• Please log in to reply
2964 replies to this topic

#601 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,303 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 10:59

Many thanks for the encouragements.
Selfpublishing would mean
translation: my english is... what it is, in any case far away from good enough for a book;
layout: a lot of work, but possible;
looking for a printer: phone book is full;
and distribution: simply missing.
The distribution is the important point, and I don’t see any solution for it.
That the financial return is minimal or even nonexistent is evident.
= = = = = =
Factuality: there are a lot of new facts about the technical evolution in general, the voiturette racers, the origins of the Peugeot, the origins of the Mercedes, of course data tables, and a lot of unpublished photos.

To give an idea of the text and facts is difficult. A chapter as sample is without connection.
I ‘ll open a new thread under the title “Mercédès – origins of a name”, by using a longer introduction resembling a magazine article. Please don’t forget that my english implies loss of vivacity.

Advertisement

#602 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,016 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 11:35

Robert: check your Personal Messages :)

#603 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,323 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 11:44

Robert - aber deine Englisch its besser als meine Deutsch! Zusammen wir koennen die texte gut machen in Englisch.

If you understand what I mean.......

#604 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 15:44

Robert, we are waiting. :wave:

Sounds very interesting, may I can give you a contact in switzerland, maybe, please sent me an email, and than we can discuss it in German.

#605 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 17:07

Originally posted by robert dick
.....Selfpublishing would mean
translation: my english is... what it is, in any case far away from good enough for a book;
layout: a lot of work, but possible;
looking for a printer: phone book is full;
and distribution: simply missing.....

Robert, a belated welcome at TNF. It is a revelation to see someone here who is so involved in this particular era. I followed your posts with great interests. It looks like you are or are trying to be your own Literary Agent. If you want to publish you probably will end up with an agent sooner or later. I would try to get my own agent but I don’t know how these things work in Germany. You may be able to get good advise from people like Halwart Schrader or Schröder & Weise folks, which have always been extremely helpful. :)

#606 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 20:58

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
Robert, a belated welcome at TNF. It is a revelation to see someone here who is so involved in this particular era. I followed your posts with great interests (...)

He found it. Hans I knew, this would be a great new entry for you. :lol:

#607 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 23:21

Saw my first race Bathurst 1949 aged 10, but hooked before that listening to BBC
Isle of Man T.T. radio broadcasts, Doppler effect thumper four stroke noises behind the commentator's voice sparking the imagination of a small boy living then on the edge of the Australian desert.The disease has been with me ever since .
Avid spectator from 1949, read every book and magazine I could find,began to develop an intense interest in motor racing history particularly Australian , until reality in the form of poverty intervened and I went and did other things, looking over the fence occasionally.After my body decided out of serious Rugby I was persuaded by the notorious Rob Rowe into rebuilding and racing a Historic car and that led to the next 30+ years obsession/same disease as before.Did EVERYTHING available, including co-founding Australia's first All Historic race meeting, founding editor of the Historic Newsletter,racing all the time , doing a bit of historic racing journalism ( including for Racing Car News that Ray Bell wrote for, and for Barry Lake's short-lived Cars and Drivers Australia), doing commentary at various meetings usually in company with Golden Tonsils John Cummins,and writing a book on racing 1938 - 1973 at Bathurst ,publishers being the lovely Jill Armstrong (whose mother went to Bathurst prewar with Frazer Nash driver Tim Joshua) and the somewhat less lovely Paul Armstrong(whose father raced in early Australian Grands Prix and whose grandfather was the earliest car owner in Western Australia ,in 1899). And some of the colouring in was done by that artistic desperate Brian Caldersmith, who spannered for Ron Flockhart in Australia in the 1960s...fine history threads running through it all.
These days I live in happy retirement 100 metres from the sea on the sunny NSW Central Coast,the house renovations are nearly finished, I'm getting our two racing cars ready for Wakefield Park in 2 weeks' time ( the lovely Julie drives the Nota Formula Junior I've raced for 30 years, and I an Alvis-chassised Frazer Nash imitation built in 1936 in Adelaide but now with Ford V8 power),the next car is an Elfin 'Catalina' half-built, I'm looking into an aero-engined beast( Doug Nye's Mephistopheles article has a lot to answer for!), and I spend far too much time on TNF.

