Photo

US & Canadian Formula Atlantic

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Piet Ram

Piet Ram

• 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 21:40

Is the Formula Atlantic serie in the USA and Canada started in 1974? As far as I know in 1978 was the last year in Canada. Am I right?
Does anyone have some information about both series? I’m searching for results of:
USA 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1978
Canada 1974, 1975 and 1978

Advertisement

#2 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 22:57

Formula Atlantic continues to this day as the Toyota Atlantic feeder series, to, and owned by, CART.

Tom Johnston, former Atlantic team owner
West Vancouver, BC, Canada

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 08:02

Piet,use the 'search BB' function.There are several threads on FA -I posted some data myself.See www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43821

#4 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 02:16

Piet,
Here's a transcript of the sports news from the 1979 Formula Atlantic at Westwood for your interest. Can you imagine a Formula Atlantic and Trans-Am both run at the same track over one weekend? What a double-header not seen very often these days!!!!!!!!

AT WESTWOOD
Kid and vet dominate
By Mike Beamish, The Vancouver Express, June 04, 1979

Fuzzy-cheeked Kevin Cogan and grizzled John Paul did four-wheeled imitations of Triple Crown winner Secretariat Sunday afternoon to win their respective races in the Formula Atlantic Trans-Am doubleheader at Westwood motor racing circuit in Coquitlam.
Though Cogan, a 23-year-old from Torrance, Calif., did not win Formula Atlantic by a literal country mile, he did the next best thing in this age of metrification - finishing at least a kilometer in front of second place finisher Howdy Holmes.
Paul, a Dutch-born 40-year-old from Lawrenceville, Ga., could possibly have won by a similar margin if repeated caution flags had not slowed the Trans-Am event.
Both races were 160-kilometre, 56-lap events over the 2.85 kilometre circuit.
A rising star in Formula Atlantic, the acknowledged stepping stone towards a career in the high profile Grand Prix circuit, Cogan finished 25 seconds ahead of Holmes in his wire-to-wire victory.
It took the Californian 60 minutes, 53.869 seconds to complete the distance along the route he established an unofficial track record of one minute, 2.31 seconds.
That time was later bettered by Holmes, the 29 year-old from Ann Arbor, Mich., and the biggest name in the 17-car Formula Atlantic field, following a seventh-place finish in his rookie start at the Indy 500 last week.
Holmes turned in a time of 1.02.21 on the 21st lap in his vain attempt to catch Cogan, while fighting his way from sixth place on the starting grid to second.
Starting position is a key factor on the narrow, twisting Westwood course, which provides few opportunities to pass and improve position.
Had his car not performed so temperamentally during qualifications Saturday, Holmes felt he would have had a good chance to make it a two-car race.
"By far, I had the fastest car in warm-ups today," said Holmes, "and I knew I'd be back in the hunt. But it's so hard to get past people on this track, especially when they make it tough on you."
Tom Gloy of Pacheco, Calif., the Formula Atlantic points leader heading into the race and the second fastest qualified, finished third, but only because misfortune befell Jeff Wood of Studio City, Calif., the No. 3 qualifier.
Wood, comfortably in third after losing a mid-race, second place duel with Holmes spun out on the 40th lap and did not finish.
The win was the first for Cogan this season on the 11-race Formula Atlantic series. He was second behind Gloy at Long Beach, Calif., and third behind Holmes at Mexico City in the previous two tour stops this season.
At Long Beach, the impatient - heavy footed Cogan also won the pole position, but spun out on the first lap and ended up in last place before fighting his way back to second.
"This win at Westwood doesn't make up for Long Beach," he admitted. "But it sure helps."
Cogan, who credits a radical suspension alignment with helping his Ralt perform up to its capabilities, won $10,000 and tied Gloy for the Formula Atlantic points lead. Holmes, driving a March, picked up $6,500.
Less than an hour after his seventh place finish Paul drove a Porsche 935 to a clear victory in the Trans-Am event buildng a margin over his only real pursuer - Ludwig Heimrath of Scarborough, Ont. - to 18 seconds at one point.
However, a caution flag on the 50th lap, after Frank Joyce flipped his Corvette but emerged unscathed, allowed Heimrath to pull close to Paul's bumper.
But once the race resumed, Paul effortlessly increased his margin again to win by nine seconds.

