Photo

Motorcycle racing: 1949-1968 nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
9618 replies to this topic

#5301 Continental Circus

Continental Circus

• 432 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 18:40

Its intersting that Ralph has pulled back the twenty seconds on the EMC - surely a quicker bike than the Bulseizo ? I found something in an old mag recently wehere Tony was explaining that contrary to poular belief his Yamaha didn't seize in '63....cant though remember now what he said was the cause of his career ending crash.

Hi Russ, I can't be sure but did not Tony Godfrey encounter problems with the Yamaha which forced to stop. He then restarted then the accident happened.
Like Ernst Degner, Tony did come back racing, on a 250 British two stroke, but that spark had gone.
Roy :cat:

Advertisement

#5302 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 18:53

Posted Image Posted Image

Good Evening :wave: 1959 MZ 125 and 1960 EMC 125 . See what you mean about the Expansion Chamber, Renn :up:

#5303 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 19:01

Thanks for the direct comparison of the 2 bikes. The left engine case looks nearly interchangeable, doesn't it ? :cat:

Edited by Rennmax, 07 December 2009 - 19:02.

#5304 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 19:13

Posted Image Posted Image

Good Evening :wave: 1959 MZ 125 and 1960 EMC 125 . See what you mean about the Expansion Chamber, Renn :up:

Blimey, a finned barrel as well as water cooling..... Wasnt it around '61 that Kaaden withdrew at least some of the Mz's from the island because the altitude and atmospherics were playing havoc with them in that they keept seizing ?

How did two strokes piolts on the Island deal with the altitude changes, then and now ? Did they have to jet up over and above what was really needed just in case?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 December 2009 - 19:27.

#5305 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 19:16

Thanks for the direct comparison of the 2 bikes. The left engine case looks nearly interchangeable, doesn't it ? :cat:

You're welcome Renn. :up: I agree about the left hand cover. The piston / bore clearence must have got a bit tight with the rear facing exhaust port :eek:

#5306 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 19:35

Blimey, a finned barrel as well as water cooling..... Wasnt it around '61 that Kaaden withdrew at least some of the Mz's from the island because the altitude and atmospherics were playing havoc with them in that they keept seizing ?

How did two strokes piolts on the Island deal with the altitude changes, then and now ? Did they have to jet up over and above what was really needed just in case?

Hello Russ. you're right in 1961 Alan Shepherd and Ernst Degner were withdrawn from the 250 TT as you say due to carburation problems.

I believe ( I'm sure I will be corrected :lol: ) that the mixture was richened (is that a word??) by use of the air control. (choke i suppose) on the climb up the mountain.
Seem to remember Hugh Anderson mention it somewhere. :eek: :rolleyes:

Edited by RRT2, 07 December 2009 - 20:48.

#5307 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 20:39

Hello Russ. you're right in 1961 Alan Shepherd and Ernst Degner were withdrawn from the 250 TT as you say due to carburation problems.

I believe ( I sure I will be corrected :lol: ) that the mixture was richened (is that a word??) by use of the air control. (choke i suppose) on the climb up the mountain.
Seem to remember Hugh Anderson mention it somewhere. :eek: :rolleyes:

Spot on about the air lever.
HW

#5308 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 20:50

Spot on about the air lever.
HW

Thankyou for the confirmation , Herr Wankel :up:

#5309 Continental Circus

Continental Circus

• 432 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:00

You're welcome Renn. :up: I agree about the left hand cover. The piston / bore clearence must have got a bit tight with the rear facing exhaust port :eek:

Thats a great comparison of the two bikes. The fining was not for cooling but to stop the barrel distorting.
Dr Joe was the only state of the art design from this country. I then went to Earls Court for the bike show either 1963 or 4 and commented to a friend looking on the Yam stand. We have two disc valve bikes from the UK and here was a 50cc moped with disc valve being sold in there 100's. All was lost.
Great shots.
Roy

#5310 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:18

The fining was not for cooling but to stop the barrel distorting

:confused:

#5311 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:38

I think the principle has always been that if a stroker is jetted to run clean at sea level it will be lean at high elevation due to slightly lower air density, therefore it's better (ie safer) to jet to run clean on the mountain section and slightly rich on the lowland section.

I am waiting to be shot down in flames on this... :p

#5312 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:41

Surely it's richer up high, with the same fuel but lower air density, Mick ?

#5313 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:44

Surely it's richer up high, with the same fuel but lower air density, Mick ?

You're right of course Glen, I got it completely arse about face :rolleyes:

It must be the cheap Merlot.

Bugger.

#5314 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:54

Posted Image

Here's a close up of the other side of the EMC engine :)

#5315 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:00

Posted Image

Here's a close up of the other side of the EMC engine :)

Sorry chaps, it's not an EMC engine.

