd place for his 1st podium

Birth of American George FONDER who raced 2 Indianapolis Gp in 1952 (15th with SHERMAN/OFFENHAUSER) and 1954...Died in 1958

Birth of British Robert 'Robin' MONTGOMERIE-CHARRINGTON who retired with the ASTON/BUTTERWORTH for his unique Gp (Belgium 1952)

#779 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:30

Oooops June 21 1992

Le Mans 24 h...The Peugeot 905B drive by Derek Warwick, Yannick Dalmas and Mark Blundell take the win :up:

Advertisement

#780 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 14:57

June 23rd

Detroit.. USA.. For his 100th Gp, Nelson PIQUET is 10th on Grid with his BRABHAM/BMW, 3'' away from poleman Ayrton SENNA (LOTUS/RENAULT) who also built a 1'' gap with the second Nigel MANSELL (WILLIAMS/HONDA)... Ayrton SENNA will sign the fastest lap before his accident leaving the win to Keke ROSBERG (WILLIAMS/HONDA) finishing 1minute ahead of the FERRARI from Stefan JOHANSSON and Michele ALBORETO... PIQUET finishing 7th with 1 lap gap, MANSELL finishing in a wall...

Death of American Paul RUSSO who raced 8 Indianapolis Gp between 1950 end 1959 (2nd in 1955 with a KURTIS-KRAFT/OFFENHAUSER)

Zandwoort... Holland... Emerson FITTIPALDI (McLAREN/FORD) for his 50th Gp has to leave the front row to the FERRARI of Niki LAUDA and Clay REGAZZONI... Untouchables, FERRARI takes the win in that same order still ahead of FITTIPALDI... Ronnie PETERSON offering LOTUS Ford Powered their 50th fastest lap...

1968 :up: :clap: :up:
Zandwoort .. Holland... Under big rainy clouds, Chris AMON (FERRARI) is on pole ahead Jochen RINDT (BRABHAM/REPCO) and Graham HILL (LOTUS/FORD)... And after good results in the previous races, the MATRA/FORD of Jackie STEWART is 5th while Jean Pierre BELTOISE's MATRA/MATRA is only 16th... Rain started a short moment before race... Luck for MATRA, DUNLOP tyres are great on the wet tracks...Graham HILL took the lead followed by RINDT but already on lap 3 STEWART takes the lead... BELTOISE is already 11th on lap 1....5th on lap 3... 3rd behind Graham HILL on lap 4.... Lap 11.. He takes over the LOTUS and is coming back over STEWART... He is 17'' behind... Lap 23... Ony 12'' behind STEWART and HILL is already 1 minute behind... At that moment BELTOISE lost the race... Spin.. Gravel trap... Back in pits to clean of the sand from the accelerator command... He is back on track in 7th position behind STEWART who just lapped him.... But it's a demonstration for BELTOISE now... In 10 laps he takes successively over Dan GURNEY (BRABHAM/REPCO), Jacky ICKX (FERRARI), Chris AMON and Pedro RODRIGUEZ (BRM)... Grahma HILL still 2nd is only 20'' ahead... 1'' to 2'' faster, BELTOISE signs the fastest lap and takes over HILL on lap 50.... And takes over STEWART 7 lap later... He is back in the same lap... But his arm starts to hurt again and on lap 72, STEWART managed to lap him again while HILL was getting down in the classification... In the last lap BELTOISE managed to get back in the same lap than the leader and Jackie STEWART offered MATRA their 1st win... Jean Pierre BELTOISE was 2nd for his 1st podium... Pedro RODRIGUEZ 3rd was the only driver to finish with 'only' 1 lap gap... In DUNLOP's van, a bottle of champagne waited 2 years to be opened... It was drunk that day...

Zandwoort... Holland... Jim CLARK (LOTUS/CLIMAX) is on pole in front of Graham HILL (BRM) abd Bruce McLAREN (COOPER/CLIMAX).. An easy race for Jim CLARK dominating everybody and signing the fastest lap... After the retirements of McLAREN, Jack BRABHAM (BRABHAM/CLIMAX) and Graham HILL, Jim CLARK signed the 10th win for LOTUS.. Followed at 1 lap away by Dan GURNEY (BRABHAM/CLIMAX) and John SURTEES (FERRARI)...