Transcribed by Michael Gee
CMHF West Coast Motor Sport Historian

#5 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:23

I think it was called "Formula B" up to 1973, and then "formula Atlantic" from 1974.

Below are the 1974-1979 American race winners

1974 — Canadian Challenge series (1st Bill Brack)
1. Westwood (CDN) (May 26) Alan Lader (own Chevron / Ford-Hart)
2. Edmonton (CDN) (Jun 2) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 16) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Smith)
4. Mosport (CDN) (Jun 30) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
5. Sanair (CDN) road (Jul 14) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
6. Newfoundland GP (CDN) St. Johns (Jul 28) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Smith)
7. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 18) Bill Brack (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Hart)
non championship — Elkhart Lake (USA) (Aug 24) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 1) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — Detroit (USA) Waterford Hills (Sep 22) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — Watkins Glen (USA) (Oct 6) Bill O’ Connor (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)

• SCCA American Road Race championship
Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ?) Ken Duclos (own Brabham / Ford-Hart)

• SCCA national races
Arkansas GP (USA) Stuttgart (Apr 21) David Loring (works Merlyn / Ford-Hart)
etc.

1975 — Canadian Challenge series (1st Bill Brack)
1. Edmonton (CDN) (May 25) Bertil Roos (Canada March / Ford-Hart)
2. Westwood (CDN) (Jun 1) Bertil Roos (Canada March / Ford-Hart)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 22) Gilles Villeneuve (private March / Ford)
4. Ste. Jovite (CDN) Mont Tremblant (Jul 6) Elliot Forbes-Robinson (Bill Scott Lola / Ford)
5. Mosport (CDN) (Jul 20) Elliot Forbes-Robinson (Bill Scott Lola / Ford)
6. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 17) Bill Brack (own Chevron / Ford-Hart)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Aug 31) Vittorio Brambilla (works March / Ford-Hart)
non championship — Brainerd (USA) Donnybrooke (Sep 7) Bill Brack (own Chevron / Ford-Hart)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ) Bobby Rahal (own March / Ford-Hart)

1976 — Canadian championship (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
1. Edmonton (CDN) (May 16) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
2. Westwood (CDN) (May 30) Marty Loft (Shierson March / Ford-Raceshop)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 13) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
4. Ste.Jovite (CDN) Mont Tremblant (Jul 11) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 8) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
6. Mosport (CDN) (Aug 22) Bobby Rahal (Shierson March / Ford-McCoy)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 5) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)

• IMSA championship (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
1. Road Atlanta (USA) (Apr 11) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
2. Laguna Seca (USA) (May 2) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
3. Ontario (USA) road (May 9) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
4. Mid-Ohio (USA) (Aug 29) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Nicholson)
5. Road Atlanta (USA) (Sep 19) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
6. Laguna Seca (USA) (Oct 3) Price Cobb (Shierson March / Ford-Raceshop)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov 14) Bobby Brown (own March / Ford-Hart)

1977 — Canadian Challenge (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
all engines must be 1600 cc Ford-Cosworth BDN
1. Mosport (CDN) (May 22) Price Cobb (private March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
2. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 26) Bobby Rahal (Truesport March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
3. Edmonton (CDN) (Jul 3) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
4. Westwood (CDN) (Jul 17) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Titan)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 7) Bill Brack (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
6. GP de St. Félicien (CDN) (Aug 14) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 4) Price Cobb (private March / Ford-Cosworth-Stimola)
7. GP de Québec (CDN) (Sep 25) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
non championship — México DF (MEX) (Nov 6) ? ( ? / Ford-Cosworth)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ?) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth-Willis)

1978 — North American championship (1st Howdy Holmes)
1. Long Beach (USA) (Apr 1) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Raceshop)
2. Westwood (CDN) (Apr 23) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
3. GP de Québec (CDN) (Jun 11) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
4. Lime Rock (USA) (Jul 4) Bobby Rahal (Pierre Phillips Ralt / Ford-Cosworth-Willis)
5. Elkhart Lake (USA) (Jul 23) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Raceshop)
6. Hamilton (CDN) (Aug 7) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 3) Bill Brack (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
7. Montréal (CDN) Île Notre-Dame (Sep 24) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth-Willis )

