16970 replies to this topic

#11601 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 16:31

The General Motors GM EN-V Concept car cutaway

Posted Image

Success for all

Is this thing supossed to be a segway in a kinder surprise?

Advertisement

#11602 Motocar

Motocar

• 736 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 23:45

McLaren M8A CanAm, Denny Hulme pilot,

Posted Image

Success for all

#11603 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 15:02

A different sort of cutaway situation........... I will delete in a day or so as frivolous.
http://www.dailymail...n-motoring.html
Roger Lund

#11604 goro

goro

• 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 15:49

Piola 4X

I have not found these in the list. There are books on Piola

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [url="http://"http://imageshack.us/photo/my-%5bURL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/minardim198piola.jpg/"]Posted Image[/url]

Edited by goro, 08 June 2012 - 13:59.

#11605 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 17:03

A different sort of cutaway situation........... I will delete in a day or so as frivolous.
http://www.dailymail...n-motoring.html
Roger Lund

Frivolous, maybe. Funny, yes.
I am considering how we always say that cars are not made the way they used to be ... meaning that they aren't as solidly built ... but really meaning we haven't just thrown a ton of metal at the problem, with no idea of what it should actually be doing. When you consider the lightness and the structural integrity of cars now, I think that these pictures bring an appreciation of just how "wonderful" those old cars were ... if you did not hit anything with them. If you ever did, you probably aren't around talking about it now.
Just a point for your dining and dancing pleasure.
By the way, I am trying to complete a container of magazines, getting the cutaways scanned so i can put this box away. There will be something like 600 segments to be put together, even though a very small number of them are one-page scans. includes quite a few Cavara pieces, a lot of aircraft, a few Betti pieces and some very miscellaneous material that we haven't had out before. If any of this is a double post, it will give you a bit higher resolution version for the files ... back to the scanningmines.
Tom West

#11606 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 20:52

McLaren M8A CanAm, Denny Hulme pilot,

Posted Image

Success for all

I wonder if that is the GMP model?

#11607 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 20:53

Posted Image
Ferrari 166 SC. Artist, Betti (Giulio or Bruno).

Posted Image
Suzuki Single-Rotor Wankel. Artist, unknown.

#11608 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 22:03

I wonder if that is the GMP model?

I believe you are correct sir!

#11609 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 1,561 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 23:11

Audi 90 by artist unknown. There is a signature at the rear bumper. Seems "Sch." Schlenzig?

Posted Image

Audi 90 engine by the same artist unknown

Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 04 June 2012 - 23:11.

#11610 Motocar

Motocar

• 736 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:59

I think if ....

Motocar

#11611 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 16:46

Seems "Sch." Schlenzig?

Yes Ibsen, you are right !

#11612 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 323 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 17:12

Audi 90 by artist unknown. There is a signature at the rear bumper. Seems "Sch." Schlenzig?

Posted Image

Audi 90 engine by the same artist unknown

Posted Image

Not unknown - you are absolutely correct - that "Sch" is one of Herbert Schlenzig's many signatures... often he spells out his full last name, either printed (sometimes with a fancier "S" or fancier "z" or both) or in cursive. The "Sch" found here is fairly frequent and is identical to first three letters in his cursive signature.

oops... didn't see Marc's response just above...

Edited by simplebrother, 05 June 2012 - 17:13.

#11613 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 1,561 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 22:40

Audi Quattro by Schlenzig

Posted Image

Audi Quattro longitudinal section by Schlenzig (Not a cutaway)

Posted Image

#11614 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:27

There's a basic cutaway of the Russian 'Buran' shuttle available here with other interesting illustrations elsewhere on the site.

There's also scans of original engineering drawings.

#11615 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 21:51

Posted Image
Ferrari F1-87. Artist, Betti (Giulio or Bruno).

#11616 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 21:54

Re-posts only I'm afraid. (A couple of classics though).

Posted Image
Ferrari 312 PB. Artist, Bruno Betti.