Birth of American Herbert McKAY-FRASER who retired during his unique Gp (France 1957 with a BRM).. Killed in 1957 during a sports car race in Reims..

Birth of British William Roberts Leslie THORNE who finished 14th for his unique Gp (Great Britain 1954 with a CONNAUGHT/FRANCIS)... Died in 1993

#781 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 15:08

June 23,

1916, Ralph DePalma set a flying mile world record of 35.2 seconds in a Mercedes at Des Moines Speedway in Iowa.

1930, Indycar driver, Bob Harkey was born.

1963, Zandvoort… Jim Clark cleaned house in his Lotus. Sat on Pole, set fastest lap and whooped the field by one at least a lap! Dan Gurney had a splendid drive though in his Brabham coming from 14th to finish 2nd one lap down. Surtees was third in the Ferrari after starting 5th, Innes Ireland in his BRM was fourth coming from 7th, teammate Ginther followed in 5th after starting 6th, and Scarfotti was 6th 2 laps down in his Ferrari.

1968, Zandvoort, Chris Amon displayed his quickness as he took his Ferrari to the Pole position. Though in the race he ended up finishing 6th, five laps down from the eventual winner Jackie Stewart in the new Matra. Stewart started 5th. His teammate had a fantastic drive as well. J-P Beltoise took his Matra MS11 from 16th on the grid and set fastest lap of the race to finish 1:33 behind Stewart, the only driver to finish on the lead lap. This was the first GP win for the Matra MS10-Ford. Pedro Rodriguez in the BRM was third after starting 11th, Jacky Ickx was 4th in his Ferrari, he started 6th and Silvio Moser was 5th after starting 17th.

1974, Zandvoort again, The Ferraris were the class of the field this time as Niki Lauda took his to Pole with teammate Clay Regazzoni along side. Fittipaldi in the McLaren was third on the grid, his teammate Mike Hailwood next to him and the Tyrrell of Jody Scheckter 5th on the grid and his teammate, Patrick Depailler was 8th at the start. At the finish, they all came in as they started, except for Depailler who followed Schecter in for sixth! Ronnie Peterson set the fastest lap of the race in his Lotus but was 2 laps down in 8th at the end.

1985, At the USGP Detroit, It was Ayrton Senna in the Lotus on pole with Nigel Mansell in the Williams next to him. Both would retire however, Senna also set fastest lap but was out due to a crash on lap 51 and Mansell out on lap 26 for (???) At the end, it was Mansell’s teammate, Keke Rosberg who started 5th in his Williams coming across the line in a time of 1:55:39. Stefan Johansson was 2nd in the Ferrari after starting 9th. His teammate Michele Alboreto was third , right where he started. Stefan Bellof in the Tyrrell was 4th having a great drive from 19th. Elio de Angelis was 5th after starting 8th and Nelson Piquet picked up the last point in 6th, 1 lap down from the winner.

1991, Mario Andretti started his 350th Indy car race, at Portland International Raceway, Portland, Oregon.

1992, NASCAR stockcars run for the first time at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in testing for the Brickyard 400.

1996, Alex Zanardi won his first CART race, at Portland International Raceway, Portland, Oregon.

2002, at the GP of Europe held at the Nurburgring, Polesitter Juan Pablo Montoya couldn’t make it last as he crashed out on lap 27 with David Coulthard. Both retired. 4th place qualifier, Rubens Barrichello got to take the honors ahead of his teammate Michael Schumacher. Schumacher, who set fastest lap, gave RB the win. Kimi Raikkonen in his McLaren finished 3rd after starting 6th. Ralf Schumacher in the other Williams was fourth after starting next to JPM and Jenson Button had a good drive from 8th to finish 5th. One lap down from the winner, Felipe Massa grabbed the last point for 6th after starting 11th.