Road Atlanta (USA) (Oct ?) Jerry Hansen (own Lola / Ford-Hart)

1979 — SCCA championship (1st Tom Gloy)
1. Long Beach (USA) (Apr 7) Tom Gloy (own Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
2. México DF (MEX) (May 6) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)
3. Westwood (CDN) (Jun 3) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
4. GP de Québec (CDN) (Jun 10) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Jul 8) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth)
6. Elkhart Lake (USA) (Jul 22) Bob Earl (Carroll Smith Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
7. Mosport (CDN) (Aug 19) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
8. GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 2) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)
9. Bridgehampton (USA) (Sep 16) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth)
10. Montréal (CDN) Île Notre-Dame (Sep 30) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ) Tim Coconis (own Ralt / Ford-Hart)

#6 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:59

Originally posted by Piet Ram
Is the Formula Atlantic serie in the USA and Canada started in 1974? As far as I know in 1978 was the last year in Canada. Am I right?
Does anyone have some information about both series? I’m searching for results of:
USA 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1978
Canada 1974, 1975 and 1978

As an aside, the history of Atlantic in the UK was a bit odd. It arrived on the scene in '71 a bit shakily, climbed up to being about as popular as F3 during the mid-70s (particularly during the transition from 1600 to 2-litre F2 and F3) but was never quite perceived as being as "mainstream" -it seemed well placed to be a top national formula (faster than F3, cheaper than F2) but never quite caught on in a big way here.

For some reason it self-destructed in the UK (although the cars were highly popular in Libre events) but came back a few years later with the ludicrous "Indylantic" name. Anyone know the reason behind all the ups and downs?

(I recall Southern Organs/National Organs being involved in sponsiring the series, although popular opinion has it that the company in question was a bit dodgy).

Any memories?

#7 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:01

I rather liked the British Formula Atlantic. In its first season, 1971, it was sponsored by Yellow Pages. I remember only too well the Yellow Pages advertising song being played incessantly at a meeting at Oulton - God, that was irritating. Vern Schuppan (the BRM "trainee grand prix driver) was the man to beat at the time in his Palliser. At one point, his car was sponsored by "Astro Ball Clackers", a popular if knuckle breaking toy of the time. The last season was in 1976, when it was renamed "Indylantic". This was a move led by some of the drivers (Peter Wardle being the culprit, I think) to have more of a say in how things were run in the formula (and to grab more money, of course). Indy-style single car qualifying was supposed to provide a great spectacle. It didn't. End of Formula. And yes, those Organs people sponsored everything in sight in 1974/74, till the boss did a runner. Wasn't anyone suspicious at the time?

#8 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:19

Originally posted by ian senior
I rather liked the British Formula Atlantic. In its first season, 1971, it was sponsored by Yellow Pages. I remember only too well the Yellow Pages advertising song being played incessantly at a meeting at Oulton - God, that was irritating.

Not.... "Yellow Pages, Yellow Pages.... let your fingers- do the walking" to a tune suspiciously like "Yellow River"? -- it's stuck in my head now. :(

pete

#9 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:25

Yes, that was it. Oh, my brain hurts......

#10 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 16:03

Originally posted by Magee

Here's a transcript of the sports news from the 1979 Formula Atlantic at Westwood for your interest. Can you imagine a Formula Atlantic and Trans-Am both run at the same track over one weekend? What a double-header not seen very often these days!!!!!!!!

You want ALMS, Trans-Am, FF1600 & CART Toyota Atlantic...looka here http://www.gptr.qc.ca

;)

#11 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 17:40

FB results Riverside April 1970

I'm working slowly on these US race records. Have most of 1970 and a few '71.
Expect to have more later in year.
Also gradually piecing together British FAt. [Incidentally, Indyatlantic was not the
end. Atlantic cars ran in the G8 series 76/77, then in 1979 the category came
back - won by Ray Mallock in a Ralt RT1 and persisted until the early '80s.]

I'd like to find a site where these can eventually be posted as I don't
have the time to maintain one for myself, do research and keep a career
going!

