#1 nsmg

nsmg

• 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 22:40

:eek:

Cheers,

I'm looking for information about the misterious prototype rally cars built by
Lada and Skoda for the banned Group S.

- Lada Samara Gr.S prototype - built by by Lada Autosport in 1988.
This is all I could find on the internet :

http://digilander.li.../vaz2108eva.jpg

http://digilander.li...ra-s-proto.jpg´

http://digilander.li...ra-s-proto3.jpg

- Skoda 130 LR Gr.S - built by Skoda Motorsport in 1986 , it actually raced some rounds of the
European Rallycross Championship in the early nineties, as a works entry. However , I couldn't
find any photos of this car.

Best Regards.
NSMG

Advertisement

#2 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 04:51

Very interesting - I've never seen before the car on these photos, called Lada Samara S-Proto, but it seems to be very similar 1987 Lada Samara Eva, designed and built by little company VFTS from Vilnius (Lithuania), that was managed by famous Soviet rally driver Stasis Brundza. And as far as I know Eva was not rally, but touring car! The engine, based on a standard 2108 1S-litre block, had increased to 1860 cc capacity, fuel-injection, turbocharger, new cylinder head with two camshafts and four valves per cylinder, produced 300 bhp and was placed behind driver's seat! The rear-wheel drived car weighted 980 kilo (2160 lbs) and only looked alike its front-wheel drived prototype (Lada Samara) - in fact it was fiberglass bodyshell on the tubular space frame. I guess, Lada Samara S-Proto was created as a further development of Lada Samara Eva and it was doubtless a rally car (must be really Group S), like most other cars made by VFTS. Sorry, but it's all that I can say.

#3 nsmg

nsmg

• 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 13:01

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
Do you have any photos of the Lada samara EVA and do you know if '' VFTS '' still exists ?
I searched the internet but I couldn't find anything about VFTS , no webpage , no postal address, nothing.

About the Skoda 130LR Gr.S ,do you have any information about this car ?

Best Regards.
NSMG

#4 IMV

IMV

• 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 15:04

As far as I know, it was just a slightly modified 130LR with extended fiber-glass fenders. Give me some time and I will prepare more exact info with some pictures...

#5 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 16:19

The Samara looks at least passingly similar to the desert raid cars that Lada entered into the Paris Dakar in the early nineties. I seem to remember that they were reasonably competitive too - and that they signed up either an ex-F1 driver or an ex World Rally winner to drive - exact details escape me ......not that they ever came particularly close to winning the event or anything

#6 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 17:42

Patrick Tambay IIRC... And I believe later Jacky Ickx was also involved.

#7 nsmg

nsmg

• 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 18:26

Cheers,

http://www.sera-cd.c...ete/galerie.htm

The lada samara T3 that raced in the offroad championship was built by the french company ''Sera''
for the french lada dealer ''POCH''.This car featured a porsche engine and transmission , prepared by the famous porsche tuner ''Almeras''.It was driven by Patrick Tambay , Sérvia and Jacky Ickx with sponsorship by Trident.I don't know how many of these cars were built , but reportedly they are all now owned by Lada Autosport and remain in Russia.

I'm also looking for photos and information about this interesting car :

http://digilander.li...imix/fav4x4.jpg

It is a Skoda Favorit 4x4 prepared for the Paris-Dakar , equipped with the engine of the Tatra 613 !

Best Regards.
NSMG

#8 IMV

IMV

• 110 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 18:39

Originally posted by nsmg
....It is a Skoda Favorit 4x4 prepared for the Paris-Dakar , equipped with the engine of the Tatra 613 !

Best Regards.
NSMG

I´m sorry, it is only a piece of fantasy which put on the paper famous Czech designer Vaclav Kral
(I am not sure, but I think it was published in April issue of Svet Motoru magazine....)

#9 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 23:18

Hello, nsmg!

Sorry for the long silence – I needed some time to search my archives. Here's what I could find.

Posted Image
VFTS Lada Samara Eva

As you can see, it looks very similar 1988 Lada Samara S-Proto. Could it be the same car? I don't exclude such possibility, yet note different number plates of Eva (35 22 ËÈÄ) and S-Proto (00 01 PTB). As to VFTS, I heard Stasis Brundza is now chairman of Lithuanian Automobile Club and represents his country in the FIA. His little company, that built rally cars for the national Soviet team, doesn't exist more – competition (even in national championships) is too high.

Another add: here you can find mid-80s advertising brochure of VFTS printed in ...English! For whom it was published? For european rally drivers, who dreamed about Lada? (What a s**t are all these Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Audi Quattro!) Very funny...

This photo can be also interesting for you:

Posted Image
VAZ-29084

This is the 'real' works rally car, created by VAZ's (Volzhsky automobile factory) sports division in Togliatti. The car didn't get its own name like 'Eva' and had only numerical index. 1986 were built few mid-engined 29082 cars (rear-wheel drive, 1558 cc, 150 bhp) and 1988 appeared AWD version 29084. All cars were used by works drivers – I believe only in national races.

Best regards from Moscow.

#10 nsmg

nsmg

• 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 01:49

Cheers !

ru. , thank you for all the information and photos !

Do you know whatever happened to the Samara EVA and S-Proto
and who currently owns them ?

Best Regards.
NSMG

#11 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 22:14

Sorry, rally racing is not my hobby-horse. But I'll try to find something about it with a help of my friends.

#12 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 14:41

As I remember the Lada was prepared by Oreca in France. It was actually quite competitive at the end of 1991 and beginning of 1992. I think they won the Pharaons Rallye in 1991 after the Citroens all hit trouble.