#782 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:22

June 24th

1990 :clap: :up:
Hermanos Rodriguez Track... Mexico... For his 100th Gp, Ayrton SENNA (McLAREN/HONDA) leave the front row to his team mate Gerhard BERGER and to Riccardo PATRESE (WILLIAMS/RENAULT)... Alain PROST (FERRARI) 13th on grid drives of of his greatest race.. Lap 12 he is already 6th... But the track is hard for the tyres... Half way, BERGER stops leaving the led to SENNA who has 16'' gap over Nelson PIQUET (BENETTON/FORD) and Nigel MANSELL (FERRARI).. PROST is 23'' away... PIQUET stops too... SENNA has a gap of 17'' over MANSELL and 22'' over PROST... 10 laps later gap is reduced a lot... SENNA is only 11' from MANSELL and PROST who came back like a rocket... As they were lapping another driver, PROST takes over MANSELL...Lap 55... PROST is only 9'' behind SENNA... With tyres in a better shape, PROST is flying back over SENNA, signing the fastest lap and takes over the brazilian 2 laps later...MANSELL also took over SENNA with dying tyres and tried to come back over PROST but a spin made him loose 18'' and putting him under BERGER's pressure who did a great come back in 3rd... Battle was huge... Late braking... wheels bumped ... FERRARI slides and BERGER is now second...But MANSELL replied... Entering the fastest curve MANSELL takes over BERGER on the outside at about 140mph... Incredible...Alain PROST took the win ahead of Nigel MANSELL and Gerhard BERGER...

1984 :up:
Detroit...USA... Nelson PIQUET (BRABHAM/BMW) is on pole ahead of Alain PROST (McLAREN/TAG)... A hard track for the cars and the drivers.. With a lot of retirements, only 6 cars will end the race... Winner is Nelson PIQUET with the fastes lap (25th podium) ahead of Martin BRINDLE (TYRRELL/FORD) but who will be disqualified... Elio De ANGELIS (LOTUS/RENAULT) is then 2nd in front of Teo FABI (BRABHAM/BMW) signing there his 1st podium and who started only 23rd on grid...

Birth of British Thomas 'Tom' BRIDGER who retired for his only Gp (Morocco 1958 with a COOPER/CLIMAX)... Tom BRIDGER was an excellent F2-F3 drivers between 1956 and 1959... Died in 1991

1911 :wave:
Birth in Argentina of Juan Manuel FANGIO... In 51 Gp from 1950 til 1958, he signed 24 wins, 35 podiums, 29 poles, 48 front rows and 23 fastest laps... Uncontested champion with 5 WC titles (1951,1954,1955,1956 and 1957).. he nearly died of pleurisy in 1927... He started racing in 1936 under the name of RIVADAVA to hide his activity from his parents... Helped by his hometown population, he became Argentina Champion... The meeting with Achille VARZI and Luigi VILLORESI was decisive and in 1949 he went in Europe where the successes came immediatly... His acting and his talent forced everybody to respect and admiration... The history of racing is indelebilitly marked by the Maestro... He retired from racing in 1958 and went into business... Still near of the F1, his shadow and his personnality hanged around the paddocks until 1995..

#783 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:02

Birth in Argentina of Juan Manuel FANGIO... In 51 Gp from 1950 til 1958, he signed 24 wins, 35 podiums, 29 poles, 48 front rows and 23 fastest laps... Uncontested champion with 5 WC titles (1951,1954,1955,1956 and 1957)... The history of racing is indelebilitly marked by the Maestro...

:clap: :up: :cool:

#784 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:17

1911.....Birth in Argentina of Juan Manuel FANGIO... In 51 Gp from 1950 til 1958, he signed 24 wins, 35 podiums, 29 poles, 48 front rows and 23 fastest laps... Uncontested champion with 5 WC titles (1951,1954,1955,1956 and 1957).. he nearly died of pleurisy in 1927... He started racing in 1936 under the name of RIVADAVA to hide his activity from his parents... Helped by his hometown population, he became Argentina Champion... The meeting with Achille VARZI and Luigi VILLORESI was decisive and in 1949 he went in Europe where the successes came immediatly... His acting and his talent forced everybody to respect and admiration... The history of racing is indelebilitly marked by the Maestro... He retired from racing in 1958 and went into business... Still near of the F1, his shadow and his personnality hanged around the paddocks until 1995..

Do you think we could have details of his three non-front row positions, please?

An intriguing statistic...

#785 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:45

For sure... Great Britain 1957 and France 1953....

I think the 3rd was Germany 1951...