Anyway, Riverside

1 Mike Eyerley Chevron B17B 30 laps 0.44.03.93 [102.2] 20pts won $2,200
2 Mike Hiss Brabham 30 15 $1,100
3 Sandy Shepard Brabham BT29 30 12 $600
4 Don Delamore Brabham BT21C 30 10 $400
5 Butch Harris Winkelman WDB2 30 8 $350
6 Jay Jamison Brabham 30 6 $300
7 John Lewis Brabham BT29 30 4 $250
8 Nick Craw Brabham BT29 29 3 $200
9 Mike Hansen Brabham BT21C 29 2 $150
10 Charlie Adams Brabham BT21C 29 1 $100
11 Harold Krech Tecno [2/3003] 29 $100
12 Max Mizejewski Lola T100 29 $100
13 Jim Grob Chevron B15B 29 $100
14 Fred Opert Brabham 29 $75
15 Frank Monise Jr Lotus 41C 29 $75
16 John Angus Brabham BT29 29 $50
17 Larry Harley Brabham 29 $50
18 Wayne Mitchell Brabham 29 $50 FC
19 Bill Boyer Brabham BT29 28 $50
20 Scott Key Lotus 28 $50
21 Evan Noyes Brabham BT29 [23] 27 $50
22 Robert Ernst Forsgrini 27 $50 FC
23 Doug Brenner Chevron 27 $50
24 Mike Orcutt Merlyn 24 $50
25 Chuck Kessinger Beach Mk11 [102]-Alfa 22 $50
26 Skip Adrian Winkelman WDB2 18 $50
27 Max Callicott McLaren M4A 14 Engine
28 Allan Lader Brabham BT29 13 Accident
29 Gary Gove Brabham 12 Accident
Bruce Redding Gravelle 12 Not known
Joe Alves Chevron B15B [ex Smothers] 9 Exhaust header
Randy Fraser Brabham BT29 4 Not known
Dow Byers McLaren 4 Engine
Matt Spitzley Brabham BT29 2 Engine
Bob Gage Brabham 1 Engine

#12 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 18:09

Originally posted by Chris Townsend
... I'd like to find a site where these can eventually be posted as I don't
going!

I volunteer.

Allen

#13 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 18:26

When Formula SCCA was created as a result of the study conducted by the SCCA in 1964, the class which immediately drew the most attention was "Formula B." Officially becoming a National class in 1966, it became the backbone of the first season of the SCCA Grand Prix Championship in 1967. The class got it own series in 1969 as the Formula A cars began to show up in numbers large enough not to require the FB cars on the starting grid.

I enjoyed the FB series and tried to catch as many races as I could. When the FB series became Formula Atlantic in 1974, I was a popular series for those looking to move onward and upward. Formula magazine generally carried the most complete race results and featured articles on the F/A cars, teams, and drivers.

#14 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 18:32

2 Mike Hiss Brabham 30 15 $1,100

I'm still waiting for someone to point out to me if Mike is recently deceased or not...

#15 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 18:52

Thanks Allen

I know that you are reluctant to put the 'tiddlers' on oldracingcars,
but given that FB and FA shared meetings in the early years of both
formulae, and given that in the Shellsport series they ended up on
the same grids, there is a certain degree of sense this.

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 21:59

Chris

I may well have said I was reluctant to research them but I would be very happy to publish your research if you are looking for somewhere to host it. I know how meticulous you are from your work on the F5000 results and I also know you can provide the data to me in a form I can easily digest.

And, as you say, they do form a part of the same story as FA/F5000.

Allen

#17 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 23:23

29 Gary Gove Brabham 12 Accident

I remember him from my formative year of TV viewing on the 1980 Can-Am telecasts. Whatever happened to him?

#18 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 00:09

Gary Gove lived in the Seattle area ( maybe still does) and was associated with Pete Lovley.
Someone out there will know more about him. Perhaps he rates his own post

#19 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 00:30

Cheesy,
Other than the novelty of two big races on one weekend (granted you've got me beaten with your Tres Rivieres example) I was impressed by John Paul's driving in both Form A and in the Trans-Am race at Westwood. How close to Superman can a driver get?