Posted Image
Ferrari 512 S. Artist, Bruno Betti.

#11617 goro

goro

• 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:46

ferrari 312 B3 from artist DiAlesio
Posted Image

Edited by goro, 08 June 2012 - 13:55.

#11618 Jian10

Jian10

• 64 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 15:50

It has been a while since someone posted something that flies.

Here's the Curtiss C-46 Commando by Badrocke

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#11619 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:22

Thanks for jumping in there with the Commando. I have been trying to get a couple of pieces assembled, and they are just coming out in the alphabetical order of the files .. thus the first one being Airbus ...
This is a Mike Badrocke illustration of the Airbus A330-300. First flying in 1993, it appeared in the October, 1994 issue of Air International.
Tom West

AirbusA330-300-1993-AirIntl10-1994-Badrocke
Posted Image

Advertisement

#11620 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:27

Our second, again of the winged variety, is the Mike Badrocke illustration of the Alenia Aermacchi M311, advanced trainer that first flew in 2005, and appeared in Air International December, 2006.
Tom West

AleniaAermacchiM311-2005-AirIntl12-2006-Badrocke
Posted Image

#11621 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:31

This is more along the line of our normal subject matter, and has appeared here previously. This time it is out of the Motor Trend Sports Car Quarterly, fall of 1958, and it was not exactly very nicely printed. Had to fight through some real trash in the scan to get it close, so my apologies to the reputation of the guy who I considered to be that absolute best at the artform when I started, James Allington. This Lotus Elite seemed to be standard usage in many items, showing up in various publications over the years.
Tom West

Allington-LotusElite-MTSCQuarterly-Fall1958
Posted Image

#11622 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:36

This is something a bit different from Alloisi (not sure of a first name here). The Tecno K250 Formula car that appeared in Quattroruote, November 1991. I had about four issues of the magazine, and there are some interesting subjects in there, of which you have already seen a few ... more sitting in my file in pieces .. now around 700 of them. And that does not scratch the surface yet. Most of the miscellaneous stuff is scanned so I can put the box of magazines away, but I have a six-foot stack of tubs full of Air Enthusiast-Air International that still need to be done ... one down and six to go.
Tom West

Alloisi-TecnoK250-Quattroruote11-1991
Posted Image

#11623 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:41

Back to our winged friends, assuming that a Russian heavy transport could be considered our friend ... and, don't you love the demeaning NATO Code names for these things ...
Out of Airliner World, March, 2001, this is Mike Badrocke's illustration of the Antonov An12BP Cub-A ... sounds like a trainer or something doesn't it? Note the tail gun positions and bombardier nose that was typical of Russian "airliners" of the Cold War period. Just take the cover off the windows, throw out the seats and you have a bomber. Whadda country.
This was a bear, as it was printed on a fairly heavy dot pattern background that was a bitch to clean out.
Tom West

AntonovAn12BPCubA-1961-AirlinerWorld03-2001-Badrocke
Posted Image

#11624 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:16

ferrari 312 B3 from artist DiAlesio
Posted Image

Could everyone please try not save your images as PNG files. I noticed this one, and there is one other was was done this way I think on the previous page. I just makes organizing images easier.

Thanks.

#11625 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:23

Could everyone please try not save your images as PNG files. I noticed this one, and there is one other was was done this way I think on the previous page. I just makes organizing images easier.

Thanks.

t is a bit inconvenient, but just file in Photoshop and resave it in jpg .. does not take much to make the correction.
Tom West

#11626 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:54

This is something a bit different from Alloisi (not sure of a first name here). The Tecno K250 Formula car that appeared in Quattroruote, November 1991. I had about four issues of the magazine, and there are some interesting subjects in there, of which you have already seen a few ... more sitting in my file in pieces .. now around 700 of them. And that does not scratch the surface yet. Most of the miscellaneous stuff is scanned so I can put the box of magazines away, but I have a six-foot stack of tubs full of Air Enthusiast-Air International that still need to be done ... one down and six to go.
Tom West