It's an MZ, just as "Doctor" Joe ran an "EMC" racer after the war which was a pre-war DKW racer.

The man was a chancer, and a bad-tempered one, to boot.

#5316 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:05

It's an MZ, just as "Doctor" Joe ran an "EMC" racer after the war which was a pre-war DKW racer.

Well I'm buggered if you havn't proven me WRONG again Larry

#5317 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:12

Ive always wondered where Dr Joe got the finance to build/construct/run his bikes

Without prying into the mans personal business i cant see him making/selling enough bikes to make the numbers stack up

Was he an enthusiastic bike builder or was it a rich mans hobby,did he have a factory with staff or was it a small operation

Either way the bikes seem very competitive and popular with top riders

Anyone shed any light?

(im just being nosey)

#5318 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:45

Thanks Larry,I feel better now.I thought it was me jumping to conclusions.
HW

#5319 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:52

I'm becoming confused: are we building a consensus here that Dr Joe merely copied the MZ's ?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 December 2009 - 22:55.

Advertisement

#5320 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 23:02

I'm becoming confused: are we building a consensus here that Dr Joe merely copied the MZ's ?

I don't think he was much of an innovator.It seems to me that the promise was seldom realised.With his Germanic connections it would not be too difficult to 'discover`things that others could not!
HW

#5321 RRT2

RRT2

• 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 23:08

The bottom end is nie on identical ,isn't it :eek:

#5322 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 23:13

I don't think he was much of an innovator.It seems to me that the promise was seldom realised.With his Germanic connections it would not be too difficult to 'discover`things that others could not!
HW

It's not a claim I've heard before Herr...... Hailwood managed third in the 125 world champs in '61 and both him and Minter scored more than a few wins on them. As an Austrian who had been in Britain from the thirties, I suppose it's possible could have had some inside info around disc valve racer development from Communist East Germany before producing his own in 1960 ? But you do have to wonder how that might have worked....

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 December 2009 - 23:17.

#5323 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:09

It's not a claim I've heard before Herr...... Hailwood managed third in the 125 world champs in '61 and both him and Minter scored more than a few wins on them. As an Austrian who had been in Britain from the thirties, I suppose it's possible could have had some inside info around disc valve racer development from Communist East Germany before producing his own in 1960 ? But you do have to wonder how that might have worked....

Russ, the story at the time was that Walter Kaaden wanted a set of Roadholders, but of course couldn't buy them (no Western currency), so a swap deal was done for a 125 MZ motor.

Read Jan Leek's MZ history, if you can get a copy - excellent book.

As for SMBH going so well on the EMC - the 125 MZ was a bloody good motor!

#5324 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:35

Good morning chaps, although out of this thread's era, I wonder about those EMCs which did so well in the Junior TT in 87 and 86, scoring a win and finishing runner up both times. (Junior, 250 oder 350 then ?? ) Any info about the engines ? Rotax tandems or something self constructed ? Thanks

Edited by Rennmax, 08 December 2009 - 08:41.

#5325 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:10

Russ, the story at the time was that Walter Kaaden wanted a set of Roadholders, but of course couldn't buy them (no Western currency), so a swap deal was done for a 125 MZ motor.

Read Jan Leek's MZ history, if you can get a copy - excellent book.

As for SMBH going so well on the EMC - the 125 MZ was a bloody good motor!

I'll stick to trying to ID riders :blush:

#5326 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:40

Good morning chaps, although out of this thread's era, I wonder about those EMCs which did so well in the Junior TT in 87 and 86, scoring a win and finishing runner up both times. (Junior, 250 oder 350 then ?? ) Any info about the engines ? Rotax tandems or something self constructed ? Thanks

As far as I know, Renn, thay were Rotax tandems.

Why change the habits of a lifetime?

;)

#5327 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:41

......" and, with the target behind them, the massive bomber levelled out, the even drone of its' four Merlins overtaking the moments of terror and panic, and reassuring the crew as they headed for home, another mission completed. Alone in the turret, his chiselled features lit by the soothing glow from the instrument panel, Russell realised....he'd been discussing .... TWO-STROKES !!" :smoking: ....

#5328 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:52

......" and, with the target behind them, the massive bomber levelled out, the even drone of its' four Merlins overtaking the moments of terror and panic, and reassuring the crew as they headed for home, another mission completed. Alone in the turret, his chiselled features lit by the soothing glow from the instrument panel, Russell realised....he'd been discussing .... TWO-STROKES !!" :smoking: ....