Advertisement

#20 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:02

I'm working slowly on these US race records. Have most of 1970 and a few '71.
Expect to have more later in year.
Also gradually piecing together British FAt. [Incidentally, Indyatlantic was not the
end. Atlantic cars ran in the G8 series 76/77, then in 1979 the category came
back - won by Ray Mallock in a Ralt RT1 and persisted until the early '80s.]

I'd like to find a site where these can eventually be posted as I don't
going!

Chris,

I really hate to mention this considering the time you've sunk into this, but I've already completed compiling the 1970 U.S. F/B season. If you, or Allen, would like...I'll attach the file (it's a Word doc).

We really have got to list what we have done, what we are in the process of doing and what we want to do so we can avoid duplication and redundancy.

Don, whatever happened to the place where we could post all our research?

Jim Thurman

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:55

Originally posted by Jim Thurman
... We really have got to list what we have done, what we are in the process of doing and what we want to do so we can avoid duplication and redundancy.

Don, whatever happened to the place where we could post all our research?

Jim Thurman

Jim

You are quite right. At the bottom of each race results page in the F5000 area on my site, it lists the status of the various bits of research and the people working on them (you, Wolfgang, Chris, Don, Jim Ibey and others). I would be happy to set up an area in the 'Projects' area of OldRacingCars.com to cover the Formula B/Atl research so everyone involved can see where we've got to and, in due course, publish the results as well. I can also provide the place where everyone can post their research - as well as FB, I remember someone is looking at FSV.

I can publish Word documents at first - so everyone has access to existing research - but am very happy to convert data and import it into a results database when the it's ready.

Allen

#22 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 13:03

Does everyone know about the mass of Formula Atlantic information posted by Fines, Falcadore and others on this thread?

Michael starts with the 1969 SCCA FB series and brings it right up to date. I guess we should get hold of everything he has too.

Allen

#23 Piet Ram

Piet Ram

• 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 19:49

Hi Jimmy,

This is exactly what I want to know.

Many, may thanks.

Piet

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
I think it was called "Formula B" up to 1973, and then "formula Atlantic" from 1974.

Below are the 1974-1979 American race winners

1974 — Canadian Challenge series (1st Bill Brack)
2. Edmonton (CDN) (Jun 2) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 16) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Smith)
4. Mosport (CDN) (Jun 30) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
5. Sanair (CDN) road (Jul 14) Bill Brack (own Lotus / Ford-Hart)
6. Newfoundland GP (CDN) St. Johns (Jul 28) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Smith)
7. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 18) Bill Brack (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Hart)
non championship — Elkhart Lake (USA) (Aug 24) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 1) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — Detroit (USA) Waterford Hills (Sep 22) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)
non championship — Watkins Glen (USA) (Oct 6) Bill O’ Connor (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Traylor)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ?) Ken Duclos (own Brabham / Ford-Hart)

• SCCA national races
Arkansas GP (USA) Stuttgart (Apr 21) David Loring (works Merlyn / Ford-Hart)
etc.

1975 — Canadian Challenge series (1st Bill Brack)
1. Edmonton (CDN) (May 25) Bertil Roos (Canada March / Ford-Hart)
2. Westwood (CDN) (Jun 1) Bertil Roos (Canada March / Ford-Hart)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 22) Gilles Villeneuve (private March / Ford)
4. Ste. Jovite (CDN) Mont Tremblant (Jul 6) Elliot Forbes-Robinson (Bill Scott Lola / Ford)
5. Mosport (CDN) (Jul 20) Elliot Forbes-Robinson (Bill Scott Lola / Ford)
6. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 17) Bill Brack (own Chevron / Ford-Hart)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Aug 31) Vittorio Brambilla (works March / Ford-Hart)
non championship — Brainerd (USA) Donnybrooke (Sep 7) Bill Brack (own Chevron / Ford-Hart)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ) Bobby Rahal (own March / Ford-Hart)

1976 — Canadian championship (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
1. Edmonton (CDN) (May 16) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
2. Westwood (CDN) (May 30) Marty Loft (Shierson March / Ford-Raceshop)
3. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 13) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
4. Ste.Jovite (CDN) Mont Tremblant (Jul 11) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 8) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
6. Mosport (CDN) (Aug 22) Bobby Rahal (Shierson March / Ford-McCoy)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 5) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)