#608 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 23:41

Welcome to TNF, John. As you may have found out already there are quite a few of folks from your continent amongst us. Happy to see another scribe joining us amateurs. :)

#609 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,016 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 23:41

Welcome John - your reputation precedes you! Presumably it was Ray's continual nagging that finally persuaded you to abandon lurker status .... :)

Greetings from the top side of the world! (Why should the Antipodeans be the only ones to welcome you anyway?) :wave:

#610 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 23:46

Richard, is it not bedtime where you live? :confused:

#611 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,016 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 23:55

Richard, is it not bedtime where you live? :confused:

Only 11.50, and I don't have to get up early tomorrow. I'm sitting here with a large medicinal cognac (I have a cold - any excuse!) waiting for the cricket from Australia to start .... not that England have much of a chance in this Test - although I might as well be talking in Farsi for all you'd understand!

[Bizarre - talking about cricket to a German living in Hawaii: the wonders of the Internet!]

#612 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 00:23

Originally posted by Vitesse2
.....although I might as well be talking in Farsi for all you'd understand!

[Bizarre - talking about cricket to a German living in Hawaii: the wonders of the Internet!]

Richard, you'll be surprised to hear that - while still in my younger years - during my ten years in South Africa, I have played this game myself a few times, when I was not in the bush stalking rhino, cape buffolo or elephants for close-up pictures.

#613 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 01:40

Robert, I guess this is obvious, but I'll suggest Paul Pietsch-Verlage GmbH & Co. I have a (limited audience, one might say) book in whose publishing they participated (with Weltbild Verlag GmbH and Chemnitzer Verlg und Druck GmbH)... Hope it helps.

#614 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 02:46

Richard, you'll be surprised to hear that - while still in my younger years - during my ten years in South Africa, I have played this game myself a few times, when I was not in the bush stalking rhino, cape buffolo or elephants for close-up pictures.

And here I was thinking you were just a Gentleman Surfer...

John Medley has started to let his hair down with this 'introductions' post, now we just have to keep him interested enough to squander his time on TNF...

#615 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 03:58

Originally posted by Ray Bell
.....And here I was thinking you were just a Gentleman Surfer.....

Ray - I am actually not very good at surfing and have also developed a fear of sharks. Usually I am the first one out of the water when one appears. I did the same while diving in South Africa, where they have great spots off the Zululand coast. What a blast I had.

#616 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:15

I suppose that I should be as forthcoming.

Not old enough really to be able to contribute as much as many of you, but happy to lurk and soak up knowledge.

Born in 1962 and was at the first ever Oran Park open race meeting three weeks later. My Dad knew Ray Bell in the sixties. Dad was racing at Oran Park that weekend in 1962 in a touring car. He raced them until about 1966 and then a Formula Vee for a short time.

I have done some writing for Racing Car News and other Australian publications. Now I have a column in Motor Racing Australia - an easier one than Ray's, all I have to do is scribble a few lines about model cars - he does real research. I also do the occasional feature story, often with a humourous bent (hopefully) like this one: http://www.mullet.com.au (follow the "Alienz" link)

I have played around with rally cars but ran out of Gemini body shells and money. (That's an Opel Ascona in Europe). I now compete in motorkhanas in a Mazda 323 - small things amuse small - um - wallets.

Married with a daughter. Two dogs, five cars (two going), three trailers and all of BS Levy's Buddy Palumbo books - the last one autographed.

Thanks for having me. I'll be in to make smart-arse comments from time to time.

Bruce Moxon

#617 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,303 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 11:50

Publishers – Pietsch/Motorbuch Verlag/Schrader/etc...
Many thanks again for all the help.
The managress of Motorbuch agreed to publish the subject a few years ago. That’s why I started to write it. The agreement was cancelled. Reason: “The Geman book market is dead.”
= = = = = =
John Medley ... aero-engine beast:
Please open a thread about these vehicles.

#618 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 11:58

Originally posted by robert dick
“The Geman book market is dead.”
= = = = = =
John Medley ... aero-engine beast:
Please open a thread about these vehicles.

It is dead, that'r right, I eard they sold only 70% compared to 2001. And a high exclusive book project like roberts, has not so much chances in those children picture books which are often published, with the wrong picture descriptions. The best chance is to write the 25th book about Schuhmacher and the season 2002, may with a poster inside, signed by the champion in a limited edition. :rotfl:

#619 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 17:28

Bruce .... ?

I have it on very good authority that no Antipodean is actually called Bruce, Bruce.

Yr Frnd

Sheila.