Posted Image

Great find :up:

#11627 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 323 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:16

This is something a bit different from Alloisi (not sure of a first name here).
Tom West

Posted Image

Alloisi's first name is Gianni (thanks Ibsen - I always thought it was Giorgio) - The Tecno K250 used a Ducati 250cc sohc single as its power source. I bought a factory-prepared off-road race bike with that sweet little motor when the dealership's rider dropped the bike while leading a race - one of the folks behind him ran over his leg and broke his femur - very sad for him, but it gave me a wonderful bike. What a screamer - the stock street bike was the fastest 250 on the road that year (1964) with 30 bhp and safely running at over 12,000 rpm. I never knew the exact power of the racer (the dealership estimated it at about 40), but it could safely run at 13-14,000 and could touch 15,000 without flying apart - she nearly killed me many times, but it was the most fun I have ever had on two or four wheels. I tested it in on a city street after preparing it for a race and went past a sitting policeman (that I didn't see) while going flat out in 3rd gear - with the rear sprocket I was using, about 72 mph. I couldn't hear the siren over the exhaust (no muffler), but when I saw about 30 kids running at me when I stopped at a stop sign in front of their dormitory I looked over my shoulder - police car with bubblegum machine spinning around and a policeman waving his hands back and forth. I had all I could do keeping the kids from tipping over his car. He was less than happy or sympathetic - wrote me up with something like 21 violations (don't remember exactly - it was 48 years ago) but he included things like no headlight (it was daytime - not required), and lots of "equipment" deficiencies, plus the excessive noise, reckless driving, speeding, etc. Strangely enough, when I went to court the judge asked me if I had "fixed" my bike and I told him "No sir - respectively, it is a race bike that I foolishly tested on the city street - it won't happen again" and walked out with no fine and $5 in court costs - probably because the rookie policeman didn't show up in court, I imagine he thought his ticket spoke for itself - fortunately for me it didn't speak as clearly as he thought.

Edited by simplebrother, 08 June 2012 - 17:09.

#11628 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 1,561 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:11

There are two italian illustrators:
Gianni Alloisi and Giorgio Alisi
Do not confuse them.

And another with signature: Alloisi Milanesi (or is the same Alloisi?)

Edited by ibsenop, 08 June 2012 - 11:21.

#11629 goro

goro

• 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 14:01

Thanks.

Sorry. Done! Images are in jpg
goro

#11630 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:09

Could everyone please try not save your images as PNG files.
Thanks.

What is your beef about ?
Save the image as a png
Go into your file and rename it as Ferrari 312B3.jpg ( dot jpg)

#11631 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:47

Alloisi's first name is Giorgio - The Tecno K250 used a Ducati 250cc sohc single as its power source. I bought a factory-prepared off-road race bike with that sweet little motor when the dealership's rider dropped the bike while leading a race - one of the folks behind him ran over his leg and broke his femur - very sad for him, but it gave me a wonderful bike. What a screamer - the stock street bike was the fastest 250 on the road that year (1964) with 30 bhp and safely running at over 12,000 rpm. I never knew the exact power of the racer (the dealership estimated it at about 40), but it could safely run at 13-14,000 and could touch 15,000 without flying apart - she nearly killed me many times, but it was the most fun I have ever had on two or four wheels. I tested it in on a city street after preparing it for a race and went past a sitting policeman (that I didn't see) while going flat out in 3rd gear - with the rear sprocket I was using, about 72 mph. I couldn't hear the siren over the exhaust (no muffler), but when I saw about 30 kids running at me when I stopped at a stop sign in front of their dormitory I looked over my shoulder - police car with bubblegum machine spinning around and a policeman waving his hands back and forth. I had all I could do keeping the kids from tipping over his car. He was less than happy or sympathetic - wrote me up with something like 21 violations (don't remember exactly - it was 48 years ago) but he included things like no headlight (it was daytime - not required), and lots of "equipment" deficiencies, plus the excessive noise, reckless driving, speeding, etc. Strangely enough, when I went to court the judge asked me if I had "fixed" my bike and I told him "No sir - respectively, it is a race bike that I foolishly tested on the city street - it won't happen again" and walked out with no fine and $5 in court costs - probably because the rookie policeman didn't show up in court, I imagine he thought his ticket spoke for itself - fortunately for me it didn't speak as clearly as he thought.

