5015 replies to this topic

#3301 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 13:23

Originally posted by Twin Window
Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Posted Image

It's obviously the Willies enclave in the paddock at Silverstone during the '73 British GP, but that bloke in the overalls was some form of actor or model. It was fairly chaotic in there - I think they were an Italian crew - with raised voices and much arm-waving, but I've never found out what exactly it was all about!

The driver with the yellow helmet I think is Graham McRae.

Advertisement

#3302 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 14:58

Originally posted by sterling49

The guy with the "Stetson", surely too tall for Little Art?

Indeed; that's another actor/model and - as you say - too tall to be Merzario, plus the stetson is the 'wrong' colour, no sponsors patches on the arms and he was driving for Ferrari that season (although from memory not entered at Silverstone...) ;)

Originally posted by alansart

The driver with the yellow helmet I think is Graham McRae.

McRae's '73 helmet was like this (until he changed the yellow for dark blue at the last F5000 race)...

Posted Image
(my pic)

...as can be seen here, although it looks like the bottom band has been taped-over...

Posted Image
(Forix pic)

...and the overalls were cream, as seen both above and below...

Posted Image
(David Beard pic)

However, he did do some laps during the weekend in the actor's lid...

Posted Image
(Luc Ghys pic)

...but kept his usual overalls on. This was presumably to achieve what they did in Grand Prix and use footage implying the driver was someone else - in this case whoever the actor's character was supposed to be. In both my original pic and Luc's you can see what looks to be a name written under the AGV logo which is presumably that of the character in question.

On the actor's 'prop' helmet the two prominent logos are AGV and Marlboro, so perhaps they offer clues as to what the filming was all about?

Alan, it's definitely not McRae as I watched for fifteen minutes of so, but that's the only pic I took.

#3303 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 17:01

MARCH did start from pole in their first GP, (South Africa) but did not win until Spain.

#3304 don hodgdon

don hodgdon

• 125 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 22:22

I was experimenting with my scanner and 4x5 black and white negatives.

This is another of my step-father's images from the Santa Barbara Road Races, circa 1954(?)

Posted Image

Close up of the two men visible in the image:

Posted Image

#3305 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:11

Originally posted by Twin Window

Indeed; that's another actor/model and - as you say - too tall to be Merzario, plus the stetson is the 'wrong' colour, no sponsors patches on the arms and he was driving for Ferrari that season (although from memory not entered at Silverstone...) ;)

McRae's '73 helmet was like this (until he changed the yellow for dark blue at the last F5000 race)...

Posted Image
(my pic)

...as can be seen here, although it looks like the bottom band has been taped-over...

Posted Image
(Forix pic)

...and the overalls were cream, as seen both above and below...

Posted Image
(David Beard pic)

However, he did do some laps during the weekend in the actor's lid...

Posted Image
(Luc Ghys pic)

...but kept his usual overalls on. This was presumably to achieve what they did in Grand Prix and use footage implying the driver was someone else - in this case whoever the actor's character was supposed to be. In both my original pic and Luc's you can see what looks to be a name written under the AGV logo which is presumably that of the character in question.

On the actor's 'prop' helmet the two prominent logos are AGV and Marlboro, so perhaps they offer clues as to what the filming was all about?

Alan, it's definitely not McRae as I watched for fifteen minutes of so, but that's the only pic I took.

Just me adding 2+2 and making 5! A reasonable guess and it does look a bit like McRae from behind (and it's beside his car).

#3306 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 20:31

Originally posted by alansart

Just me adding 2+2 and making 5! A reasonable guess and it does look a bit like McRae from behind (and it's beside his car).

Must be one of the first examples of a sponsor band around a drivers helmet. No self respecting racer from Karts upwards is without it these days.

Todd

#3307 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,345 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 22:19

I remember a photo of Jochen Rindt in a Lotus 49 at the 1969 Dutch GP, with a brand new, white Bell Star that had "This $pace to Let" on the side of it. I think drivers have always been in search of an extra dollar.