If anyone can confirm...Or correct me .... :wave:

(Note At that time you could have 3 - 4 or 5 cars on the front row....)

#786 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 13:59

Also born on this day (Jun 24) are Formula 2/3000/Nippon drivers Dilantha Malagamuwa (1963, Ceylon's greatest, also a succesful motorcycle racer), Takao Wada (1953) and Vittorio Zoboli (1968), as well as F3 driver Horst Farnbacher (1961). F3 driver Csaba Kesjar died on Jun 24, 1988, at the Norisring F3 race. :cry:

#787 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 22:03

Some other tidbits found for recent days in motorsports history….

June 22,

1970, Filming of staged racing sequences for the movie "Le Mans" began.

June 23,

1991, Volker Wiedler, Johnny Herbert, and Bertrand Gachot drive a Mazda 787B to victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This was the first Le Mans win for a Japanese auto manufacturer and for a Wankel engine.

…and for today, June 24 ,

1951, The Peter Walker entered Jaguar 120C driven by Walker and Peter Whitehead won that year’s Le Mans 24 hour race. Pierre Meyrat, and Guy Mairesse finished second in a Talbot Lago T26GS while the Aston Martin DB2 of Lance Macklin and Eric Thompson came in third. This was Jaguar's first victory at Le Mans.

1956, George Amick won the USAC Championship race at Langhorne, Pennsylvania. This was the first win for an Andy Dunlap prepared car.

1960, NASCAR driver, Jim Bown was born.

1961, NASCAR driver, Hut Stricklin was born.

1962, Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien drove a Ferrari 330 TR/LM to victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Second overall and first in the GT class was the Ferrari 250 GTO of Jean Guichet and Pierre Noblet.

Non-Racing Related:

1956, The last 1956 Packard automobile was produced, marking the end of production at Packard’s Connor Avenue plant in Detroit, Michigan. Packard would continue to manufacture cars in South Bend, Indiana until 1958, but for those familiar with Packard, the last 1956 model is considered the last true Packard car.

In 1902, a group of Detroit investors led by Henry Joy purchased Packard from its founder James Ward Packard and moved the company to Detroit. The following year Joy hired industrial designer Albert Kahn, the pioneer of reinforced concrete, to build a new production facility for the Packard Motor Company.

The first Packard cars--including “Old Pacific,” the first car to travel across the United States--were affordable, durable single-cylinder vehicles. But Packard quickly moved up the pricing ladder, offering four-cylinder engines. By the 1916 release of the revolutionary V-12 Twin Six,

Packard had established itself as the country’s leading luxury car manufacturer, renowned for its hand-finished attention to detail. The release of the Twin Six allowed Packard to quadruple output over a period of one year, and Packard quickly became the largest truck supplier to the Allied Forces during World War I. The 1920s were the company’s hey-day. Huge, sleek Packards were a perfect fit for the decadent U.S. market. Conversely, the Depression heavily damaged Packard’s part of the market. By the middle thirties Packard sales had dropped dramatically, leading Packard

President Alvan Macauley to make the drastic decision to develop and produce a lower-priced car. Although the move would initially bolster Packard’s sales considerably, historians argue that producing lower quality cars heavily damaged the most valuable brand reputation in the automobile industry. World War II saw Packard convert to war production earlier than most companies. Packard’s Twin Six was adapted into the Liberty Aircraft engine, by far the most important single output of America’s war time “arsenal for democracy.” Though Packard was only the third largest producer of the engine, the Liberty enhanced Packard’s reputation considerably.

After the war, Packard had a difficult time converting back to passenger car production. The post-war “seller’s market” kept Packard alive, but it soon became clear that the independent car companies without specialization were doomed by their relatively high production costs relative to the so-called “Big Three” of auto production (Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler). Had Packard remained strictly a luxury car company, it may have been able to catch hold of a post-war niche, but instead, by 1954, Packard’s output had fallen to a dismal low. General Motors and Ford were engaged in a brief price war that took its toll on the independents.

Packard merged with the much larger Studebaker Corporation with the hope of cutting its production costs. Together, Packard-Studebaker was the fourth largest manufacturer of cars. The merger failed to help the fate of either company, however, and in 1956 Packard-Studebaker President James Nance suspended Packard’s manufacturing operations in Detroit.