Thanks for the correction. I just went to my artist files to add the name, and it was already there ... should have looked more closely ...
The texture added by these stories does put a lot of extra interest to the illustrations posted. There are a number still to come from those old Quattroruote editions, the only problem being that you have to disassemble the glued books, so they are pretty much ruined once I get the scans. The price of sharing, I guess ... and I can use the room for all the Air Internationals ...
Thanks for the comments. Always look forward to the eclectic mix of images from your collection.
Tom West

#11632 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 323 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:56

There are two italian illustrators:
Gianni Alloisi and Giorgio Alisi
Do not confuse them.

And another with signature: Alloisi Milanesi (or is the same Alloisi?)

I wasn't confusing Alisi and Alloisi - but I did think both first names were Giorgio - thanks.

I'm not sure, but I didn't think that the two Alloisi artists were the same as the styles of my examples of their works are pretty different, as are vehicles portrayed. However, after your correction in the first name I found two drawings by Gianni of the (never built) BMW E21 from 1976 (http://www.bmwe21fan...sp?id=2&page=20) and those drawings remind me of the Milanesi drawings that I have, so now I am uncertain - whichever is true, if it is one artist, for some reason he chooses to use very dissimilar signatures.

Copies of each's rendition of the Pantera are below.
Gianni's...
Posted Image
Milanesi's...
Posted Image

Edited by simplebrother, 08 June 2012 - 17:07.

#11633 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:01

Looking for something else, I came across this old MN article in Massini's 250LM book. I have made the best fist of scanning it I can, but it is diagonal on the page, and a full A4 size so I had to fold the page or there would be lots of narrative. It is is a goos res. so click on the oicture. If anyone wants a full version it is around 1.3gb, so pm me and I will send a full version.
I have checked on the Index and we have not had it so far.
Posted Image
edit
I attach a cleaner version.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 08 June 2012 - 17:08.

#11634 Embers

Embers

• 147 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:59

Here are a couple more aeronautical drawings from long ago: the 1952 issue of Air Progress History of Aviation. They span the speed range of manned aviation as it was 60 years ago.
Posted Image
The first is labeled as the "Wright Biplane", but, since all the Wright's aircraft were biplanes, it is more commonly known today as the Wright Flyer of 1903. The cutaway (and, admittedly, there isn't much to cut away on this airplane) is by Douglas Rolfe. I don't think Rolfe has been mentioned on this forum previously. He was a prolific aircraft illustrator from the 1930's to the early 1960's. Much of his illustration work, aside from his cutaways, was published in a book Airplanes of the World which went through at least four editions. His style was distinctive, with many arrowed notations and side illustrations. These side illustrations often show structural and control details, which probably is a reflection of his life history. As a youngster he built a man-carrying glider prior to World War I, learned to fly on a Morane Parasol, and flew and repaired a Curtiss Jenny on barnstroming tours of the southern United States after that war.

Posted Image
The other end of the speed range is the first manned aircraft to exceed Mach 2: the Douglas D558-2 Skyrocket. This cutaway was unattributed by the magazine. While not mentioned in the image caption, the test pilot responsible for the speed record was Scott Crossfield. Those of us of a certain age who grew up in the U.S. might remember this as Captain Midnight's airplane.

#11635 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:17

Posted Image
Ferrari 640 (F1-89). Artist, Betti (Giulio or Bruno).

Posted Image
British-Vulpine 996 c.c. Motorcycle engine. Artist, unknown.