Brian

#3308 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 16:33

Posted Image
Giovanna Amati
Giovanna was the last female to attempt to race at the Formula One level, driving a Brabham in the 1992 season.

Lella Lombardi holds the record for the most starts by a female at 12. She had 17 entries.
Here is a nice tribute to Lella:

Photo posted for Rodney Dodson

#3309 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 16:49

Originally posted by kayemod
He says that Keith was one of the first racing people to take wheel design seriously, ...

Following on from BRM!! They commisioned Norris Bros (later to design both the Bluebird K7 hydroplane, and the Bluebird CN7 land speed car) to design their wheels as early as 1962. I archived all of Ken Norris' paperwork some years ago, and was staggered as to the lengths he went to for weight saving, strength and cooling effect, and I suspect he wasn't alone!

#3310 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:20

Originally posted by Jerry Entin

posted for Rodney Dodson

...specially for Tommy!

:rotfl:

#3311 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 21:33

Yes my friend from Dundalk should appreciate this.

again thanks to Jerry

#3312 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:54

Posted Image
John Surtees Lola T-70 at Elkhart Lake CanAm in 1967.
Malcolm Malone at the back of the car in red shirt. John Surtees behind the car in shirt and blue pants.
John Surtees would finish 3rd. Race won by Denis Hulme.

photo Tom Schultz - copyright 2008 Tom Schultz.

#3313 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 13:05

How simple (and nice!) things were back then. First of all, notice that Team Surtees consists of one small Ford Econoline van, the race car, one mechanic, and one driver. No immense transporter with awning, rubber floor, platoon of mechanics, motor coach, field kitchen, tons of spares, hospitality area, and the usual security fences, guards, etc. So much simpler! This was when the main Road America paddock was essentially just a big open field behind the rather rudimentary pits.

I wandered the paddock that day with my camera and snapped lots of slides. I wandered up to Big John and casually engaged him in conversation. Imagine being able to do that today. I also chatted with Denny Hulme and even though I asked him what in retrospect was a dumb question (Are you going to win the championship?) he politely answered all my questions.

This was the first Can Am at Road America and I spent three days at the track. I was still in my youth, taking a bit of time off from my Army duties, as I always arranged leave to coincide with Road America weekends.That way I have kept my string going to where it is now every race except for a couple June Sprints since 1958. But I digress. I wandered the paddock with my camera, slack jawed at seeing all these great cars and drivers up close. The new McLaren M6As! Hordes of Lola T-70s! John Surtees! Jim Hall! Bruce McLaren! Dan Gurney! Denis Hulme! The Chaparral 2G! Penske Racing with two T-70s for Mark Donohue and George Follmer! Peter Revson! Lothar Motschenbacher! Skip Scott! Charlie Hayes! And on and on. It was a simply marvelous weekend for me and capped the best eight days of my young spectating life, as this Road America weekend came just days after I had driven to Mosport for the first GP of Canada, where I saw F-1 for the first time in my life.

Friends, it is a cliche, but those were the days!

Tom

#3314 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 14:01

Posted Image
Giovanna Amati's car being worked on in the day.

Giovanna is at the back of the car, one of the crew members was the Forum's Rodney Dodson.
Rodney Dodson has also worked with Desire Wilson, Davina Galicia, and Roxie Lott. Do you think he was a bit of a Ladies man in his day?

The team was called G J-Bromely that ran the car. They also ran F-3000 cars for Dave Coyne and Alain Plasch. This was in 1991.
The Bromley Team had been very successful in the past with Roberto Moreno and David Brabham in the F-3000 series.

photo Rodney Dodson collection.

#3315 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 18:54

Posted Image
Graham Warren the G of G J Motorsport with cigar in mouth.
Rodney Dodson feels Warren fancied himself as the Indy car type owner, Ala Carl Haas with Cigar in mouth all the time.

Photo Rodney Dodson collection.

#3316 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 19:31

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
[Rodney Dodson feels Warren fancied himself as the Indy car type owner, Ala Carl Haas with Cigar in mouth all the time.