#788 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:35

June 25th

1964 :up:
Birth of British John 'Johnny' HERBERT who has lined up now in 162 Gp since 1989... 3 Wins (Great Britain and Italy 1995 with a BENETTON/RENAULT and Europe 1999 with the STEWART/FORD), 7 podiums, he has been 4th at WC in 1995...Supported by Paul NEWMAN and Mike THOMPSON, Eddie JORDAN lent him in 1987 and he won the British F3 championship... The day he signed for a F1 drive and when he was about to win the F3000 championship, a bad accident in Brands Hatch seemed to stop his racing carreer.... With tenacity, Johnny came back on top and finished 4th for his 1st F1 race in Brazil with the BENETTON/FORD... Experienced driver, he races today in SportsCars

Birth of French Patrick TAMBAY who lined up in 123 Gp between 1977 and 1986... 2 Wins (Germany 1982 and San Marino 1983 with FERRARI), 11 podiums, 5 poles, 9 Front rows and 2 fastest laps, he ended 4th in 1983 WC... Between 73 and 76 he raced with good results in F.Renault and F2... He also was CanAm Champion in 77 and 80 with LOLA... He still races today in Ice-Races and manages a lot of promotions missions in Racing world when his political missions leaves him time... Consultant for Tv Channels, he tries actually to build a Tv Magazine about Mechanical races.... Happy birthday Patrick and best wishes from a neighbour :wave: ...

Birth of British Tim PARNELL (Son of Reg PARNELL) who lined up in 4 Gp between 1959 and 1963 (10th in Italy 1961 with a LOTUS/CLIMAX)... Tim PARNELL managed BRM Team in the early 70's...

#789 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 13:29

June 25,

1939 Spa-Francochamps, "Belgium had not seen rain for 40 days but on race day as the cars lined up for the start the rain was pouring down. As the grid was in a downhill there was a risk for false starts. The Mercedes team solved the problem by putting pieces of chalk in front of the wheels. No such thing had been done to Farina's Alfa and it started to roll down towards Eau Rouche long before the flag was dropped. Then the German cars led by Müller caught the Alfa and passed on the fast parts of the track and after the first lap the order was Müller, Lang, Nuvolari, Caracciola, Farina, Seaman, Hasse, von Brauchitsch, Sommer and Meier. While the German drivers were fighting to find a way past Farina, who was holding up the midfield, Müller in the front was holding up Lang. The Auto Union driver was running in the middle of the road and blocking any attempts to pass, seemingly unaware of the Mercedes driver's fist shakings. Neubauer's protests to the organizers only resulted in that the marshalls started to show blue flags to Lang instead of Müller!

On lap 3 Seaman managed to pass Farina and started the pull in the gap to the leaders. Lang finally got enough and waved both Caracciola and Seaman by so that the two rain specialists could have a try on Müller. Caracciola was also blocked and got so frustrated by the Auto Union that he on lap 9 made a mistake and spun in the La Source hairpin. The Mercedes stalled in the grass and Caracciola was out of the race. On lap 11 Müller had problems and went into the pits leaving over the lead to Seaman, who immediately started to make some really fast laps, opening up a gap to Lang and Nuvolari.

On the 14th lap Meier in sixth place was forced into a ditch as he was trying to lap Mandirola's Maserati at Blanchemont. The rain had stopped for some time but the track was still slippery. Both of the top Mercedes cars went in for fuel and tyres on lap 17. Seaman lost a few seconds with a jamming wheel nut and Lang came back to the track in front of his teammate.

On the next lap Seaman was back in the lead and continued to pull away at a incredible rate. After 21 laps Seaman led by half a minute over Lang, followed by Nuvolari, Hasse and von Brauchitsch. Coming to Club Corner just before the La Source hairpin Seaman came in too fast, missed the entry point and left the track sideways. The Mercedes car hit a tree and then wrapped itself around another tree with a broken fuel line. 250 litres of fuel rushed into the cockpit and over the exhaust and in the next moment the car was an inferno. Seaman's right hand was broken and the driver was trapped behind the steering wheel. After a minute of futile rescuing efforts a Belgian soldier walked right into the fire and released the driver.