• IMSA championship (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
1. Road Atlanta (USA) (Apr 11) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
2. Laguna Seca (USA) (May 2) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
3. Ontario (USA) road (May 9) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
4. Mid-Ohio (USA) (Aug 29) Tom Klausler (Carl Haas Lola / Ford-Nicholson)
5. Road Atlanta (USA) (Sep 19) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Morris)
6. Laguna Seca (USA) (Oct 3) Price Cobb (Shierson March / Ford-Raceshop)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov 14) Bobby Brown (own March / Ford-Hart)

1977 — Canadian Challenge (1st Gilles Villeneuve)
1. Mosport (CDN) (May 22) Price Cobb (private March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
2. Winnipeg GP (CDN) Gimli (Jun 26) Bobby Rahal (Truesport March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
3. Edmonton (CDN) (Jul 3) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
4. Westwood (CDN) (Jul 17) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Titan)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Aug 7) Bill Brack (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
6. GP de St. Félicien (CDN) (Aug 14) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 4) Price Cobb (private March / Ford-Cosworth-Stimola)
7. GP de Québec (CDN) (Sep 25) Gilles Villeneuve (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Morris)
non championship — México DF (MEX) (Nov 6) ? ( ? / Ford-Cosworth)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ?) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth-Willis)

1978 — North American championship (1st Howdy Holmes)
1. Long Beach (USA) (Apr 1) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Raceshop)
2. Westwood (CDN) (Apr 23) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
3. GP de Québec (CDN) (Jun 11) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
4. Lime Rock (USA) (Jul 4) Bobby Rahal (Pierre Phillips Ralt / Ford-Cosworth-Willis)
5. Elkhart Lake (USA) (Jul 23) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth-Raceshop)
6. Hamilton (CDN) (Aug 7) Keke Rosberg (Fred Opert Chevron / Ford-Cosworth-Smith)
non championship — GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 3) Bill Brack (Canada March / Ford-Cosworth-Nicholson)
7. Montréal (CDN) Île Notre-Dame (Sep 24) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth-Willis )

Road Atlanta (USA) (Oct ?) Jerry Hansen (own Lola / Ford-Hart)

1979 — SCCA championship (1st Tom Gloy)
1. Long Beach (USA) (Apr 7) Tom Gloy (own Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
2. México DF (MEX) (May 6) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)
3. Westwood (CDN) (Jun 3) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
4. GP de Québec (CDN) (Jun 10) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
5. Halifax (CDN) (Jul 8) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth)
6. Elkhart Lake (USA) (Jul 22) Bob Earl (Carroll Smith Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
7. Mosport (CDN) (Aug 19) Kevin Cogan (Brian Robertson Ralt / Ford-Cosworth)
8. GP de Trois Rivières (CDN) (Sep 2) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)
9. Bridgehampton (USA) (Sep 16) Jeff Wood (own March / Ford-Cosworth)
10. Montréal (CDN) Île Notre-Dame (Sep 30) Howdy Holmes (Shierson March / Ford-Cosworth)

Road Atlanta (USA) (Nov ) Tim Coconis (own Ralt / Ford-Hart)

#24 Phil Harms

Phil Harms

• 76 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:30

An interesting thread ----

Last fall the Atlanics folks contacted me via motorsport.com to have all of the FA box scores compiled. They provided me with copies of all of their records but, alas, material for most of the 1970s is quite slim. Maybe if this thread continues long enough I may capture some of the missing data. I'll have to figure out how to search the archives; I imagine there is a mother lode of info that has already been discussed.

I'm starting with the 1974 season, realizing that Formula B and others preceded. I'm not on firm ground with this series but I'm learning that many noted drivers started here. I may be asking for assistance from time to time. It'll be eventually posted on the motorsport.com website --- also the Atlantics site if they want to use it.

#25 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 14:39

Phil,

I know Jim Thurman and several others have been working on culling the FB results from Autoweek/Competition Press. Indeed, I too have been working on this as well. The IMRRC at Watkins Glen now has a complete run of CP from vol. 1, no. 1. At some point I plan to go back thru them and see which of the FB races I don't have data for. In addition, Formula magazine is an excellent source for F/Atlantic.