:rotfl: :clap:

#5329 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:58

:rotfl: :clap:

Wow,I never considered that we would be making history.
HW

#5330 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:01

Just compassion for a faulty design I guess :wave:

#5331 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:14

"Was he an enthusiastic bike builder or was it a rich mans hobby,did he have a factory with staff or was it a small operation"

i take it none of you historians have the answer :lol:

think i will go back to the nineties forum

plenty of two stroke talk over there :p

Edited by kerrowmoar, 08 December 2009 - 11:30.

#5332 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:14

"Was he an enthusiastic bike builder or was it a rich mans hobby,did he have a factory with staff or was it a small operation"

He had an 'establishment`at Bletchley IIRC,did consultancy work also.I don't think it was a big enterprise.Met a bloke with a Kreidler at Snett in the early '70s who worked for him.It was certainly quicker than my old Honda,but then most of the strokers were if they kept going!
HW

#5333 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 13:49

The early racers were built when he was connected with De Havilands, the aircraft manufacturers. I think too that he operated his own manufacturing company before and afterwards. I see from Google he was involved in car racing too , presumably stroker engined devices?

#5334 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:02

I´ve posted this on the South African thread, but I thought I´d stick it in here as well, just for those of you who don´t read all the threads.
An old friend and superb m/c racer passed away last weekend, someone many of you might have seen plying his trade on the continental circus in the 60´s.
RIP Erroll. :cry:
http://www.roadracin.../?article=38878

Edited by ex Rhodie racer 2, 08 December 2009 - 16:47.

#5335 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:09

But as the pale winter sunlight flickerd through the only partly curtained window, a warm sense of relief enveloped him as the realisation dawned that it was all a horrible dream; his eyes settled on the beautiful contours of the 7R, a print of which hung framed on his wall....ah he thought, all is right with the world.

#5336 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:10

I´ve posted this on the South African thread, but I thought I´d stick it in here as well, just for those of you who don´t read all the threads.
An old friend and superb m/c racer passed away last weekend, someone many of you might have seen plying his trade on the continental circus in the 60´s.
RIP Erroll. :cry:
http://www.roadracin.../?article=38878

That's sad news Rhodie...well remember watching him as a kid.

#5337 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:13

But as the pale winter sunlight flickerd through the only partly curtained window, a warm sense of relief enveloped him as the realisation dawned that it was all a horrible dream; his eyes settled on the beautiful contours of the 7R, a print of which hung framed on his wall....ah he thought, all is right with the world.

...And then it dropped a valve...figuratively, of course... :D

Edited by exclubracer, 08 December 2009 - 14:14.

#5338 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 16:14

As far as I know, Renn, thay were Rotax tandems.

Why change the habits of a lifetime?

;)

Guy's if you go to the other thread , i've put up the sales brochure for the Waddon , hope this helps :p

#5339 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 16:22

He then strolled down to his centrally heated garage , opened the re-inforced doors , switched off the alarm system , on with the lights , to view his stable of immaculate TZ's complimented by a couple of RG's and a DKW :up: :up:

Advertisement

#5340 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 17:43

He then strolled down to his centrally heated garage , opened the re-inforced doors , switched off the alarm system , on with the lights , to view his stable of immaculate TZ's complimented by a couple of RG's and a DKW :up: :up:

:lol: :lol: :rotfl:
HW

#5341 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 19:32

He then strolled down to his centrally heated garage , opened the re-inforced doors , switched off the alarm system , on with the lights , to view his stable of immaculate TZ's complimented by a couple of RG's and a DKW

The warm, 5000 sq m facility was bathed in bright light, reflecting from the unmarked Italian marble-tiled floor. The large, specially commissioned Don Morley photos offered colourful relief on the otherwise minimalist neutral-shaded walls.
His small team of technicians, neatly dressed in matching white shirts an dark trousers, were already at work. A brace of RGBs stood secure in the plush ex McLaren transporter. Within minutes the TZ750s and the DKW would join them.
He marveled at how his simple operation brought him so much pleasure.
His thoughts were broken by the howling Trans Atlantic startline ring tone of his iPhone
Using voice activation, he answered.
"Yes, Reg, of course, you can bring a couple of friends with you," he said eventually.
He looked forward to seeing Reg's face, and those of Digger and Croz, too, when they arrived for the private play day at Silverstone.
There was just time to catch a glimpse of the newly acquired NSR250 and NSR500 as the transporter tail door locked closed.

#5342 Stu Pidman

Stu Pidman

• 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 23:32

My vague memories of Dr Joe are that he was not short of money and operated EMC more as a hobby thing than as a business. It was based in Isleworth from memory.
I remember his Puch powered 125s that ran short open megaphones and made an ear splitting noise but didn't seem to go as fast as the noise suggested they should.
I wanted to buy one but couldn't get one.
This would have been mid 50s.
125s were like hens' teeth in those days.
With regard to Ernst Degner I have in mind reading that he was found with his throat cut and it was put down to suicide.
Maybe I'm drinking too much methanol these days.