Lang made an extra stop to tell the team what had happened and asked if he could retire. Unaware of the seriousness of the crash, Neubauer asked Lang to go on. On lap 28, Nuvolari made a mistake and spun off and the order was now Lang, Hasse and von Brauchitsch. A carburettor error made Lang's car heavy on fuel consumption and with just one lap to go Lang went out of fuel before La Source. He managed to roll down into the pits but the fuel lines were empty too and the car refused to restart. Lang 's car rolled down the hill to Eau Rouche and finally just as he reached the uphill and was passed by Hasse the engine started. Lang went away at full speed to retake the lead and opened up a 17 seconds gap on just one lap to take a joyless victory.

After the race the drivers went to the hospital where Seaman had recovered consciousness for a short time. He had however suffered burns on 60 percent of the body and Britain's greatest pre-war driver died before midnight..."

#790 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 22:22

Originally posted by rdrcr
.....The following year Joy hired industrial designer Albert Kahn, the pioneer of reinforced concrete, to build a new production facility for the Packard Motor Company.....

This one caught my eye, Richard, and I did a bit of a google search...

I see he also contributed to other automotive plants such as Fiat, but I'd challenge the statement that he was 'the pioneer' in the use of reinforced concrete.

I worked once in a building that was constructed in 1865, and it used reinforced concrete... Kahn wasn't born until 1869. It is possible, however, that he did pioneer some particular forms of reinforced concrete in construction, perhaps prestressed beams?

Love those Packards...

#791 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 15:21

June 26th

1992 death of Peter Hirt, Swiss Driver who entered 5 Gp between 1951 and 1953 (Best finish was 7th at Bremgarten 1952 with a ESPADON/FERRARI
Different sources gives either 26th - 28th

1955 :clap: :wave: :up: :love:
Birth of French Philippe STREIFF who lined up in 54 Gp between 1984 and 1988... 1 Podium (3rd in Australia 1985 with a LIGIER/RENAULT), he raced in F3 and F2 between 1980 and 1984... He also raced in F3000 in 1985... During free trials for the Brazilian Gp in 1989, the Suspension of His AGS broke at very high speed... Broken neck and with a lack of medical organization, he was operated only 10 hours later...Philippe STREIFF today is now paralysed in a medic chair... This french young promising driver still haunts the F1 paddocks and forces his old mate's admiration with his willings... He is the Bercy's Karting Masters and french indoor Karting instigator ...He takes care of caritative association for handi sports... Hats Off... Our best wishes Philippe...

The 1st car powered by a Turbin reaches 152Mph..It's a Rover and a World record...
http://www.rover.org...es/jet/jet5.htm

Birth of Italian Carlo FACETTI who didn't qualify for his unique Gp (Italy 1974 with BRABHAM/FORD)...

Birth of British Rodney NUCKEY who finished 11th for his only Gp (Germany 1953 with a COOPER/BRISTOL)... F3 driver in 53, he had good results in non championship races and other series... Didn't start Great Britain GP in 54 leaving the wheel to another

1906 :clap:
First Race Meeting at Le Mans... Winner Francois Szizs (RENAULT)...
http://www.katylon.c...zisz/1stgp2.htm

#792 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:44

June 26,

1906, To expand a bit on Fevbr’s menion of the first race at Le Mans. It was the first French Grand Prix and the first race of its kind to be held anywhere. It was staged by the Automobile Club of France. And as mentioned, Hungarian driver, Ferenc Szisz took first place in a ninety horsepower, thirteen-liter Renault. While the Renault’s drive shaft was less advanced than others in the race, the car boasted the important innovation of removable tire-carrying rims. Tire changes with removable rims took around four minutes to change, as opposed to fifteen minutes required to change fixed rim tires. Szisz stopped his car nine times to replace tire punctures, but he was still able to finish thirty-two minutes ahead of second place driver Nazzaro’s Fiat. The French Grand Prix was run over a 64 mile course with 12 laps being completed by the winner. When Szisz crossed the finish line the following day, he had covered 769 miles /1200km at an average speed of 62.88 mph, and was run under a new set of rules that would become a standard element of Grand Prix racing.