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#620 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 21:57

:wave:

Sorry, I'm definitely called Bruce. Bruce Robert in fact. Damn this Scottish ancestry. Given my colouring I probably should have be something Norwegian. Oh, hang on, Bruce is from Normandy, nest c'est pas?

So it's Norwegian anyway. Whatever.

And the only Sheila I ever knew was from England. Go figure.

Nice to be here

Moxo (much simpler that way)

#621 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 22:07

.....and have also developed a fear of sharks.....

Is this something one has to cultivate?

I always thought it was innate, something instinctively built into us, a kind of a preservation mode we go into when we see huge teeth...

Oh, Bruce... with the way Aussies call women 'shielas' it's no wonder, really, that the name is avoided in our family circles.

#622 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 02:23

Originally posted by Bladrian
Bruce .... ?

I have it on very good authority that no Antipodean is actually called Bruce, Bruce.

:rotfl:

Quite a common name actually.

Once, when I was on an Australian motoring media trip to Sweden to see and drive new Volvos, introductions were being made of Aussies to Swedes and vice versa.

By coincidence, first two Aussies introduced were named Bruce. The Swede looked puzzled and asked, "Are all Australians called Bruce?"

Next day, meeting a new batch of Volvo people, someone had the impromptu idea to introduce ALL the Australians as Bruce + Real Family Name. It took quite some time before the Swedes caught on. Then they thought it was so funny they almost smiled (Australian/Swedish joke. :) )

But, to show they are not completely humourless, the Volvo people, for the rest of the trip, began introducing themselves as "Sven" + Real Family Name.

Remembering names has never been a strong point of mine. Aussie = Bruce and Swede = Sven worked fine for me.

#623 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 06:20

That reminds me. An uncle of mine, a Royal Marine Commando during WWII, spent some time in the Scandihoovian countries. He told me he came away with a lasting impression that every second person there was called 'Johansson' ...... :D

#624 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 21:57

Yeah... that Johann was a busy guy!

What about his mate, Eric? Now there's someone you could call home about!

#625 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 22:13

Yes, it's a problem! You should see our phone-books, Andersson, Pettersson, Johansson, Svensson...
I am happy my father found out a new name in the 40's. Otherwise I would be just another Stefan Andersson which is the name of thousands of Swedes.

Stefan (Örnerdal)

#626 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 22:24

Hello folks!

I've been a silent member of this great site for some time and now I thought it was about time I introduced myself. My name is Jonas Fröjd. I'm 22 years old and live in the university city Lund in the very south of Sweden. Here I study Engineering Physics and Business Administration.

I've been a fan of old cars and motorcycles literally all my life since I was brought up among such vehicles and very early learned to appreciate their often simple yet fascinating technology.

My main interest when it comes to cars would lie in sports and racing cars from mid 20's to early 60's. Although absolutely marvelled by the german masterpieces from Mercedes-Benz and Auto-Union of the mid and late 30's I would say that prewar 8-cylinder Alfa Romeos are closest to my heart. This mainly because I was brought up with one in my family. My grandfather used to own a completely original Monza. Unfortunately the cars is no longer in the family. Of course I dream of being able to buy it back one day!
On the other hand I'm still lucky enough to be able to take out a few historic motorcycles for a spin, both on track and on road!

Oh, well. That was a brief introduction to why I have become interested in this field and of course also to way I appreciate this site so much! Even if I most often can't contribute with much to the discussions, I find it very interesting to follow them and see how fragments of knowledge are put together and form a more or less complete picture!

Best regards,
Jonas Fröjd

#627 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 23:52

Welcome aboard, Jonas! Engineering Physics and Business Administration...sounds like a potent combination to me. As a newcomer myself, I look forward to your input.

#628 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:02

Originally posted by Jonas
.....Unfortunately the car is no longer in the family. Of course I dream of being able to buy it back one day!.....

Welcome Jonas...

I guess it wasn't this one?'

Posted Image

...maybe you could buy this one instead and take it on a nostalgic trip to Lobethal and Bathurst one day?

#629 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 09:54

Ray, you're right! It wasn't that one. But I wouldn't have said no to be able to take this car for a spin an early sunday morning either. =)

#630 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 09:55

Love the pic, by the way!