#11636 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 1,561 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 21:31

Looking for something else, I came across this old MN article in Massini's 250LM book. I have made the best fist of scanning it I can, but it is diagonal on the page, and a full A4 size so I had to fold the page or there would be lots of narrative. It is is a goos res. so click on the oicture. If anyone wants a full version it is around 1.3gb, so pm me and I will send a full version.
I have checked on the Index and we have not had it so far.
Posted Image
edit
I attach a cleaner version.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

Roger, thank you for the high resolution scan.
Cleaned and converted to black and white.
Posted Image

#11637 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:06

I'm just curious, I have a rare piece of racing memorabilia I'd like to put up at auction this year at the Monterey historic races and other automotive events. I know there are many auctions for full-sized cars, but surely there must be some who also offer racing memorabilia. Does anyone know of anyone?

Thanks!

#11638 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 00:09

Not sure I can help with the racing memorabilia. There are shows along with many of the NHRA National events with which I am familiar, but the market has proven to be pretty flat lately. Somehow, i am thinking the question is not about drag racing, so cannot help you out, but there has to be associated auctions around at some places.

I am going to send out a couple of more aircraft cutaways that have been recently scanned. I will start with the Avro Vulcan B2 from 1957, as illustrated by Frank Munger. He seemed to end up with some epic pieces over the years, and I would think this was probably one of them. It was reprinted in a relatively recent Aeroplane, but I did not note the issue for some reason.
Not exactly the best reproduction, but I tried to clean it up a bit.
Tom West

AvroVulcanB2-1957-Munger,Frank
Posted Image

#11639 TWest

TWest

• 1,755 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 00:17

Another rather different subject is this Armscor CSH-2 Rooivalk. This chopper was flying in 1990, and was drawn by Mike Badrocke for the October, 1992 Air International. So you know, Armscor is the Armaments Corpooration of South Africa, Ltd., part of Atlas, or vice versa, just to reference the location for you guys.
Tom West

ArmscorCSH2Rooivalk-1990-AirIntl10-1992-Badrocke
Posted Image

Advertisement

#11640 Karabas

Karabas

• 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 14:09

Brown Reynold

P-47D Republic "Thunderbolt"

Posted Image

#11641 Karabas

Karabas

• 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 14:11

Smith R.G.

Boeing B-17

Posted Image

F4U-1D Vought "Corsair"

Posted Image

#11642 Motocar

Motocar

• 736 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:12

BRM P142 Cutaway, first wing car in history, the company design BRM car did alamucho before Colin Chapman with his Lotus 78 and then obtain the F1 World Championship 1978 with mari Andretti at the wheel, the drawings are not high quality but we present a glimpse of that technology in its early days, BRM models built and tested in wind tunnel, I know the results of those tests come up with unreadable author ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Success for all

Edited by Motocar, 10 June 2012 - 21:19.

#11643 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:47

There's some interesting stuff on the BRM wing car in this earlier thread:

BRM P142 wing car windtunnel model

#11644 Motocar

Motocar

• 736 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:27

Motocar, could you please quote the source of this drawing? Thanks.
I suspect I know, but I just would like confirmation.

I read in "Taringa" web, in spanish lenguage:

http://www.taringa.n...-_Wing-Car.html

And:

http://www.f1rejects...p...9&start=880

Success for all

#11645 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:41

Posted Image
McLaren MP4-17. Artist, P.D'Alessio.

#11646 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:41

Posted Image
Ferrari/Pininfarina Mythos. Artist, Betti (Giulio or Bruno).

#11647 badQ

badQ

• 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:49

АМО-Ф-15 '1924-1931
It was the first serial produced truck in USSR (based on the Fiat 15-TER).

cutaway by Yurij Dolmatovsky & Eduard Molchanov
Posted Image

#11648 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:36

A Sauber F1 cutaway in full size

http://www.tgdaily.c...cks-car-in-half

#11649 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 19:16

A Sauber F1 cutaway in full size

Wow !!! how many Saubers have been cut open this year ?

#11650 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 21:50

Posted Image
Williams FW24. Artist, P.D'Alessio.