As I keep mentioning, it is quite amazing just how little of the American racing record is truly "on record."

Whatever help I or the others can provide, Phil, we certainly will -- and don't hesitate to ask.

#26 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 16:02

Don

I'll be at the IMRRC in a couple of weeks time (14-16 April). Will you be anywhere in the vicinity?

Allen

#27 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 00:07

Westwood, Vancouver, 1974 first round of the Players series I believe. Form up lap (rolling start). Not sure of any of the cars, maybe someone else can provide more names but I think that Gilles Villeneuve’s car is the yellow one towards the back (12th or 13th). My memory (not reliable at the best of times) tells me that Bertil Roos and Bobby Rahal were in the field, but that might have been the following year (which I think I saw but don't seem to have any photos of).

Posted Image

#28 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:54

From the program of the race in question; the 1974 Player's Pacific, May 26.
6 Wink Bancroft
1 Bill Brack
21 Peter Broeker
97 Booby Brown
20 Leonard Campbell
19 Thom R. Campbell
33 Syd Demovsky
86 Richard Doran
46 Charles W Eagles
3 Peter Ferguson
75 Charles Hanson
4 Craig Hill
61 Ron Householder
41 Bruce Jensen
49 Jon Norman
32 Alistair Justason
17 Allen Karlberg
44 Dennis Krueger
75 Alan Lader
18 David Loring
74 David Morris
12 Christopher O'Brien
48 Richard Paul
5 Bertil Roos

A starting grid photo of this same race in on the cover of my recently published book on the Westwood Racing circuit.

#29 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:22

Tom,

That fits with your entry list, and my photo, but I have seen several web sites (not always the best source I know) that say Gilles came third but he isn't on your list.

#30 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 14:23

I sure hope Mike Hiss is alive, I chased him all race long at Road America last July. He was driving an ex-Rosberg Opert Chevron F2 car.

#31 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 15:15

2Bob

GV was indeed third.

The results:
1 Alan Lader Chevron B27-BDA Hart [car belonged to George Sabin, not to Lader and he only ran it at this race]
2 Bobby Brown March 74B-BDA Smith
3 Gilles Villeneuve March 74B-BDA Greatorex 1 lap down
4 David Loring Merlyn Mk21-BDA Nicholson
5 Wink Bancroft Chevron B27 [27.74.05]-BDA Hart
6 Allen Karlberg Brabham BT29-BDA or t/c
7 Syd Demovsky March 74B-BDA Greatorex 2 laps down
8 Al Justason Rondel M1-BDA
9 Tim Cooper March 73B-BDA
10 James King Chevron B27-BDA Nicholson
11 Joe Grimaldi March 74B-BDA Raceshop
12 Peter Ferguson Chevron B20-Ford t/c 3 laps down
13 Pete Broeker Chevron B9/17-Ford t/c 6 laps down
14Dave Morris March 74B-BDA 37 laps completed, running
Retired
Craig Hill Brabham BT40-BDA Hart
Bertil Roos Chevron B27-BDA Hart
Chris O'Brien Rondel M1-BDA
Dennis Kreuger March 71BM-Ford t/c
Len Campbell March 73B-BDA
Bruce Jensen March 74B-BDA Hart
Bill Brack Lotus 59-BDA Hart
Chip Mead Chevron B27-BDA Nicholson
Unknown fate
Seb Barone Rondel M1-BDA
Mauro Lanaro March 71BM-Ford t/c
Did not qualify
Richard Doran GRD B72-Ford t/c
Norm Joy March 71BM-Ford t/c
Ron Householder Brabham BT40-Ford t/c
Bill Eagles Brabham BT40-Ford t/c
and another six unknown non-qualifiers

Rahal would have been 1975, I think he was still running his sports car this early in 1974.

In your picture we see Lader and Roos, followed by ? white car, maybe Loring or Tim Cooper, then Bobby Brown at the apex of the corner, Brack is on the outside coming into the hairpin [the red car]. Don't know who he's alongside, then behind him, Craig Hill [red and white car] and one of the Shierson B27s, maybe James King.