#631 Zagato

Zagato

• 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 10:36

I am Peter Radcliffe, from Cornwall. My user name Zagato refers to my love of Zagato coachwork having had two such bodied Bristols in the past. 54 years of age with a wife 18 years younger who missed what in my opinion was the golden age of motor racing before sponsorship and big money removed the sport. Together we share a passion for sportscars and regularly attend Le Mans in some working capacity. The Goodwood Revival is our other must event every year.
Earliest Motor racing memory Moss winning Monaco in 1961 and then regular cycling trips to Silverstone for F1 and F2 events as a boy. Highlight a day scived off school spent with Jimmy Ckark which my parents never heard about till I was well over 40!
Last GP 1967 and no desire to go again!
Le Mans was a dream from 1961 which was finally achieved as a honeymoon in 97 and we go every year now at least to the test weekend.
Occupation;
1) Part time pensioner early retired from Dentistry which I do a couple of days a week now visiting elderly at home.
2) Editor of www.amazing43.com a website all about the resin and white metal model car hobby.
3) Merrymeet Model Cars www.mmcars.co.uk is our business retailing model cars, Le Mans is our speciality
4) South West Model Cars a partner in a company that has just started to manufacture a range of 43rd scale resin model car kits
Regards
Peter Radcliffe

#632 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:41

Peter, I hope you're a Dan Gurney fan...

Welcome to our happy home. Please post often. Which GP of 1967, by the way?

Jonas... I wouldn't have said no to just seeing it on a Sunday morning!

#633 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:49

Originally posted by Jonas
Although absolutely marvelled by the german masterpieces from Mercedes-Benz and Auto-Union of the mid and late 30's I would say that prewar 8-cylinder Alfa Romeos are closest to my heart. This mainly because I was brought up with one in my family. My grandfather used to own a completely original Monza. Unfortunately the cars is no longer in the family. Of course I dream of being able to buy it back one day!
On the other hand I'm still lucky enough to be able to take out a few historic motorcycles for a spin, both on track and on road!

JONAS,welcome here on TNF, I read you like the 30s, this will help in some discussions on TNF. There are interesting threads about this great era of motorsport. So join us, support us, and give us some interesting new views on the Alfas (And the Auto Unions, which are my favourites).

May you have interesting material, which is always welcome.

#634 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 18:43

A very warm welcome to Jonas and Peter.

Peter, you are only the second person to arrive at TNF who I knew before you joined.

I can now ask even more pointless questions about models........

#635 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 21:44

Welcome indeed - I second everything that Ray, Holger, Barry et al have just said above....

DCN

#636 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:28

I'm amazed at how few Californians there seem to be on this forum, so here goes.

I'm Anton Krivanek, born 12/13/1938 in Los Angeles, CA. My father was a Cadillac salesman in the late '30s and continued selling cars all his life. As a soon as I could talk, they tell(told) me, I could name all of the cars on the road- Fords, Chevys, Packards, Moons, Dorts etc.
My father took me to my first race at Gilmore stadium in LA right after WW2. The Mighty Midgets- single seaters on a 1/4 mile dirt oval. Mostly Ford V8"60" powered, the Offies were just starting to take over. A few years later I moved to Santa Barbara, CA with my mother who was divorced by then.By 1952 I had a stepfather and he bought the first MGTD MK II in the area and we joined the Four Cylinder Club of America, the local sports car club. One of the local rich guys had an Oldsmobile powered J2 Allard and then a C-type Jag. God, what a beautiful car that was!
Back in LA a few years later I went to one of the first races held at the new Willow Springs track in the desert nearby. No Willows, No Springs, but Ferraris, Maseratis, Alfas, Jags and lots of wonderful specials powered by virtually every automotive engine you could think of.
By the late '50s I was involved with the California Sports Car Club, or Cal Club as it was known locally, as a scrutineer. That way I got into the races free and saw and met many drivers, owners, mechanics and patrons. Me and my mates had an unfortunate tendency to get shitfaced drunk on raceday and miss most of the racing, though.
After many working as a tool and die maker I had a mid-life crisis and ended up with an ex-wife, a 300 sq. foot apartment and a small business restoring and race-preparing vintage cars. I've always loved Italian cars and I specialised in Fiat and SIATA 8Vs. I couldn't afford to buy the cars so I managed to get people to let me work on and occaisionally race theirs. Sometimes they even paid me!
My first F1 race was the US Grand Prix in 1960 at Riverside. At the start I was standing on a log behind the hay bales on the outside of turn one about 25 or 30 feet from the cars as they turned in to the corner. I wish I'd owned a camera in those days!
My favorite F1 car? 1947-50 Talbot-Lago, Lancia D50 and the BRM 16. I still have the Stanley Schofield Sound Stories album with the incredible sound of that BRM- "to live in the memory like this" he says .........
Road cars? 12 cyl Ferraris up to about 1963 and Fiat 8Vs.
Driver? Fangio. Amazing talent and equally, a gentleman. I once had his autograph....on my driver's license.
I'm planning to go to the Nurburgring next spring to fulfill a lifelong fantasy and drive around the Nordschleif- after taking care of my client's 8V Zagato on the Mille Miglia Storica.
I find modern F1 extremely frustrating so I'm delighted to have found this group(thanks to Mick Walsh).
Other interests- my 3 daughters, one stepdaughter, 7 grandchildren and my lovely and understanding wife. Music, from Billie Holliday to Trio Los Panchos to Brian Eno to J. S. Bach and I still love to drive anything of interest I can get my hands on.
Currently I've got a '94 Q45, '65 Ford Ranchero and a '29 Ford Tudor sedan.
Also 1/2 interest in a Minerva and a late '50s sports racer called an Echidna.
I think I'd better shut up and go to bed now. I'm just ramblin' away.
Usually,
Anton