Didn't the Carl Haas cigar stay forever unlit? That's what Eric Broadley told me thirty something years ago.

#3317 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 19:46

All I remember about Graham and his beloved cigars they were a brand "Romeo et Julietta" and bloody expensive considering he could burn away 20 a day of these mobile chimneys in fact he gave up for 2 months and with the money saved he purchased a small jeep like 4x4 then started to smoke them again!

I am not sure what happened to Graham his brother Jim carried on and was very instrumental in Jenson Button s career, but Graham was not a bad sole and good company especially when we were in Europe there was a fun time in Lisboa but better not go into all that!

#3318 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,345 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 22:46

"Didn't the Carl Haas cigar stay forever unlit?" kayemod

I've never seen one lit in the pits or garages at the racetrack(s). Elsewhere, I don't know. He has a tendancy to chew on them. At certain races with greater distance, or with plenty of anxious moments for his team, I've seen Mr. Haas swap ends so he can get a fresh start on the dry end. I love a good cigar, I've chewed on cigars, but I've never tried that trick!

Brian

#3319 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:26

Originally posted by f1steveuk

Following on from BRM!! They commisioned Norris Bros (later to design both the Bluebird K7 hydroplane, and the Bluebird CN7 land speed car) to design their wheels as early as 1962. I archived all of Ken Norris' paperwork some years ago, and was staggered as to the lengths he went to for weight saving, strength and cooling effect, and I suspect he wasn't alone!

On the basis that there is nothing new, howsabout Etorre Bugatti's alloy wheels on the 1924 GP Bugatti?
Or, come to think of it, Renault's detachable rims in 1906 (or thereabouts!)

Advertisement

#3320 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:56

A rather nice shot by my friend David Betts, who really should be here his self.
Brands 1966. Tony Rudd, JYS, Bette Hille. But who is the bloke in the titfer?

Posted Image

#3321 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 14:33

The late Ron Frost, one-time FIA vice-president and perennial negotiator of international drivers for the Tasman Series

#3322 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 14:53

Posted Image
Ian Ashley at Snetterton

photo - Rodney Dodson collection.

#3323 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 16:58

Posted Image
Lola T90 Cosworths at Oulton Park
These cars were run by the John MacDonald Team.
Called The Superpower Team.

Posted Image
Jari Nurminen at Nurburgring car is Spice/Cosworth

Jari Nurminen was a very good driver who came out of ice car racing into Scandinavian F3 then the European F3 and eventually to F3000. He was suppose to get a ride at Arrows Formula One and that fell through at the last moment when he wasn't issued a Super license. A very nice guy who still races Ferrari's to this day.

photos- Rodney Dodson collection.

#3324 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 17:15

Sorry Jerry my mistake this was John McDonalds 2 car team in the next garage with Phil Andrews and Richard Dean(son of the late Tony dean) racing under "superpower" name.

Rodney.

#3325 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:14

Originally posted by David McKinney
The late Ron Frost, one-time FIA vice-president and perennial negotiator of international drivers for the Tasman Series

Thanks David :)

#3326 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:53

Another nice one from the 66 British GP from David Betts...

Posted Image

#3327 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:00

Originally posted by mikeC

On the basis that there is nothing new, howsabout Etorre Bugatti's alloy wheels on the 1924 GP Bugatti?
Or, come to think of it, Renault's detachable rims in 1906 (or thereabouts!)

Exactly my point!

#3328 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:23

Originally posted by David Beard
Another nice one from the 66 British GP from David Betts...

Posted Image

David,
Nice photo from David Betts....
Out of interest, is that Peter Berthon talking to Tony Rudd? Raymond Mays in the distance?
John

#3329 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:34

Originally posted by john winfield

Out of interest, is that Peter Berthon talking to Tony Rudd? Raymond Mays in the distance?
John

I thought so :)

#3330 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:46

The Superpower Lola T90/50s are owned by the Woodhouse brothers and one has been raced in Euroboss this season in original livery! Miss Amatis brief foray in to British F3000 in 1991 resulted in her having a spat with Phil Andrews (think there may have been some history there from int F3000) during testing for the ill fated Gold Cup meeting at Oulton she had some wheel banging with him resulting in Andrews car being more or less destoyed...............