The Automobile Club of France stipulated that all cars were to weigh no more than 2,204 pounds; three cars could be entered by each manufacturer; and each car could be operated by a two-man crew. The rules regarding the weight of the cars encouraged the entry of lightweight cars with absurdly large engines.

The Panhard entry, for example, had a four-cylinder engine with a displacement of 18,279cc and pistons the diameter of pie plates. While the leading cars were all hitting speeds close to 100 miles per hour, their nose-heavy weight distribution, lightweight chassis, and primitive tires made them nearly impossible to handle. By 1908 the Automobile Club of France had finally worked out a sensible set of rules to govern the car entries.

1921, Jimmy Murphy won the ACF Grand Prix at Le Mans in a Duesenberg. Ralph de Palma's second place makes it an American 1-2 finish. This was the first win for an American driver and first win for an American car in a European grand prix.

1939, Motorsports performance parts manufacture and racetrack operator, Dick Moroso was born.

1947, West Surrey Racing team manager, Dick Bennett was born.

1949, Chinetti and Selsdon drove a Ferrari 166MM Barchetta to victory at Le Mans. This was Ferrari's first Le Mans victory.

1954, Marco Lucchinelli, 1981 500cc Motorcycle Grand Prix World Champion, was born in Caparana, Italy.

1986, Bobby Rahal won the Labatt's Manitoba Challenge Formula Atlantic race, (at Mosport I presume).

1994, Nigel Mansell took a "break" from driving CART Indy cars to race in the French Grand Prix on July 3rd. He DNF’d.

#793 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 07:07

:wave:

1947, West Surrey Racing team manager, Dick Bennett was born.--------

That a name i have not heard in many years ? What the latest news on DICKEY BOY. :up:

Thanks in advance DOUG

#794 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:04

June 26,

[1986, Bobby Rahal won the Labatt's Manitoba Challenge Formula Atlantic race, (at Mosport I presume).

That must be 1976, and being the 'Manitoba Challenge' it must have been Gimli (Manitoba, so it can't be Mosport).

In addition to the continuing good work by Richard, fines and fvebr, I also wanted to thank Mark Godfrey and DOHC for their contributions :up:

(Sigh) I thought I would have more time about now, but my project majuer has thrown one defiant last gasp my way (more like an upraised digit).

If the Ramones can do a song "The Job That Ate My Brain", then I can have "The Racing History Project That Ate My Life" :D

I have a few additional entries from this week, which I've been trying to find time around TRHPTAML to post, but so far...

I hope no one minds if I can finally throw them out tomorrow.

Jim Thurman

#795 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:39

June 27th

1999 :up:
Magny Cours... France... Nearly 2 hours of a great show which started before the rain with the 1st pole of a STEWART/FORD drove by Rubens BARRICHELLO ahead of Jean ALESI (SAUBER/PETRONAS) signing his 10th front row... Favourites were far on grid as the rain appered quite soon during the qualifications... The race started before the rain with BARRICHELLO in lead for 6 laps before David COULTHARD (McLAREN/MERCEDES) starting 4th took over and digged a huge gap signing the fastest lap... (Over 7'' in 3 laps)... But an electric problem stopped the car... Meanwhile, Mika HAKKINEN (McLAREN/MERCEDES) who started 14th was coming back like a rocket in 3rd right behind ALESI... Lap 21... A storm of rain falls down.. Good tactician, Eddie JORDAN sent back Heinz Harald FRENTZEN with the maximum of gas... But the safety car came a bit too late for ALESI... A spin took off his chances... lap 36, Safety car free the drivers... HAKKINEN is attacking BARRICHELLO but a spin costed him 5 positions... FRENTZEN is 2nd but Michael SCHUMACHER managed to take over and finally take the lead despite BARRICHELLO's skill who is now followed by FRENTZEN, Olivier PANIS (PROST/PEUGEOT), Ralf SCHUMACHER (WILLIAMS/SUPERTEC) and Eddie IRVINE (FERRARI)... With electrical problems, SCHUMACHER enters again the pits and is back in 6th.. HAKKINEN is back in 3rd place but like BARRICHELLO he has to re-fuel... IRVINE respecting the team orders stays behind Michael SCHUMACHER .. Both are passed by the little brother Rafl who misses for a tenth of second the podium... Results being Heinz Harald FRENTZEN, Mika HAKKINEN and Rubens BARRICHELLO..