Do you have more pics like this, from this meeting or any other FB/Atlantic? Brilliant stuff!
Also, does anyone have a full grid or other records for the Westwood race?
I've got a set of results for the 1974 season almost ready to post on Allen Brown's OldRacingCars site and would really value more information.

Chris

#32 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 16:06

Interesting that none of the Lola T360s that were so quick that year were out in this first race. I presume Haas hadn't got them by then, or perhaps Broadley was still sorting things out on the UK 'test car'.

#33 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 16:59

Ted Wentz, the Lola test driver, recently told me that the cars were completely different animals on American tires. He said they ran much, much better on British-made Goodyears tires. He said it was the nicest car he ever drove.

#34 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 17:00

Dan

So far as I can tell the first two T360s to make it to North America that year are those of United Racing, owned by Bill O'Connor, which weren't shipped before mid May.
They have an immediate impact, with Tom Klausler winning on debut at Gimli and O'Connor setting fastest lap before retiring. A T360 was in a podium place at every race for the rest of the season [usually Klausler's since apart from at the GP support race at the Glen where he won, O'Connor seemed to have all the bad luck]

Not surprising then that the T360 was the best selling Atlantic car in North America for the following season.

Chris

#35 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 18:38

Posted Image
Here is the ex Tom Glory March 76B as seen at Mid Ohio. Photo posted on behalf of Dave Kane
photo lent site Dave Kane

#36 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:32

Tried to do a bit more with Westwood photos. These I scanned without 'dust removal' and then played with cropping etc. Not much better but a few more details emerge. Please note taken from general spectator area on 35mm Olympus none SLR camera, ie typical snap by not particularly photographicly keen person! (Fairly keen on motoracing though - especially open wheelers!). I don't think I have any more from Westwood (got involved as pit-crew and then driving) but will have a look through 30 or 40 boxes of slides, all unlabelled of course, of various travels! Incidently these were scanned using recently purchased Epson V100 scanner - $AUd220.00, $US100 in US (gee we get ripped off for this sort of thing in Oz) basically on auto mode but on 1200 bpi to try and get more detail. Seems adequate for my purposes, might get to see some of those old travel slides again one day!

2nd form up lap I think.

Posted Image

Lader:

Posted Image

Roos:

Posted Image

Names from Tom Johnson's post

5 Roos, 79 ?, white 33 Demovsky, red 1 Brack, further back, white/red 4 Craig Hill, blue 23 ? Chevron I think:

Posted Image

#37 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:23

2Bob
79 is Bobby Brown's March 74B.
6 is Bancroft's Chevron B27 that was actually on pole
23 is Chip Mead Chevron B27
I think that the black car inside of Brack might be Loring's Merlyn

Interesting to note that Demovsky's March 74B has been converted to shovel nose and side radiator spec before its first race. Most other owners took some time to make the change.

BTW my results aren't off a web site, so that GV placing is solid
Sources are Vancouver Sun race report and Canadian Motorsport Bulletin

Chris

#38 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:08

Can anyone please perhaps provide me with magazine/newspaper reports of the the following FAtlantic races in Canada:

Trois Rivieres (1 Sept 1974)

Trois Rivieres (31 Aug 1975)

Trois Rivieres (4 Sept 1977)

Quebec City (26 Sept 1977)

I need these for my research on Patrick Depailler's career.

Many thanks

#39 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:24

Originally posted by 2Bob
... I have seen several web sites (not always the best source I know) ...

Depends on the web site.  ;)

Allen

Advertisement

#40 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:12

This is because all of the Atlantic/FB results on OldRacingCars are taken first from period journals, second from period local newspapers, and where possible from race organisers' documents and personal observations made at the time.

Car identifications are based on personal observation, journal reports, car manufacturers sales records and traceable provenances from contemporary ownership.

Only after this do I enter into the realm of pure speculation...java script:smilie(':cat:')

#41 grimeheel

grimeheel

• 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 00:10

By any chance does anyone have a program for the 1979 Formula Atlantic/Trans-Am races at Mexico City May 6, 1979. I would like to get a nice color scan of the cover, if possible.

#42 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 15:58

Nick Craw is now the head of ACCUS and was the former President of the SCCA.