#5343 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 23:47

My vague memories of Dr Joe are that he was not short of money and operated EMC more as a hobby thing than as a business. It was based in Isleworth from memory.
I remember his Puch powered 125s that ran short open megaphones and made an ear splitting noise but didn't seem to go as fast as the noise suggested they should.
I wanted to buy one but couldn't get one.
This would have been mid 50s.
125s were like hens' teeth in those days.
With regard to Ernst Degner I have in mind reading that he was found with his throat cut and it was put down to suicide.
Maybe I'm drinking too much methanol these days.

G'day John, how's the litle Honda coming along?

#5344 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 23:53

He then strolled down to his centrally heated garage , opened the re-inforced doors , switched off the alarm system , on with the lights , to view his stable of immaculate TZ's complimented by a couple of RG's and a DKW

The warm, 5000 sq m facility was bathed in bright light, reflecting from the unmarked Italian marble-tiled floor. The large, specially commissioned Don Morley photos offered colourful relief on the otherwise minimalist neutral-shaded walls.
His small team of technicians, neatly dressed in matching white shirts an dark trousers, were already at work. A brace of RGBs stood secure in the plush ex McLaren transporter. Within minutes the TZ750s and the DKW would join them.
He marveled at how his simple operation brought him so much pleasure.
His thoughts were broken by the howling Trans Atlantic startline ring tone of his iPhone
Using voice activation, he answered.
"Yes, Reg, of course, you can bring a couple of friends with you," he said eventually.
He looked forward to seeing Reg's face, and those of Digger and Croz, too, when they arrived for the private play day at Silverstone.
There was just time to catch a glimpse of the newly acquired NSR250 and NSR500 as the transporter tail door locked closed.

So he sighed deeply , pondering if he should take some exercise , or go for a ride on his bike , donned his leather flying jacket , goggles and Cromwell and fired up the Scott as it started to rain rather heavily . Oh , well , he said , it's the car today , which shall it be , the 1966 Saab 96 or the Wartburg :confused: :blush:

#5345 Stu Pidman

Stu Pidman

• 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:05

Hi Russell, coming along nicely thanks.
I'm waiting for some longer rear suspenders to arrive, going to raise the back about 25mm.
Then its only a matter of drilling and lock wiring as necessary, battery and fuel in, and, with luck, off we go.
Will keep you posted.
One day I might stagger into the 21st century and manage to put up a photo of it.
I will need a teenage mentor to help me.
Cheers, John
PS Some seem to have a fairly high opinion of Mr Degner, one which I don't share.
I think he was a low life rat of a man.

Edited by Stu Pidman, 09 December 2009 - 03:09.

#5346 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:06

So he sighed deeply , pondering if he should take some exercise , or go for a ride on his bike , donned his leather flying jacket , goggles and Cromwell and fired up the Scott as it started to rain rather heavily . Oh , well , he said , it's the car today , which shall it be , the 1966 Saab 96 or the Wartburg :confused: :blush:

Just then, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted his pride and joy. He had neglected her of late and he felt a twinge of guilt as he lovingly caressed her almost sensual body work. He slid smoothly behind the wheel, and as his naked skin touched the cool leather seat (he was wearing short pants), he felt his senses reel.
Ah yes, when all was said and done. the little Trabant was his one true love. :drunk: :lol:

#5347 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:10

.....what have I done...? ..... :|

#5348 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:55

[quote name='GD66' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:10' post='4031634']
.....what have I done...? ..... :|

You've created a best seller GD,thats what you've done.Can't wait for the chapter about the JPS Norton Rotaries!!!!!
HW

#5349 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 18:51

Hi Russell, coming along nicely thanks.
I'm waiting for some longer rear suspenders to arrive, going to raise the back about 25mm.
Then its only a matter of drilling and lock wiring as necessary, battery and fuel in, and, with luck, off we go.
Will keep you posted.
One day I might stagger into the 21st century and manage to put up a photo of it.
I will need a teenage mentor to help me.
Cheers, John
PS Some seem to have a fairly high opinion of Mr Degner, one which I don't share.
I think he was a low life rat of a man.

I heard that he spoke highly of you..... What did he do to you, John?

#5350 Stu Pidman

Stu Pidman

• 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 19:38

He destroyed my faith in him.
He organised his defection to the west, stole as many of Walter's technical drawings as he could, destroyed Walter's dream of a world championship for his own selfish desires.
He may well have been paid to do so as the political value of a world championship to East Germany was something that the west could not tolerate.
A man without principles.
On a more pleasant note, does anyone know how Derek Minter is these days?