Death of American Samuel 'Sam' HANKS who raced 8 Indianapolis Gp from 1950 until 1957... 4 Podiums including 1 win (1957 with EPPERLY/OFFENHAUSER)... He retired just after that win..

1965 :up:
Charade... France... Jim CLARK offers LOTUS their 25th pole on that 'Little Nurburgring' ahead of Jackie STEWART (BRM) and Lorenzo BANDINI (FERRARI)... CLARK made a pure perfect demonstration during the 2 hours and a half of racing through the 51 curves of that fantastic track.. STEWART was the only driver to follow him... Jim CLARK signed the fastest lap and took the win in front of Jachie STEWART (30'' behind).. John SURTEES (FERRARI) finishing 3rd...

Birth of British Christopher 'Chris' IRWIN who raced 10 Gp in 66-67..( 4th in French Gp with a BRM)... He started in single seater in 64 and had good results in Tasman series in 67... Won Nurburgring F2 race in 68... On that same track, a severe crash during practice for a sports car race made him retire from racing..

#796 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 13:16

Thanks for the correction Jim, and for checking in from time to time. We'll be looking forward to your additions when you're able. I suppose with TRHPTAYL, you didn't have a chance to go to the HSR event at Fontana... :

Fevbr, I assume that Charade, France is the town where the circuit Clermont-Ferrand is located? Or is it the other way round? And I echo Jim's appreciation for your continued assistance in this thread. Keep up the great work.

About all I can additionally offer for June 27, is,

1947, Clemente Biondetta drove his Alfa Romeo to victory in the first post-WWII Mille Miglia, at an average speed of 69.9 mph/112.2 kph. This win was his second of four consecutive Mille Miglia victories.

1963, NASCAR driver, Johnny Benson Jr. was born.

1976, Al Unser Sr. drove a Parnelli-Cosworth to victory in the Pocono 500. This was the first USAC championship victory for a Ford-Cosworth engine.

1998, Ronald "Skip" Hudson, US sportscar racer in the '50s and '60s, lost his fight with cancer.

BTW, Stefan Örnerdal's excellent Le Mans / Targa Florio Site has all the stats surrounding those races from March until late June.

#797 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 13:37

I assume that Charade, France is the town where the circuit Clermont-Ferrand is located? Or is it the other way round?

Charade... Is a mountain issued from a volcano (there are plenty of them in that part of france) and they are called 'PUY'

Charade track goes around the 'Puy de Charade'... A wonderful race track you can still drive 'nearly' around... Nearly... because of too many accidents, they put barriers in the middle of the straight.... But you can Go up there, turn back, and drive a full lap on the old track... Arriving back to the barriers... turn right and keep on the new part for a ride on the 'short' track... (map is on darren site)...

It's where i saw my 1st F1 Gp (1972) and where i began a fan... It's also where i did my first slides with my brother's car...(DON'T TELL HIM !!!) :) Even a kid with his plastic Kart can enjoy it downhill from the Golf down to gravenoire :rotfl:

If anybody use Gp3-Gp2 You have a great charade track as add-on... And you'll appreciate then how were the Men and which kind of skill they had to drive there...

#798 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 14:04

Ahhh... merci pour cela. J'ai noté qu'il est près de l'aéroport de Clermont-Ferrand. Pourrait-il également désigné sous le nom de ce nom ? Ou y a-t-il un autre circuit près de ce village ?

#799 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 14:50

CLERMONT-FERRAND is the city... East is the Airport located in the city of AULNAT...

Going WEST you cross the little peripheral towns of CHAMALIERES, ROYAT... And climbing the mountain you reach the curve of GRAVENOIRE wich is the lowest part of the track and also the mid distance from starting line...

Charade is nearly a 'lieu dit'... Smaller than a village... Just 4-5 constructions :)

About 20 Miles south of Clermont you have the City of ISSOIRE with a small Airport which has also been used for some racing...

Want the map ? ;)

Advertisement

#800 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 15:44

No thanks, I've checked it out and found its location. :cool:

BTW, the Circuits de Charade website has their locale at Puy-de-Dôme.... They have a fine map of the area that shows the circuits.