#3331 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 20:10

The car was wrecked and then she walked down the pit lane and kicked him up the backside!

Feisty or what?

#3332 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 22:16

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
The car was wrecked and then she walked down the pit lane and kicked him up the backside!

I'm pretty sure she kicked him up the backside after the FIA F3000 race at Hockenheim in 1990. Seething still, apparently, she subsequently barged him off the road (at Druids) during a test session at Oulton Park.

#3333 Roland Wasscher

Roland Wasscher

• 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 17:04

Here some photos from Zolder 1999.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Roland

#3334 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 19:45

Originally posted by David Beard

I thought so :)

Are you sure that's Peter Berthon?

#3335 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 20:00

John Eason-Gibson?

#3336 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 20:01

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Roger,
I thought it might be but I'm not entirely sure. Looking more closely, it looks more like the ex-cricketer Peter May!
John

#3337 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 21:00

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Err...no, especially if Roger Clark is casting doubt :|

#3338 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 21:32

Isn't the man too tall for PB?

#3339 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 21:46

That's what I thought
And why I wondered about J E-G

Advertisement

#3340 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 14:09

Possibly engine designer Geoffrey Johnson?

Paul M

#3341 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 15:12

I just went through some older photos and found a lot of stuff from the OGP 2000.
Just finished scanning and uploading the good ones of the TGP in the pits.

Posted Image
Brabham BT 34...

Posted Image
A halfway stripped Lotus 91...

Posted Image
Ligier JS21...

You'll find those above and some more at my flickr site

There is more to come. NJoy!

#3342 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 15:19

Originally posted by Duc-Man
[B]I just went through some older photos and found a lot of stuff from the OGP 2000.
Just finished scanning and uploading the good ones of the TGP in the pits.

Ligier JS21...

Without today's very effective strengthening of monocoques generally, especially the pedal box area, I suppose it didn't really make all that much difference in a severe frontal impact, but I'm always shocked by the position of the drivers' legs in cars of this era.

#3343 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:04

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duc-Man
[B]

Posted Image
Brabham BT 34...

Love this car the original RT-1. :up:

#3344 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 15:03

Just going through some old albums and I found these (awful quality) pictures from Zolder in 1975.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3345 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 15:34

And these from a historic race meeting - probably Zolder early 1980s?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3346 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 22:00

Posted Image
Pedro Rodriguez by the Genie and that is Joe Huffaker next to Pedro.
That's the rear engined Scarab next to the Genie.

photo Kirby Guyer collection - scanned for site Dave Nicholas

#3347 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 00:20

Originally posted by Peter Morley
Posted Image

Very interesting shots, Peter. Is this the Harry Stiller Hesketh driven by Alan Jones?

#3348 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:07

Posted Image
Bruce McLaren in cowboy hat. And his Kiwi cowboy Team spoofing the Midland crowd.
That's Teddy Mayer in the front of the car. Leaning in is Wally Willmott and behind him Tyler Alexander.

Posted Image
Wally Willmott on left in front are Teddy Mayer and Tyler Alexander.
Wally said this is the first time the Team ever wore matching outfits.
Car ran Traco Olds engine. Bruce was the class of the field, he had trouble with the water hose coming a drift in the race however.

photos Kirby Guyer collection.

#3349 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:35

Posted Image
Frank Monise and his son Frankie in their Lotus 23.
photo Kirby Guyer collection

Posted Image
Forum member Mike Summers in his Frank Monise Lotus 23
This is how Frank's car looks now. Mike Summers has done a great job of making sure it is in the same configuration as it was when Frank Monise ran the car.

photo Mike Summers

#3350 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 14:54

Posted Image
John Morton in Lotus 23 and that is John Cannon in the Elva Mk 6.
The Team John Cannon drove for was Ollie Schmidt Racing.

photo Kirby Guyer collection