#637 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:43

Well, as a welcoming gesture, I'll give you a pic of one of your favourite cars...

...but I'll bet you won't pick the corner or the competition...

Posted Image

Look forward to hearing a lot about those Specials you remember... there's a thread around here that's terribly undersubscribed on the subject!

#638 dmj

dmj

• 2,253 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 11:37

Originally posted by antonvrs
Also 1/2 interest in a Minerva and a late '50s sports racer called an Echidna.

It is strange - just last night I saw advertisement for one of three apparently ever built Echidnas and planned to search TNF and Web for more about these great looking vehicles, maybe starting a thread. Now, your mention of it seems to be first ever in TNF and I didn't start Googling yet... Maybe you can provide us an inside view of Echidna story?

#639 Jordi #99

Jordi #99

• 90 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 23:11

Well I'm Jordi Domènech Montané, I was born 17 years ago on July 14th. It was a Sunday, but there was no F1 race.

I first got interested on racing in '93, when I saw the F1 Monaco GP. I became a fan of Damon Hill, and later of Jacques Villeneuve.

Let's say it clear: I'm interested in virtually everything with wheels (even the IRL :rolleyes: ) and from any era, from the tricycles to the latest technical features

and I love hearing stories from all of you!

Jordi

PS: the #99 in my nick is in Greg Moore's honor.

Advertisement

#640 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 00:49

Ray Bell wrote:
"...but I'll bet you won't pick the corner or the competition..."

It'll be strictly a guess on my part- east coast of the US..............., maybe Put-in-Bay?

Usually,
Anton

#641 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:02

I'm amazed at how few Californians there seem to be on this forum...

We're here... just flying below the radar... Welcome to TNF!

By any chance, were you at the Fabulous Fifties function at the Peterson last week? There were many from the Cal Club organization there... You should check it out if you haven't yet, you'd be an instant inductee.

#642 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:24

"...but I'll bet you won't pick the corner or the competition..."

It'll be strictly a guess on my part- east coast of the US..............., maybe Put-in-Bay?

Usually,
Anton

No, actually it's not...

It's the corner onto the main street... err... straight at Woodside in South Australia.

The race is the first ever F1 race held in Australia (and the next time one was held, as far as I can find, was at Adelaide, just down the road 30km or so, in 1985... 34 years later!) which was won by Stan Jones (Alan's dad) in the Maybach Special.

#643 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:38

Ray Bell Wrote;

"No, actually it's not...

It's the corner onto the main street... err... straight at Woodside in South Australia.

The race is the first ever F1 race held in Australia (and the next time one was held, as far as I can find, was at Adelaide, just down the road 30km or so, in 1985... 34 years later!) which was won by Stan Jones (Alan's dad) in the Maybach Special."

Fooled me! I thought that you folks down under drove on the other side of the road so seeing the '50 Ford on the right side.............
The car behind the Talbot did look very Australian to me- what is it?
Usually,
Anton

#644 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:44

Originally posted by rdrcr

We're here... just flying below the radar... Welcome to TNF!

By any chance, were you at the Fabulous Fifties function at the Peterson last week? There were many from the Cal Club organization there... You should check it out if you haven't yet, you'd be an instant inductee.

Thanks Richard, no, I didn't make it to that one but I took the 8V Zagato that I look after to the event at Paramount Ranch last month(or whenever that was).

Usually,
Anton

#645 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 02:04

Anton and Jordi, welcome to what IMHO is the best forum on the web! We look forward to your input and observations. But beware: TNF can really cut into your sleep time!

Anton, we have a fair amount in common, not the least of which is the same birth year and the same first exposure to the wonderful world of motorsport. Mine was midgets on the east coast, summer 46, and I still have a very soft spot in my heart for them. I ran across a 1946 Kurtis Offy midget at a vintage meet a few years back and must've spent a good hour drooling over it.

I think you'll love the Nordschleife. Tho' it's been over 40 years since I last white-knuckled my way around there, those motoring memories still rank among my fondest.

#646 Jordi #99

Jordi #99

• 90 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 17:32

Originally posted by Lotus23
TNF can really cut into your sleep time!

That's not a problem... everything for racing! Even non sleeping!

#647 Phil Harms

Phil Harms

• 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 19:10

It appears the appropriate thing to do is to introduce ones self to this forum, so permit me to do so.

I'm Phil Harms, age 64 and live in Yorba Linda, California. Yorba Linda's only claim to fame is being the birthplace of Richard Nixon (I hope this is an apolitical forum) and 15 minutes from Disneyland. I work for Boeing, designing computer systems for satellites. I've lived in Southern California since 1965; I was born and raised in Southern Indiana and saw my first race, the Indianapolis 500, in 1952.

I seem to always have had an interest in auto racing history --- it took a few years to discover there were races other than the 500. I gradually built up a collection of historical racing photos and negatives that now numbers slightly over 10,000. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to post an image and be able to add illustrating information to my postings.

I also seem to have this thing about accumulating racing statistics, which has become much more practical with the development of the PC and comprehensive data base software. I started with a typewriter but would never have stayed with it; the PC and a good software programming language is a powerful tool. Since all of my photos and negatives are also catalogued on the computer, searches take seconds.

It is obvious this forum is directed more towards the European forms of racing but that really doesn't suprise me. I have some champ data on the website motorsport.com and I usually receive several emails a week questioning or seeking information on US open wheel racing. I would imagine 80% of the email is from Europe, with the balance mostly from outside the US. Ir is rare to receive anything from the US. I'm afraid we Americans have little respect or interest in our racing heritage. And there certainly has been nothing published to record the statistical records. I had often felt I would one day publish a series of books on the records of US open wheel racing --- something like the Sheldon series -- but the expense of self-publishing makes that unlikely. Maybe I'll just put 4,000 pages on a CD and do it that way.

While my knowledge of European racing history is limited, I find the subject fascinating and this forum will be a welcomed learning tool. I've always felt Gerald Rose's history of early motor racing to be one of the finest racing books ever written.

I've co-authored one book --- the history of the Santa Monica Road Races --- and helped with several dozen others. I've provided stats, photos and proofreading for all of Dick Wallen's books and many others. I've always felt the index is an important part of any racing book and have done many over the years. Maybe that is just the researching instincts in me. I've had a standing offer for several years to do an index for any to-be-published racing book.

Enough of this blabber. Thanks for the welcome; I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

#648 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 20:01

Phil, Anton, Zagato, Jordi and all those who have joined us lately -- Welcome to the Nostalgia Forum! I hope that you enjoy being glued to your screen because TNF can do that to you!

Phil,

Yes, there is a heavy Euro leaning to much here, but there is still a vibrant group pursuing the crannies and potholes of America's Racing Heritage. I, for one, would be more than happy to purchase a CD from you with the information you have gathered over the years. If you just scanned the relevant pages from The Automobile, Motor Age, and other similar magazines to accompany your wonderful stats, there are some of us who would be in Seventh Heaven....

Welcome Aboard!

#649 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 22:39

Hi Phil-
We're the same age and live maybe an hour or so apart. I have a copy of your book on the Santa Monica road races, a subject which always fascinated me since I grew up in that area and still live within 1/4 mile of Santa Monica airport.
I have a friend who owns a'32 Studie Indy car and I've been looking for a similar car for a number of years now.

Hi Zagato-
I too have a love of Zagato bodied cars, especially the Fiat 8Vs and of those, especially the 5 "double bubble" bodies. I spent a considerable part of the last 7 or 8 years restoring the ex-Elio Zagato 8VZ - # 000 084. We're planning to run it in the Mille Miglia Storica this year.
Usually,
Anton

#650 MarkWill

MarkWill

• 489 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 01:19

Hi Phil,

Our "real job" has some commonality. Welcome to the really best forum I have found - this is a good family.